Forums > Model Colloquy > How can I get more fashion work on MM?

Model

CharlotteModel

San Jose, California, US

I've been on MM for a few months now and feel that I have built a good starting portfolio. Now the question is, how do I get more interest from photographers and others to do fashion shoots? This is my main area of interest, but it seems like it's hard to come by photographers who specialize in fashion in my area (SF bay area). Most of what I've seen has been glamour or lifestyle focused. When I do stumble upon a photographer whose work interests me, 9 times out of 10 their profile states that they only do paid assignments. It makes sense since their work is some of the best here. Any advice?

Feb 09 15 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

A mother & daughter agency team who I've known of for a long time is located in San Jose.  They do book most of the fashion shows & shoots around the area.  I'm not going to post their info here in the forum, but if you accept my friend request, and drop me a private message, then I'll send you their information.  Otherwise, there are not as many fashion photographers in the Bay Area as in New York or Chicago for example.

Feb 09 15 08:45 pm Link

Model

CharlotteModel

San Jose, California, US

I believe I know the agency you are referring to and I plan to go to one of their open calls soon. I'd like to get some more strong images for my portfolio first though.

Feb 09 15 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

charlotte90marie wrote:
I believe I know the agency you are referring to and I plan to go to one of their open calls soon. I'd like to get some more strong images for my portfolio first though.

Yes, you probably guessed ... Halvorson, right?   Since this Modelmayhem site has been strict about model managers and even agents being promoted, I figure it best to be low key about this.  It's understood that recommendations can backfire if those referred are not all that.  Halvorson does provide the models for fashion shows at Santana Row, and also print work for various advertisers in the Mercury and Metro.

I have never hired a model from an agency as my background in theater arts helped me to learn how to run my own casting calls.  Besides, I grew up in Monterey where the nearest legit modeling agency was at least over an hours drive.  Although I have shot with agency standard models before, I tend to shoot more beach bikini pictures because that's where I love to be .. near the ocean!  I'd be happy to shoot TFP with you on some editorial fashion downtown San Jose.  The city of San Jose is good for a metropolitan background.  I've done it before many times!

Feb 09 15 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Bilsen Galleries

CORTLANDT MANOR, New York, US

Cannot be much help from across the country but, my lord, you put the sunshine to shame.
If you ever do get to NY..............

Feb 09 15 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Bilsen Galleries wrote:
Cannot be much help from across the country but, my lord, you put the sunshine to shame.
If you ever do get to NY..............

Seriously, I think she would do well in New York.

Feb 09 15 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

Carl Herbert

Bellevue, Washington, US

Fashion requires greater investment and particular opinions. I get an impression that most Model Mayhem members who work independently just don't have the resources to produce compelling fashion photography. Some of us would like to find ways around the problems that keep us out of it, but any production requires collaboration by several people. I'm sure the people you need to find have MM accounts, but they don't use this site as a primary means for networking. They are doing it elsewhere.

Feb 09 15 10:33 pm Link

Model

CharlotteModel

San Jose, California, US

Hmm, that makes sense. I think the next step for me will be to seek agency representation.

Feb 10 15 08:50 am Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

New York is one of the most competitive markets out there --  and expensive.

I suggest looking at the agency boards and seeing how one stacks up.

Also if a beginning model one goes to an open call at a FASHION agency it is better to go with nothing than to show the wrong images.

If a model has the stats and look they are interested they will take polaroids. If a model has a really strong book then by all means show it.

From there,  if they sign her they will give guidance on developing the model's  book in the direction that they want. Now for a talent agency you really should go in with at least a headshot or maybe even a comp card ( which is comprised of a different type of images than a fashion model).

As far as the OP's question -- you are probably going to have to pay to get viable images.

It may be easy to get "free" images or to to TF on MM but getting commercially viable images or what you really need on MM is an entirely different matter.

Feb 10 15 09:41 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

KungPaoChic wrote:

New York is one of the most competitive markets out there --  and expensive.

I suggest looking at the agency boards and seeing how one stacks up.

Also if a beginning model one goes to an open call at a FASHION agency it is better to go with nothing than to show the wrong images.

If a model has the stats and look they are interested they will take polaroids. If a model has a really strong book then by all means show it.

From there,  if they sign her they will give guidance on developing the model's  book in the direction that they want. Now for a talent agency you really should go in with at least a headshot or maybe even a comp card ( which is comprised of a different type of images than a fashion model).

As far as the OP's question -- you are probably going to have to pay to get viable images.

It may be easy to get "free" images or to to TF on MM but getting commercially viable images or what you really need on MM is an entirely different matter.

You are correct on all points.  New York is highly competitive, and at 24 years old, it is already too late for her to make it in the big leagues.  My idea was that if she wants to get any fashion work at all, she is going to have to be in an area with a fashion or catalog industry.  Cities like New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles, and even  San Francisco which is near Santa Clara might have some opportunities for her, but then that is questionable if she isn't up for the competition. 

There is only one agency near her location that I would recommend, and she already is aware of them.  It is a good idea to browse the agency boards of the Bay Area though.   There are some occasional fashion shows, and there are some great fashion photographers in San Francisco.

You are also correct about not needing a book or to show anything at all to "go see" an agency that specializes in fashion.  If they sign her, they'll guide her as to what they want.  She may not meet the agency "standards" that they are looking for.   The height is there, but her age is going to work against her. 

Now if she decides to go a different route for modeling, I did see an image in her portfolio that I think would give her a start as a headshot for model talent in other areas.  I would encourage her to consider editorial, lifestyle, glamour, swimsuits, and perhaps health & fitness.   

Paying for images is a good idea if she knows what she is looking for, otherwise, I see no harm in doing some TFP's.   I've already commented directly on her images in Critique, so I must not do that here.  All I can say is that having strong, crisp images that show her looking her best would be advantageous for sure!

Feb 10 15 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

There's a lot more fashion work in LA, but even that market has likely shrunk in this economy.  A lot of the manufacturing that used to be there, has gone off shore.

Feb 10 15 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

charlotte90marie wrote:
I've been on MM for a few months now and feel that I have built a good starting portfolio.

define "good". if you want to work with the best, you need to show potential to work with them.

there are two possible problems. first, your definition of good, doesn't fit their definition. or two, they don't know you exist. if you have found them, you can always message them or pay them. if there is no response, then you will know where the problem lies. there are fashion clients in the sf area.

an agency can guide you with photographers and your images, but it also depends on you to get work.

Feb 11 15 08:51 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:

define "good". if you want to work with the best, you need to show potential to work with them.

there are two possible problems. first, your definition of good, doesn't fit their definition. or two, they don't know you exist. if you have found them, you can always message them or pay them. if there is no response, then you will know where the problem lies. there are fashion clients in the sf area.

an agency can guide you with photographers and your images, but it also depends on you to get work.

Hey Leonard, she did post in Critique, but it seems I am the only one that gave her an extensive one of all her images. 

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/940599

Feb 11 15 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Hey Leonard,

She did post in Critique, but it seems I am the only one that gave her an extensive one of all her images. 

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/940599

Feb 11 15 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

charlotte90marie wrote:
When I do stumble upon a photographer whose work interests me, 9 times out of 10 their profile states that they only do paid assignments. It makes sense since their work is some of the best here. Any advice?

Write them and make yourself available to test. They might say "no, thanks" and they might say "I'll keep it in mind" but EVERYBODY tests. Even at the top of the food chain. It's just a matter of with whom.

Feb 11 15 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

charlotte90marie wrote:
I've been on MM for a few months now and feel that I have built a good starting portfolio. Now the question is, how do I get more interest from photographers and others to do fashion shoots? This is my main area of interest, but it seems like it's hard to come by photographers who specialize in fashion in my area (SF bay area). Most of what I've seen has been glamour or lifestyle focused. When I do stumble upon a photographer whose work interests me, 9 times out of 10 their profile states that they only do paid assignments. It makes sense since their work is some of the best here. Any advice?

You said that 9 out of 10 the photographers you want to work with only do paid assignments. It seems that the answer is simple. Pay them for the shoot you want. Paying a photographer does 2 things for you. You get pick the photographer instead of the photographer picking you. You get to network with the photographer you want, and his/her team. You got access.

Feb 11 15 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

charlotte90marie wrote:
How can I get more fashion work on MM?  When I do stumble upon a photographer whose work interests me, 9 times out of 10 their profile states that they only do paid assignments. It makes sense since their work is some of the best here. Any advice?

Charlotte, to pull together a team for showcasing a fashion designer's textile artistry is not a simply task... and without a full team the session will likely fall short of expectations...

Therefore fashion shooters tend to look for team members with a proven track record and nurture enduring collaborative relationships... My hair stylist came aboard six years ago... my prime model work continuously for just over 4 years until she took a full time position managing a high end boutique... And most importantly the designers I collaborate with have worked with us for many years... Sadly the downturn in the economy several years ago force nearly half the emerging designers in my market into other fields... so I've moved primarily into bridal makeup which pays far better than fashion in my limited market... necessity is the mother of invention...

Please keep in mind there is a huge difference between hobbyist and commercial fashion photographers... a commercial tog doesn't have the luxury to accommodate test creatives... which tend to be editorial in nature... editorial doesn't pay, never has and likely never will... the focus with editorial is to get published since tearsheets actually command attention by others within the commercial sector of the industry...

The real question Charlotte is why do you want to work in fashion genre?  Catalog is where the money is for models... runway seldom pays or pays in product... I know more than a few models who receive pieces from the designers they walk for... but that's not always the case... and as mentioned previously editorial seldom if ever pays especially now magazines are losing circulation to on-line portals...

best advice? Attend every fashion event in your market... make friends with each and every local designer... let them know you would absolutely love to walk for them...

It is paramount to develop a strong compelling repertoire... learn how to work your hands with charismatic elegance and grace... I can tell a models tenure in a heart beat by how elegantly he/she works their hands... remember modeling is silent acting... you have to emote with your hands... and also body language a.k.a. pose dynamics... while we're not allowed do critique here, the question is... Does your book resemble the imagery of talent in the commercial ads in VOGUE, ELLE, Bazaar, etc... If not then tear out page after page of these rags and learn... and I mean own those poses... till you can execute them with your eyes closed...  btw, age matters here... seeking agency representation in a major market? best to start attending casting calls at sixteen...

hope this helps...

all the best on your journey...

Feb 11 15 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:
best advice? Attend every fashion event in your market... make friends with each and every local designer... let them know you would absolutely love to walk for them...

That really is excellent advice. You are the product. It's hard for buyers (photographers, designers, etc.) to hire the product if they don't know the product exists and is available.

Feb 13 15 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Saadiq Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

+1

Feb 17 15 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Saadiq Photography

Francisco Castro wrote:

You said that 9 out of 10 the photographers you want to work with only do paid assignments. It seems that the answer is simple. Pay them for the shoot you want. Paying a photographer does 2 things for you. You get pick the photographer instead of the photographer picking you. You get to network with the photographer you want, and his/her team. You got access.

+1

Feb 17 15 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Philipe

Pomona, California, US

charlotte90marie wrote:
Hmm, that makes sense. I think the next step for me will be to seek agency representation.

It does not make sense unless your in demand. If your not getting much work now, an agency may not do much..
A modeling agency is not used if you can't find work as a model.
It would not hurt to go in.... But don't expect to get booked right away or to get signed..
i think you need a little bit more experience..
You need to relax your eyes more when shooting, you have some good shots. But not the right type of shots that agencies are looking for...
You need to work with photographers that give you direction and to coach you..
I think you have a good look... But there are specific pictures that agencies are looking for.....
Other than that you can just take Polaroids (bikini shots) and a few clean (little makeup) head shots...
The choice is
- Plain head shot with little makeup and three quarter shots and Polaroids (Bikini shots) full body
or
- Have a portfolio that shows your potential and shows that you are photogenic. That shows you model like a natural.. and that you do the right type of posing and know how to take good head shots. Not portrait, fashion...

If its a small agency, it does not matter, treat it like a top agency.
A good agency will ask you to walk and do a few poses to show them..
If you don't know what to do.. You'll be put in the maybe list.....................

I just notice there are a lot of things that you do over and over in each of you pictures that you need to break..
Your eyes is one of them...
Hint: you need to be more graceful.....

Feb 17 15 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Saadiq Photography

charlotte90marie wrote:
I've been on MM for a few months now and feel that I have built a good starting portfolio.

OP, I must also ask... why do you feel that you've built a "good" starting portfolio? 

charlotte90marie wrote:

I hope you understand that when you HIRE a note-worthy agencies to represent you they DO NOT develop you and or your portfolio!  Thus, when seeking agency representation at age 24 its imperative that you show up with a "ready to work" portfolio. 

Patrick Walberg wrote:

Based on what... your expertise?!

edit: NYC is the world's #1 fashion market... and this competitive market is filled with thousands of aspiring, unrepresented, unseen but QUALIFIED fashion models.  Yet somehow YOU think that the OP will do well in NYC with her under developed beginner print portfolio... wow hmm

Feb 17 15 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Philipe wrote:
It does not make sense unless your in demand. If your not getting much work now, an agency may not do much..
A modeling agency is not used if you can't find work as a model.
It would not hurt to go in.... But don't expect to get booked right away or to get signed..
i think you need a little bit more experience..
You need to relax your eyes more when shooting, you have some good shots. But not the right type of shots that agencies are looking for...
You need to work with photographers that give you direction and to coach you..
I think you have a good look... But there are specific pictures that agencies are looking for.....
Other than that you can just take Polaroids (bikini shots) and a few clean (little makeup) head shots...
The choice is
- Plain head shot with little makeup and three quarter shots and Polaroids (Bikini shots) full body
or
- Have a portfolio that shows your potential and shows that you are photogenic. That shows you model like a natural.. and that you do the right type of posing and know how to take good head shots. Not portrait, fashion...

If its a small agency, it does not matter, treat it like a top agency.
A good agency will ask you to walk and do a few poses to show them..
If you don't know what to do.. You'll be put in the maybe list.....................

I just notice there are a lot of things that you do over and over in each of you pictures that you need to break..
Your eyes is one of them...
Hint: you need to be more graceful.....

This is all correct.  She could learn from the example of Lauren Hutton who started her modeling career later in life than most, meaning after she graduated from college.  At first, Lauren was turned down by many before she became successful.  She was persistent and hard working.  While other models turned down jobs because there was no pay, or they just didn't feel like it, Lauren took every opportunity to shoot!  She had many obstacles to overcome, and overcome she did!  Eileen Ford knew that Lauren had been turned down by others because "As she called on almost every modeling agency in town, the message was the same: She was, they told her, too old (at 22), too short (at 5-foot-7), too gap toothed (then unfashionable) and — by her own estimation — possessed a “bulbous, bumpy nose.” ----  although Ford signed her, she even asked Lauren to get her nose and teeth fixed.  Lauren did not!  She didn't have time to because she got very busy and soon became the highest paid model of her time!

Charlotte, you already know who the legit agencies are.   Start at the top with those closest and most reputable.  You will be rejected ... and rejected again and again as nearly every person is at some point in their careers.  No one is born "a model" or a "photographer" we all have to work hard at it!   Quite honestly, I doubt you'll find the kind of photographers you want to shoot with by simply posting on the forums.   You've got to go after them.  You've got to offer to pay the ones you know can create the images that will help your career.  Although you may think it better not to shoot with photographers who don't "fit" the style you are striving for, you should shoot with those photographers who offer you TFP and even pay.  If they are not making objectionable or inappropriate offers, there is no harm in shooting as often as you can.  Lauren Hutton never turned down amateurs or those who wanted to test with her ... she looked at every photo shoot offer as an opportunity to learn and improve herself.  She said so in interviews.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauren_Hutton

Modeling is not all about the "looks" but is an activity that you can get better at.  It's an activity.  It takes practice.  Dance helps.  Every dancer I've ever photographed could also model quite well.  Dancers know the importance of rehearsal.  Focus on your goal, but don't just "think" ... do it!

Feb 17 15 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

charlotte90marie wrote:

Saadiq Photography wrote:
OP, I must also ask... why do you feel that you've built a "good" starting portfolio?

You can critique her here;  https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/940599

Patrick Walberg wrote:

Saadiq Photography wrote:
Based on what... your expertise?!

edit: NYC is the world's #1 fashion market... and this competitive market is filled with thousands of aspiring, unrepresented, unseen but QUALIFIED fashion models.  Yet somehow YOU think that the OP will do well in NYC with her under developed beginner print portfolio... wow hmm

You are right on all accounts.  I do not have "expertise" in the field of high fashion photography.   I only said that because New York is known as the #1 fashion market.  I always tell people to start at the top and work your way down until the door of opportunity opens.  In fact, that can be wrong too.  There is no prefect method of achieving success.  No rhythm or reason when luck plays a roll.   

I could say that there is so much competition that she doesn't stand a chance ... a slim chance if that ... at ever being successful.  Maybe I make her mad by saying that?  But I don't know what "successful" is to her.  Maybe she will become more determined?  Or maybe she will give up?  Heck, I know that I could shoot some great images of her at the beach in a bikini.  It's what I'm good at as a photographer,  I could work with her on some editorial style shots in downtown San Jose, as I think I'm good at that too.  My strong points are that I work well with people and I'm good at improvising.   I'm not at all close to being the best photographer here, but I can hold my own.   You know far more than I do about the fashion industry.

Feb 17 15 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Beverly Hills, California, US

I work with a designer manufacturer in LA,  the designer requires min 5'10 for runway . There are possibilities for lookbook for shorter models. I've been tasked with finding suitable models for the catalogs. Occasionally I shoot for the Feeder pageants for Miss California which leads to Miss USA.
I am in Los Angeles  unfortunately and can't really help with pictures. Unless you can come down here. I think entering a pageant is a good way to gain experience and exposure because the pageant directors will protect you from sleaze.  several pageant girls I know have done commercials and had bit parts in films.

Feb 27 15 02:28 am Link