Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Photoshop community on MM

Digital Artist

Joe Diamond

Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania

Hey guys, is it me or people just lost interest in photoshop artists. I have the feeling that what caused that is the new face of this site along with all the removed photshop activities. I could be wrong but this is how i see it. What do you think?

Mar 22 15 08:25 am Link

Retoucher

Adriano De Sena

London, England, United Kingdom

Joe Diamond wrote:
Hey guys, is it me or people just lost interest in photoshop artists. I have the feeling that what caused that is the new face of this site along with all the removed photshop activities. I could be wrong but this is how i see it. What do you think?

It's still the same. lol smile

Mar 22 15 11:05 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

A lot of it seems to be that top professionals are simply abandoning MM. Both retouchers and photographers.

Mar 22 15 11:23 am Link

Retoucher

NorCal Retoucher

San Francisco, California, US

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:
A lot of it seems to be that top professionals are simply abandoning MM. Both retouchers and photographers.

Yep.... people come and go. I come back here on a basic acct just to see whats going on. Have a good client base now for paid work.

Cheers!

Mar 23 15 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

Sean C

Frisco, Texas, US

I rarely get on here anymore, just because the quality of profiles has gone down significantly. Anyone who takes a bunch of selfies can get on this site and claim to be a model. Same goes for the other artists.

Mar 23 15 04:11 pm Link

Digital Artist

Joe Diamond

Sean C wrote:
I rarely get on here anymore, just because the quality of profiles has gone down significantly. Anyone who takes a bunch of selfies can get on this site and claim to be a model. Same goes for the other artists.

This is exactly my feeling also

Mar 24 15 12:03 am Link

Retoucher

NorCal Retoucher

San Francisco, California, US

Joe Diamond wrote:

This is exactly my feeling also

+1

Mar 24 15 06:31 am Link

Retoucher

Ledo retouch

Lodi, California, US

Joe Diamond wrote:

I hope this topic gains a little more traction.

Some of what I see is newbs in the retouch forum don't ask the right questions to have a learning discussion,
or a spirited debate. It's turned into a forum of how do I get this look, when the answer is often that the PS
techniques might be basic and only a small part of what makes it appealing image. One snarky reply of why
do you even like that photo later and the thread is derailed and nothing is learned except that some
retouchers don't like the photo. 

I really miss some of the veterans in the forums that would share knowledge and encourage others.

Mar 24 15 01:15 pm Link

Retoucher

pixel dimension ilusion

Brussels, Brussels, Belgium

stop your critics cause if you have make some money or ppl know that you exist is because of MODEL MAYHEM like we say others go others come so you aint missing if you leave is an shame anyway sharing with ppl that has 2 faces

Mar 24 15 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

JoshuaBerardi

Davenport, Iowa, US

I've been on MM since 2005 and still barely post on here. I find tid-bits of helpful information in between the overwhelmingly harsh commenting that goes on. Just not my style of communicating.

Mar 25 15 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

365 Digitals Exposed

Perris, California, US

I  Left because of people like you,   You don't  let other grow and use this forum to promote your work, 
On the other hand  you lost me a  a customer Because of your big ego, and terrible customer service,
the only person I really miss here is PEANO.

Mar 25 15 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

365 Digitals Exposed wrote:
the only person I really miss here is PEANO.

Here's an interview with him smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLODWQfgsIY

Mar 25 15 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

365 Digitals Exposed

Perris, California, US

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:

Here's an interview with him smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLODWQfgsIY

Watching it right now LOL Thanks so much

Mar 25 15 10:01 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

It was the likes of Peano who sank this forum and made everybody leave.
He never understood the 'art' part of using photoshop. Those who followed him miss him because they couldnt get any better, just figured out how to get some looks or some tricks which didnt help them at all.

Just because you know how one makes an image doesnt mean you can do it. you need to train your eye too.

The eyecandy has gone for good.

So now, people are asking the wrong questions.

There is nobody around to point the right direction. And the ones with the wrong answers are not helping because they cant even help themselves.

They all suffer together big_smile

and I enjoy watching evilgrin

...remembering the good old days of free information, beautiful portfolios.

Mar 26 15 01:32 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

I'm not sure about the photoshop artists but retouchers such as high end have a huge community on FB.

Mar 26 15 02:00 am Link

Photographer

Classic Image

Connersville, Indiana, US

Well I'm new here and was basically told to go elsewhere for any help in improving my retouching skills. from the get go.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/942335

I may be a newbie to this place, but I've been doing Photoshop for about 20 years.
What I got was all like...'" go look at tuts" and "how is this going to help you?"
We'll I had my reasons and when a couple of nice people came along and showed me how their results looked, it was very helpful.
Tuts teach you one thing and next time you need that one thing, you've forgotten how it worked and then back to searching for it again.
So these nice people critiqued my work in a useful sort of way and sent me in search of several things that have been very useful.
Every tut is trying to sell you something and only the pros know what's good and what's just hyped.
So now I'm kinda gun shy about posting any questions because it seems so many on here don't really want to help but rather horde any useful knowledge they may have. I don't want to keep bothering those who have already helped me and it would be nice if others were as forthcoming and friendly.
I spent years competing on Photoshop Contest .com. That place has went to hell in a basket and for the same reasons this place will.
Little cliques of people who don't share, don't encourage and would rather feel all smug and superior to everyone else, ESPECIALLY the new kid.
But thankfully not everyone here is like that, so I'll just keep weeding them out because I have very thick skin and blow off those who think they are any more important than me. Talented... maybe, surely. But no better for damn sure.
Thanks again to those who helped. You know who you are... and who you aren't.
I do hope MM grows it can without the uppity crap.
On another note, there was a very beautiful girl who lives near me and had all the looks for modeling. One day her portfolio disappeared. her name was Ianmichelle. She had some friends on here pretty quickly. Maybe if someone knows how to contact her she may have some insight as to this place. Hell maybe it was too many nearby photographers creeping her out. But I was sorry to see her go because she had a great look.
Peace to you all,

Mar 26 15 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Classic Image  wrote:
I do hope MM grows it can without the uppity crap.
Peace to you all,

A lot of people are burnt out on answering the same questions over and over again. That's not the fault of the newcomers, but it's not the fault of the experts either.

Mods have basically said "if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all." There is nothing wrong with that advice, but it does tend to make the burnt out people quietly leave, or maybe lurk at most.

What usually irritates me is someone asks a question about how to do something, and I say, "show me your beginnings and we'll talk about what you should do next." Usually they ignore that because they have no beginning efforts. They just want to be entertained.

Sometimes I or someone else will give good advice on how to proceed without actually doing the person's work for them, because it's better for the person to work through the problem with advice than to have the work simply done for him. Usually what happens next is one of the experts who used to be here will hand them a finished example, and the newcomer will ignore all the good advice they got and jump up and down and go 'squee' over the finished product because, again, their main goal is to be entertained by feats of retouching skill.

So the best hope for this forum is for new experts to take an interest.

My $0.02

Mar 26 15 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

Classic Image

Well, I see where your coming from. Somebody who has very little experience in PS trying to learn everything in a day by picking a persons brains to death. That would get old quick.
I think a lot of it has to do with the word "newbie".  Words imply meaning and I think a better term, such as, new member or something would be far better. Newbie just naturally implies neophyte, inexperienced and a host of other not so glamorous ideas.
I knew what I needed to see and asked for it. 
But there are very many people who could come on here and be a newbie that could teach anybody on here something new about PS. I don't claim that title, but it's true.
Another thing is... that just because someone has put themselves on here as a photographer doesn't mean they don't do their own PP. I assume one cannot be listed as both on MM. I can just imagine the sighs when a new photographer shows up on the retouching forum.
People assume a lot. Maybe a little less assumption and a short but useful answer could go a long way to not offending every new comer who shows up. Most new comers don't want to lay all their cards on the table when they join a new group. Giving them the benefit of the doubt would be the way to go. If they need to go back to PS 101 then it will become obvious soon enough and they can politely be told that then.

Mar 26 15 07:58 pm Link

Digital Artist

Joe Diamond

Photoshop community doesnt mean only helping beginners or new comers. I learned photoshop by myself, never asked anyone, i am very sure that everyone can do that instead of crying that none is helping. There are so many tutorials just a google away who can explain so much better than someone in a forum post or even a message.

Photoshop community means photoshop activities who were removed, means professional artists/photographers who get inspired from each other, who left and even real appreciation from a professional view who isnt there anymore.

Mar 26 15 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

Classic Image

Joe Diamond wrote:
Photoshop community doesn't mean only helping beginners or new comers. I learned photoshop by myself, never asked anyone, i am very sure that everyone can do that instead of crying that none is helping. There are so many tutorials just a google away who can explain so much better than someone in a forum post or even a message

Well, first of all, nobody's crying. Second of all, having been a professional dog trainer and one of the best for that matter, I can assure you that six months of watching tutorials will not get your dog trained as fast as one week talking to me. So your flat dead wrong there.
And I also taught myself Photoshop, and though I may not be the best, I am certainly proficient with it. I have just always had trouble with faces. After a few suggestions and some leads on some tools... I got just what I came here for in about twenty four hours instead of the ten days of tut searches where I still may not have fond it. My time is valuable.
Lastly your entire post wreaks of the fact you just simply don't have the time for anyone but yourself and your little clique of like minded "professional" companions who I'm sure worship at your feet.
Peace to you.

Mar 28 15 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

WIP wrote:
I'm not sure about the photoshop artists but retouchers such as high end have a huge community on FB.

Would appreciate some good fashion retouching FB groups - if you don't want to post them here for the masses, could you PM me please?

Mar 28 15 12:22 pm Link

Digital Artist

Joe Diamond

Classic Image  wrote:

Well, first of all, nobody's crying. Second of all, having been a professional dog trainer and one of the best for that matter, I can assure you that six months of watching tutorials will not get your dog trained as fast as one week talking to me. So your flat dead wrong there.
And I also taught myself Photoshop, and though I may not be the best, I am certainly proficient with it. I have just always had trouble with faces. After a few suggestions and some leads on some tools... I got just what I came here for in about twenty four hours instead of the ten days of tut searches where I still may not have fond it. My time is valuable.
Lastly your entire post wreaks of the fact you just simply don't have the time for anyone but yourself and your little clique of like minded "professional" companions who I'm sure worship at your feet.
Peace to you.

It wasnt about you was about the guy from above who only offend and cry all the time smile

Mar 28 15 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

Tytaniafairy

Evansville, Indiana, US

I never asked questions and was smart enough to search for my answer if I ever had any . I would love to see more of a Photoshop or digital art community yeah but as someone said all the good ones have left for obvious reasons . and being a photographer and digital artist at this point for 30 years I do not need any questions but more just sharing of our work and seeing others for inspiration as well and it being pleasing to see others work ...

Apr 05 15 04:54 pm Link

Retoucher

Lightweavers

Macclesfield, England, United Kingdom

There are plenty of Photoshop and digital art communities out there but many are closed fb groups and websites now. MM is a one stop shop for everyone handy for networking with other creatives  not necessarily in your own field.

Apr 07 15 10:45 am Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

I think another reason is that most people who come to this forum think they are one of the few who are any good and that pretty much everyone else sucks. And that has an effect in the forums.

Apr 08 15 01:59 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

I will remain to be the best...cause peano is gone evilgrin

not so funny thing is that the 3d world is quite the same tongue

Apr 08 15 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Koray wrote:
I will remain to be the best...cause peano is gone evilgrin

not so funny thing is that the 3d world is quite the same tongue

I think you and I are the only good ones left around here, and I'm not sure about me.

big_smile

Apr 08 15 05:37 pm Link