Forums > General Industry > Attention: i got hacked.

Artist/Painter

Starlightstudios

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Contact email: [email protected]  (( please ignore any contact from this person, i apologizes for the mis understanding, some one hacked my account i already changed my  pass word sorry for the inconvenient ill be updating my profile today.)

Feb 16 15 07:14 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

You'll want to clean your cache as well.

Feb 16 15 07:19 am Link

Artist/Painter

Starlightstudios

Baltimore, Maryland, US

How do you clear my cache? Or do you mean my internet history?

Feb 16 15 07:26 am Link

Photographer

EC Royce

Naples, Florida, US

You aren't the only person apparently. I received this message listing the same email (thanks for posting it so it showed in search results) from a model account:

Dear MMer,
How are you doing this morning? Your service is needed to be our photographer for an editorial paid job project? If you are interested, kindly email the below contact info for the job details.

Contact email: [email protected]

Thanks
Marc

Feb 16 15 07:39 am Link

Artist/Painter

Starlightstudios

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Yes that is it please ignore any message from his email every thing has been resolved and i went though the verification processes that i am who i am and my account was closed and now i am back best regards and be careful .

Feb 16 15 11:51 am Link

Photographer

Maxximages

Los Angeles, California, US

How strange. I just received an MM email from a model I shot with 4 years ago asking if I had sent her an email about a port update. I had not.

Feb 16 15 01:03 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Starlightstudios

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Consider changing your password and quickly i wish you all the best; i have re-sovled my issue The monitor closed my account and here i am again it dident take to long of a time but i notice the person was able to harass about 6 pages worth of emails and i have vip so they can contact allot of people..

Feb 16 15 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Dragonwarriorstm wrote:
How do you clear my cache? Or do you mean my internet history?

Yes-- http://www.ehow.com/how_5066726_clear-c … lorer.html

Feb 16 15 01:17 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Starlightstudios

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Thank you that was very useful i thought that's what you meant i just wanted to see if you meant something else instead. Best regards and stay safe there people with no lives and apparently they think its a good idea to ruin other peoples.

Feb 16 15 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

RacyLace

Lancaster, California, US

Received a similar email today with a slightly different email address: [email protected]. Same message about wanting to hire me as a photographer. I first checked the status of the account and it was either waiting for approval or removed. Not quite sure what their fishing for by getting me to email them back but I'm steering clear.

Mar 21 15 05:23 am Link

Artist/Painter

Starlightstudios

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Some people really need something better to do with their time, I posted this in hopes of fighting back against these spammers, just don't up and give up, just because you're first shoot with a photographer was les then professional doesn't mean you quite you're ambitions to become a model, the same logic can be applied here.

Mar 21 15 05:55 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Dragonwarriorstm wrote:
Contact email: [email protected]  (( please ignore any contact from this person, i apologizes for the mis understanding, some one hacked my account i already changed my  pass word sorry for the inconvenient ill be updating my profile today.)

I want to see if I am understanding this clearly.   It is sounding to me that someone hacked your email account, got your contact list and then sent messages out as if it was coming from you.  Is that what you are telling people here?

I get emails, periodically get emails from people I know, which I know didn't originate from them.  In other words, the same kind of thing happened.  I am not sure that they got the list by hacking into their email accounts.  They did. however, get all or some of their contacts.  The purpose is to send messages to people and gain their trust by having it come from someone they think they know.

The hackers have gotten pretty sophisticated in their ways of grabbing contact lists.  Thank you for your warning because it is a pervasive problem these days.

Mar 21 15 07:13 am Link

Photographer

David Nunez

I just got a message yesterday morning as well.

"Dear MMer,
How are you doing this morning? Your service is needed to be our photographer for an editorial paid job project? If you are interested, kindly email the below contact info for the job details.

Thanks
Happy weekend!"

I didn't reply and I just googled the email and it took me to this forum.

Mar 22 15 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Last year, I got a MM message,from the account of a model I had shot with, saying they had lost our images & could I send them to her at her (correct) email.. I thought it sounded funny, as we had never used her email to communicate. Right after I got an email from her real email account with the same request. Just didn't seem right, so, I, instead, texted her at the phone number we had been using, & mentioned it to her. Turned out she had not sent the message or the email! Was news to her! Seems both were hacked, so we agreed to only contact by text. I think she was later able to reset passwords to resolve it.

Mar 22 15 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

Eye of the World

Corvallis, Oregon, US

I hope people realize that it is not necessarily their email that got hacked. The spammers use ANY email they can harvest. IOW, anyone who has your address in their contact list could be the real account that was hacked. With spoofing the spammers can send messages that appear to come from any of those harvested addresses.

Mar 22 15 10:05 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Starlightstudios

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Yes, so This Marc could of hackecd some one ellse or it is possible you resived the email from me, or some one ellse. all i have to say is these people should get a life, I changed my email adress recently becouse shome how they still manage to hack my acount again, I am guessing they had access to my email and figured out the new password.

Mar 23 15 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

Gfarrell

Someone should make something to stop this, if it really is scam ...

/// Dear Mmer,
  I'm Marc Derec, official director of photography for New Talents Magazine. I acknowledged your interest and application for the catalog shoot offer via ModelMayhem.
  Therefore, I officially welcomed your interest on this opportunity as our potential photographer for the upcoming project. We are very busy running many projects at the moment so we need more hands to deliver a good results. Therefore, we need your service to be our hired photographer for the upcoming shoot in the second week of next month.

The Shoot Is For What? It's a Catalog Photo Shoot assignment to showcase/features different brands of Hand Bags, Purses, Wallets and Gift items. It intends featuring a large collection of new products from various sources and manufacturers; to be displayed in an online Classified ad, Pamphlets, Billboards, Hand bills and Calendars. Our obligation in respect to this piece of project is to generate some marketable images to feature these items, where a model will pose with the various products and sizes to exhibiting a photographic character/language able to attract and call consumer's attention. It is very simple and works the same as any typical promotional or commercial photo shoot. The end product from the photo shoot is an online classified ad, Pamphlets, Billboards and Calendars that would convince the public to make these collection a choice among others.

DATE/TIME & LOCATION:
Dates: 12th OF APRIL/13 OF APRIL(pick just one date that works for you from the two dates). TIME: 12PM TO 4PM.

SHOOT LOCATION/VENUE:
Our favorite location for this gig is within your City, this was why you were contacted as the closest photographer, The location manager will secure a suitable arena near enough for the shoot, and once we secured the venue; ONE WEEK BEFORE THE PROJECT, the location info/address will be emailed to you. Transportation will cost you less. And about the compensation; our professional standard rate as slated and endorsed for this shoot is $450 per hour(TOTAL 4 HOURS GIVES YOU $1,800). An advanced deposit of $500.00 will be issued to you via a certified/valid Check as designed by our policy. Hereafter, your balance would be paid to you at the completion of the job.

Furthermore, CAN WE TRUST YOU? the check amount to be issued to you would include money for the studio payment. You'd deduct the advanced payment of $500 stated above, and then forward the remainder to the location manager for the location to be secured. I believed this won't be a problem for you to do. The location manager info for the payment will be given to you as soon as the payment is mailed out. (We shouldn't have put this responsibility on you but we just fired our financial expert few days ago due to the mismanagement of company funds) Your understanding and trust is highly appreciated!

If you have read and understood the content of this message kindly filled the " Payment Sign Up Form" below.

(PAYMENT DETAILS MUST BE FILLED TO SIGN UP)

1.Name to be written on the check:

2.Residence address:(Not Po. Box)

3.City/state/zip code:

4.Daily access email address:

5.Direct Mobile phone number:

Best Regards
Marc Derec
661-424-7554(For both call/Text)
NewTalents Inc.  ///

Mar 23 15 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Gfarrell wrote:
Someone should make something to stop this, if it really is scam ...

An advanced deposit of $500.00 will be issued to you via a certified/valid Check as designed by our policy...

Furthermore, CAN WE TRUST YOU? the check amount to be issued to you would include money for the studio payment. You'd deduct the advanced payment of $500 stated above, and then forward the remainder to the location manager for the location to be secured.

Yes, this really is a scam.  I never cease to be amazed how many victims want to prove that they are trustworthy.

Mar 23 15 04:18 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Starlightstudios

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Another person having nothing better to do then to scam people

Mar 23 15 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

mophotoart

Wichita, Kansas, US

spoofing alert as well...they got me too sorta...sent me an email from myself.....they spoof your email and send it out and the recipient thinks it is you....nope...going rampant again....changing your password and all does not help..you have to close that email...they have not hacked you...they spoofed your email...they are targeting facebook, business sites, and obviously MM sites so take down email address, only communicate through MM...and unfortunately, end the email account because nobody  can trust that email anymore

Mar 24 15 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

NomadGlam

Denver, Colorado, US

This is ongoing. Today I received a message with this same marcderec email address, as well. It was sent via MM message from yet a different MM account than any mentioned above. Note that it was an MM message, not an email, which would lead me to believe this person is hacking into MM accounts.

+++++
Dear MMer,
How are you doing? Your service is needed to be our photographer for an editorial paid project? If you are interested, kindly email the below contact info for the job details.

Thanks
+++++

It looked fishy because the owner of the MM account had his email address in his profile, and of course this didn't match. Glad I googled the email address and found this thread. Beware.

Mar 26 15 07:39 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Moderator Note!

NomadGlam wrote:
This is ongoing. Today I received a message with this same marcderec email address, as well. It was sent via MM message from yet a different MM account than any mentioned above. Note that it was an MM message, not an email, which would lead me to believe this person is hacking into MM accounts.

+++++
Dear MMer,
How are you doing? Your service is needed to be our photographer for an editorial paid project? If you are interested, kindly email the below contact info for the job details.

Thanks
+++++

It looked fishy because the owner of the MM account had his email address in his profile, and of course this didn't match. Glad I googled the email address and found this thread. Beware.

I have just contacted you to ask you about what happened.  Thank you for making us aware.

If anyone else ever has this problem, please contact us at:  https://www.modelmayhem.com/contactamod

Please tell us all about it and particularly let us know who you got the message from.  We shut these profiles down as soon as we become aware of them.

Mar 26 15 08:03 am Link

Photographer

NomadGlam

Denver, Colorado, US

GPS Studio Services wrote:
I have just contacted you to ask you about what happened.  Thank you for making us aware.

If anyone else ever has this problem, please contact us at:  https://www.modelmayhem.com/contactamod

Please tell us all about it and particularly let us know who you got the message from.  We shut these profiles down as soon as we become aware of them.

Thanks for the fast response to this. I had flagged the message, and was contacted by three mods within about 30 minutes of posting. Your attention to these kinds of things is greatly appreciated! Cheers!

Mar 26 15 09:00 am Link

Photographer

GabbyMcNally

Moreno Valley, California, US

I received his email as well, I got a little suspicious and haven't replied to him and now he is texting me. He is asking if I received his email.

Mar 29 15 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Cosplay_Book

Cathedral City, California, US

GabbyMcNally wrote:
I received his email as well, I got a little suspicious and haven't replied to him and now he is texting me. He is asking if I received his email.

One reason why I never place anyone in my contacts now. Pretty much remember everyone's emails or I look them up in my send list if I want to ever contact anyone. Pretty much anything business-related I just stick in a private folder. So, any spoof e-mails of me will never really take-off. Pretty much the only thing I can for certain say, is that he has my phone number and personal address. Doesn't matter much to me since pretty much I just toss out any hardcopy bills and spam mail. Everything I do now is digital and often encrypted.

If he supposedly does send me money, I would probably send it straight to FBI. Only logical way to do it. lol Or risk prison time myself if it turns out to be another wage-earner's money.

Mar 30 15 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

I recently got an email "apparently" from a model I worked with in the past. Not via MM.   The CC address list was legit looking (including a couple names I recognized as being real and appropriate to the situation).  Link in the message was malware that the Antivirus program blocked.  Looked closer and the originating mail server was out of country.  The message was a forgery - including the "real" CC list.

Apr 03 15 09:34 pm Link