Forums > General Industry > Managers vs Agents - Los Angeles

Model

Rhian Paige

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Hi All,

I've been debating this with myself for too long and need to debate it out loud - I am wondering if a manager can do more for me than my agent, also cut my workload & keep me employed.
I always seem to get referrals to agents, but never managers.
Does anyone have any good experiences with managers in LA, or can suggest the best narrowed-down online database to find them??
There's a good chance I only have so long left in the USA, and I would really like to know I am making the most of it!!

X
RP

Mar 25 15 01:57 am Link

Photographer

RINALDI

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

I think it's better to know the difference between the two and how each of them add value. To my understanding, an agent is the one connecting you to potential clients, and therefore influential in your career. He/she is mostly facing outwards. A manager is mostly facing inwards, assisting you with schedules, appointments, transportation, your finances, etc.

I would say, an agent makes your life better (you want more/certain projects), a manager makes your life easier (you don't want to have the hassle).

Mar 25 15 02:54 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

An agent gets a share of your revenues - if he/she generates revenues for you.
A manager is paid for sitting in the office regardless of whether you earn money or not.

So in the best case the agent acquires revenues you would not make without the agent. In the worst case he generates no revenues at all - and costs... nothing.

To benefit from your manager he have to generate an added value that is at least equal to his salary (which is paid by you...). Simple business mathematics...

Example: you are acquiring jobs, organizing your work and doing paperwork etc. 20 hours a week. In that time you cannot stand in front of a camera. In that time you cannot sit in your car or in an airplane on the way to a job.

So you hire a capable person to get that stuff done. He/she gets $2000 per month. No - correction... He/she costs you $2000 per month gross. Can you earn (net!) $2000 in that time? Or even more? Then it's a win-win situation. Otherwise you are working for that guy/girl.

Now do this calculation with your very personal figures... (A look at your portfolio and website at least implies that you may be successful in your business.) And consider some side effects. Getting your head free of certain stuff that bothers you may improve your performance as model. Maybe a manager will do your paperwork etc. in half the time but with double quality.

And ask yourself: do you think you are capable to pick out the capable manager from the pool of wannabies "model managers"?

By the way: a good agent should do a lot of that work you expect a manager to do and for the rest you can hire a tax consultant...

Mar 25 15 03:18 am Link

Photographer

Philipe

Pomona, California, US

Rhian Paige wrote:
Hi All,

I've been debating this with myself for too long and need to debate it out loud - I am wondering if a manager can do more for me than my agent, also cut my workload & keep me employed.
I always seem to get referrals to agents, but never managers.
Does anyone have any good experiences with managers in LA, or can suggest the best narrowed-down online database to find them??
There's a good chance I only have so long left in the USA, and I would really like to know I am making the most of it!!

X
RP

You need a better agent...
A manager is different...

An agent gets paid when they find you work..
A manager gets paid no matter what. Does not matter if your working or not, they still get paid..

Managing careers is different than an agent...

Mar 27 15 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Jean Renard Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Managers and agents are not supposed to be the same, yet sadly they are quite similar these days since  In Los Angeles, many people have managers as insurance against  their lousy agents.

Under California law, (which is the subject of legal appeal but stands so far), only agents can book jobs, not managers.

Agents are licensed, managers are not in CA. Unless you are making a lot of money already as a model, or have a career in music or something else, a manager is not needed.  IF your manager claims to be able to get you jobs, he is violating CA law and opening himself/herself to all sorts of trouble.

Mar 27 15 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Ask yourself this . . . . "Am I making enough money now to attract a legitimate manager or agent ?"

If not, why would anyone want to invest their time into representing you ?

HB

Mar 27 15 12:02 pm Link