Forums > Photography Talk > Canon's new High MP

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

According to PR...Canon is finally catching up to what Nikon did 3 years ago. High MP.  They also have a new entry 750d with Sony's? 24.3mp.  And will the new 5D mark something have 3 different version? And will Canon use the new 50 plus MP?? From Sony also???

http://photorumors.com/2015/01/19/the-l … -rumors-5/

Jan 28 15 01:02 am Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

I'm curious about the supposed Canon 5Ds and partially about the Canon 5D Mark IV.
About the sensor I think that Canon remains faithful in its production.
I hope that their sensor, finally, catch up the Sony, about dynamic range and high iso performance.

Jan 28 15 02:42 am Link

Photographer

Stay Young Photography

Cocoa, Florida, US

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:
According to PR...Canon is finally catching up to what Nikon did 3 years ago. High MP.  They also have a new entry 750d with Sony's? 24.3mp.  And will the new 5D mark something have 3 different version? And will Canon use the new 50 plus MP?? From Sony also???

http://photorumors.com/2015/01/19/the-l … -rumors-5/

I can only imagine what the files would be like with a 53 MP camera.

Jan 28 15 03:55 am Link

Photographer

Personality Imaging

Hoover, Alabama, US

I could care less about any ISO other than 100 but I would love 53 Mpixels for big prints and pixel level editing.

Jan 28 15 04:13 am Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

No more Canon here no matter the pixels.
Done and dusted!

Jan 28 15 06:13 am Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

R.EYE.R wrote:
No more Canon here no matter the pixels.
Done and dusted!

Soon it will be that for me too.  Getting my Fuji X-T1 next week.  More pixels has never been the answer.  Yes, it has it's place but it's a rare occasion for the common photographer or even pro that ever needs more than 24.  Hell, I was fine at 12.

Anything that is printed huge is going to be observed from a distance anyways.  And we all have large prints that look fantastic that were shot with 16mp and less.  I've seen 30x40inch prints from 12 mp cameras that I swear were shot medium format film. 

But I'm sure the pixel peepers will rejoice.

Jan 28 15 07:00 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Dynamic range is over rated so are pixels. It's all gimmicks to make you spend.  When you get a client he doesn't care about your pixels or your dynamic range...lol The 5d3 is fine the way it is, I couldn't be happier.  You can make a billboard from a 6megapixel image so more isn't really necessary. More isn't  always better either. There are other ways to improve your dynamic range, use multiple exposures, hdr, etc.

Jan 28 15 07:14 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Marin Photography NYC wrote:
Dynamic range is over rated so are pixels. It's all gimmicks to make you spend.  When you get a client he doesn't care about your pixels or your dynamic range...lol The 5d3 is fine the way it is, I couldn't be happier.

It's not overrated. It's the primary reason why I'd chose my Sony A99 when it first came out.

Jan 28 15 07:21 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Legacys 7 wrote:

It's not overrated. It's the primary reason why I'd chose my Sony A99 when it first came out.

It is over rated but it's a matter of opinion.  You like more DR, some people might feel they need it some don't.  I don't care for it.  big_smile

Jan 28 15 07:25 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

It's about time for Canon to do something in sensor land and quit building cameras like it was 2005.  Might stop some from moving to Nikon, although Nikon will probably counter with a 60-72 MP in the near future if Canon does to thwart off people  going the opposite direction too.  Wouldn't at all be surprised if Nikon has something on their design boards right now either.

I do find there are times even with 36 MP that a tightly cropped image is much better than the full frame version.  Might be only 6 MP in crop and I wish it were more.  Pixels do help there as an afterthought with cropping.  These cell phones that have 50 MP use all that pixel space to make up for not having a telephoto lens within it (i.e. Digital zoom.).

Plus, terabyte hard drives can handle storage and are pretty cheap.  Don't want all the MP, then just dial it down.

Jan 28 15 07:32 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

GRMACK wrote:
It's about time for Canon to do something in sensor land and quit building cameras like it was 2005.  Might stop some from moving to Nikon, although Nikon will probably counter with a 60-72 MP in the near future if Canon does to thwart off people  going the opposite direction too.  Wouldn't at all be surprised if Nikon has something on their design boards right now either.

I do find there are times even with 36 MP that a tightly cropped image is much better than the full frame version.  Might be only 6 MP in crop and I wish it were more.  Pixels do help there as an afterthought with cropping.  These cell phones that have 50 MP use all that pixel space to make up for not having a telephoto lens within it (i.e. Digital zoom.).

Plus, terabyte hard drives can handle storage and are pretty cheap.  Don't want all the MP, then just dial it down.

The New Canon High End MP Cameras will have Sony Sensors. And Soon to Follow will be Nikon's new D8something and Along with Sony's New 7rll or 9r. Even Canon's new entry level camera 750D will have Sony's 24mp. Canon finally got the picture with Sony's Sensors.

Jan 28 15 07:40 am Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

The question is not as much DR or pixels as driving consumerism through releasing slightly improved models with few more bells and whistles more often so that people will spend, spend, spend.
This is where planned obsolescence becomes norm and mediocrity is thriving.

In truth, Canon's CFA strategy is most disappointing to me as well as degradation of sensor readout with video and live view.
I understand that Canon has chosen a certain niche in the market and that they want to be jack-of-all-trades, they are certainly masters of none.

Jan 28 15 07:41 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

My Canon rep hinted that the sensor in the new 5D would be the 46mp Sony sensor that has been shown recently. 53mp is only a 15% or so increase, but it does mean that t may be a Canon sensor.

Which isn't necessarily better or worse ... Just interesting to see which models do and don't switch.

Jan 28 15 10:26 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Zack Zoll wrote:
My Canon rep hinted that the sensor in the new 5D would be the 46mp Sony sensor that has been shown recently. 53mp is only a 15% or so increase, but it does mean that t may be a Canon sensor.

Which isn't necessarily better or worse ... Just interesting to see which models do and don't switch.

Sony will be making Canon it's new Sensors for the new 750D 24.2mp and the 53mp....but i have not heard anyone say Sony will be making a 46mp. They announced a FF 50mp plus.

Jan 28 15 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

It is over rated but it's a matter of opinion.  You like more DR, some people might feel they need it some don't.  I don't care for it.  big_smile

Overrated for you.

Jan 28 15 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Dynamic range is over rated so are pixels. It's all gimmicks to make you spend.  When you get a client he doesn't care about your pixels

Wrong. I have many commercial clients I shoot for. I can assure you, when I tell them I'm shooting at 36 megapixels, they care.

Jan 28 15 11:07 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

Dynamic range is over rated so are pixels. It's all gimmicks to make you spend.  When you get a client he doesn't care about your pixels

Shot By Adam wrote:
Wrong. I have many commercial clients I shoot for. I can assure you, when I tell them I'm shooting at 36 megapixels, they care.

+1  To a point where the specs are dictated by the client during the bid process.

Jan 28 15 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i don't need more megapixels unless it's just to impress a client.

what i'd like is a proper 5D MK III. basically the 6D inside the 5D MK III casing.

beyond that i'm intrigued by the $6K medium format digital camera (can't remember if it was pentax or someone else).

we're doing some early spring cleaning at the house and i found some old film-based prints. film was so much more jazzy than digital. but i imagine there will come a time when you can't even get film developed anymore.

Jan 28 15 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:

Sony will be making Canon it's new Sensors for the new 750D 24.2mp and the 53mp....but i have not heard anyone say Sony will be making a 46mp. They announced a FF 50mp plus.

There was something on the Nikon rumour site about a 46mp Sony chip. Rumoured, of course. The Canon rep said something about the new Canons being 'around 50mp', and when I asked him about it he said he couldn't tell me. Usually that means, 'Yes, but I can't say so.' In this case, perhaps not.

For those of you that say tonal range or MP doesn't matter, let's take an extreme approach. If you had infinite range and MP, that means you could edit any photo the client wanted, regardless of exposure, and print it any size. If you had a portrait and they wanted a close-up of the earrings the model is wearing, you could say,'no problem!' And bang off a 16x20 for them.

Anybody that deals with clients will tell you that would be incredible.

On the flip side, if you had an extremely narrow range, and very few pixels, everything would look like you ran it through a Xerox. You know,like old salt prints.

So anybody that says tonal range and megapixels don't matter is lying. What they mean is "I have enough to do what I need to do." And the unspoken implication is, "And so do you." And that's a little presumptuous.

I tell my students pixels don't matter, but that's because we only print 8x10s in class, and they're not allowed to crop. Any DSLR made in the last 12 years will do that. But I'm not daft enough to tell them they can compete in the real world with a Canon 10D or the like.

Jan 28 15 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Also, side note about reps:  most of them are independent contractors, or work for a repping agency. Unless you can give them a check made out to CaNikon and take a camera from them, they generally aren't actually employees of the company they are tapping. So if they don't know what's going on, you can't hold it against them. It's very common for a company to give their reps info on new cameras only a day or so before they announce it publicly.

Jan 28 15 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

Virtual Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Zack Zoll wrote:

There was something on the Nikon rumour site about a 46mp Sony chip. Rumoured, of course. The Canon rep said something about the new Canons being 'around 50mp', and when I asked him about it he said he couldn't tell me. Usually that means, 'Yes, but I can't say so.' In this case, perhaps not.

For those of you that say tonal range or MP doesn't matter, let's take an extreme approach. If you had infinite range and MP, that means you could edit any photo the client wanted, regardless of exposure, and print it any size. If you had a portrait and they wanted a close-up of the earrings the model is wearing, you could say,'no problem!' And bang off a 16x20 for them.

On the flip side, if you had an extremely narrow range, and very few pixels, everything would look like you ran it through a Xerox. You know,like old salt prints.

So anybody that says tonal range and megapixels don't matter is lying. What they mean is "I have enough to do what I need to do." And the unspoken implication is, "And so do you." And that's a little presumptuous.

I tell my students pixels don't matter, but that's because we only print 8x10s in class, and they're not allowed to crop. Any DSLR made in the last 12 years will do that. But I'm not daft enough to tell them they can compete in the real world with a Canon 10D or the like.

" but that's because we only print 8x10s in class, and they're not allowed to crop. "

You have  camera with a 4 x 5 sensor?

Jan 28 15 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Zack Zoll wrote:

That's why I'd replied to the person who stated that it doesn't matter, because what you've posted in bold, is what I got out of it. When Minolta was still in the digital camera game, I'd received an email from them back around 2007 asking, what was important to me in a dslr. Back then, I'd stated that dynamic range was priority to me, due to the limitations that the cameras had back then. Example. If I was taken a picture where the sky is too bright compared to the rest of the image, in the past, if I'd wanted to keep the details in the sky, I'd have to sacrifice the rest of the image. Dynamic range allows me to get all of those details that were impossible a few years ago. So yes, dynamic range is damn important to me and several people that I know.

Jan 28 15 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Dynamic range is over rated so are pixels. It's all gimmicks to make you spend.  When you get a client he doesn't care about your pixels or your dynamic range...lol The 5d3 is fine the way it is, I couldn't be happier.  You can make a billboard from a 6megapixel image so more isn't really necessary. More isn't  always better either. There are other ways to improve your dynamic range, use multiple exposures, hdr, etc.

DR is far from overrated if you ever had to produce a piece that is tone on tone (particularly dark tones).  This doesn't happen as much these days with fashion (or glamour) but is a big deal in product work.

So just because you don't need it doesn't mean its over rated; over hyped perhaps but not over rated.  Gear only matters up to the point that its enough to get that job done (another good reason to rent)

Jan 28 15 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Virtual Studio wrote:

" but that's because we only print 8x10s in class, and they're not allowed to crop. "

You have  camera with a 4 x 5 sensor?

Any DSLR made since 2003 or so will have as much resolution as an 8x10 on generic Epson or Canon will support. It only takes about six and a half megapixels. It'd be different if we printed bigger or used baryta paper, but that's optional. We use Epson 3880s; you can set the print resolution higher than that, but the oem paper itself only holds about 6mp of detail.

That said, my personal work is mostly 4x5, and we have them for student use as well. That works out to around 50-150 mp, depending on what you scan it with. I scan with an Imacon, so I'd need roughly 80mp to reach the same resolution on a 30x40. Of course the tonal range on an Imacon scanned 4x5 is much longer than a digital camera too(even digital MF), so it'll be a few years until I can retire that camera.

Jan 28 15 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

Chien Mal

Barrow, Alaska, US

I just want Canon to start caring about working photographers again. They're making cameras for tourists, and hobbyists, but not much effort to make pros happy.

It doesn't stop me from shooting though.

Jan 28 15 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

These are some poor arguments.
The first one, one reads on the forums way too much - that the client doesn't care what technology you use. While that might technically be true in many cases, it completely misses the point. The client cares about the visual result (as well as the mechanical requirements), it's the photographer's job to map that result to the technology that is capable of producing it. So although the client may not be able to articulate/care about a specific technology, he does in fact care about it.

The second statement is another one of those forum-speak sayings that is just terribly flawed in its attempt to make its point.
That is talking about billboards as some kind of metric for required pixels. Billboards usually are fairly low resolution as they are meant to be viewed from far away. So they're not an applicable usage example to drive resolution quality requirements. A better metric might be for instance a very large (say 4x6 foot) in-store display, which is typically viewed as close as 3-4 feet away.

Jan 28 15 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:

The New Canon High End MP Cameras will have Sony Sensors. And Soon to Follow will be Nikon's new D8something and Along with Sony's New 7rll or 9r. Even Canon's new entry level camera 750D will have Sony's 24mp. Canon finally got the picture with Sony's Sensors.

I'm curious - who said they are using Sony sensors?

Jan 29 15 01:04 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Frozen Instant Imagery wrote:

Wait..Wait..Very Soon Canon will announce this fact...Around Feb.6th.

Jan 29 15 06:44 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Frozen Instant Imagery wrote:

I've read about canon doing this, going back to last year. If this is true, I wonder why they're absndoning thier own sensor technology. They were steps ahead of the competition before Sony jumped on the scene.  To me it just mskes sense to improve on their existing sensor technology. Idk. Maybe it's cheaper to go the Sony route.

Jan 29 15 07:12 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Legacys 7 wrote:

I've read about canon doing this, going back to last year. If this is true, I wonder why they're absndoning thier own sensor technology. They were steps ahead of the competition before Sony jumped on the scene.  To me it just mskes sense to improve on their existing sensor technology. Idk. Maybe it's cheaper to go the Sony route.

I heard the same thing. This is where the loyal Canon Fan Base will get their panties all bunched up...But Canon Sensors have came up short in the tech department. Canon first camera to use Sony's Sensors is G7 X...if I am not mistaken.

When Nikon started using Sony Sensors, there was this massive spin by Nikon and Nikon's Fan Boys...including here...that it was Not a Sony Sensor, Then...It was maybe a Sony Sensor with Nikon's own tech team spinning into a Nikon Sensor...lol.

Sony Sensors are the best. They have the Proven 24mp and 36mp. Now they created two version of the 50'smp That Canon and Nikon will be using...and including Sony with their new 7rll or A9...

Jan 29 15 07:23 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

This will be a joint venture between Canon and Sony using both Canon and Sony Technology.

Jan 29 15 08:01 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Legacys 7 wrote:

I would imagine it would have to be much, much cheaper - certaintly in the short term, which is what the market is all about. If Canon buys already developed sensors(like in the G7X), they don't have to pay for R&D. For a camera segment with a relatively small market share, not paying for R&D is huge,even if it means the sensors cost much more.

I believe the older Nikon/Sony sensors were a joint effort. My understanding is that they were jointly developed, using specs specified by Nikon, and then built by Sony. In which case, it would be fair to say it was a Nikon sensor, and they contracted the manufacturing to Sony - just as most Zeiss lenses are currently built by Cosina, and many early Zeiss lenses were built by Bausch and Lomb.

That would also explain why the D800 was out for a couple years before the sensor found it's way to the A7r:  if it was Nikon's design, there would be a noncompete clause for the production. If Sony had been 100% responsible for that sensor(or the 24mp version), I suspect it would have showed up in a Sony camera right away or even first, like the 24mp APS-C sensor did.

Jan 29 15 10:42 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Zack Zoll wrote:

I would imagine it would have to be much, much cheaper - certaintly in the short term, which is what the market is all about. If Canon buys already developed sensors(like in the G7X), they don't have to pay for R&D. For a camera segment with a relatively small market share, not paying for R&D is huge,even if it means the sensors cost much more.

I believe the older Nikon/Sony sensors were a joint effort. My understanding is that they were jointly developed, using specs specified by Nikon, and then built by Sony. In which case, it would be fair to say it was a Nikon sensor, and they contracted the manufacturing to Sony - just as most Zeiss lenses are currently built by Cosina, and many early Zeiss lenses were built by Bausch and Lomb.

That would also explain why the D800 was out for a couple years before the sensor found it's way to the A7r:  if it was Nikon's design, there would be a noncompete clause for the production. If Sony had been 100% responsible for that sensor(or the 24mp version), I suspect it would have showed up in a Sony camera right away or even first, like the 24mp APS-C sensor did.

Or like Sony's first full frame sensor, which was a Sony design and made. What you're pointing out makes sense.

Jan 29 15 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Backstreet Photography2

Salem, Oregon, US

if ANYONE were to come out with a 50+ MP camera, do they have the glass to back it up ??   Look what happened when the D800 Nikon came out = people were crying that their 'glass' wouldn't work as well on a high MP body.  We've always been told that the 'glass' makes the shot = lets develop better lenses and make them affordable to the masses ~~ m'

Jan 29 15 11:06 am Link

Photographer

John Fisher

Miami Beach, Florida, US

From what I know about Japanese corporate culture, I would be very surprised if Canon would have any interest in Sony sensors, particularly in their signature model cameras. Canon is a world leader in sensor development and manufacturing because of their huge business in office machines (copiers, scanners, etc.), as well as very high end medical imaging equipment.

There is absolutely no indication (other than a few unsubstantiated rumors) that Canon will be using Sony sensors in their signature DSLR line of cameras. I could be wrong, but certainly we will know in a few days. Everything else you read here is based on.... well, nothing of substance. ("My friend's cousin has a friend who owns stock in a company that does business with Canon who said that.......")

Just wait a few days, and we will all know. My money is on a big (finally!) high end full frame camera, with an important new (Canon) sensor. God knows Canon has been testing high mega pixel sensors for years now, and it's well past the time that they released one to the market. If I'm wrong I will be the first to admit it, but nothing else makes any sense.

John
--
John Fisher
700 Euclid Avenue, Suite 110
Miami Beach, Florida 33139
(305) 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com

Jan 29 15 11:27 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

I have to remind that prior to Nikon releasing the D800, many people, including myself had given up on Nikon ever embracing the  studio photographer again. Then they released the quintessential 35mm studio camera.

Jan 29 15 11:35 am Link

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

John Fisher wrote:

Canon has been teasing for a long time but hasn't delivered. I'm hoping - for everyone - that this means that they've really taken their time and perfected something revolutionary.

Still, I don't see myself buying something like this, even if Nikon releases something in the 46-55MP range. I like 24MP. It makes me happy. I just don't think that throwing down more cash for more megapixels is going to make me happier, and since I'm mostly doing this for fun and not getting paid much, my happiness is about all that matters in the equation.

Jan 29 15 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

John Fisher wrote:
From what I know about Japanese corporate culture, I would be very surprised if Canon would have any interest in Sony sensors, particularly in their signature model cameras. Canon is a world leader in sensor development and manufacturing because of their huge business in office machines (copiers, scanners, etc.), as well as very high end medical imaging equipment.

There is absolutely no indication (other than a few unsubstantiated rumors) that Canon will be using Sony sensors in their signature DSLR line of cameras. I could be wrong, but certainly we will know in a few days. Everything else you read here is based on.... well, nothing of substance. ("My friend's cousin has a friend who owns stock in a company that does business with Canon who said that.......")

Just wait a few days, and we will all know. My money is on a big (finally!) high end full frame camera, with an important new (Canon) sensor. God knows Canon has been testing high mega pixel sensors for years now, and it's well past the time that they released one to the market. If I'm wrong I will be the first to admit it, but nothing else makes any sense.

John
--
John Fisher
700 Euclid Avenue, Suite 110
Miami Beach, Florida 33139
(305) 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com

Your point can be used to make the same point about Nikon and Sony. But we know what direction Nikon and several other Japanese camera companies took. Most use a Sony sensor.

Jan 29 15 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Ignoring the pro photographer for a moment, consider the amateur DSLR buyer.  Nikon has made their lowest entry level DSLR 24 megapixels. Why?  I'd suggest that it's to try and head off the mirrorless cameras.

They want to protect (at least for now) their DSLR "mass" market.  Whether the average amateur actually needs 24 megapixels has little to do with it. We're talking marketing and market share here.

So is it any surprise that Canon may be thinking along the same lines?

And when you do it with your specs on your entry level DSLRs, then everything else starts shifting. Kind of a "ripple up" effect.

Jan 29 15 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Viator Defessus Photos wrote:

Canon has been teasing for a long time but hasn't delivered. I'm hoping - for everyone - that this means that they've really taken their time and perfected something revolutionary.

Still, I don't see myself buying something like this, even if Nikon releases something in the 46-55MP range. I like 24MP. It makes me happy. I just don't think that throwing down more cash for more megapixels is going to make me happier, and since I'm mostly doing this for fun and not getting paid much, my happiness is about all that matters in the equation.

That's one of the smartest things I've ever read in these forums. It reminds me of a Dylan quote:  a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.

If you can make images that make you happy with your gear,even a smartphone, than it's good gear.

Jan 29 15 03:02 pm Link