Forums > Photography Talk > Is Paypal safe for Craiglist transactions?

Photographer

gery edra

Los Angeles, California, US

Im selling my D800e in Craiglist and I keep getting emails from several people who wants to pay me extra $100 to ship it. They are asking for my Paypal account so they can pay me.  They always say they are buying it as a gift for their son and wants me to ship it .  I have a feeling this is a scam, but I'm trying to figure out how it works with Paypal.  Any ideas?

Feb 13 15 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

I wouldn't get anywhere near one of those transactions.  Turn around and run quickly.

Feb 13 15 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

gery edra wrote:
Im selling my D800e in Craiglist and I keep getting emails from several people who wants to pay me extra $100 to ship it. They are asking for my Paypal account so they can pay me.  They always say they are buying it as a gift for their son and wants me to ship it .  I have a feeling this is a scam, but I'm trying to figure out how it works with Paypal.  Any ideas?

Did you know that the word "gullible" is actually not in the Dictionary?

Feb 13 15 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

They will send you a bogus Paypal email.   The email will look like it comes from Paypal but if you log into your account you will see the funds aren't there.   I would suggest ONLY doing in person transactions and buy one of the special pens that shows if money is real or ask for small bills.   No $50.00 or $100.00 bills.

Feb 13 15 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

EdgarPaul

Cerritos, California, US

Don't do it. Paypal seller protection is horrible even if the transaction is legitimate. If someone can't pay you cash on the spot there is always Square. It's a credit card reader that you attach to your phone. Its a has a low percentage fee and can tell you instantly if the transaction has been approved. The money will be in you account about two days later.

Feb 13 15 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

Hussain Hijazi

Houston, Texas, US

I don't agree with the guys. I don't understand how it is different than buying here or on other photography forums. Just be careful and diligent. I have done tons of transactions on FM, Nikonians, CL, etc... Only been scammed once as a buyer, not a seller. Of course got my money back via PayPal protection.

Make sure you have the money in your account,  ship to the confirmed Paypal address they sent the money from, keep documentation of the email correspondence. Dont give out credentials tgrough suspicious links. If anything, face to face cash transactions freak me out more than online ones!

Feb 13 15 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Hayden Photo

Totowa, New Jersey, US

If they're legit have them send it to you as a gift. Gifts are non refundable and not subject to fees, so you as the seller are perfectly safe. That's usually the quickest way to weed out scammers, and can also be done for in-person transactions via phone.

Feb 13 15 11:38 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Hussain Hijazi wrote:
I don't agree with the guys. I don't understand how it is different than buying here or on other photography forums.

If you're disagreeing that this is an obvious scam, then you are doing a *HUGE* disservice to the OP (if this is actually a legit post) and anyone else in this position.

1. No one ever legitimately pays extra for something. There's no reason to. So why would someone pay extra when an exact amount is agreed to and sufficient?

2. PayPal emails are easy to fake (making them look the same as a legit one). I've gotten fake ones trying to scam me. If someone is paying by Paypal, you check your PayPal account, verify funds have been added, and immediately withdraw them to you bank account. Once the funds have entered your bank account, consider the transaction complete and ship the item. Period. Even then, I don't know how far PayPal can go to take that money back if the buyer complains. I've heard horror stories.

3. Take cash only (small bills as someone above mentioned, unless you have the pen). It's the only real safe way. Even with a credit card, the buyer can dispute the charges. Do you really want to leave it up to the credit card company to decide if you get to keep the money after the buyer already has your expensive item?

My personal philosophy is only deal with people in person and take cash. Every Craigslist item I sell is marked with "cash and locals only." Ever since I started putting that, I've gotten very few of these scam emails about the overpaying for shipping, asking if I'll take PayPal or money orders, etc. And meet in a busy public place with people around to complete the transaction. Maybe I'm overly cautious, but I've also never been scammed.

Feb 14 15 07:56 am Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I made the mistake of selling a couple of Artemide Tizio lamps, posted locally, to an asshat across the country.

Payment from Paypal went through just fine. Took them down to FedEx where they were properly packed, by an employee, and shipped out.

About a week later I get an email from Paypal dinging my account for the purchase price because "item shipped was not as described or defective" (something along those lines).

What the hell? They weren't defective when I shipped them and I seriously doubted they were damaged during shipping (the packaging was excellent).

I appealed Paypal's decision. And lost.

So, I'm pissed because I'm out my money. No clue if they are being sent back to me. And I just know this jerk is running some kind of con, but I don't know what it is.

Turns out the jerk also made a claim to FedEx and they were just about to cut him a check for the lamps (he ends up with his money back from me plus he gets the value of the lamps from FedEx).

After gathering all the emails, reference and contact numbers, FedEx decided I was the one that should be paid the value of the items. FedEx sent the check to me instead.

Haha, you effin asshole! Try to scam me!

Asshat learns that FedEx is paying me and sends me an email demanding half of the money! lol ... I sent him a nice email.

Still pissed that he had the audacity to do this, I put together a coherent presentation of his con, sent it to PayPal and FedEx, and demanded they suspend his accounts (for fraud and theft).

If you want to buy something from me, show up in person, and bring cash.

Feb 14 15 08:34 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

gery edra wrote:

WOW...with all the Warning Flags on Craigslist..You still ask questions about Warning Flags. I wish the makers of Slap-a-phone..would make Slap-a-computer!

Feb 14 15 08:35 am Link

Photographer

CNP Photography

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Craigslist means personal meet, cash money only and in a public place. Anything else is asking to get ripped off.

Feb 14 15 08:43 am Link

Photographer

Big Apple Models

New York, New York, US

If you can't sell it to a local for cash, don't do craigslist. Do eBay.

Feb 14 15 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

I'm in the midst of selling my D300 both here and on craigslist. On Craigslist I got 4 responses all of which were apparently scams - the most blatant one wanted me to ship to his girlfriend with this nonsense address - when I googled the address it was in Nigeria. He wanted to use Paypal. I don't trust paypal for non-ebay use for selling - there must be a reason these scammers prefer Paypal. If you use Paypal only ship to their verified Paypal address after receiving and verifying payment.

Feb 14 15 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

Renato Alberto

San Francisco, California, US

gery edra wrote:

Although I like and use PayPal, I don't trust PayPal to sell my stuff and receive payment, unless I am selling on eBay. If I am selling something on Craig's list, it is to local people, and it must be cash or credit card that I use square to process. Now I have a friend of mine that does sell on Craig's list and does accept PayPal. He said he has figured out a way to make it work. What he does is that he has 2 PayPal accounts, one that he uses normally and one just to sell stuff online, that it's not eBay. His ads say something to the effect that if you want me to ship this item to you and you want to pay me by PayPal, you must agree to the following. 1. You must transfer the money to my PayPal Account as a gift. 2. You must agree that the item will not be shipped to you until 5 business days after the transfer has occurred. What what does he do in those 5 days? He transfers the money from the PayPal Account to his bank account that is connected to that account. When the money is out of the PayPal account and in his bank account, he ships the item. That account has very little funds. You get the idea. It works for him.

Feb 14 15 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Carl Herbert

Bellevue, Washington, US

There was a time when Paypal was fairly trustworthy, but the company has changed. I think they are not really trustworthy anymore. Paypal is not a bank so it does not provide the same level of consumer protection you would get by dealing through a normal bank.

As has been stated already, Paypal's protection isn't very strong for recipients of money transfers -- i.e., sellers. I'm not sure if it is completely due to the company's ownership by eBay, but the relationship seems to have affected their practices quite a bit. I recently closed my checking account that I used with Paypal and I expect never to do business with them again.

Feb 14 15 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

Hussain Hijazi wrote:
I don't agree with the guys. I don't understand how it is different than buying here or on other photography forums. Just be careful and diligent. I have done tons of transactions on FM, Nikonians, CL, etc... Only been scammed once as a buyer, not a seller. Of course got my money back via PayPal protection.

Make sure you have the money in your account,  ship to the confirmed Paypal address they sent the money from, keep documentation of the email correspondence. Dont give out credentials tgrough suspicious links. If anything, face to face cash transactions freak me out more than online ones!

It's very different, craig's list is full of thievs, scammers and scumbags looking to trick poor schmucks into giving out personal info or $$$$.

Feb 14 15 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Hussain Hijazi wrote:
I don't agree with the guys. I don't understand how it is different than buying here or on other photography forums. !

You're right, YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!

There's TONS of warnings on CL and practically everywhere else explaining that those type of transactions are nothing but SCAMS!!!

There's too many to list, but they range everywhere from the typical 'overpay with check, return balance by wire', to stolen credit cards, to fake checks or fake PayPal accounts... and everything in between.

Feb 14 15 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Segments from the WARNING page from Craigslist:
http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

Avoiding Scams wrote:
Deal locally, face-to-face —follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts.

Do not extend payment to anyone you have not met in person.
Beware offers involving shipping - deal with locals you can meet in person.
Never wire funds (e.g. Western Union) - anyone who asks you to is a scammer.
Don't accept cashier/certified checks or money orders - banks cash fakes, then hold you responsible.
Transactions are between users only, no third party provides a "guarantee".
Never give out financial info (bank account, social security, paypal account, etc).
Do not rent or purchase sight-unseen—that amazing "deal" may not exist.
Refuse background/credit checks until you have met landlord/employer in person.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Recognizing scams

Most scams attempts involve one or more of the following:

Email or text from someone that is not local to your area.     <--------------
Vague initial inquiry, e.g. asking about "the item." Poor grammar/spelling.
Western Union, Money Gram, cashier check, money order, paypal, shipping, escrow service, or a "guarantee."  <------------
Inability or refusal to meet face-to-face to complete the transaction.   <---------

Feb 14 15 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

gery edra wrote:

Only sell it to someone with cash. Then you only meet them at a coffee shop or restaurant. Not in a parking lot.

Feb 14 15 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

terrysphotocountry wrote:
Only sell it to someone with cash. Then you only meet them at a coffee shop or restaurant. Not in a parking lot.

Due to a few recent episodes where the seller was robbed after meeting the supposed buyer, many police stations are recommending to do the transaction in the police department lobby or parking lot.    A legitimate person shouldn't refuse to meet there.

related story:
http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.s … e_res.html

Feb 14 15 04:52 pm Link