Forums > Model Colloquy > Model rate/hr in a photo walk

Model

Em Thi

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hello everyone,
I was wondering how much a model should charge for a photo walk in the snow? The park is also about an hour and a half away from where I live and I'm taking a bus to get there. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 02 15 07:31 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

What do you usually get paid for an hour of outdoor modelling? I think the cold and snow adds 50% to that number. If nudity or posing in a bikini or underwear in the snow is involved, then I would say double your usual rate for such work. You could also reasonably ask to have your bus fare covered, but you can't expect to be reimbursed for travel time.

A couple of years ago I did an hour outside in the snow in a regional park, about half clothed or in my underwear, the other half nude, and I was paid $100 for that plus gas expense because it was a student photographer I was working with.

Mar 03 15 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Depending on the usage and how uniquely quality you can bring to the table.  If this is just a concept for port development, I will pay nothing.  If this is a high profile commercial shoot, the sky is the limit.

Mar 03 15 10:59 am Link

Model

Em Thi

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

There's no nudity involved, it's a geisha shoot where hair and make up will be provided and yes its outside in the cold with snow. I wasn't sure on how to give the rate/hr because there's going to be at least 6 photographers taking pictures, as opposed to just one where I usually work with.

Mar 03 15 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

What has the photographer offered?  If he hasn't proposed a fee, then I'd say Mature Model's approach is the right one, but ultimately the deal should be a good deal for both parties and that may take some back and forth negotiation.  The general rule is that the one who throws out the first number is generally at a disadvantage, but that's not written in stone.

ETA after seeing the above:  Then I would expect the organizer to have set a fee for the other photographers and based on that to have come up with a fee, or possibly a percentage, for the model.  I can't imagine how you would negotiate separate fees for the several photographers.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Mar 03 15 03:18 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Modelling for six photographers is quite a bit different from one model one photographer. You can reasonably expect each of them is paying the organizer something for being able to participate.

To expand a little on what Ray mentioned about not being the first to quote a number, something that often works well is to ask the photographer/organizer what their budget is. You can then come up with a figure you will be happy with and they will be happy with, which may be higher than you would have quoted them had you not known what they were willing to spend.  Of course you should never come back with a number that is exactly what they said their limit was unless that limit is so low as to be unacceptable, then you could say that you usually get more than that.

Mar 03 15 04:07 pm Link

Model

Em Thi

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thank you everyone smile I really appreciate the feedback. I had to decline the offer since it was a bit too far my house and I couldn't find anyone to tag along with me; photoshoot with 6 photographers. I'll be asking the photographer first what their budget is and start from there next time.

Mar 05 15 08:45 am Link

Photographer

Philipe

Pomona, California, US

MinhThuy  wrote:
There's no nudity involved, it's a geisha shoot where hair and make up will be provided and yes its outside in the cold with snow. I wasn't sure on how to give the rate/hr because there's going to be at least 6 photographers taking pictures, as opposed to just one where I usually work with.

I guess first find out if they are for sure paying...
If yes try to find out what others are getting paid.. Then add who much it cost to get there

Mar 12 15 10:02 am Link