Forums > Photography Talk > Specific battery for my light meter

Photographer

Tom Linkens

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

I am in need of a specific battery for my light meter. After using up a Maxell Super Power Ace red, which are no longer being made, and discovering that regular batteries don't work as well. Are there any others that can be used as a suitable replacement for the Maxell battery?

Jan 24 15 08:00 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

You probably want a lithium AA if that is the size of your Red battery.  Some of them seem to have a little more open circuit voltage too, maybe 1.7 volts vs. 1.5 volts.  The old NiCad AA's were something like 1.3 volts.

I'm having an issue with an EverReady Energizer #CR2430 3 volt button cell where it measures out to be 2.8 volts new, and the Sony made one measures out to be 3.2 volts.  The ScaleMaster electronic roller ruler uses two of them and with the Sony it works as it is over 6 volts, but with the new Energizers it works out to be 5.6 volts for the new pair and it throws up a "Battery Low" warning.  Energizer sent me a free replacement coupon, but still the voltage measures lower with theirs than the Sony which I cannot find (Which came in the ScaleMaster too.).  Don't know why their batteries have a lower voltage and they said it shouldn't be that way as the expiration was way off in the distance too.  Dunno.

Jan 24 15 08:19 am Link

Photographer

Photos_by_Stan

Youngstown, Ohio, US

What brand is meter ... what size battery ??

I think that Lithium batteries are more expensive IF you use it constantly wouldn't be such a good deal ...
they are built with a higher charge to last in storage ( around 10 year shelf life, I think  )

3 volt batteries , I stick to Surefire
Most of my stuff use AA and I buy packs of Eveready and Duracell when they are on sale for about $0.50 a battery

I have tried so called "photo" and "Long Life" batteries
( actually those were the most expensive and WORST batteries I ever bought )
Most of those actually had less voltage or 'dead' cells in the packs than a so called normal AA

Not available ( at least not around me ) , but Varta batteries outdid all of them

I check every battery with a digital meter before it goes into any of my camera equipment
( not one of those little good / bad pointer toys )
MOST are fine , but I would say 1 in 40 have a low reading and get set aside for other things like flashlight of clocks

Jan 24 15 08:42 am Link

Photographer

Tom Linkens

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

Photos by Stan wrote:
What brand is meter ... what size battery ??

AA and my meter is a Sekonic L-308S.

Jan 29 15 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

GRMACK wrote:
You probably want a lithium AA if that is the size of your Red battery.  Some of them seem to have a little more open circuit voltage too, maybe 1.7 volts vs. 1.5 volts.  The old NiCad AA's were something like 1.3 volts.

I'm having an issue with an EverReady Energizer #CR2430 3 volt button cell where it measures out to be 2.8 volts new, and the Sony made one measures out to be 3.2 volts.  The ScaleMaster electronic roller ruler uses two of them and with the Sony it works as it is over 6 volts, but with the new Energizers it works out to be 5.6 volts for the new pair and it throws up a "Battery Low" warning.  Energizer sent me a free replacement coupon, but still the voltage measures lower with theirs than the Sony which I cannot find (Which came in the ScaleMaster too.).  Don't know why their batteries have a lower voltage and they said it shouldn't be that way as the expiration was way off in the distance too.  Dunno.

Sony CR2430 Lithium Coin Battery
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-CR2430-Lithi … B000AAW1J8

(the formulation in  Hui Feng branded CR2025 measures 3.2V)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-pcs-CR2430-D … 1580791767
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

L-308S Flashmate - Technical Specifications
http://www.sekonic.com/products/l-308s/ … tions.aspx
Battery(Power) -->  Type AA 1.5V Battery alkaline, manganese or lithium   -- (no brand or preferred chemistry type specified)

Go with Lithium - or industrial alkaline --  if nothing else they last longer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DURACELL-PR … 1634762904

Jan 29 15 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Photos by Lorrin

Eugene, Oregon, US

I have that same meter.  I think my meter is 15 years old and was used a lot - until I stopped shooting weddings.

I have used almost every brand of  alkaline AA, including some MiNH.

Never had a problem with any of them.

Jan 29 15 08:32 pm Link