Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Models responding to "Casting Calls"

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Vallejo, California, US

Models out there, if you respond to a Casting Call do everyone a favor. READ IT! The Casting Call that is.

If the Casting Call is for Swim Suit more than likely you will be wearing a swimsuit

If the Casting Call is for Lingerie more than likely you will be expected to wear some type of lingerie

And if the photographer hiring you sends you the address 3 times you should have the address

Asking the day of, just a few hours before the shoot what kind of shoot it is for and where is just .........

Feb 13 15 12:31 pm Link

Dalek

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Moderator Note!
Rant, moved to OT, Carry On...

Feb 13 15 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

interested!

Feb 13 15 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

ColourFool

Breda, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

So what was the casting for?

Feb 13 15 01:05 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

TouchofEleganceStudios wrote:
Models out there, if you respond to a Casting Call do everyone a favor. READ IT! The Casting Call that is.

If the Casting Call is for Swim Suit more than likely you will be wearing a swimsuit

If the Casting Call is for Lingerie more than likely you will be expected to wear some type of lingerie

And if the photographer hiring you sends you the address 3 times you should have the address

Asking the day of, just a few hours before the shoot what kind of shoot it is for and where is just .........

I find this funny...and true...

I put out a casting call once for a body painting project that required a model with a shaved head.  I even wrote in the casting like this "THIS JOB REQUIRES THE MODEL TO HAVE A BALD SHAVED HEAD". 

So I get twenty responses from models who all have full heads of hair.  In my reply, I ask the question "Are you willing to shave your head for this job?" 

The half that write back all say things like "absolutely not" "hell no" or the classic, "why would you think I would shave my head?" 

Ummm, maybe because you answered a casting call that said THIS JOB REQUIRES THE MODEL TO HAVE A BALD SHAVED HEAD!

Feb 13 15 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
interested!

Me, too!

Where in Minneapolis are you?

Feb 13 15 01:36 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Evan Hiltunen wrote:

Me, too!

lol

Feb 13 15 03:04 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

ernst tischler wrote:

I put out a casting call once for a body painting project that required a model with a shaved head.  I even wrote in the casting like this "THIS JOB REQUIRES THE MODEL TO HAVE A BALD SHAVED HEAD". 

So I get twenty responses from models who all have full heads of hair.  In my reply, I ask the question "Are you willing to shave your head for this job?" 

The half that write back all say things like "absolutely not" "hell no" or the classic, "why would you think I would shave my head?" 

Ummm, maybe because you answered a casting call that said THIS JOB REQUIRES THE MODEL TO HAVE A BALD SHAVED HEAD!

They stopped reading at "shaved".

Feb 13 15 03:05 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

They stopped reading at "shaved".

Roflmao. lol  lol

Feb 13 15 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Oh man that Dalek looks sexy as hell big_smile

nude?

Feb 13 15 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

ernst tischler wrote:

I've run into the same type of things MANY times. The reason you get this is the same reason you get the "interested" responses...some girls (not professionals) just carpet bomb every single casting call in hopes that they will get picked up. It's the same thing as the strippers who walk around the floor on a strip club saying, "Wanna dance? Wanna dance? Wanna dance?" and then wonder why they go home every night with ten bucks in their g-string.

Feb 14 15 12:03 am Link

Photographer

DwLPhoto

Palo Alto, California, US

Interested

Feb 14 15 04:12 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Few years ago model pulled a fantastic prank casting
The job entailed possibility of serious injury or death
Dozens replied "interested"

Feb 14 15 06:39 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Models that don't read casting calls aren't going to be in here reading this. lol

Feb 14 15 08:05 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/52585/1

Feb 14 15 08:31 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Shot By Adam wrote:

Awesome thanks so much

Feb 14 15 12:32 pm Link

Model

AnnAdB

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

Maybe choose models that aren't idiots then?

Feb 15 15 01:14 am Link

Photographer

DwLPhoto

Palo Alto, California, US

AnnAdB wrote:
Maybe choose models that aren't idiots then?

How is a model responding to a casting call the same as choosing a model, idiot or not?

Feb 15 15 05:21 am Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

TouchofEleganceStudios wrote:

I don't know if it matters or not, but some people won't read anything, no matter how critical it is.  I understand there are some models who don't want to pose in swimsuits. That's up to them to decide. Answering a casting call for a swimsuit model, though, shouldn't be shocking if they're asked to wear a swimsuit. The sad part is they didn't see the swimsuit part. They only saw the model needed somewhere close to them and there will be money involved (if there is no money, there is likely no interest, either).

Some will then get bent out of shape and call a person a perv because they're asking for swimsuit shots. Is a person really a perv if they state their objective upfront? Maybe, but if a person agrees to it, either they're a perv, too, or it's not all that pervy.

I personally find that it takes all kinds and hanging around long enough leads to less and less surprise/shock. I just do the best I can and deal with whatever comes up as it arrives. Rants are great for venting/relieving stress but as someone else said, those who don't fully read casting calls aren't going to read this, either. If they do, they'll assume you're talking about someone else. It is what it is.  Don't sweat petty things. Don't pet sweaty things, either.

Feb 15 15 06:49 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:

Shot By Adam wrote:

That's a hoot!  So much for thinking that this sort of thing is a recent phenomenon! 

Although I do think that part of the problem is the number of people that respond on the fly using their cell phones. 
Can't blame them completely.  Casting, especially for commercials, background, even principal parts, is often closed  within minutes of the original posting on the larger casting sites, especially in the major markets such as NYC or LA.  Truly, he who hesitates is lost, so might as well apply for everything the instant you see it and sort out what works at leisure.  I'm also sure that this is what's behind many of the flakes.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Feb 15 15 07:03 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Will you pay for my travel?

Feb 15 15 08:23 am Link

Model

Morgan_Rose

Brooklyn, New York, US

Evan Hiltunen wrote:

Me, too!

lol lol lol

Feb 15 15 08:27 am Link

Model

AnnAdB

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

DwLPhoto wrote:

How is a model responding to a casting call the same as choosing a model, idiot or not?

OP says: if you are asking the address even though it's been givin to you 3 times already.

Because there will always be models who don't read, don't take up information even though you give it to them. Try to find a way to distingush idiots and non-idiots. Ignore the first group, write down the second group so you can contact them later on for other projects.

Feb 15 15 10:07 am Link

Photographer

MerrillMedia

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Do I have to shave my kneecaps? I never shave my kneecaps. You are a pig if you ask me to shave my kneecaps.

Feb 16 15 09:32 am Link