Forums > General Industry > refuse shoot due to models drug and alcohol issues

Photographer

Daren King

Santa Monica, California, US

I have known a girl since she was 16 when we did a shoot for a clothing line.  I met her mother and father and they were really nice people.

She is now 19 and in the meantime I had a feeling she might have gotten into drugs and alcohol. 

Two weeks ago she messaged me out of the blue and asked if I had any paid modeling opportunities for her.  I let her know that basically the only sure thing paid gigs  I had were nude shoots.    She said she was willing.

However, when I checked out her FB page I saw people had posted stuff in the last few months showing concern for her and if she needed help she could always contact them and stuff like that.

When I talked to her on the phone she sounded different and she said she needed money and that's why she is willing to pose nude.

In my opinion she is making this decision to pay a drug habit and therefore isn't thinking clearly.

Should I refuse the shoot ?

Jan 27 15 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Since you know her - this is maybe a time where I'd do what I usually don't do with models and that is to meet for coffee or have her come for a couple preliminary snapshots. You can then judge for yourself if she's able to function as a model - if not, you can be straight forward with her about the reason; rather than just prejudging her based on random Internet chatter.

Jan 27 15 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

I think you don't have enough info yet.  you sound like you care,  I wouldn't personally get involved but if she and her family are your friends i understand.  good luck.

Jan 27 15 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

Yes, you definitely need to talk to her. I wouldn't assume anything, but be ready to help her in any way you can - aside from feeding an alleged habit by paying her to get nude.
-Don

Jan 27 15 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

Natural Light on Location

Fort Worth, Texas, US

Girls who pose nude for the fun of it, or it's their job, or they just want to try it? Okay. But girls who are only doing it for the money is another story. Especially if they are desperate, and they are somebody you have a history with.

You say you met the parents, I'd call her Mom and ask her how she (Mom) would feel about it.

You'll probably get an earfull, a backstory, a Thank You, and dodge a bullet.

Jan 27 15 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

PhotographybyT

Monterey, California, US

Tell her your concerns and see how she responds. If what you suspect to be true then proceed appropriately.

Jan 27 15 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographic Aspirations

Long Beach, California, US

Treat her like you would want your wife , gf, sister or daughter treated .... Sounds like your already concerned. If she is in a bad way for $ or drugs offer her help if she accepts professional help.

Take small steps, proceed with care.

F  A

Jan 27 15 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

I would talk to her face to face before making any decision
You are making lots of unsubstantiated assumptions

Jan 27 15 11:35 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Daren King wrote:
I have known a girl since she was 16 when we did a shoot for a clothing line.  I met her mother and father and they were really nice people.

She is now 19 and in the meantime I had a feeling she might have gotten into drugs and alcohol. 

Two weeks ago she messaged me out of the blue and asked if I had any paid modeling opportunities for her.  I let her know that basically the only sure thing paid gigs  I had were nude shoots.    She said she was willing.

However, when I checked out her FB page I saw people had posted stuff in the last few months showing concern for her and if she needed help she could always contact them and stuff like that.

When I talked to her on the phone she sounded different and she said she needed money and that's why she is willing to pose nude.

In my opinion she is making this decision to pay a drug habit and therefore isn't thinking clearly.

Considering you know her parents and her personally and she contacted you needing money and not necessarily wanting to pose nude I would really consider this a total hot mess and not shoot. How will you feel when her parents find out? How will you feel when she sobers up and comes to say that she never wants those photos to see the light of day, or miraculously, she could love shooting nude so much that she sobers up clean right there and becomes your go to model.

I do not think the last would happen.

However, if you decide to shoot her I also recommend a pre meet to get a sense of what is really going on with her and to see what  your gut says.

Jen

Jan 28 15 03:07 am Link

Photographer

Jay Edwards

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I have turned away models who ''needed the money'' if I suspected less-than-ideal circumstances.  During a few shoots, it seemed that some models had issues and so I would not ask them to return (but would finish the shoot before sending them on their way).  I was an employer not a caretaker.

Unlike your situation, I had not previously met them (of their family) so it was easy to not get involved.  If you have concerns then meet with her beforehand and ''interview'' her for the job before making your decision.  Good luck.

Jan 28 15 05:08 am Link

Photographer

Glamour International

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I started a shoot with a model that had been smoking weed the night before. After 3 shoots if was obvious that she was not capable of doing her job so I canceled the shoot. Her problems in like continued and she spiraled off the map. I haven't had anything to do with her since.

So just say NO to anything that is connected with drugs. At least, you can loose a shoot. At worst, you can get drawn in by trying to help, and then you life is disrupted.

Jan 28 15 05:25 am Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

Daren King wrote:

Probably.

What's in it for you - doing the shoot in the first place? This isn't someone you pursued, this is someone who contacted you to pay them. If you're willing to pay for a shoot, then you should have no problem finding a model you'd really like to shoot.

Basically, you consider there to be a risk to this shoot, but there's no reward beyond what you'd get setting up a shoot with another model where there's no risk.

Jan 28 15 05:56 am Link

Photographer

PopCultPinups

San Antonio, Texas, US

I'm also gonna throw in that IF she is into drugs, and you haven't seen a recent photo of her, she might look like shit. Why would you want to pay a model that looks strung out? I say meet with her first and assess the situation.

Jan 28 15 06:23 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey T Rue

Saint Pete Beach, Florida, US

Although I do have my personal thoughts about accepting (Booking) unreliable people. If your mind has an idea for a shoot that she .."as she is" would be perfect for or you build the set to inspire said Image and model you are working with..then let it go..Don't expect a (trying to think a good analogy..without offense) Photo you want to look like a Lamborghini Veneno when you are shooting a 73 Volkswagen Bug.

Shot as you see her..that's the art.. find her points of interest and appeal to them in what you are trying to capture from her. She will feel more comfortable and "less likely stiff from being judged.."

If YOU DON'T (feel Comfortable) or she is not in your imagination of what you want to capture at this time.. respectfully decline but you may be giving up what could be, If shot right, some of your best images ever.

Jan 28 15 07:06 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Sounds like she is looking for drug money. I think you would probably want to talk to her about that, before doing the shoot. You should not be contributing to her problem.

Jan 28 15 09:32 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Natural Light on Location wrote:
Girls who pose nude for the fun of it, or it's their job, or they just want to try it? Okay. But girls who are only doing it for the money is another story. Especially if they are desperate, and they are somebody you have a history with.

You say you met the parents, I'd call her Mom and ask her how she (Mom) would feel about it.

I wouldn't call her mom unless you are already on a fairly intimate "family-friend" basis.  The young lady is 19 and there are several other possible reasons why she needs money desperately, that may be better left unknown.

If your relationship is that close, you might want to speak to her, but before you do, realize that if drugs and/or alcohol are the problem, (and this from someone with experience on both sides of the dependency problem) there is probably nothing that you can do that will help without ultimately feeding the problem.  That's not to say that you shouldn't try to help if you can but also be prepared to give this help with no strings attached.  More importantly, be prepared to say no when she comes around again (and if it's dependency related it's almost certain that she will).

Substance dependency issues are tough, both on the dependent person and on the person who tries to help  them.  Getting involved in them can only do more harm than good if you're not ready to make what's likely to be a very long and serious commitment. 

All IMHO as always, of course.

Jan 28 15 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

ESR Photography

Austin, Texas, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
I would talk to her face to face before making any decision
You are making lots of unsubstantiated assumptions

This.

Jan 28 15 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i think that posing nude for money is common? does it really matter why they need the money?

to me the bigger issue is whether you think she would be a good model under the circumstances. then again you can't believe everything you read on the internet. maybe you should just be upfront with her. you read the allegations and let her know she has to be sober in order to model for you. but if she's an addict watch out. those folks are TROUBLE.

if any of my models have been drunk or on drugs it wasn't so bad that i noticed. sometimes it can show up in the eyes. and pot smell is enough to make me run for fresh air.

Jan 28 15 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

Daren King

Santa Monica, California, US

Jen B wrote:

How will you feel when her parents find out? How will you feel when she sobers up and comes to say that she never wants those photos to see the light of day, or miraculously,

I know what I am about to say will offend some people BUT......females have a habit of blaming men and accusing men of sexual misconduct when they have regret.

I believe there is a strong possibility that if she has a drug/alcohol problem and we shot nude, she and her friends/family would later accuse me of taking advantage of her when she was in a troubled time.

Therefore, I have decided against shooting with her.

Jan 28 15 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Daren King wrote:

And you base this on FB posts fer christsakes
https://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Sheldon-Furiously-Throws-Papers-On-The-Ground-On-Big-Bang-Theory.gif

Jan 29 15 12:32 am Link

Photographer

Glamour by Glenn

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

Daren King wrote:

I know what I am about to say will offend some people BUT......females have a habit of blaming men and accusing men of sexual misconduct when they have regret.

I believe there is a strong possibility that if she has a drug/alcohol problem and we shot nude, she and her friends/family would later accuse me of taking advantage of her when she was in a troubled time.

Good idea for several reasons. Although a great majority of women would never ruin a man's reputation and life based on regret for a bad decision on their part, a person who is an addict would probably be more likely to do so.

Jan 29 15 01:33 am Link

Photographer

Jay Edwards

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Daren King wrote:

I can understand your decision to avoid possible drama.

Yes, there are people who make false claims in order to provide cover for their own behavior.

Jan 29 15 04:56 am Link

Photographer

Expression Unlimited

Oceanside, California, US

Natural Light on Location wrote:

agreed.

PLUS you might be able to get her passionate about it and love it
after all if you dont shoot her just for money others probably will......
but if she's not really into it and just needs money
she will regret and hate you for it - you may have parents after you for facilitating money for who knows what as well...

Jan 29 15 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Black Mountain, North Carolina, US

Jen B wrote:

Considering you know her parents and her personally and she contacted you needing money and not necessarily wanting to pose nude I would really consider this a total hot mess and not shoot. How will you feel when her parents find out? How will you feel when she sobers up and comes to say that she never wants those photos to see the light of day, or miraculously, she could love shooting nude so much that she sobers up clean right there and becomes your go to model.

I do not think the last would happen.

However, if you decide to shoot her I also recommend a pre meet to get a sense of what is really going on with her and to see what  your gut says.

Jen

Meet with her and assess for yourself. If it's apparent that she's on a downhill slope, join with her parents in supporting  her in getting professional help, but by no means become an enabler by helping her to get money to support an addiction.

Jan 30 15 09:35 am Link