Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > (Don't) Contact Us

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

>>>>>  Curmudgeon Warning  >>>>>

More & more, I'm finding corporations that hide their "Contact Us" list;, and more & more I'm not being able to find any "Contact Us" link at all.  This bugs me.

I have an excellent suggestion I want to give Amazon, but I can't for the life of me find anyplace where I can submit it.

On a separate note, more & more I'm finding products (especially software) that rely upon their "Community Forums" to answer technical support questions.

I'm not sure I want to do business with companies that don't want to communicate with their customers.

Do you?

Jan 22 15 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I also cannot stand this practice. Usually a web search can turn up the correct contact info.

BTW, Amazon will call you immediately or you can wait 5 minutes and they will call -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact- … kip=true#b

Jan 22 15 01:52 pm Link

Artist/Painter

JJMiller

Buffalo, New York, US

Software wise, I find most of the time I can resolve my problem with a quick web search, and if I get really stuck a tech site/forum or IRC. Obviously, the more complex the software the more a tech support person needs to know, and honestly most of the time they will end up looking at the same web page you found in your search.

That's one of the cool things about using open source software- not only do you have super geeks in the community, but sometimes the actual coders get in contact as well.

I did a search for "contact amazon" and the first hit was their contact page.

Jan 22 15 01:56 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
On a separate note, more & more I'm finding products (especially software) that rely upon their "Community Forums" to answer technical support questions.

I assist a family member with a ecommerce site that is hosted by a company that does all their tech support via "Tech FAQ" and a "Tech Forum".

The "Tech FAQ" section is an index of archived forum discussions not only about problems and issues, but also about free modules for enhancement of your own site and how to make them work on their platform.

The "Tech Forum" is monitored most hours of the day by a company representative.  The company person is nearly always the first person to jump in a new discussion and offer assistance...most of the time it is a link to an archived discussion where step by step trouble shooting has already been provided. 

In this case, I feel like their system of tech support works pretty well.

Jan 22 15 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

R80

Marceline, Missouri, US

You want to speak to a human?  Wheee boy!  Wait until you get on a few telemarketing lists!

Jan 24 15 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

Warren Leimbach

Tampa, Florida, US

I approve this rant.

I would also add:
Magazines and newspapers that make it impossible to reach a news desk or find their submission guidelines.

Jan 24 15 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Yup, Amazon is pretty easy to get in touch with.

Other companies, yes, there are plenty that make it a game of hide and go seek and you have no way of knowing if the information you seek is even out there.

It seems like more and more companies feel that once they have your money that is all they need to be worried about, and if they are worried about anything else, it is having you buy from them again ASAP, not really any concern that what you bought works.

You're not the only curmudgeon, I am constantly finding myself wishing things were the way they used to be, and feeling like I don't really understand how things are.    Once upon a time, I remember feeling cutting edge and ahead of the curve as far as technology, but now I feel totally lost and as if the world has passed me by.

Jan 25 15 12:29 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
>>>>>  Curmudgeon Warning  >>>>>

More & more, I'm finding corporations that hide their "Contact Us" list;, and more & more I'm not being able to find any "Contact Us" link at all.  This bugs me.

I have an excellent suggestion I want to give Amazon, but I can't for the life of me find anyplace where I can submit it.

(888) 280-3321

Jan 25 15 12:52 am Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

Amazon.com, click "help" at the top of the page, then click "contact us" about the middle of the page. They'll give you the option to email or call in your concerns.

Jan 25 15 09:54 am Link