Forums > Model Colloquy > Cash or outfit

Photographer

MCmodeling

Sonora, California, US

Experienced models how do you value outfits as payment for a photo shoot? I'm looking at doing a pirate photo shoot and really want an experienced model. Since I'm not working with a big budget and the main outfit will be purchased to fit a specific model. I was thinking as giving the model the outfit as most of the payment. Here is one of the outfits that I'm considering
http://www.amazon.com/Starline-Pearl-Pi … amp;sr=8-4
  Would love feed back from experienced models on this.

Mar 24 15 03:28 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm mostly a nude model. I really couldn't care less about clothes. Unless it's like, useful stuff, then just give me the cash.

Mar 24 15 07:00 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

+1.

I can rent a pirate's outfit if I should ever need it again but the car payment is so much more exciting.

Mar 25 15 07:30 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Amadea T wrote:
+1.

I can rent a pirate's outfit if I should ever need it again but the car payment is so much more exciting.

I bought a van in December.  I'm going to have exciting times with it.   smile

Mar 25 15 07:40 am Link

Model

Victoria Elle

New York, New York, US

An "outfit" like this would have no value to me.  It's a cheap Halloween costume.  I would never wear it again, and would not be able to resell it.

I accept clothing/lingerie/swimwear as partial or even full payment if I am able to pick it out, and send a link to the photographer to order it in my size.

In your situation I would ask for full payment and suggest you rent and return the costume.

Mar 25 15 07:41 am Link

Model

Sabryna S

Doylestown, Pennsylvania, US

I mean, it's sort of a neat outfit, but I don't think I could accept that as most of my payment if I were the model in your situation. One reason being that it's a costume and I don't think I would wear it for more than a couple shoots at most...
I state in my profile that I accept some wardrobe as compensation, but unless the photographer buys a significant amount of stuff off my Amazon wishlist, I couldn't accept that as most of the payment, but partial payment.

Actual cash is pretty much always preferred.

Mar 25 15 06:56 pm Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

As the other models who have responded have pointed out... this particular outfit wouldn't be of any benefit for me to keep. However, there are certain other things that I would be willing to trade for such as well made corsets, fine lingerie, more versatile dresses, shoes, etc. It really would depend on the piece of clothing, but generally cheap lingerie or Halloween costumes probably won't work as a wardrobe trade for most models.

I do have a suggestion for you though. Instead of buying that costume, you might be able to put together something similar that could be later taken apart and the pieces re-used either by the model if you trade, or for your shoots. You could get a very similar look with a black corset, a white button up shirt, and one of those inexpensive petticoats, possibly with a skirt over top or just find a white skirt or dress. Your model might even have a white peasant dress that you could add the black corset to. You can find costume-y corset similar to that one on Amazon. They won't be tight-lacing corsets, but they'll probably be at least as nice as the one that comes with that outfit. I just typed in "pirate corset" on Amazon and got a ton of options and a lot of them are under $25.

Mar 26 15 11:15 am Link

Model

KatrinaWhite

San Mateo, California, US

I think those who have responded before me have hit the nail on the head. Generally when I am accepting wardrobe as payment for a shoot it is going to be more unique, one-of-a-kind or custom items by local designers or I also accept as Victoria does:

Victoria Elle wrote:
clothing/lingerie/swimwear as partial or even full payment if I am able to pick it out, and send a link to the photographer to order it in my size.

Cash and unique/custom designs are always preferred for me smile

Mar 26 15 04:25 pm Link

Model

Amber West

Dumfries, Scotland, United Kingdom

Sorry, wouldn't be interested in an outfit like the one shown.  It has no use to me - been modelling for seven years, and have yet to be asked by any hopeful photographers if I 'have a pirate costume' and certainly not going to wear in my personal life (!).
Maybe something with quality that is versatile.  Not a costume or gimmick item.
But best of all, money, which can be used to pay rent/mortgage/food/gas/my own clothes..

Mar 26 15 04:32 pm Link

Model

Payton Hailey

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Ive accepted clothing as payment several times on shoots.

However, it has been things like VS lingerie, dresses, etc. To me, like many a pirate outfit would not be of use. I only shoot in outfits once, so I couldnt even use it for another shoot.

Mar 26 15 04:41 pm Link

Model

Jpod_model

Arlington, Virginia, US

Jerry Seinfeld's "But I DON'T WANNA BE A PIRATE!" is going through my mind.
Cash is a proper payment. If it was near Halloween and the model liked the outfit, I suppose you could offer, but be prepared to graciously pay cash as usual. If she actually accepts your offer, treat it like a lucky exception to the rule.

Mar 26 15 07:22 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I rarely modeled in clothing, so clothing was not generally of interest to me.

I have accepted a few random items/services, here and there, as compensation for shoots. Including: dental work, car repairs, lodging/hosting while traveling, meals while traveling, a haircut.

I was traded a pair of boots for shooting once, but they were shoes I would have not been able to afford on my own, purchased specifically for that shoot, for my feet, and were very versatile. I wore them for many other shoots after that, got good use out of them, then resold them a couple of years later for close to the original value.

Mar 26 15 08:01 pm Link

Model

Rose Valentina

Durham, England, United Kingdom

It would depend on the outfit being offered, this pirate costume would be of no use to me except for fancy dress. I would only accept cash payment in this case.

Mar 29 15 04:34 am Link

Photographer

Park Avenue Pin-ups

Waverly, New York, US

Buy it, use it for the shoot then sell it here or on fleabay.

Mar 29 15 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

I might tell an experienced model to keep the outfit after a shoot but I would not insult her by offering it as "payment".

Mar 29 15 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

P I X I E wrote:
I'm mostly a nude model. I really couldn't care less about clothes. Unless it's like, useful stuff, then just give me the cash.

You would turn down and original Dior?

wink

Mar 31 15 09:14 am Link

Photographer

EdgarPaul

Cerritos, California, US

I've traded my clothes or costumes for a model's time. However, I spend many hours designing, pattern drafting, cutting, fitting, and sewing. They are one of a kind items that can't be purchased anywhere.  Put yourself in the models shoes and truly think if what you are giving her seems like adequate payment.

Mar 31 15 10:09 am Link

Model

Axioma

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

cash, always

Mar 31 15 10:38 am Link

Makeup Artist

Raychie Loves Makeup

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

When I was modeling full-time, the ONLY times I accepted clothing in lieu of monetary compensation was when it was something that would actually be useful to me. A pirate costume, no matter how cool it was, could never be that. I've accepted (reasonably wearable) designer pieces, lingerie, and swimwear as payment, but honestly, models need to buy groceries and pay bills, too. wink

(Just for reference, since I'm on my MUA account: https://www.modelmayhem.com/719735 )

Apr 05 15 03:59 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Herman Surkis wrote:

You would turn down and original Dior?

wink

I've never shot fashion and probably never will. I'm 5'0, so that's incredibly unlikely. And I have tattoos. I don't own any designer clothes, pretty sure they don't make them to fit me anyway. Maybe a nice dress? But then I'd probably never wear it for fear of ruining it.

For shoes though, that's another story. Nice heels and boots are nice to have.

But the costume in the OP? Ugh, no.

Apr 05 15 08:30 pm Link

Model

LauraLuna

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

I accept outfit as payment if I can use the outfit for my personal wardobe, i.e. a new pair of shoes when I need one. I may also consider make-up as payment (right now I need more make-up, since I'm running out of it, lol). But I would not accept a pirate fancy dress as payment because I'd not use it in my personal wardrobe and I already have a pirate fancy dress.

Apr 06 15 05:43 am Link

Model

Lauren Sweeney-Fenton

London, England, United Kingdom

MCPHOTO wrote:
Experienced models how do you value outfits as payment for a photo shoot? I'm looking at doing a pirate photo shoot and really want an experienced model. Since I'm not working with a big budget and the main outfit will be purchased to fit a specific model. I was thinking as giving the model the outfit as most of the payment. Here is one of the outfits that I'm considering
http://www.amazon.com/Starline-Pearl-Pi … amp;sr=8-4
  Would love feed back from experienced models on this.

Even if you aren't working with a big budget I think payment will attract an experienced model. I've done both low paid work (because I liked the concept, photographer etc.) as well as high paid work.

I don't think offering a pirate outfit (unless it was a big designer label.. even then I personally don't care because I can't eat designer labels lol) will attract the person you're looking for!

Apr 09 15 03:57 am Link

Photographer

Mark C Smith

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I know some models who would or have taken compensation in the form of the clothing or lingerie they shot in...but a pirate costume?

Apr 10 15 02:48 pm Link

Model

Shilo Von Porcelaine

Los Angeles, California, US

Eh, well depends on the model entirely.

I have accepted clothing as payment, or a combination of clothing and cash. But honestly, a pirate's costume is not practical and something like that can't really be worn again for another photoshoot (shooting the same outfit twice...)

I'd give the option for either but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say 90% of models would choose cash.

Apr 10 15 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

I am not a model.  But I do know that outfit can't buy food, but cash can.  A used outfit or old cloth, it is 5 cents on the dollar.  It is not brainer.  But if you are cute, you may able to charm her working for you for free.

Apr 10 15 04:35 pm Link