Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Easy Website Builder with Shopping Cart

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Who are your favorite service providers for simple e-commerce website templates with a trouble free shopping cart and checkout?

- I want to make a new handful of simple stand-alone websites for unrelated niche market items. Maybe 10 websites.

- Each website will have it's own look and feel, depending on the product line.

- To remain low profile, I prefer independent stand alone websites that are not obviously connected with each other. In other words, I don't want the prying eyes of competitors and busybodies to easily connect the dots to everything I do.

- Typical number of SKU's or products per website would be a product line of 16-24 items.

- I want to simplify and automate as much as possible.

----

My current merchant account for receiving credit cards, etc., is Paypal. I know Paypal has been trouble for some people, but for me they have been trouble free for many years. 

I have had an account at ebay since 2002. I was actively selling in the early heyday of Ebay, but I am out of touch with what's happening there now. I have lots of accumulated random stuff in many categories that might be good to set up as a part time business that can be delegated to an assistant. I am interested in knowing the currently popular seller tools there too. Batch uploading, shipping management, etc.

Is anyone actively selling on Amazon? I have not had a sellers account with them and would like feedback on that too.

---

Do you have any other favorite seller tools for mail list management, contact managers, auto-responders, etc.?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

Jan 19 15 09:35 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

If anyone would prefer to discuss this privately, I welcome that too.

[email protected]

Jan 19 15 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Hey Click! You might want to look at Amazon or Buy.com (rakuten) if these are new items.

link for the Buy.com sellers page - http://www.rakuten.com/sell/?scid=em_Pr … adid=17917

If you are wanting something fairly simple you can host on linux hosting accounts that will enable you to use your PP merchant account you should look at OS Commerce. It has been years since I used it, but did a complete rewrite of the code to customize for someone back then. Very powerful and can work well.

I am not to sure about some of the companies that offer small shopping cart sites, everything I have ever done has been for high volume sites (min 10k shoppers/month).

Jan 19 15 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Thanks Kev. I will look at Rakuten.

An ambitious friend started working for them in Osaka early last year. I just sent her an email for advice or guidance.

They are growing fast.

Jan 19 15 10:07 am Link

Artist/Painter

JJMiller

Buffalo, New York, US

Lets see, there is webs, wix, shopify, web.com, godaddy, plus things like wordpress, drupal, etc. if you want to get more geeky about it. I know there are more just can't remember at the moment- I'd advise looking at the plans and seeing which suits you best.

Jan 19 15 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Is iContact still popular for email marketing?

Jan 19 15 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
Is iContact still popular for email marketing?

I still get spam from a lot of places I have visited in the past from them. wink

Jan 19 15 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

JJMiller wrote:
Lets see, there is webs, wix, shopify, web.com, godaddy, plus things like wordpress, drupal, etc. if you want to get more geeky about it. I know there are more just can't remember at the moment- I'd advise looking at the plans and seeing which suits you best.

I know there are bazillions. I'm asking here for personal favorites that mm members use themselves.

I definitely don't want to get geeky. I want to be simple, to-the-point and effective. I want my customers to input their information with their credit card, and I want auto-responders. I want my job to be organizing in advance, preparing the product for instant shipping, then slapping a label on the box as soon as the order comes in.

I'm trying to choose my services carefully to avoid wasting time trying fix bugs and solving problems. The more off-the-shelf these products are, the better.

I prefer to avoid the bells & whistles in favor of straight forward marketing effectiveness. I want my product presentation to dominate the website, and not the other way around.

I'm looking for the most popular current marketing tools to automate as much as possible. Since these things are always changing, I'm looking for the current popular industry leaders for online shopping, designed for small businesses.

Having good application software set up properly can make or break a business.

---

Back in the DOS days when I was graduating from my Radio ShackTRS80 with 8" floppies for printing Avery stick labels to a couple of slick ATT6300's, I was morphing my business from more traditional mail order advertising, trade shows and trade publication display ads to computer based contact management, mail list massaging and orchestrated telephone sales.

I met a guy named Michael McCafferty who was selling his TeleMagic ver 1.0 out of the trunk of his car for $100 a pop. That was an amazing relational database that filtered and organized my sales, mail campaigns and phone calls for me. His software literally made millions of dollars for me in the mid to late 80's with products I designed and manufactured myself in Taiwan during the so-called "Golden Years." That was before Mainland China opened up to Americans in a similar way. With TeleMagic, I was able to build and manage 11,000 wholesale customers myself with all the intimate details at my fingertips. Yee-haaa!

For 2015, I want to retrench, reorganize and simplify again. This time with little personal time involvement. I love talking with my customers, but I don't want to be a salesperson. I would rather write and post ad copy, then leave and let Internet do it's thing 24/7.

I want something easy and low key. I prefer small income streams from multiple sources, diversified. I would like to cut my own time involvement to something like 5 days a month. The rest I want to package so it can be run by an executive assistant, part time. For the other 25 days I prefer to travel somewhere, meet people, work on other projects, play with my photography, or explore new opportunities.

I always enjoy pondering what's over the next horizon. Hence, this thread. I want to draw upon our collective wisdom and build a fresh new structure for the 3-5 years to come.  Maybe we can help each other.

A walk down memory lane:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TeleMagic

Jan 19 15 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Does anyone prefer using PayPal's Buy-It-Now buttons as a short cut over shopping basket checkout?

If there is no need for buying multiple items, it seems to be an instant way of quickly consummating a sale without making the customer do a lot of typing.

It's easy to use credit cards in place of PayPal for those who don't use PayPal.

The code is free and easy from PayPal.

-----

What about SMS marketing with something like Tatango. It's pretty slick for customers who want to follow what we do. Easy to opt in or out. It can be very enjoyable and non-invasive.

Is anyone using these techniques to sell their products or message yet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_marketing

Jan 20 15 10:08 am Link