Forums > Photography Talk > Do photographers collaborate? How so?

Photographer

MB85Photography

Jacksonville, Florida, US

All of my shoots so far have been models that I've found and shot solo. Are there people on here that message other photographers (being photogs themselves) and see if they can do two shoots with the same person? Maybe this is a newbie question but I figure this would make alot of sense and the model could get two different sets of shots for the same amount of time roughly.

Have you ever worked with another photographer? If so, how did you contact them?

Feb 10 15 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Generally not a good idea

Feb 10 15 10:32 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I've done it many times with up to 4 photographers working with 3 or 4 models smile

Feb 10 15 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Pictures of Life

Spokane, Washington, US

I did that once with a model/photographer. Her shoot and I tagged along partly to share gear.  I've seen several models who also list themselves as photographers.  Not too much ego, more collaborative. No reason you can't find someone to work with.

Feb 11 15 12:02 am Link

Photographer

Allen Carbon

Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

MiloB85 wrote:
All of my shoots so far have been models that I've found and shot solo. Are there people on here that message other photographers (being photogs themselves) and see if they can do two shoots with the same person? Maybe this is a newbie question but I figure this would make alot of sense and the model could get two different sets of shots for the same amount of time roughly.

Have you ever worked with another photographer? If so, how did you contact them?

It's a fantastic idea tbh most of my shoots are like that.
but I guess it depends on the mind set of the photographer and how insecure their ego is.

I'm used to shooting in editorial works, team environments, for magazines etc
I've always worked under the premise that what I did is a collaborative combination.

I don't know, I just don't understand why some photographers hate working with other photographers.
I just think photographers who get so defensive about "their idea" being shot are highly insecure about their work that they can't put their ego aside for the sake of the collaboration.

I mean it makes sense if you are creating this big elaborate stage or you did a big job at producing that you do deserve the recognition and the other photographer doesn't acknowledge that but why even shoot with him in the first place?

You do get the photographers who get soo defensive about a shoot they have little creative control with aside from them telling the model to stand there in this light.

Whenever I shoot weddings and an uncle comes along with a camera or one of the relatives ask if one of their family members starting out wants to learn, I get them together with the bride and groom and I say something like this.
"It's awesome that you are shooting with me. Let's be clear though that this isn't about you getting shots, it isn't about me getting shots too. It's about the bride and groom getting their shots. So lets be aware of each other because at the end of the day its all for them".

It's great. It's awesome even. It's a lot of fun. A lot less work. You will probably learn something new from the photographer. You will probably impart something new to the photographer.

Just find a photographer you like and ask them. Ask them as a friend. Don't have an ego. Don't be insecure. and you will be sweet. smile

Feb 11 15 12:08 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

MiloB85 wrote:

Primarily, I would think this would work best with people who are already acquainted together and have a friendship thus that they would enjoy working together., so messaging someone out of the blue seems rather unlikely to be ideal.

Now, on the other hand, if there is someone you admire, it might be worth asking if you could have the opportunity to learn from that person, but again, the results of that might not be stellar as a lot of photographers are not eager to share their secrets or hard-earned lessons with others.

Trying to share a shoot with one model but two photographers may sound good on paper from an accounting perspective, but having 2 people trying to give direction at the same time, and/or a model trying to give attention to two people at the same time, seems very distracting and a high potential for everyone getting worse photos.   To succeed, you'd probably need to do it one at a time, and the second person could do BTS shots and assist, but one person would need to be primary while the other would need to take a supporting role rather than trying to shoot simultaneously.

Feb 11 15 12:35 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

I have collaborated with other photographers very successfully in the past.
We were friends before working together however
We have always taken turns shooting, normally with our own lighting and styling set ups
Never did the group shoot gangbang method

Feb 11 15 12:44 am Link

Photographer

Allen Carbon

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
Never did the group shoot gangbang method

Don't worry everyone has fun and gets a satisfying turn at gangbangs tongue

Feb 11 15 01:17 am Link

Photographer

Al Green XM

Townsville, Queensland, Australia

When I shoot with a model on the street her focus is entirely on our agreed upon  concept. Having another phot shooting  would break the connection, kill the intensity.  Instead I love to hang out with photographers over coffee and talk shit.

Feb 11 15 01:44 am Link

Photographer

Erlinda

London, England, United Kingdom

I've worked with a photographer on a shoot before when I was visiting Athens, Greece. Of course it was my husband and it was a lot of fun because even though we were shooting the same model, same looks and locations we still got different images.

I would work with other photographer friends if they ever asked but no one has and I don't ask 'cause most people don't like the idea of "competing" I mean working with another photographer. But I'm down. I think it would be fun! smile

Feb 11 15 02:00 am Link

Photographer

Erlinda

Xperience Media wrote:
When I shoot with a model on the street her focus is entirely on our agreed upon  concept. Having another phot shooting  would break the connection, kill the intensity.  Instead I love to hang out with photographers over coffee and talk shit.

Ummmmmm you don't shoot at the same time, you take turns. At least thats what I've done before. smile

Feb 11 15 02:01 am Link

Photographer

Allen Carbon

Erlinda wrote:
I would work with other photographer friends if they ever asked but no one has and I don't ask 'cause most people don't like the idea of "competing" I mean working with another photographer. But I'm down. I think it would be fun! smile

I never really understood the idea of competing. It's just such a weird concept for me.

Feb 11 15 02:28 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

Sometimes, when a model is staying with me, another photographer will come over and shoot with her too.

Different light set ups and props, and different wardrobe. We don't shoot the same concept, but enjoy talking and sharing ideas. Models seem to like getting two different styles without having to move to a different location.

Feb 11 15 03:40 am Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Amherst, Massachusetts, US

Honestly, I've tried it before but it just isn't my thing. i don't play well with others, I suppose. I do knowseveral photographers that work together well and do it regularly, though!

Feb 11 15 04:02 am Link

Photographer

derek268

Saint Austell, England, United Kingdom

I work with another photographer most of the time.We share models/lenses/lights/& even cameras,this has cut our individual costs by some considerable amount.We get on really well,and have a similar sense of humour,which is very important,and we like to shoot different modes,ie:he shoots nude,and i shoot portraits.This works for us,but may not work for others,i know many photographers,but do not wish to work with them,and the same goes for my shooting partner.I feel very lucky to have found such a working partner.

We met on the Mayhem.I contacted him,because he was very local to me,and was not a member of any of the camera clubs,that i belong to.We met up at my studio,and have worked together ever since.

We do not have a problem with "ego"and frequently critique each others work.   D

Feb 11 15 06:43 am Link

Photographer

Amul La La

Not my thang!
However there's no reason why it cannot materialize productively, if things like organization are of the highest importance.

Feb 11 15 07:00 am Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Bad, bad idea.  First, only one of you would have the correct angle. Second, you have to control the model to put her in the right pose and she can only listen to one person at a time. Third, you really need a rapport with the model to turn out good work and her switching back and forth between multiple photographers is no way to build a rapport. And finally, one of you shoots and the other one stands around twiddling their thumbs waiting for their turn ? Seems like a real waste of time. Is this a scheme to get better work, and better for whom or is it a scheme to split the cost of the model ?

Feb 11 15 07:21 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

Oh Hell Naw!

There is only one diva on my set!

Feb 11 15 07:39 am Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

At least once a year I try to setup up collaborative shoots with other close photographer friends of mine.  Its usually a shoot with 6+ models and we shoot at separate times and provide our own creative direction with scenes and clothing. Its a very positive learning experience were us photographers get to talk in detail about shooting, workflow, and equipment.  We get to share models and can produce a high number of portfolio pictures for every participant.  We use large locations with ample separate shooting areas and can save money by sharing an expensive resource.  I have used this scenario to test out new makeup artists, hair stylists, and models.

However, this is an experience that works best with my close photographer friends where the petty drama of the industry can be avoided. Approaching another unknown photographer with this idea out of the blue is probably going to be weird.

Most of the top photographers in the area are my close friends and we support each other with sharing techniques, equipment, and avoiding problem people.  Honestly I cannot imagine working in this industry without the inspiration and support I have with other professionals.  Its amazing how much you can accomplish when you keep your ego in check.

Feb 11 15 07:41 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

MiloB85 wrote:
Have you ever worked with another photographer?

As a tenured photo-assistant, many, many times... In fact I cherish these assignments... recompense is excellent and when it's a wrap I'm done,.... lol  considering the time I have to invest in editing and rendering in post my income/hour is higher assisting... word!

MiloB85 wrote:
the model could get two different sets of shots for the same amount of time roughly.

Milo something that is of paramount importance in our industry is quality... quantity is meaningless without this... Any model, agency booker, or session team member will share this with you... One breathtaking tearsheet is worth several orders of magnitude over hundreds of "nice" images... there are givens within the industry... examine the books of the best commercial photographers in the business and tearsheets are a huge component... 

MiloB85 wrote:
figure this would make alot of sense...

Really? On commercial sets it's team members only... this has been the norm for decades and is unlikely to change... the creative director in responsible charge selects their team very carefully to exceed their clients expectations...  there are compelling reasons why each team member is on the call sheet roster...  Team synergy is extremely high when there is a large budget involved...

That said, yes I have done one on one training with other shooters in my market... however my focus was entirely on their experience and seeing the knowledge base transfer was accomplished... in essence I preform the role of "assistant" for these joint ventures... a.k.a. setup the illumination, do makeup and occasionally hair, direct the model and touch up makeup and hair as the shoot progresses... All totally about the apprentice, and not about my lens work... hope this makes sense...

Milo the very best advice I can provide is to encourage you to assist other commercial shooters in your market... in my humble estimation there is likely no better way to learn the craft...

As to those who have commented that having multiple lens persons in the mix is a splendid concept? Hobbyist typically are not worrying about securing their next paid assignment, they have a stable revenue stream outside of the industry...  Milo there are many agendas...  some are industry related, others are to increase social worth/merit...  everyone is right from their own perspective...

All the best on your journey...

Feb 11 15 07:49 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

(Advanced amateur fine art photographer here).  We do something every once in a while.  We have an active local photographic community, and we talk with each other often.  Here are some things we have done:

...  I've hosted a pseudo-workshop.  Lots of local photographers work outdoors using natural light -- nothing wrong with that, but that tends to restrict their photography to the warm months.  So, I hosted a "here's how you use studio strobes" -- ~4 photographers came over & chipped in to pay a model, and I showed them how to use the strobes with their camera.  Twas a pleasant afternoon for all.

...  One traveling female model was also a budding (and talented) photographer.  I organized an afternoon where we invited other local female models turned photographers over.  I got them settled in the house & went up here to my office, letting them wander all over my house photographing each other.  They made some lovely pictures.

...  Many traveling models don't like short (1 hour) sessions, and many beginner photographers can't afford to hire experienced models for more than 1 hour.  My solution -- we set up the model here at my place, and photographers traveled here and worked with the model here for a short time.  We had a schedule for a whole afternoon (with a 30 minute break between photographers) -- the model got a full half day with pay, and the photographers got a little time with a talented model.  Win-win.

...  I hosted a extreme portrait session, where ~5 photographers came over, and we all took portraits of each other.  (I did this because my mom kept complaining that she had tons of photos I made but no photos of me).

...  In the past, I've participated in what we called a photo orgy -- a small number of photographers & a small number of models traveling to a remote outdoor site for a weekend or so.  Twas gobs of fun.

...  I've mentored a young photographer, and on a couple of occasions, we hired a model & took turns setting up a scenario & directing the model.

It is good for photographers to watch & see how other photographers work.  Of course, attitude (and in particular, a willingness to share) is essential.  I fully recommend it for the right gang of participants.

Such cooperation kinda requires a photographic community -- people need to know the other participants enough to trust them.  How to create a local photographic community is the subject for another thread (or should I discuss it here?).

Feb 11 15 08:13 am Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

MiloB85 wrote:

It can work fantastically with the right people. Horribly with the wrong ones.

Three years ago, I cold-called a local, very-experienced photographer. I wanted to learn from him, so I offered to assist. Assisting eventually turned into shooting. We do not shoot at the same time. He shoots for a while as I assist, then I shoot. Often with a wardrobe change between us so we are not getting the same shots. More looks for the model to select images. And we each can get shots we might not have tried on our own, and an extra pair of eyes to avoid hair out of place or be a lookout for some shots.

When explained to the model, she realizes this means a longer session with both of us and avoid wasting time traveling between studios or locations.

Thus, find the right person to share a model. Find someone you can learn from or teach. The right person will add to collaboration and ideas, not distract from it (unless you are the wrong person to work with another photographer).

Feb 11 15 08:17 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i enjoy doing co-shoots especially if the other photographer brings a model too. usually they are people i've met through networking (both online and in-person). basically it turns out to be a small group shoot.

Feb 11 15 09:23 am Link

Photographer

Erlinda

Allen Carbon wrote:

I never really understood the idea of competing. It's just such a weird concept for me.

I don't think it's competing but many think that way.

I personally think it's fun to see how different the images turn out. smile

Feb 11 15 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Michael Spring

I've done a couple of shoots with other photographers, got two models once and shot with a friend..... end of the day we both got completely different images.

Also, if there is any expense in the shoot it not such a bad idea to share that.... I will be looking to shoot some disability stock photos once the weather is warmer and will therefore be hiring a wheelchair for 2 weeks, 2 weeks is the minimun, if anyone in London wanted to share the cost of it and split the time between the two of us I would be happy to. Less expense for me and the wheelchair will get its full use rather than sit in my living room for no reason. Is there really anything to lose? Not really, working closely with other photographers is generally only beneficial.... Also, when you have a paid job where you could use another photographer you will have people to reach out to.

I say go for it!

Feb 11 15 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Allen Carbon

Vector One Photography wrote:
Bad, bad idea.  First, only one of you would have the correct angle. Second, you have to control the model to put her in the right pose and she can only listen to one person at a time. Third, you really need a rapport with the model to turn out good work and her switching back and forth between multiple photographers is no way to build a rapport. And finally, one of you shoots and the other one stands around twiddling their thumbs waiting for their turn ? Seems like a real waste of time. Is this a scheme to get better work, and better for whom or is it a scheme to split the cost of the model ?

First, There is no such thing as the one correct angle.
Second, no you'd be surprised at how many people a person can listen to at one time
Third, It is. It's actually a really really good way of building rapport.
Last, It's not actually a waste of time ... like at all. Not even close.
The other photographer can,
assist
also spot what the models doing and churn out advice.
work in a capacity of a producer.

The best work anyone will produce in a fashion capacity will always when there's at least a producer on set. Who usually sees the shots tethered and would input their thoughts too.

Feb 11 15 11:42 am Link

Photographer

Allen Carbon

Erlinda wrote:

I don't think it's competing but many think that way.

I personally think it's fun to see how different the images turn out. smile

exactly!

some people can get so caught up in thinking that they discovered the one shot just by telling the model to stand there.

Feb 11 15 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

I've done it and it kinda just depends on what you want the pictures are and what your goals are. When I've done it, we usually don't shoot the same model at the same time. There have been times where we had 3 photographers and 6-7 models, so there was no temptation to double up shooting the same girl.

If I want to use the pictures for something then I want to be the only one shooting that girl in that outfit. If I'm just there to shoot, have fun, and network, I don't really care if I'm the only one that shoots the concept. That said, I've become increasingly reluctant to actually shoot/retouch pictures from shoots where multiple photographers are shooting the same thing because those pictures don't have any portfolio value for me. A lot of times I'll just go to these meet and greats, snap off a few shots and then socialize with any other photographer that isn't actively shooting at the moment.

Feb 11 15 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

Since I'm reflecting on the word "collaborate" a bit more, if I interpret that to mean us both working together to provide creative input on a shoot/concept, the answer would be "very very rarely," although I've done it before. The problem is at that point neither one of you really "owns" the idea, you both have pictures from it, but you can't both publish the shots. Exhibiting them is also a little awkward/problematic.

Feb 11 15 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoByWayne

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Usually not in the scenario you have described, but I've taken on jobs that are too big for a single person to do, so I outsource part of it to other photographers I can trust.  If let say you have a group of models wanting to get updated images, it won't be a bad idea to collaborate with other photographers.

Feb 11 15 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

I've done it a few times. It didn't work well for a couple, and it worked really well for the others.

Most recent was a 3 photographer shoot. I'd already been collecting wardrobe for a 'space' shoot; another photographer had been building props and a set for his own space' shoot, and when we found out that we both were working on the same type of theme, we collaborated with a third, as well as hair/makeup. It was a lot easier than trying to do all of it by ourselves.

Feb 11 15 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Photographers are generally, too competitive and egocentric, to do that. Seriously.

The open model shoots, hosted by people, around the country, are the main place you will see multiple photogs working with the same models.

Feb 12 15 06:49 am Link

Photographer

Eclectic Vision

Toledo, Ohio, US

I like collaborating with other photographers. I have on multiple occasions shot with another photographer. We generally take turns. But if there is enough room to both shoot from different angles, that can work too, especially in outdoor locations. The only thing that bothers me is someone shooting right over my shoulder.

Feb 12 15 07:08 am Link

Photographer

Barry Kidd Photography

Red Lion, Pennsylvania, US

If I'm looking for specif shots I prefer to do my own thing.  That's just the way I am.

I have however gotten together with a group of friends 4 or 5 times in the last 7 or 8 years. All of us, models and photographers were there just for fun.  The resulting images weren't always the best I've ever shot but it was a blast and in truth we were all really just there to have fun and a few laughs anyway.

In the end I prefer to work alone but I'm always game for nothing more than good ole fashioned all American fun as well.

The images below were from group shoots. Perhaps they aren't hero shots but they turned out OK and we had blast.  Sometimes photography has to be about nothing but the fun whether you are shooting flowers, bugs or models. That's the way I see things

https://www.barrykidd.com/photography/modeling/photo-model-swimming-pool-night.jpg

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110607/02/4dedf6919e885.jpg

Feb 13 15 09:51 am Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

A very good way to get collaboration is to invite many photographers where each pay an amount of money but not much. And with this money they hire 2, 3 or more models with different look and concept. So lets say that if the group have 4photograohers for each models. Each photographer pays €10 and each model receives €40. And every 4 group of photographer can shift models after a while. So with a little money everybody can photograph 4 models  and end the day with a lot of images.

I started in a group like this and works very well. Specially because every photograoher can help with some lighting tools or whatever tool they have.

Later on I founded out that the group was vanished because only the same guys was having the trouble to orginise everything ans nobody else. And the group was big. I tried twice orginising some group shoot it but I falled.

But I also have orginised shoot in colaboration with three other photographers, not all together but with each one in three different days. And it also woeked very well.

But I have lived in different places and people are different. What works perfect in some cultures may not work ar all in others.

www.marciofaustino.com

Feb 13 15 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Yeah, I agree that the word "collaborate" is often used here, and I generally hate it usage.  "Cooperate" is perhaps better.

I'm a music publisher, and often two songwriters get together to write a song -- one writer might write the melody and another might write the lyrics.  As a result of their "collaboration", they both wind up with shares of the copyright.  In general, shared copyrights are a nightmare to manage (and that's why we have music publishers).  Some issues:

...  What is the split?
...  Who administers the copyright?
...  Who does the accounting?
...  Can other parties audit the administrator?
...  What happens if one person wants to do a placement & the other party doesn't?
...  How are other disputes resolved?
...  What happens if one person moves away?
...  What happens if one person dies?
...  Can one party chose to sell their interest to a 3rd party?
...  What happens if a 3rd party sues the copyright owners?
...  What happens if the copyright owners want to sue a 3rd party?
...  Who takes care of unlicensed usages? 
...  Do the administrators get paid?

And so forth.  While there are tons of ways for photographers to learn from each other and have fun with each other, sharing a copyright is something to be avoided.

Feb 13 15 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Personality Imaging

Hoover, Alabama, US

I've shot with a half dozen or so other photographers and photographers make the best lighting assistants for each other.   I just don't like shooting in someone else's studio because I feel like I shouldn't mess with the lights.

Feb 13 15 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Claireemotions

Einsiedeln, Schwyz, Switzerland

Most off the time I am not alone. Got events we collaborate, for large events involving can manage up to 6 pphotographers. It seems I spend more time coordinating than shooting.

For models my wife is Always along. Makes the models feel better. She can look for other light options, angles. Once I am done she will take her turn to shoot while I assist. It works well and results in better pictures.

Right now I am planning a big shoot and there will be 3-5 photographers along because I need that many assistants to set the scene. Non photographer are a pain to direct.

Feb 14 15 08:51 am Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Sure - a photographer friend and I did a shoot with a lovely MM model that we both know.  These were outdoor nudes.  She shoots with a different sensibility than I do and our images rarely overlap in style. 

We took turns at each location - and even though we had the same spot - same model - same light - the results were wonderful and very different.  I would shoot and she would be the lookout for the location - and then I'd watch over the trails while she was shooting.

But, we all kinda knew each other and it was not some silly competitive exercise.

Feb 14 15 09:29 am Link

Photographer

MidnightSun Designs

WINSTON SALEM, North Carolina, US

I did once, paid half on a $300 room other photographer shoot 4 girls and I shoot 1. He didnt want to share. I now now to have models setup before trying that again. MUA made more than I did that day. live and learn

Feb 16 15 07:12 pm Link