Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Should I just go to school and get my license?

Model

SuzAnneDeCarma

Dallas, Texas, US

So I am located in Louisiana. Here, we need permits for makeup application and other things. I just graduated college a year ago and afterwards I got my permit for makeup. After two major surgeries this past year, I've been trying to find a decent job in the makeup field. I feel like it's next to impossible. Any job that I've applied for hasn't gotten back to me in weeks and it's just disheartening, even applying for receptionist jobs because I have a background in customer service and business administration. I would love to work in the field because I feel it would really help me out for when I move to Dallas next year. Most clients that I get want hair services too, but I do not offer that service because I am not licensed. So, my question is should I just go to hair school and get the full license? Will not having the license effect me any in Dallas?

Jan 14 15 07:43 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

SuzAnneDeCarma wrote:
Should I just go to school and get my license?

Likely depends heavily on your career aspirations...  And what type of license...

If you aspire to become an agency represented makeup artist (pretty much a norm in major markets) then pursuing an estheticians license is appropriate and germane... the top agency for MUA's in my market request this... However a cosmetologist license is only required for those who cut & color you typically don't need one to style... but using hot tools without adequate training? Maybe rethink this, k?

Yes you'll have to attend an accredited institution in your jurisdiction to license... think of this as a career investment...

Louisiana?  Possibly in the "Big Easy" you'll find potential opportunities albeit once you relocated in the secondary market of Dallas more options are likely to be available... the beauty industry thrives in major markets... hope this makes sense...

Have you consider counter work?  Many of the greats in our industry started their careers in retail... just a thought...

SuzAnneDeCarma wrote:
So, my question is should I just go to hair school and get the full license? Will not having the license effect me any in Dallas?

If you want to work in a salon there are no other options... enough said...

Hope this helps...

All the best on your journey...

Jan 15 15 08:36 am Link

Model

SuzAnneDeCarma

Dallas, Texas, US

Thank you.

What I would like is to build up my business and presence for Dallas. I also act and am being introduced in the music world. I would like to make a living in doing the things I love. I want to create beautiful looks for shows, Photoshoots, and clients. I wanted to get into a salon as a receptionist also. I guess I just want to be prepared to make a living when I move there.

Jan 15 15 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

I never used an MUA that couldn't also do hair. Hope that answers your question.

Jan 15 15 06:41 pm Link

Model

SuzAnneDeCarma

Dallas, Texas, US

I was told that if someone was going to pay for the service then I should be licensed. I'm decent at styling hair. I would just feel uncomfortable to offer a service that I am not licensed for.

Jan 15 15 07:31 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

OK, here goes.  You want to do too many things.  I completely understand that.  Really look at your list and decide what you want to persue as a career.  Makeup?  Acting?  Singing?  I know your trying to make a living and need some direction.  If you are moving to Dallas make your priority that.  Look for the opportunities that are there.  And what you need to make it there.  Don't spend the money for beauty school if you'r not going to be a hairdresser.  Take some money and find a stylist to teach you a few basics with hair that you can use on set.  Have you thought of going to a few salons and ask if you can assist?  Offer makeup services complimentary.   Sweep the floor, clean the color area, offer coffee to the clients?  Answer the phone when needed.  Hand stylists foils, pins.  This sounds crazy but you will learn by watching.  Tell the salon what your goal is and you are willing to work a few hours on their busy days for free.  Yes, FREE.  You'll be surprised how that will become a great learning experience.  One thing will lead to another.  Good luck R-

Jan 16 15 06:15 am Link

Model

SuzAnneDeCarma

Dallas, Texas, US

rick lesser wrote:
OK, here goes.  You want to do too many things.  I completely understand that.  Really look at your list and decide what you want to persue as a career.  Makeup?  Acting?  Singing?  I know your trying to make a living and need some direction.  If you are moving to Dallas make your priority that.  Look for the opportunities that are there.  And what you need to make it there.  Don't spend the money for beauty school if you'r not going to be a hairdresser.  Take some money and find a stylist to teach you a few basics with hair that you can use on set.  Have you thought of going to a few salons and ask if you can assist?  Offer makeup services complimentary.   Sweep the floor, clean the color area, offer coffee to the clients?  Answer the phone when needed.  Hand stylists foils, pins.  This sounds crazy but you will learn by watching.  Tell the salon what your goal is and you are willing to work a few hours on their busy days for free.  Yes, FREE.  You'll be surprised how that will become a great learning experience.  One thing will lead to another.  Good luck R-

Thanks! That helps out ALOT! I just wanted to see if it would be a disadvantage if I didn't go to school. I don't want to be doing something illegal at all. Also, since I was told that I can not charge for styling hair since I am not licensed (I guess in the state of Louisiana). How would I go about inquiries?

Jan 16 15 12:11 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

True.  You can't charge for doing hair if you are not licensed.  However, if your doing hair and makeup on a paid shoot, then you can get paid.  Usually the photographer will tie care of that.  R-

Jan 16 15 03:35 pm Link