Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Longer Lasting Curls for Fine Hair

Photographer

Mickle Design Werks

Washington, District of Columbia, US

What are some your tips and tricks for getting fine hair to keep a curls without falling out? What products or tools  would you rec for this type of hair?

So far the ones that I've heard of are:

- Using a cold set by wetting the hair by spraying a salt water solution in the hair and pin curling it and letting it air dry or setting them under a dryer

- using steam curlers

Feb 10 15 07:43 am Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Mickle Design Werks wrote:
What are some your tips and tricks for getting fine hair to keep a curls without falling out? What products or tools  would you rec for this type of hair?

So far the ones that I've heard of are:

- Using a cold set by wetting the hair by spraying a salt water solution in the hair and pin curling it and letting it air dry or setting them under a dryer

- using steam curlers

Rodney first and foremost PLEASE never bring hot tools in contact with wet hair... seriously bad...
Hair needs to be completely dry before styling...

For fine hair (or medium textured hair) you have to catch the curl when it comes off the iron and hold it in your hand while it cools otherwise the curl will fall out...  Don't believe this? try it... yep it work like magic...

You have to use a temperature appropriate for the texture of tresses you're styling... not an easy thing to learn... time and practice here is the only path to success...

Important: Always hit each section of hair with a thermal protect spray (many on the market but I'm partal to KENRA and Paul Mitchell's line)...   Still not working?  Use smaller sections... most failures are due to trying to curl too much hair in each section... also start wrapping from the base of the hair! This is where the most heat should be, not at the tip... newbies seem to always wrap from the tip inward... nope, that will result in lame curls...

Finalize with an extra hold finishing spray...  cheap insurance to make the curl last...
Steam curlers?  Surely you jest... got a couple of hours?  they work maybe for bridal when prep last for several hours at minimum... so when did you start styling bridal Rodney... lol

best advice? hire my colleague Devon... she's amazing... lol 

miss our collaborations... don't be a stranger, k?

Hope this helps...

Feb 10 15 08:12 am Link