Forums > Photography Talk > Any photographers interested?

Artist/Painter

Jokermagician

Los Angeles, California, US

Good Afternoon one and all!

I'm new to model mayhem and very excited to be here!

My question is as such:

I am working on improving my work as an artist, sketch artist, figure artist, life drawing artist, and I was wondering if any photographers would be interested in allowing me (or would even like me) to utilize their images, ones already taken (i.e. - no separate photo shoot needed or anything), as reference imagery and do a sketch or two (or more) based on it/them? In my images on here are some sketches I've done based on reference imagery from models. Hope you enjoy them!

This is also posted within the model forum section adhering to models who may be interested.

Also - I will always credit the photographer and ask permission first. I will not do it without doing either of those things.

I would love to speak with anyone and everyone interested in this!

Thank you so much for your time and I hope to speak with you soon!

Take care!

- Jokermagician

Mar 03 15 07:45 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Jokermagician wrote:
Good Afternoon one and all!

I'm new to model mayhem and very excited to be here!

My question is as such:

...I was wondering if any photographers would be interested in allowing me (or would even like me) to utilize their images, ones already taken (i.e. - no separate photo shoot needed or anything), as reference imagery and do a sketch or two (or more) based on it/them? In my images on here are some sketches I've done based on reference imagery from models. Hope you enjoy them!

This is also posted within the model forum section adhering to models who may be interested.

Also - I will always credit the photographer and ask permission first. I will not do it without doing either of those things.

I would love to speak with anyone and everyone interested in this!

Thank you so much for your time and I hope to speak with you soon!

Take care!

- Jokermagician

Hi,
The initial questions in the model forum are here https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/941779

If a photographer was okay with you sketching a photo we created I'd love a copy or credit.

However, a better title might be, "Can I sketch your portfolio pictures?" That would be clear.
Jen

Mar 05 15 04:33 am Link

Artist/Painter

Jokermagician

Jen B wrote:
Hi,
The initial questions in the model forum are here https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/941779

If a photographer was okay with you sketching a photo we created I'd love a copy or credit.

However, a better title might be, "Can I sketch your portfolio pictures?" That would be clear.
Jen

Okay, I greatly appreciate your kindness in allowing me to do so! And I would absolutely give you a copy/credit!

Take care -

- Jokermagician

Mar 05 15 08:28 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Jokermagician wrote:
Okay, I greatly appreciate your kindness in allowing me to do so! And I would absolutely give you a copy/credit!

Take care -

- Jokermagician

Wrong sir, "I" am not giving you permission at all. IF a photographer does...
Jen

Mar 05 15 10:02 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

What Jen means is that the PHOTOGRAPHER is typically the copyright owner so permission should be obtained by the PHOTOGRAPHER, but it would be great if you also credited the photographer and the model... which by the tone of your message seems like something you'd be happy to do anyway.

Typically, many of the responses to a post like this will get into a bunch of armchair lawyers discussing copyright issues, derivative works, model releases... etc.  To be on the safe side it would probably be best to get permission from both the photographer and model.(which it appears that you're trying to do anyway... so it's a moot point).

Mar 05 15 10:17 am Link

Artist/Painter

Jokermagician

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
What Jen means is that the PHOTOGRAPHER is typically the copyright owner so permission should be obtained by the PHOTOGRAPHER, but it would be great if you also credited the photographer and the model... which by the tone of your message seems like something you'd be happy to do anyway.

Typically, many of the responses to a post like this will get into a bunch of armchair lawyers discussing copyright issues, derivative works, model releases... etc.  To be on the safe side it would probably be best to get permission from both the photographer and model.(which it appears that you're trying to do anyway... so it's a moot point).

Hey SayCheeZ,

I thank you for your response and yes, I'm absolutely happy to do all of the above. smile And I understand what you are saying as what several others have been saying. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to respond!

And I'm also appreciative of the fact that you see it as a "moot point," so, thank you so much!

Take care -

- Jokermagician

Mar 05 15 04:34 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Art Hermetic

Leeds, England, United Kingdom

Jokermagician wrote:
I am working on improving my work as an artist, sketch artist, figure artist, life drawing artist, and I was wondering if any photographers would be interested in allowing me (or would even like me) to utilize their images, ones already taken (i.e. - no separate photo shoot needed or anything), as reference imagery and do a sketch or two (or more) based on it/them?

You've posted this enquiry in model and photography threads. There isn't an Artist thread (unfortunately). So, in the absence of that, I'll give you a practical reply here. Yes, you must get permission from the photographer as the photographer is the creator of the image. Usually, if I've been asked to draw an image it has been at the request of a model-- so I've never had to seek model consent, they have made it clear from the start that they would like a drawing to happen. Models are often unsure about copyright and often believe that they have a copyright to a photo when they don't. Therefore, I'd say again: ask a photographer.

The response of a photographer will vary, depending on what they see in an artist's portfolio and whether they value art. Some will take a request to use an image as a sign of respect: they see an artist treating them as an artist and wishing to use their image is honourable. Others will take the opposite view and see the request as parasitical: the artist is living off the photographer's work. Both views are correct-- it's a matter of opinion. I have had photographers generously offer their work without a request and had vile responses from others in reply to a polite request. Humans have different responses, so it is more complex than legalities.

From an art point of view. I took up photography to produce my own photos from reference, to support drawing from life. I did this to avoid copyright issues, but also so as I have the process in my hands from the start. Many photographers shoot photographs-- not photos for figure drawing. That is a different skill. In my view, it is best for an artist to draw what he has created, the artist then draws what he sees, not what another photographer has seen. The matter becomes more complex when "transmutation" is considered....

Mar 08 15 07:14 am Link