Forums > Photography Talk > Backup Body

Photographer

Lachance Photography

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

So I am looking to get a second body.  I am currently using a D7000 that I bought factory refurbished a couple years ago for $700.  See that I could get a brand new 7000 on Amazon for $500 or should I buy a refurbished 7100 for $700 or save my money for a new 7200.

Mar 20 15 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

Not sure anyone can really answer that for you.  Do you actually plan to use the second body?  How often?  How critical is it?  How important is the money difference?

Are you really asking more about how much better one camera is over the other?

Mar 20 15 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Lachance Photography

Good questions, just want something in case my current body breaks down or malfunctions and I need to send it in for repair.

Mar 20 15 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Carlo P Mk2

Los Angeles, California, US

I try to aim for 2 of the same bodies. Same button layout + same interface + same design = near seamless transition.

Mar 20 15 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

There are those occasional mornings, when I wish I had another body . . . .

Oh, . . .  you meant cameras . . . . . .

Mar 20 15 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Carlo P Mk2 wrote:
I try to aim for 2 of the same bodies. Same button layout + same interface + same design = near seamless transition.

+1

Mar 20 15 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

Carlo P Mk2 wrote:

Same here, though I'll allow for two bodies that aren't exactly the same but are essentially the same/practically the same, like the D600 and D610 I have now. I actually like that in some ways because otherwise I'd never know which one of them I actually picked up.

Mar 20 15 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

DCS Photography

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Carlo P Mk2 wrote:

for me and my work, this is it.

I have a pair of D3's, and a D800.

the d800 is my studio/landscape/model camera 90% of the time, and the D3 pair is what I use for sports/events/most of my wedding work.

If price worked, i'd in almost every situation take a pair of 2nd gen cameras, over one new and one older. But that suits me and my shooting style. I like to be able to grab either and just go, not worry about the diff in the two.

Mar 20 15 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I carry a pair of Nikon D3's and a Nikon D700. I've had camera bodies break down in the middle of shoots before and I never leave home without at least two bodies these days.

Mar 20 15 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

Carlo P Mk2 wrote:

My main camera is a D-300 with a D-300s as a back-up. I like the idea that I can swithch camera's were the setting and functions are all the same, and in the same location. That's my reasoning.

Mar 20 15 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Lachance Photography wrote:
So I am looking to get a second body.  I am currently using a D7000 that I bought factory refurbished a couple years ago for $700.  See that I could get a brand new 7000 on Amazon for $500 or should I buy a refurbished 7100 for $700 or save my money for a new 7200.

This..

I heart my D7000 but it can't compete with the D7200 so I'm getting one Monday.

Mar 20 15 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

DCS Photography

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Images by MR wrote:

This..

I heart my D7000 but it can't compete with the D7200 so I'm getting one Monday.

I think this is an important point to look at, along with what you shoot.

for events/sports/whatever where you need to be able to shoot quickly. this could be a disaster (i actually dont know the diff in the layout of the two, so this is theoretical).
But having shot the D3s, D4, D4s, i'd rather have a pair of D3's, than any of the other three with another camera. In other words, two D3's would beat a D3s and D4s for me, simply because some key buttons have moved. sure, the newer cameras can do things mine cant, but missing the AF button because they moved it during a key moment is not ok.

This is not to say going one new, one older is a bad idea, but rather, look at how you shoot, what you need, and then decide if the upgrade in body is worth it vs having the same layout.

Mar 20 15 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Which ever will do the job for you is what you pick.

Mar 20 15 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographic Aspirations

Long Beach, California, US

If your making house payments , car payments, credit card payments ... making a living being a photographer and a chance exist that with a gear failure you might not finish a project to the satisfaction of a client ... then even $ 1000 is nothing.

But if your making $ 200 on 2 weekends a month if lucky .... then every cent put into gear, that sits in a bag as a back up hurts your bank account. 

Or if you call yourself a photographer, yet living off of Top Ramen / Mac and Cheese ...Time to see if Jack in the Box is hiring !

Mar 20 15 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

I used to have a D200 and a D70 as back up. Got a D7100 and later a D610. I like having both a DX body for use in tight places with my 17-55 and the FX body for beauty work with my 135.

Everyone's situation is different, get what you will use most.

Mar 21 15 05:52 am Link

Photographer

Lachance Photography

Thanks for all the advice understand it is important to have similar bodies to make workflow easier but I don't think there would be a huge difference between the 7000, 7100 and 7200.

Mar 21 15 09:29 am Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

If you're happy with the results from your D7000 the cheapest option would be to get another.  You would save money and you're already familiar with the camera.  However, if you think theD7200 will give you more of what you want then go for the D7200 and use your current camera as the backup.

Mar 21 15 09:37 am Link

Photographer

Kool Koncepts

Saint Louis, Michigan, US

...but I don't think there would be a huge difference between the 7000, 7100 and 7200.

Don't trust your thoughts, find out before you commit to one!

Mar 21 15 09:38 am Link

Photographer

L O C U T U S

Bangor, Maine, US

I don't think there would be a huge difference between the 7000, 7100 and 7200.

Then why pay more money for what you say would be a little difference?
get another d7000 smile

Mar 21 15 09:38 am Link

Photographer

Lachance Photography

I am happy with the D7000, however just wondering if I would get better results from the new camera or should I just invest in better glass.

Mar 21 15 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

Carlo P Mk2 wrote:

What he said.

Mar 21 15 10:35 am Link

Photographer

mphunt

Hudson, Florida, US

I am happy with the D7000, however just wondering if I would get better results from the new camera or should I just invest in better glass.

What is lacking in your images quality?  What feature in a new body would improve the quality?  If you don't have a definite answer, then look to the other answer................better glass.

IMHO

-mp

Mar 21 15 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Are you sure you really NEED a backup body?

Here's why I ask.
If you aren't doing weddings, and you aren't doing mission critical shoots, then if something were to happen to your D7000, you just have to reschedule shoots, and you're out a camera for a few weeks.
I'm going to assume that this is the case, since you don't specifically say you shoot weddings or events.

So, instead of thinking about your next purchase being a backup body, think of it as getting the next camera that will do things that your current can't, and you'd like to have.  Then, your D7000 becomes your backup.

The major questions you will  need to ask yourself is if you're interested in going to full frame, because there's not too much farther you can go than the D7000.  Surely, the DX format is going to be around for several more years, and Nikon will continue to filter pro features into consumer level cameras as time goes on.

So, do you need a "backup" camera body now?  Do you want features found in the D7200 that you don't have in your D7000?  Do you have a few good prime lenses to even know if the limitations are with your body, your lenses or your eye?  What would you like to accomplish that you feel isn't possible with your current equipment?

You see, I don't think this should be a question of should you get another D7000 or a D7200.  There's other important questions to consider.

Mar 22 15 02:42 am Link

Photographer

L O C U T U S

Bangor, Maine, US

what current glass do you use?

Mar 22 15 09:10 am Link

Photographer

Lachance Photography

Locutus, I have a 24-70 2.8 and a 50mm 1.8, and Good Egg your right I don't shoot weddings or events, occassionally do sports so fps is important.  My main focus is beach glamour photography therefore the most important aspects of a body for me are that it be metal and weather sealed against dust and moisture, it must also have an internal focus motor so I am not limited by the lenses I choose.  Lastly,  I don't shoot raw so buffer size is not important, based on this info perhaps the folks on here can tell me which of the 7000 series bodies would best meet my needs.

Mar 22 15 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Locutus, I have a 24-70 2.8 and a 50mm 1.8, and Good Egg your right I don't shoot weddings or events, occassionally do sports so fps is important.  My main focus is beach glamour photography therefore the most important aspects of a body for me are that it be metal and weather sealed against dust and moisture, it must also have an internal focus motor so I am not limited by the lenses I choose.  Lastly,  I don't shoot raw so buffer size is not important, based on this info perhaps the folks on here can tell me which of the 7000 series bodies would best meet my needs.

If you're shooting sports and buffer size is important then either the D7000 or D7200 .... the D7100 buffer is tiny & maybe get 8 jpeg shots before is filled.  The D7200 is 100 jpegs.

Mar 22 15 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

You might want to look at jumping into a D610 or waiting another year to see if Nikon offers a new entry level full frame body.  Your lenses are fine and FX, so you're not locked in by your glass.  Or even a used D700. 

Also, if you're primarily beach glamour, you may want to look at a much longer lens.  Either the 70-200 f/4 or the 80-400.  They're both priced at around what you would spend on a new (or used) body.

You have lots of options all in a similar price range.

Mar 23 15 02:20 am Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Good Egg Productions wrote:

You might want to look at jumping into a D610 or waiting another year to see if Nikon offers a new entry level full frame body.  Your lenses are fine and FX, so you're not locked in by your glass.  Or even a used D700. 

Also, if you're primarily beach glamour, you may want to look at a much longer lens.  Either the 70-200 f/4 or the 80-400.  They're both priced at around what you would spend on a new (or used) body.

You have lots of options all in a similar price range.

Why do people keep pushing full frame when the OP is asking about crop bodies.    And exactly what is the D610 gonna do that the D7000 / D7200 can't?

Mar 23 15 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

Lachance Photography

Good point, I see no need to go to a full frame body as I really do not think it will make a great difference in my images and I am considering some longer glass looking at the 70-300 vr at the moment.

Mar 23 15 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

nm

Mar 23 15 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Images by MR wrote:
Why do people keep pushing full frame when the OP is asking about crop bodies.    And exactly what is the D610 gonna do that the D7000 / D7200 can't?

For one, options.

For two, the lenses he owns/uses are already FX, so an FX body should be in play.

If all he had were DX lenses I would NOT have made that suggestion.

Also. It's about a $300 price difference between a D7200 and D610, so if it were a price concern, it's only about 25% more.

And as far as what will a full frame do that the DX won't? It will make his fast lenses behave properly wide open.  The shallow DOF will be shallower. The backgrounds of his bikini glamour will melt away that much more creamy.  It will also be a bit better at higher ISO settings, not that it will help much at the beach.

So that's why I suggested OPTIONS for him to consider.  He is free to reject or ignore my suggestions just as anyone else is.

Mar 23 15 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Lachance Photography

Point taken was not aware of the difference ff would make in depth of field.

Mar 26 15 05:40 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Point taken was not aware of the difference ff would make in depth of field.

With most things about photography, the difference is less a real difference and more a perceived difference.  If you do some research, you'll see what I mean.  The fact that you have to get closer to your subject with the same lens means there is a difference in the depth of field.  If you take the exact same photo with both cameras at the exact same settings, and then crop the full frame to the crop frame size, I suspect the difference is not noticeable.

i just prefer options.  You never know what job is going to come your way.  I've accumulated tons of gear over the last decade that I very rarely ever use.  But I'm prepared for just about anything.  Camera bodies are just gear.  Knowing how and more importantly, when to use it, is a totally different story.

Mar 26 15 09:16 am Link

Photographer

Monash P Imaging

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I used to use Nikon D800 and D700. Now I use Fujifilm X-T1 and Fujifilm X-T1.

Mar 26 15 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

afplcc

Fairfax, Virginia, US

Depends upon how you intend to use said "second body."  If you're carrying both bodies (say....a wedding or sporting event) than you probably want two that are either identical OR have similar operational setup (so you don't have to "think" and mental adjust as you switch from one body to another).  In that case, I'd get another D7000.  Crop body, similar controls, you'd just have a different lens or filters on one vs. the other.

If you're NOT going to be carrying two bodies at the same time but instead are looking for backup, that I wouldn't get the D7000.  No criticism of that body (I have two D7000 bodies b/c I sometimes need two bodies at the same time).  But if it's just to make sure you always have a camera, than I'd look for something that either isn't a crop body or is better in some element than the D7000 (maybe it has better weatherproofing or is better lowlight or better at high speed shooting or is a bit smaller for when you are doing street photography and a smaller body is less obtrusive).  In which case, you would choose which body to use based upon the unique setting you were working in.  Oh, you might have a primary body you usually go with but you'd mix and match based on your location and creative concept.

--Ed

Mar 27 15 07:18 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

afplcc wrote:
Depends upon how you intend to use said "second body."

Agreed. For me, I have a D800 and D700. One body has a 24-70 on it and the other a 70-200. I shoot events so changing lenses constantly is a pain so it's easier to walk around with two bodies all the time and considering that very few of my clients really need anything more than 12MP, they work great together and I certainly don't feel the need to upgrade the D700 at all as it's such an awesome camera but it's also nice to have the high MP of the D800 for commercial shoots I get booked for from time to time.

Everyone's needs are different. For me, this configuration works great.

Mar 27 15 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Lachance Photography

Good Egg, after considering what you said and doing some more research, I am now seriously leaning towards the 610.  It usually retails for around $1500, (body only), however, at most online retailers (Adorama, BH, Amazon) if you bundle it with a Nikon 70-300 vr which normally retails for approximately $600, you can get the kit for $1800, a savings of $300.  Although, I wonder if I would be better served by keeping my current body and getting a 70-200 vr which normally retails for $2400. Again my current kit consists of a d7000, 24-70 2.8 and 50mm 1.8g.

Mar 30 15 11:30 am Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

My strategy was to upgrade, move the current body to be the backup, and sell the current backup.   My one real concern is that they are "compatible" - i.e. same type of card, same batteries, lenses, etc - I should be able to swap everything off/out of my main body and immediately use my backup. 

That being said, I have been out of the game for a while, and still have a 7 year old body.  The backup (10-year old body?) is now malfunctioning, and isn't worth enough to repair.  I found the same model as my main body for a bargain price on CL and bought it - so I now have two identical bodies.  I suppose the only advantage to having them be identical bodies is that you know you'll have the same resolution, quality, and features and won't be as bothered by any deficiencies in your backup if you have to use it.    I haven't had to resort to using the backup yet, but having a lesser model would have bugged me.

Mar 30 15 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
There are those occasional mornings, when I wish I had another body . . . .

Oh, . . .  you meant cameras . . . . . .

+1

Sometimes I wake up grumpy... sometimes I let her sleep in... smile

Mar 30 15 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Vision Images by Jake

Stockton, California, US

Carlo P Mk2 wrote:

Yep! That is my vote as well!

Mar 30 15 07:36 pm Link