Forums > Critique > Time to break up my website portfolio

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

http://www.JohnAllanStudio.com/Portfolio.html

I've been putting it off for too long. My portfolio on my website is just getting too long.
I think I need to break it up into multiple image strips (multiple portfolios so to speak).

Looking for suggestions on ways to categorize the images, that would be appropriate for my specific work. I'm familiar with a few approaches, but many don't really fit it seems.

Jan 25 15 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

cheshiredave

Oakland, California, US

You can't really break it up by category, since more or less the images all fall into the same category, minus the occasional beauty shot. You can't even separate men from women in your case. The thing I've seen others do that might work for you is to simply break it into "Book 1," "Book 2," etc.

Or just whittle down to your very best and let the rest go.

Good luck!

Jan 25 15 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

L O C U T U S

Bangor, Maine, US

Show them only your absolute best.
If you really feel you must show as many as possible, then that's okay too. smile
Just break it up into multiple pages, and put a certain amount of photos on each of the pages.

Jan 25 15 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Hi there,
I know you didn't ask but the category for Pricing says Priciing.  I would fix that.  As far as categories though yeah I don't know.  I agree with the previous poster.  I don't see a good way for you to really break up your work because it does look similar overall and you don't even have enough guys and girls to split things up that way either.  However, maybe you have more pictures somewhere that we are not seeing.  I'm just judging from what I am seeing.  The website looks nice though.

Jan 25 15 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Thanks for pointing out the misspelling. Much appreciated.
Yep, what you''ve pointed out is indeed the dilemma.

Some mentioned show only your best - any I should get rid of?

Maybe it is just down to having to do book 1, 2, 3, 4

Jan 26 15 02:42 pm Link

Digital Artist

AbbeyMarie

San Antonio, Texas, US

I''d go by book 1,2,3,etc. But maybe try and keep it to three maximum. I try and keep 20-25 pieces max.

I have seen it done by year before, but I''m not a fan of that personally.

Jan 26 15 11:51 pm Link