Forums > General Industry > Is your photography equipment insured?

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I ask because a local photographer here was on the road, stopped at a freeway rest stop, visited the porcelain facilities, and when he came back out to the car, found that the rear window of his hatchback was broken & all his gear was gone.  He had super-cheap car insurance, and his stolen equipment wasn't covered.  He's in a tough spot.

When I was younger, I had a special personal property insurance for my equipment, which listed each (costly) piece with its serial number, and it would have covered me had I was also robbed like the guy above.  As I got older, my equipment got heavier, and I found I didn't take it out on the road much anymore.  So, I cancelled the personal property policy and instead got an "umbrella" policy to cover pretty much everything in my house (which I use as my "studio").

So, I'm curious -- is your equipment insured?  How so?  Did you ever have to submit a claim, and if so, what happened?

And remember:  You often don't realize you need insurance until after you need it."

Jan 11 15 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

Virtual Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Mine is covered by my general household insurance.

However this is only really an option to me because I am a hobby photographer. If I were a business then I would not be covered and would need separate business insurance.

I'd advise people who go down the household contents route to look very closely at the wording of the policy. Like really closely.

If you're a business then real business level insurance comes out of your before tax dollars - dont cheap out - get covered!

Jan 11 15 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

George Wong

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I think for many hobbyists, the depreciation of your gear is going to make insurance a complete waste of money. It's likely you would buy new stuff to replace the lost/stolen gear anyway.

If you're working tho, you will need other forms of insurance for your business, so it would make sense to bundle your gear too. Over here in Australia we have public liability, business indemnity, property and camera insurance, notwithstanding household, car and health insurance.

Jan 11 15 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Edwards

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

As the old saying goes: Insurance is for those who can't afford to replace.

heehee

Jan 11 15 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

Jennifer J Walsh

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

For sure we are insured, General Liability to cover not only equipment loss/theft but also if someone were to be injured by our equipment or in our space.  Prior to working in photo/video, I worked in insurance so I tend to be extra cautious.  Bottom line is that if there was a catastrophic loss it would not only be financial, it could destroy the business.  The business keeps me in a home, and food in my fridge so it is important - to me - to protect myself and my business in the event of a loss.

Jan 11 15 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

If you're an amateur, it's debatable as to its need. If you're a professional, it should be a no brainer. I've never had to submit a claim, yet, but should something happen to my gear I'm out of business. Period. The $500/year I pay for liability and equipment insurance for equipment to me is a bargain compared to having the devices that support my livelihood be snatched from me because of a break-in, act of god, etc.

Jan 11 15 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

i suck it up and bought all the insurance.  I want to see if i can find a different one though in the philippines.

Jan 11 15 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

derek268

Saint Austell, England, United Kingdom

I am a hobbyist photographer,and i have public liability,and equipment cover,including accidental damage.It costs me £220 per annum,so considering my equipment cost in excess of 10k i think this is good value.I have had 1 claim,for an L series lens that i dropped,and they simply replaced it with a new one.For me,insurance is a definite YES.   D

Jan 12 15 06:18 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

George Wong wrote:
I think for many hobbyists, the depreciation of your gear is going to make insurance a complete waste of money. It's likely you would buy new stuff to replace the lost/stolen gear anyway.

Spoken like a modern day (digital) photographer.  It's funny, though.  The camera & gear this guy lost was a film camera, a Mamiya RB67.  As a favor, I loaned him my Bronica GS1 (6x7) camera with two additional lenses.  I don't know about his Mamiya, but my Bronica is about 30 years old, and I wouldn't trade it for any "modern" 6x7 film camera.  I know, it's not fashionable to have a mostly manual camera.

But on they other hand, sure -- my 4 year old DSLR is obsolete already.  Such is modern photography.

Jan 12 15 08:48 am Link