Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Does this make a person shallow?

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

R Bruce Duncan wrote:
If you wish to comment on the form of Mayhem contributors, you're, well, right up there with Sisyphus.

uh, i only rolled the rock up once...relax. no thought police action going on here. just a mild (jocular) query.

carry

on,

wayward on.

Feb 15 15 01:05 am Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

Jules NYC wrote:

I can't help myself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwre56HczMg

Exactly!!   hahahaha

Feb 15 15 06:19 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Lovely Day Media wrote:
What is "quite apparent" and what the truth is are or could be different things. It is logical that what you say is true, but what if that's not what was meant? Should I just take it upon myself to answer any question in any way I see fit even if that's not the question that was asked?

I get this all the time. I ask a person ... guess who I saw today? The reply? What? It's not what as in what did you say, it's what as in what did you see? What time do you have to be at work tomorrow? We're making chicken soup and beef stew. How big is the engine in your car? It has a 5 speed transmission.  What do others think? I have no clue as it all depends on who they are and how they feel that day.

Just for the record, teachers, English or not, generally hated me because I'd use their words against them. They'd say do this, that and the other. I'd do this, that and the other. When I'd get less than a 100% grade because they didn't like how I did it, I'd remind them that the instructions were to do these things. They didn't say how or why. If they wanted them done in a specific way, they should've said do this in this specific way. Since they didn't and I followed instructions, I should get a 100% grade for that.  Stronger teachers would usually give in and give me the 100% grade. Weaker teachers would decide they're the teacher so they're right and would go out of their way to give me lower grades in the future.

The issue here wasn't that you were "wrong," but that you were questioning authority. Different adults are going to have different opinions and ways of dealing with that. Neither way was weak or strong, just different. The more you do allow kids to question authority, the more likely you are to have behavior problems to manage. But, at the same time, you might get better thinkers. If you have the patience to be dealing with disruption and fights all day (and my brief experience working in public school showed there is already an excess of that), then go right ahead and allow students to question you without consequences. Given the nature of the work I did, one opportunity to question authority, typically led to a downhill slide in both behavior and overall respect shown towards adults.

The vast majority of jobs we must anticipate children will get as adults are simply doing whatever your boss tells you, in exactly the way your boss tells you to do it. No room for questions. That goes for both white and blue collar jobs. It is fair to say, that what you refer to as the "weaker" teachers were likely doing a better job of training you for the actual workforce.

Feb 15 15 06:30 am Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

GK photo wrote:

uh, i only rolled the rock up once...relax. no thought police action going on here. just a mild (jocular) query.

carry

on,

wayward on.

my friend

Oksana

Types like this as well

Except

Each line is

A seperate message

(Which means I get 6 messages rapid fire in a row on facebook)

Feb 15 15 06:31 am Link

Photographer

ValHig

London, England, United Kingdom

I think I'm always bemused by folks who are overly concerned by who other people are/aren't fucking.

I also think that this thread smells a bit of a Nice Guy™.

Feb 15 15 08:53 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-VvfRdsyy4rI/UiBRtozrV4I/AAAAAAAA4XY/zMA2fsmFSbI/s1600/You+can't+expect+to+have+a+deep+relationship+with+a+shallow+person.jpg

Feb 15 15 08:53 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

ValHig wrote:
I think I'm always bemused by folks who are concerned by who other people are/aren't fucking.

I also think that this thread smells a bit of a Nice Guy™.

Nice Guy™

lol
*Dies*

Feb 15 15 08:54 am Link

Photographer

ValHig

London, England, United Kingdom

Jules NYC wrote:

Nice Guy™

lol
*Dies*

Don't tell me you didn't get a whiff.