Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Cinema Picks...

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

Santa Barbara, California, US

Okay, cinema is a little pretentious.

Still, for better or for worse, wanted to share a great--my personal value judgment--Italian film.

Everything one should expect from Italy.

Best of Youth.

All six hours of it are streaming on Netflix.

I, of course, liked the images of the women.

Especially a young Jasmine Trinca, portraying a wacko--literally--in the first part of the film

If I must justify the film, there's a great photography sub-plot.

A female photographer makes images--Leica, I believe--towards the beginning of the film.

It's so rich I don't expect I'll spoil it for anyone to suggest that she has her images, later, in a gallery.

Look for the kicker to come back with 1 hour and 20 minutes left.

For the sake of full disclosure, I'll admit that one self-appointed Netflix critic found it melodramatic.

I promise you that you have wasted more time on the Mayhem forums than it will take to enjoy this film.

RBD

Mar 19 15 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out :-)

I bought an AppleTV last month. I'm exploring Netflix, etc., for the first time.

I need to fill out my list of things to watch.

---

I just watched the original Zorro on Netflix, before voice was added to movies. It was fun.

I'm also zooming through 8 seasons of Magnum PI tongue

Mar 19 15 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

Who wants to watch six hours of rich Italian dialogue and cinematography, Click?

I do, and I'd do it again in a New York nano-second.

Netflix is flawed--isn't everything?--and they've made most of the good stuff DVD only.

I have nothing against Tom Selleck--he's more than accomplished--but I've enjoyed the Jesse Stone series much more.

These are from novels by Robert Parker.

Pensive, philosophical, ambiguous.

You can still stream a couple on Netflix... but the rest you'll have to get the DVDs.

Well worth it.

RBD

Mar 20 15 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

Because everyone here is so much more up-to-date than I am, I'm certain everyone else knows this one.

Cinderella Man.

Russell Crowe--he's money in the bank--and some actress, Renee Ze.....

Sorry, I'm not good a spelling.

My impression is that this Renee woman is perfectly capable of any kind of beauty one could ask for, but in this film it's underplayed.

Still, she's an important part of what makes this film work.

RBD

Mar 21 15 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

Anyone else notice that the latest--and last--season of Mad Men is up on Netflix?

I see binge viewing ahead.

RBD

Mar 24 15 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

I strongly recommend that everyone stop what they are doing right now and stream Force Majeure, available on Netflix. Disclaimer: I LOVE Scandinavian film. LOVE LOVE LOVE. And this amazing Swedish film just adds to the love. We watched it last night and I am already looking forward to seeing it again.

93% on RT, 87 out of 100 on Metacritic.

Mar 24 15 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Philip of Dallas

Dallas, Texas, US

Thanks, I'll check it out. I liked the old Fellini flicks.
If you want a hoot, check out 'Housebound' - a quirky Aussie horror movie.

Mar 24 15 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

I actually have been quite taken with the "hunger games" movies.  to think I thought it was just kids stuff like twilight.
I think they are pretty serious films about a future if given enough time could actually happen.

other than that I binge watched this TV show everyone had been telling me to watch but I just kept putting off.
it was called "breaking bad". its about a science teacher who becomes a meth cook. I totally recommend it.
it was amazing, and had a finale that got it right...in a time of series whose finales were pretty bad...sopranos I'm looking i  your direction.

Mar 24 15 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

kickfight wrote:
I strongly recommend that everyone stop what they are doing right now and stream Force Majeure, available on Netflix. Disclaimer: I LOVE Scandinavian film. LOVE LOVE LOVE. And this amazing Swedish film just adds to the love. We watched it last night and I am already looking forward to seeing it again.

93% on RT, 87 out of 100 on Metacritic.

it was great. when I tell people the premise of the movie.....they are immediately hooked.
my favorite scene       SPOILERS....

was where Mats after dinner when they discussed the incident was trying hilarious to assuage tomases guilt...by suggesting his running away was actually a show of cunning intelligence.. instead of cowardice.... so he would be safe so as to dig his wife and kids out after the fact LOL

Mar 24 15 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Tony From Syracuse wrote:
it was great. when I tell people the premise of the movie.....they are immediately hooked.
my favorite scene       SPOILERS....

was where Mats after dinner when they discussed the incident was trying hilarious to assuage tomases guilt...by suggesting his running away was actually a show of cunning intelligence.. instead of cowardice.... so he would be safe so as to dig his wife and kids out after the fact LOL

borat

Another recent-ish Scandinavian (Sweden/Denmark) film currently streaming on NFLX which I also recommend is LFO. Man, what a wonderfully-messed-up little film.

Mar 24 15 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

kickfight wrote:
borat

Another recent-ish Scandinavian (Sweden/Denmark) film currently streaming on NFLX which I also recommend is LFO. Man, what a wonderfully-messed-up little film.

pfft, i'm still trying to wrap my head around a swedish dude named jose gonzalez. smile jk, love his work. and junip make some very interesting videos, too.

and the sevewnth seal was tedious enough, but once fanny and alexander dropped, i was done with the swedish cinema scene. smile

Mar 24 15 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

GK photo wrote:
pfft, i'm still trying to wrap my head around a swedish dude named jose gonzalez. smile jk, love his work. and junip make some very interesting videos, too.

Great stuff. His cover of Massive Attack's "Teardrop" is killer (even though I miss Liz Fraser's vocals).

GK photo wrote:
and the sevewnth seal was tedious enough, but once fanny and alexander dropped, i was done with the swedish cinema scene. smile

It's definitely not for everyone. big_smile

Mar 24 15 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

GK photo wrote:

kickfight wrote:
Great stuff. His cover of Massive Attack's "Teardrop" is killer (even though I miss Liz Fraser's vocals).

i love this song, and video (very swedish, indeed). smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSaDElz7wSI

and then there is a part 2 video as well, that goes even further.

Mar 24 15 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

GK photo wrote:
i love this song, and video (very swedish, indeed). smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSaDElz7wSI

and then there is a part 2 video as well, that goes even further.

Yup. Totally part of my "road trip" playlists (along with Beta Band and Grizzly Bear and some of Beck's more introspective stuff and such). That "Rope and Summit" EP has a track featuring a variant of the "Motorik" beat which Neu! perfected, and it was much fun to mix them in there as well.

Mar 24 15 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

R Bruce Duncan wrote:
I see binge viewing ahead.

Not a bad way to withdraw from the daily grind for a rejuvenating break.

Kind of like a reclusive vacation alone to clear the brain.

Kind of like what Crocodile Dundee called a Walkabout.

Mar 25 15 10:11 am Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Documentary fans should note that Life Itself has also recently become available for streaming on Netflix. Roger Ebert's final days are intermingled with an autobiographical review of his life and career culled from the book of the same name. An excellent, heartbreaking tribute to not only Roger but also his TV partner Gene Siskel.

Mar 25 15 10:30 am Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

Found this review in the Los Angeles Times this morning:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mo … olumn.html

While We're Young.

I love this director: his work with Greta Gerwig is to-die-for.

Can't wait to see this.

RBD

Mar 27 15 11:30 am Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

Well... it would  seem most of the boys know more about Scandinavian film than I?

It's not an issue.

For those who frequent Netflix, though, I'll be happy to suggest Wallander--Henning Mankell's Wallander--and The Girl Who Played With Fire.

Salander, the protagonist in the latter, is entirely non-conformist, pretty, perhaps beautiful in her own unconventional way, and tougher than any role John Wayne ever played.

It looks like they changed the titles for "The Girl" series.  My memory is that there were three films.

Look.

Netflix is full of really great Scandinavian titles.

But Netflix has a peculiar habit of making their own English language versions of great foreign films.

I haven't wasted my time on any.

Because the originals are so good.

Mar 28 15 11:30 pm Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

Okay.

I was wrong.

It's not the first time.

The trilogy is still up.

But the titles are The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.

This is not for the faint of heart.

Really intense film.

So yes... the Scandinavians make movies.

RBD

Mar 28 15 11:37 pm Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

Spitfire Grill.

I'd seen it before.

Perhaps multiple times.

RBD

Mar 31 15 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

Philip of Dallas

Dallas, Texas, US

Speaking of Scandinavian titles made into English: check out The Killing series. Excellent! Soundtrack is cool too.

Apr 01 15 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

Sorry to have neglected this thread.

Especially in view of the California Drought squabbling that has erupted.

Did I tell you about the time my cattle-ranching cousin sold off the cattle?

No rain.

She was a hard-as-nails Californian.

Anyway, as I wander through Netflix I will typically click on an actor or actress I like, or director.

Last night I watched "Glory."

Director, Edward Zwick.

One could do worse.

I just finished Legends of the Fall.

Montana ranchers.

Unfortunately, you'll have to order the DVDs.

You won't be disappointed.

RBD

Apr 08 15 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

I have not owned a television for decades.

Do you believe they're destined to become some kind of ancient 20th century artifact?

Anyway, I found this series on Netflix: About A Boy.

I was probably doing a Minnie Driver search.

I adore her.

And certainly knew Nick Hornby, who wrote the original book.

The episodes are short--it's television--but laugh-out-loud hilarious.

More than a little relief from our 21st century existential gloom.

RBD

Apr 16 15 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

For a little relief from the idiocy of the Mayhem forums, pull up Bella on Netflix.

It's streaming.

A little ethnic.

But... I'm a Californian.

And my ex-is South American.

A lovely, if ultimately sad film

RBD

Apr 18 15 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

Anyone else watching Yves Saint Laurent on Netflix?

It would seem to be a topic of interest.

Apr 22 15 01:40 am Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

In more current cinema, relegated to 20th Century Brit history, both The Imitation Game and The Theory of Everything were very enjoyable viewing experiences.

Apr 22 15 08:28 am Link

Photographer

Joel Sax

TRABUCO CANYON, California, US

I was pleasantly surprised by the silent film Napoleon by Abel Ganz.  Among its pleasures is the performance of Antonin Artaud who played Marat.

The Francophile in me loved it. But then, I was raised in a family where Napoleon was at least no worse than the people he was fighting.

Apr 22 15 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

A couple of nights ago, "A Time to Kill" from the Grisham novel.

On DVD.

Five stars.

RBD

Apr 24 15 11:36 am Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

Sex, Lies, and Videotape.

Not certain whether I had seen this before.

I expect most everyone has seen it.

So this post may be coals to Newcastle.

Especially interesting, I thought, in view of the fact that I am a photographer.

The two brunette leads kick ass... and take no prisoners.

RBD

May 06 15 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

The Philadelphia Story, 1940.

Hepburn, Stewart, and Grant.

Some writer named Barry worked on this.  Wonder what else he's done?

Seventy five years old this year, and still side-splittingly funny.

I expect they used to call this "Wit".

RBD

May 23 15 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

I expect most appropriately ignore this thread.

It's not an issue. I am old, with tastes developed many years before the models I work with were born.  And I love classics.

Here's a cutting edge contemporary film by a director just out of the gate who has already earned an Academy Award.

"Before I Disappear"

It's dark, contemplative, graphic... and for the most part not pretty.

Contemporary: Drugs, clubs, etc.

Written, directed, produced by Shawn Christensen, and starring...Shawn Christensen.

Auteur, and more.

Is it possible to give a film more than five stars?

RBD

Streaming on Netflix.  Don't miss it.

Can I say this film is sweet?

May 26 15 12:13 am Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

Little did I know.

Co-star: Fátima Ptacek.

Discovered by Wilhelmina.

Ralph Lauren, Benetton, The Gap.

She's a baby.

RBD

May 26 15 12:27 am Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

Having already--at least to my knowledge--cherry picked all the easy great films on Netflix, I ordered an oldie on DVD.

Cabaret.

Directed by Bob Fosse, with an exotic Liza Minelli whose great voice betrays her pedigree, a baby-faced Michael York, and... Marisa Berenson.

I am so old I can remember falling out of my seat when I first saw Berenson.

Of my generation, she's the one whose beauty I remember.  And yes, a no brainer, a model.

The film, mainly inspired by the work of some effete English writer, Christopher Isherwood, who... knew everyone who was anyone in the Oxbridge literary scene.

When I put in the disc, I didn't know... whether I would still like the film.

A musical.

Don't know if the kids will like it.

But check out this haunting scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN7r0Rr1Qyc

To me, scary even now.

RBD

May 28 15 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

Just up on Netflix Streaming:

Hector and the Search for Happiness

Fast paced, both hilarious and touching.

Toni Collette gets female lead billing, but... Rosamund Pike, drop dead gorgeous--can I say cute?--gets my vote.

RBD

Jun 09 15 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

R Bruce Duncan wrote:
Having already--at least to my knowledge--cherry picked all the easy great films on Netflix, I ordered an oldie on DVD.

Cabaret.

Directed by Bob Fosse, with an exotic Liza Minelli whose great voice betrays her pedigree, a baby-faced Michael York, and... Marisa Berenson.

I am so old I can remember falling out of my seat when I first saw Berenson.

Of my generation, she's the one whose beauty I remember.  And yes, a no brainer, a model.

The film, mainly inspired by the work of some effete English writer, Christopher Isherwood, who... knew everyone who was anyone in the Oxbridge literary scene.

When I put in the disc, I didn't know... whether I would still like the film.

A musical.

Don't know if the kids will like it.

But check out this haunting scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN7r0Rr1Qyc

To me, scary even now.

RBD

Cabaret...Made Academy History.  It won 8 Oscars, including Best Directing by Bob Fosse...But Did not Win...Best Picture...The Godfather Won that.

Jun 09 15 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Bobby C

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

"Satantango" Director = Bela Tarr

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/18/S%C3%A1t%C3%A1ntang%C3%B3_dvd_cover.jpg

Not trying to be pretentious here. If you are into cinema, Bela Tarr is an amazing director that I highly recommend.
"Satantango" is his masterpiece. 7 hours long, all in black and white; the director recommends that you watch it all in one sitting.
If 7 hrs of Hungarian bleakness in Black and white sounds daunting, you can start with his other "normal length" films such as :
https://image.tmdb.org/t/p/w500/dOV82ZlI2pFdkbd5jQ1kPtnK7py.jpg
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qEz74ZyRBZk/S8xFzL7ANvI/AAAAAAAAAf8/xQCxb7sDeV0/s1600/werckmeister.jpg
etc

Jun 09 15 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Chicchowmein

Palm Beach, Florida, US

R Bruce Duncan wrote:
Just up on Netflix Streaming:

Hector and the Search for Happiness

Fast paced, both hilarious and touching.

Toni Collette gets female lead billing, but... Rosamund Pike, drop dead gorgeous--can I say cute?--gets my vote.

RBD

I really enjoyed Hector and the Search for Happiness but I also just finished binge watching Halt and Catch Fire -- Really enjoyed that.

Also watched Breaking Bad ( I don't have cable) and I recommend Turn, Walking Dead and I can't say enough good things about Peaky Blinders. The BBC really has some good shows. I just finished Sons of Anarchy and was really disappointed with the ending. I mean really disappointed. So predictable and cliche.

I like foreign films and indies where I don't know what the ending is going to from the opening sequence of the film like most formulaic American films.

Jun 09 15 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Chicchowmein

Palm Beach, Florida, US

R Bruce Duncan wrote:
I expect most appropriately ignore this thread.

It's not an issue. I am old, with tastes developed many years before the models I work with were born.  And I love classics.

Here's a cutting edge contemporary film by a director just out of the gate who has already earned an Academy Award.

"Before I Disappear"

It's dark, contemplative, graphic... and for the most part not pretty.

Contemporary: Drugs, clubs, etc.

Written, directed, produced by Shawn Christensen, and starring...Shawn Christensen.

Auteur, and more.

Is it possible to give a film more than five stars?

RBD

Streaming on Netflix.  Don't miss it.

Can I say this film is sweet?

I saw that one too.

I enjoyed it. Good acting.

Jun 09 15 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

The Unbearable Lightness of Being, hit out of the ballpark by Daniel Day-Lewis and an amazing Juliette Binoche, in a cinematic interpretation of Milan Kundera's landmark novel of the 20th Century.

For those interested in Kundera, here's his wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Milan_Kundera

I'm not taking any credibility risks at all to say that The Unbearable Lightness of Being was one of the best novels of the 20th Century.

One's emotional reaction to the film spans the spectrum of human feeling.

All-in-all, book, acting and direction...  an outstanding example of what can be achieved on film.

RBD

Jun 14 15 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

For fans of Scandinavian flicks:

As It Is In Heaven

starring the inimitable Michael Nyqvist.

Sort of a salt-of-the-earth movie, but, and no apologies,  "Uplifting.".

Don't mistake this for a more recent release.

RBD

Jun 17 15 07:06 pm Link