Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Best techniques to avoid contour aberration

Photographer

rod63

Rome, Lazio, Italy

I have tried several methods to select models and isolate them from background in order to place them in a different scene or use textures as background, but apparently I can never get it perfect.
I will be glad for any hint/suggestion to bring the selection near to perfection.
I usually use the quick selection tool and the refine edge plus use brush on the mask to furtherly improve the selection.
Thanks

Jan 22 15 07:46 am Link

Retoucher

Pictus

Teresópolis, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

If the FG(foreground) object have a Complementary Color to the BG(background), then you have to change the Photoshop Color Settings(SHIFT+CTRL+K) to enable Blend RGB Colors Using Gamma 1, but be advised that this option will also alter the transparency gradient of the layers masks, I mean how it fades from solid to transparent.

If it is not the case for complementary colors, then you have to be careful with CA(chromatic aberrations) and sharpening halos as they may be enhanced by Refine Edge Decontaminate Colors.

This was made by Topaz ReMask + Vertus Fluid Mask + Photoshop tools smile
https://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt136/Pictus171/WEB%20stuff/squirrel.gif

Jan 22 15 09:15 am Link

Retoucher

a k mac

London, England, United Kingdom

Pictus wrote:
If the FG(foreground) object have a Complementary Color to the BG(background), then you have to change the Photoshop Color Settings(SHIFT+CTRL+K) to enable Blend RGB Colors Using Gamma 1, but be advised that this option will also alter the transparency gradient of the layers masks, I mean how it fades from solid to transparent.

Thanks for this -  I've completely overlooked that setting in all the years I've been using Photoshop. I'm going to experiment.

Jan 22 15 11:03 am Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

I can't think of a good reason not to blend in gamma 1 (other than legacy lock-in)

Jan 22 15 11:11 am Link

Retoucher

ST Retouch

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

Pictus wrote:

If it is not the case for complementary colors, then you have to be careful with CA(chromatic aberrations) and sharpening halos as they may be enhanced by Refine Edge Decontaminate Colors.

Pictus thanks for posting,  I know for this technique , sometimes I use this technique for work where files are not to complex for extraction .
I found this technique problematic when it comes with very complex files , for example very problematic files with transparent fabric .

Did you try with this technique to extract file with complex transparent fabric without any halo edges and without even one dead pixel on 100% view?

I have tried but I could not achieve perfect extraction with this technique , for complex files I use different techniques.

I am very curios did you try this technique with transparent fabric and which results you get?

Thank you
Best
ST

Jan 22 15 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

Pelle Piano

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

[ Edit ] Sorry, was not on the right subject.

Jan 22 15 01:38 pm Link

Retoucher

Pictus

You are welcome guys.

AKMac,
Try to place a model with red dress into a BG with green grass.

NothingIsRealButTheGirl,
I like how colors blend in gamma 1, but do not like how the mask blend
in gamma 1, the ideal solution for me would be to use gamma 1 only for
the layer and not for the mask.

ST Retouch,
I almost always use gamma 1 and do not remember any specific case when
dealing with transparent fabric and complementary colors.

Jan 22 15 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

rod63

Rome, Lazio, Italy

Well thanks. I just read this reply and as you might imagine I never tried gamma 1.
I will search for more info on the internet and give it a try.
It sounds like it's the way to go!

Jan 22 15 09:20 pm Link

Retoucher

a k mac

London, England, United Kingdom

I've experimented with the "Blend Colors using Gamma" option in Color Settings, and I can see that it could be very useful in certain scenarios. I got the best results by changing the gamma values between 1 and 2.20 using Shift + up/down while watching the results in real time. When I got the best blend of figure/BG using this technique, I merged the result and then reset the Color Settings back to the default.

Jan 22 15 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

rod63

Rome, Lazio, Italy

I didn't have a chance to give it a try yet, will do probably later today.
Do you change to gamma blending mode AFTER selection and BEFORE overlapping the selection with a different background?

Jan 23 15 06:32 am Link

Retoucher

Pictus

At the overlapping/merge/save time, but best use at the beginning to avoid surprises...

Jan 23 15 08:02 am Link

Retoucher

yelssingsRetouch

Miami, Florida, US

Pictus wrote:

Question Pictus how did you make this before and after or how did you post it? image on MM, making the before and affter transition.

Jan 23 15 08:17 am Link

Retoucher

Pictus

it is an animated GIF https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9TN5tPcfIs
send the GIF to a file server and post the link here like this  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4686872/img_lnk.png.

Jan 23 15 11:44 am Link