Forums > Critique > Been a while here, updated with recent works, CC!!

Photographer

Arty_Digital

San Francisco, California, US

It's been a while since I've been on MM. I've been let down by some of the people here so I decided to try a different approach to just keep myself behind the lens. And the results have been posted! More coming soon hopefully.

I've been having a blast recently meeting new people, both experienced and new. I learn from each and everyone and they also help me stay on my toes and really strengthen my directorial skills for that one shot.

Still a long way to go. All the crits would be appreciated!

Feb 21 15 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Bolton Photography

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Paolo,

I like some of your images (I won't point out which ones at this point....)

First, let me question why you used these camera settings on your first image?
1/2,500 sec, f/7.1, ISO 400

I'm just curious because the higher the ISO setting, the lower the quality of the images will be. Mind you, 400 ISO isn't really a concern, but.....1/500 @ ISO 100 should result in the same exposure, with better a quality...

...just curious...

Feb 21 15 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

Arty_Digital

Honestly? It's still a learning habit I'm picking up when shooting against the sun like that. I'll give it a shot next time. I generally shoot between 200-640 ISO. I'll give it a shot next time!

Feb 22 15 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Doug Bolton Photography

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

I see what you were trying to do in this image....
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/140805/23/53e1d0908bb07_m.jpg

...but generally speaking this is, quite possibly, the most unflattering pose a photographer could ever direct a model into. You have a few images like this one where the model is "square" to the lens - hips, shoulders, head.....

There are a few free uTube videos out there that help us learn posing techniques.

Good luck, and keep on shooting!

Feb 22 15 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Arty_Digital

haha I guess I should switch out some photos completely! The ones with no comments were all very recent. the rest were some time last year. taking time off from MM gave me some perspective and used different approaches to meet new people

Feb 22 15 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150221/21/54e96299cd267_m.jpg
Depending on the purpose of the photo determines the critique.
For a photographers wall hanging in studio this would work well, or the models living room wall.
For a models portfolio less than half the photo is of the model, sunlight a bit harsh a scrim would tone it down
Of your present photos this is my top choice

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/140702/15/53b48dd3284c5_m.jpg
This would be my second top pick, wish focus was sharper [Model quite square to camera, place body on angle, keep head as it is and would add dynamics]

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150221/20/54e960b0e8fe2_m.jpg
3rd place top pick, crop wise would like to see more space in front of model then behind, sunlight a bit harsh

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/140913/08/54145c00db91f_m.jpg
Also a nice photo
Loose the glasses off top of head, move models left elbow away from body, to reduce squishing in upper arm

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150221/21/54e963cf3f5f2_m.jpg
Ok, but model seems so disinterested

Wish you well

Feb 23 15 05:26 am Link

Photographer

Arty_Digital

Awesome! Yeah, I'm alright with the harsh shadows, haven't had any complaints from the people I've worked with. Either, face the sun, back from the sun or half sun/half shadow.

Gotta change it up with squaring against the camera haha, definitely taking note of that. And the small details I'm still picking up on, like that 'squished' effect!

As for the last one, the model had the length and angles, told her to pull off the, you've been here for a while, done with the books, just waiting on friends, and just used the library - in this case - the cabinet - like it was her own.

Thought about upgrading to FX from nikon D7100. But I don't really much of a huge jump. The D610 has about the same specs as the 7100 but only FX and the D750 is better with low light and FX. But for less than 1k, the D610 sounds like a steal, but then upgrading lenses too? Feeling like I have to wait.

Thanks guys!!!

Feb 23 15 10:31 am Link

Photographer

Zhiffy Photography

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

Your photos are OK. Not amazing, but not terrible either.

I think now is really finding the direction you want to go for. Look through loads and loads of images, books and online, and save them up. Build a library of photographs you love in your head and soon you'll be able to recognize the angles in your own photoshoot that helps create the images you love. Also, note that a photo isn't much unless it has some sort of mood or feeling to it (without sounding too airy fairy about it). Learn how to recognize those moments in your own shoots and that'll bring you far (:

Feb 23 15 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Arty_Digital

yeah, haha pinterest has helped create ideas and generally, the pins I like, similar posts start popping up. Thanks for the tip!

Feb 24 15 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

MinaretPhotography

Mammoth Lakes, California, US

I like what you're doing and I like the wider angle style, that's my style too. We live in cool places, we should show that in our images; as long as the model looks like the focus of the image.

Feb 25 15 09:08 am Link

Photographer

Arty_Digital

MinaretPhotography wrote:
I like what you're doing and I like the wider angle style, that's my style too. We live in cool places, we should show that in our images; as long as the model looks like the focus of the image.

Yes! that's why i like location shoots. Urban, Beach, it really varies depending on the location like here in San Diego. Love your work!! I love wide angle shots, I just have to find my comfort zone in what my eye likes.

Feb 25 15 09:33 am Link