Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Portfolio Advice

Model

coolbird

Austin, Texas, US

Hello,

I need some help. I am having such a hard time getting tfp work. Granted I know I have several factors against me, being short, having a baby face, not willing to do lingerie/nudes. It has me wondering why I'm always passed over. Is it those factors? or is it my portfolio? Should I just start over?

Any constructive help or ideas would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks
Other Portfolio: slenee.weebly.com/

Feb 03 15 08:45 am Link

Photographer

Sennia Kyle

Seattle, Washington, US

You're lovely but more than that you have a really interesting face, but right now your portfolio is full of images of awkward poses, face turned away from the camera or too much whites of your eyes, harsh unflattering lighting, etc. I have a feeling you'd look great in really natural, graceful poses rather than all of the sharp awkward angles. As a start I'd delete photos 6, 7, 9 and 13. There are a few others that should go but those should be the first ones. They don't do anything for you.

Do you have a list of photographers in your area you want to work with? Maybe consider paying a top photographer for a really good shoot that shows you off a lot more. Or if there aren't any in Austin, consider traveling to a city "nearby"-- yes, I know that's relative in Texas-- and working with someone there. Look at the girls on agency boards for posing and expression inspiration.

It's fine to not want to do glamour and/or nude work. And you already know that  your height will be limiting for serious fashion work. Now you have to figure out what sort of niche you want to carve out for yourself, but the first step is to get some more kickass photos.

Feb 03 15 09:00 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

I think facial structure has a lot to do with that. You need to look at the avatar. The chin recedes. It is significant. That impacts your face a lot.

Feb 03 15 12:48 pm Link

Model

coolbird

Austin, Texas, US

Thank you for your input Sennia. The thing is the only style I have an interest in is fashion.hmm I know I could make it as a commercial or glamor model, but that's not what I'm interested in...so lost cause I guess?

Lallure Photographic wrote:
I think facial structure has a lot to do with that. You need to look at the avatar. The chin recedes. It is significant. That impacts your face a lot.

I'm sorry I don't quite understand. I kind of get the facial structure thing in terms of fashion because I don't have a masculine or androgynous look, and I always knew that was part of it.

Were you saying something in addition to that?

Feb 04 15 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110527/19/4de05b13549da_m.jpg
This is the closest photo to looking like a model in your portfolio
Where is your right arm?

Have you tried a casting call?
Wish you well

Feb 04 15 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

What I am saying, is simply that not all faces work well in modeling, because of the bone structure, of the individual. When the lower jaw line is formed in such a way, that the chin recedes from the facial plane, that usually results in a face that doesn't actually lend itself to modeling.

I'm sorry I don't quite understand. I kind of get the facial structure thing in terms of fashion because I don't have a masculine or androgynous look, and I always knew that was part of it.

coolbird wrote:
Were you saying something in addition to that?

Feb 05 15 06:12 am Link

Model

coolbird

Austin, Texas, US

What I am saying, is simply that not all faces work well in modeling, because of the bone structure, of the individual. When the lower jaw line is formed in such a way, that the chin recedes from the facial plane, that usually results in a face that doesn't actually lend itself to modeling.

Well I'll disagree with "certain faces don't lend themselves to modeling" because there are too many facets of modeling to generalize. However, I do agree with the idea that my face doesn't lend itself to fashion modeling. But even then I can make some really cool alien/great "though provoking" faces that the industry is supposedly looking for. I know that's not the case and I've known it for sometime.

That's why I've been doing it as a hobby. I've been an agency before so I'm no stranger to them pigeonholing me to commercial. And Seinna was quite right in the fact that, in person/natural my looks are quite stately & graceful, often thought as a good runway (except for the height issue).

Sorry for the ramble, I guess my point is. I'm not doing it to make a living, I'm doing it for my enjoyment. Why not do the genre I love then, rather than pretend with something I don't? So any suggestions to develop my portfolio for this goal?

Feb 05 15 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Sennia Kyle

Seattle, Washington, US

coolbird wrote:
Thank you for your input Sennia. The thing is the only style I have an interest in is fashion.hmm I know I could make it as a commercial or glamor model, but that's not what I'm interested in...so lost cause I guess?

I wouldn't say lost cause, but fashion would be a lot more difficult for you to make headway in. You'll likely have to choose between modeling at all and modeling in commercial and/or lifestyle endeavors. With the occasional fashion-y type shoot thrown in occasionally. If you're dead set on fashion and only fashion, it's going to be a struggle unfortunately. If you were 17 or 18 you could probably get an agency to take a chance on the assumption that you'd grow another inch, but 5'8 is pretty much rock bottom for getting legitimate (fashion) work sad

It doesn't mean you can't still model, it just means it might not be a professional career in the end. Do it for fun instead.

Feb 06 15 03:27 pm Link

Model

coolbird

Austin, Texas, US

Sennia Kyle wrote:

I wouldn't say lost cause, but fashion would be a lot more difficult for you to make headway in. You'll likely have to choose between modeling at all and modeling in commercial and/or lifestyle endeavors. With the occasional fashion-y type shoot thrown in occasionally. If you're dead set on fashion and only fashion, it's going to be a struggle unfortunately. If you were 17 or 18 you could probably get an agency to take a chance on the assumption that you'd grow another inch, but 5'8 is pretty much rock bottom for getting legitimate (fashion) work sad

It doesn't mean you can't still model, it just means it might not be a professional career in the end. Do it for fun instead.

Yep, that's why I do it as a hobby instead (and I am 5'8" I should probably change that now lol) wink. I'm just trying to better promote myself for the fashion hobby.

Feb 06 15 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Carl Herbert

Bellevue, Washington, US

I understand what you are asking for. The problem is finding fashion-oriented people who are starting out like you are. Lots of MM members indicate they are interested in fashion but it's an abstract sort of interest -- many indicate would do it because there is a vague possibility some kind of project could fall out of the sky and land in their laps. The numbers of members who are actually attempting to figure out how to get into that industry are far fewer.

One way to find like-minded people you can trade work with is to join fashion and photo groups in your town. I don't know much about Austin, but I am certain there are people doing things there who need models like you. You are reasonably tall, you seem to have the right physique and you look wonderful. They need you just as much as you need them. You have to connect with these people somehow and get yourself involved in what they are doing.

Facebook is a good place to start looking...

https://www.facebook.com/EnsembleAustinIndieDesigners

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Austin-F … 0679322506

https://www.facebook.com/UniversityFashionGroup

https://www.linkedin.com/groups/Austin- … up-4530691

Feb 09 15 08:01 pm Link

Model

coolbird

Austin, Texas, US

Carl Herbert wrote:
I understand what you are asking for. The problem is finding fashion-oriented people who are starting out like you are. Lots of MM members indicate they are interested in fashion but it's an abstract sort of interest -- many indicate would do it because there is a vague possibility some kind of project could fall out of the sky and land in their laps. The numbers of members who are actually attempting to figure out how to get into that industry are far fewer.

One way to find like-minded people you can trade work with is to join fashion and photo groups in your town. I don't know much about Austin, but I am certain there are people doing things there who need models like you. You are reasonably tall, you seem to have the right physique and you look wonderful. They need you just as much as you need them. You have to connect with these people somehow and get yourself involved in what they are doing.

Facebook is a good place to start looking...

https://www.facebook.com/EnsembleAustinIndieDesigners

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Austin-F … 0679322506

https://www.facebook.com/UniversityFashionGroup

https://www.linkedin.com/groups/Austin- … up-4530691

Thanks Carl, I will check some of these out. smile

Feb 10 15 10:45 pm Link