Forums > Photography Talk > Full frame: Canon 6D or Nikon D610?

Photographer

GianlucaLimongelli

Bolzano, Trentino-Alto Adige, Italy

Hi, i've decided to pass at fullframe... I think both of those cameras can do a great job, but wich of theme you'll choice? At lower ISO, Nikon D610 is sharper than the 6D, but looking at a noise test i was impressed by the cleaning of the picture produced by the 6D! The problem is that this camera looks like a toy!! I don't own a lot of lenses, and i'm not a brand's fan ,so I can pass to Nikon from Canon  (i own a t3) without many problems. The important thing for me is to have a solide good camera that I can use to work. So... do you think the 6D it's a good camera to work professionaly? As you can see in my portfolio I like to use natural light even in closed space, and the performance of the 6D at High Iso really impressed me, but the Nikon looks a little bit more "solid". Help me please big_smile     ps: my budget is around 1100-1300 euro (just for body) so i could not take higher level camera as the markIII or others!

Feb 15 15 11:23 am Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

GianlucaLimongelli wrote:
Hi, i've decided to pass at fullframe... I think both of those cameras can do a great job, but wich of theme you'll choice? At lower ISO, Nikon D610 is sharper than the 6D, but looking at a noise test i was impressed by the cleaning of the picture produced by the 6D! The problem is that this camera looks like a toy!! I don't own a lot of lenses, and i'm not a brand's fan ,so I can pass to Nikon from Canon  (i own a t3) without many problems. The important thing for me is to have a solide good camera that I can use to work. So... do you think the 6D it's a good camera to work professionaly? As you can see in my portfolio I like to use natural light even in closed space, and the performance of the 6D at High Iso really impressed me, but the Nikon looks a little bit more "solid". Help me please big_smile     ps: my budget is around 1100-1300 euro (just for body) so i could not take higher level camera as the markIII or others!

Nikon now has an "instant rebate" on the D610 at US $1496 and comes with some extra's (case, extra battery, wireless remote).  I don't have any experience with the 6D.  Friends who have the 5D3 tell me that it performs well at high iso.  My experience with 5DII was that it was abominable at high ISO.  I have a D800 with essentially the same sensor as the D610 and it has magnificent low light/high ISO performance.  Canon glass is way more expensive than the equivalent in Nikon glass.  I've never regretted switching from Canon to Nikon.

Feb 15 15 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Jason Haven

Washington, District of Columbia, US

IMO, Nikon's are the better value... their (Sony provided) sensors are a lot more flexible than Canon's currently... features wise, Canon and Nikon tend to be neck and neck... and from what I can tell, Canon has slightly better lenses, but for the most part it's a pretty close race. If you're doing work that requires dynamic range, I'd say Nikon easily, but if not... basically choose whichever camera/system feels best in hand.

Feb 15 15 11:52 am Link

Photographer

Michael Spring

London, England, United Kingdom

I shoot with the 6D and yes, the ISO performance is amazing!!! Honestly, I have never used the Nikon camera's....

Feb 15 15 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Maxximages

Los Angeles, California, US

Compare the focusing ability of the 2 if you can't get the camera to focus for what you want it too it does not matter the rest of the specs. Nikon has a lot more focus points. I have not used either camera but have used a 5D2 and D800. A crippled focusing system is a pain in the ass you will have to live with.

Feb 15 15 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

Some peoples photography is body limited and some isn't. If your body requirements are not that high - and most studio photographers arent - then you should be looking at lenses really.

And that's where canon excels.

Feb 16 15 12:22 am Link

Photographer

GianlucaLimongelli

Bolzano, Trentino-Alto Adige, Italy

I have time to make my choice... there are positive&negative points for both, so thankyou all for your points of view!

Feb 16 15 12:27 am Link

Photographer

BillyPhotography

Chicago, Illinois, US

I've used the 6D only once, but my main/backup camera is a D600. 

The overall image quality is better on the Nikon, and the Canon is a bit more expensive.  Even at the same price I would buy the Nikon.

The one reason to buy the 6D over the D610 is if you want to do video.  The Nikon has poor video (today) for it's price (both quality and options), but the 6D is still very good, especially in low light.

Feb 16 15 04:43 am Link

Photographer

Photos by Lorrin

Eugene, Oregon, US

Nikon and Canon users are really biased.

Nikon does some thing better and Canon does some things better.

I have owned both and currently own Nikon.

Shoot a test at a variety of ISO.

Especially shoot at thee ISO you need the most.

I do not think lens sharpess between the two is all that different.

Feb 16 15 05:03 am Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

I wouldn't touch 6D with a barge pole and would recommend D610 instead (Canon shooter myself).

Feb 16 15 05:23 am Link

Photographer

Ryan Krukowski

New York, New York, US

BillyVegas wrote:
I've used the 6D only once, but my main/backup camera is a D600. 

The overall image quality is better on the Nikon, and the Canon is a bit more expensive.  Even at the same price I would buy the Nikon.

The one reason to buy the 6D over the D610 is if you want to do video.  The Nikon has poor video (today) for it's price (both quality and options), but the 6D is still very good, especially in low light.

Basically this ^^  For this particular comparison. A buddy of mine who shoots for news publications had the 6D - the tech features were nice: gps, wifi etc. (also good for photojournalism / on the fly reporting) - but admitted it was never really used.

D610 is a solid unit, personally own one for client / photojournalism work, no complaints for an FX sensor. Heavier body than the 6D, feels more durable / rugged.

Feb 16 15 08:45 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

I have both, but with different focal length lenses.

One thing i hate about the 6D is the clunkyness to change the focusing spot quickly. It's just cumbersome have to push a different button that your thumb is not easily reach to. Nikon has this so much easie rto do on the fly.

Feb 16 15 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

Stay Young Photography

Cocoa, Florida, US

I just bought the D600 after looking at both the D600 and the 6D (I had a rebel previously). I'm pretty happy with my choice, the only thing it has issues with is focusing against the blue sky but that could be me still getting used to it. I took a few test shots up to iso 6400 and the noise wasn't that noticeable (there was some but it wasn't that bad).

Feb 16 15 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

BCADULTART

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I have been a NIKON user since the 1970's, during the 1980's I used CANON, F-1n's and L glass from 16 to 300.  In the 90's I went back to NIKON and am now using the D800's and D700's.  The main thing to me is that every piece of F mount glass I have owned will work on my D series bodies.  For me Canon made a big mistake when they changed their lens mount and how many times have they modified it since the FD?  I also am in LOVE with the D800.

Chuck

Feb 16 15 02:52 pm Link