Forums > General Industry > Give me your opinion

Model

Jonathan Redd

Floral Park, New York, US

Any advice on what to do when a photographer is taking so long to edit your pictures?

Mar 30 15 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

wait 20 minutes.  Rinse.  Lather. Repeat.

Mar 30 15 02:25 pm Link

Model

Layla_B

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

How long do you think is 'so long'?
If it's taking months, without letting you know anything, perhaps that a busy schedule is delaying the editing.
Then maybe it's time to politely send a 'nudge' saying that you're "curious about the results, but haven't received anything yet, or that you've maybe missed an email?"

Mar 30 15 03:28 pm Link

Model

Jonathan Redd

Layla_B wrote:
How long do you think is 'so long'?
If it's taking months, without letting you know anything, perhaps that a busy schedule is delaying the editing.
Then maybe it's time to politely send a 'nudge' saying that you're "curious about the results, but haven't received anything yet, or that you've maybe missed an email?"

It's been about 3 weeks maybe now

Mar 30 15 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Cap Hayes

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Were they paid for? Did you have any agreement about time frame?  Unless there's a specified time frame ahead of time, I put up to 30 days for TF photos in my release.  Sometimes it only takes a couple days, sometimes it takes the whole month.  If you don't have a baseline on what is "late", then I think you need to give it at least another week.

Mar 30 15 04:06 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Jonathan Jones-Roberson wrote:

Try 6 months.

Mar 30 15 04:14 pm Link

Model

Jonathan Redd

Amadea T wrote:

Try 6 months.

Damn really 6 months

Mar 30 15 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Livingston

Los Angeles, California, US

Did you pay the photographer?

Did the photographer pay you?

Was it a trade arrangement?

People need proper context to advise you better.

Mar 30 15 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

Depending on my schedule, I try and get them out within a month, if I'm doing something a little more fantasy-like, that easily triples the time it takes in Photoshop, if it was a 3 hour shoot, I can easily spend another 3 hours or more on one shot adding in elements that weren't in the original... multiply that by 10-20 shots... and keeping in mind that I have other things to accomplish on a daily basis... While I try to get at least a couple of shots from every shoot done right away, it's often over a month (it's been as much as 2 when I was shooting a lot!), to finish the complete set. I'd like to get them processed faster, but there's only so much time.

Having said that, if you paid for the shoot, ignore everything I just said, you should have them within a month imo.

Mar 30 15 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Was this a shoot you paid for? Was this a trade shoot? Were you paid for the shoot? Was there an agreement?

Way more information is needed before anyone can give you an honest answer.

Mar 30 15 07:59 pm Link

Model

Jonathan Redd

Gary Livingston wrote:
Did you pay the photographer?

Did the photographer pay you?

Was it a trade arrangement?

People need proper context to advise you better.

Sorry it was a trade but he told me I get them later this week and that was last week.

Mar 31 15 06:00 am Link

Model

Jonathan Redd

Shot By Adam wrote:
Was this a shoot you paid for? Was this a trade shoot? Were you paid for the shoot? Was there an agreement?

Way more information is needed before anyone can give you an honest answer.

I was a TF. He said I get them "later this week". But that was last week.

Mar 31 15 06:02 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Tons of things can come up and it's possible (though not probable) that the photographer might have sent them out to a retoucher for finishing, which would only exacerbate the problem. Figure that on a TF, two to four weeks can be considered fast.  Any longer than that, and I would check with the photographer (Politely please, especially if you want to get any back at all) to see what's happening.

I don't mean this smarmily, but I do think it would be a good idea for anyone who is at all serious about modeling to find a photographer willing to let them play around with Photoshop a little bit to see how time-consuming it can be to turn out a quality product, just as it wouldn't hurt photographers to try modeling every once in a while.  The green grass/olther side of the fence thing, you know.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Mar 31 15 07:54 am Link

Photographer

Philipe

Pomona, California, US

Three weeks is nothing...

Mar 31 15 09:48 am Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

If the photographer is not giving you any reason for the delay I would say wait one more week before asking again.  If you still don't get your images ask the photographer to give you the unedited images and then get your own retoucher to edit them for you.  In the absence of a written agreement that specifies how many images you were to get and in what time frame there is little you can other than be patient.  Realistically, many models get screwed by photographers and never get any images, it's just part of the learning process.

Mar 31 15 10:02 am Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

The way I run my life is to go on what people tell me. If you were told that, you could ask him if he has an estimated new delivery date.

Mar 31 15 10:34 am Link

Photographer

BobBarford Photo

York, Pennsylvania, US

Though 2 weeks is about an average turn around time, it can take longer depending in many factors. Stay professional and offer a helpful suggestion such as " I know a good image retoucher ..."

Apr 02 15 06:09 pm Link

Model

Jonathan Redd

BobBarford Photo wrote:
Though 2 weeks is about an average turn around time, it can take longer depending in many factors. Stay professional and offer a helpful suggestion such as " I know a good image retoucher ..."

I tried to call him and he ignored my phone call. Never texted me

Apr 02 15 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

Cap Hayes

I tried to call him and he ignored my phone call. Never texted me

I think you're being a bit overly persistent, especially for a TF shoot.  Unless you had some prearranged deadline when you shot and/or he was aware of some deadline that you had to send them somewhere, etc., it's not unreasonable to take 4 weeks or more.  Delays happen in every business and there could be any number of factors.

Several bad results could come out of badgering - like not getting the best quality edits that the photographer can offer because of time constraints and/or frustration. Or, maybe even worse, that you get really great results from the shoot, but the photographer doesn't want to work together again.

Apr 03 15 08:22 am Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Whenever this issue comes up, I am always a bit surprised at how many people seem to want to make excuses for photographers.
I also don't understand why it would matter if the shoot was "TF" or not.

Every shoot involves a certain level of post-work, we all know this and we all know this when we're scheduling shoots (whether it's a TF of we're being paid) and if a photographer doesn't have the time to actually finish the shoot (do the post work) then they really shouldn't do the shoot at all.
They should schedule it for a time when they have the time to complete the work.

I don't understand the attitude of someone that has the time to do the shoot but then somehow can't seem to find the time to finish the images.

At the very least photographers should be upfront and tell the model prior to booking the shoot if they will be unable to finish the images for a long time. And to me, anything over 7-10 days is a long time.

Someone mentioned 6 months above...holy shit! That's ridiculous.

Apr 03 15 08:59 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Dean Johnson Photo wrote:
Whenever this issue comes up, I am always a bit surprised at how many people seem to want to make excuses for photographers.

Every shoot involves a certain level of post-work, we all know this and we all know this when we're scheduling shoots (whether it's a TF of we're being paid) and if a photographer doesn't have the time to actually finish the shoot (do the post work) then they really shouldn't do the shoot at all.
They should schedule it for a time when they have the time to complete the work.

I don't understand the attitude of someone that has the time to do the shoot but then somehow can't seem to find the time to finish the images.

At the very least photographers should be upfront and tell the model prior to booking the shoot if they will be unable to finish the images for a long time. And to me, anything over 7-10 days is a long time.

Simply put, when I'm being paid to do something, I am far more motivated to get the work done than when I am not being paid to do so.

If someone I did a trade shoot with gets upset because they don't get their pictures back in 2 weeks, the worst is they won't ask me to do another trade shoot.
If I'm not satisfying a paying client, they can either withhold final payment or never hire me again for more paid work.

So that's why.

Apr 03 15 09:14 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Any advice on what to do when a photographer is taking so long to edit your pictures?

You will find there is a large variation to the answer of what is "normal" because everyone's situation is different, and there are many people who are only aware of things from their perspective or their personal experience instead of observing when this subject is discussed weekly to see that yes, sometimes it does take 6 months.

The challenge, especially with trade work, is that most people are aware that paid work and paid clients often take precedent, and trade work will get sloughed off.   Just like as a model, if you had an offer of trade and an offer of a paid shoot, typically most people would place a higher priority on the paid work.

It is also worth considering that there are many people, especially on this site, for whom photography is not their full-time occupation.  Sometimes people work 9-5 jobs or other full-time jobs and do the photography on the side, which severely restricts the time they have available to process photos.

In other cases, people may outsource photos/send work out to retouchers, which opens another whole new situation, because even the photographer is waiting on the return of work that meets their standards, before they can send those images to you.  It often takes multiple retouchers to find one who completes a given photo as desired.  This can take way more time than people realize.  Personally, I have had photos going out to retouchers than have taken years (1.5-2 years) of trying different people before getting the desired and needed result.  This may not even cross the mind of those who do their own work, but it can be a problem when outsourcing work.

I do agree, that honest and open conversation should take place.  That is what probably disturbs me the most about these threads, not how long it takes, rather how often photographers just stop talking and stop communicating.   Whether that is the photographer being a jerk or the model being a pest by asking too often is going to vary from situation to situation, but either way people should act as mature adults and mature professionals to at least discuss if there are problems and trying to be both realistic and honest.

All the above said, yes, you will find photographers who return work in 1 week, others 2 weeks, some 1 month, others may take 3-6 months.   I've heard of 6 months surprisingly often, but ideally NOT when they promised a week. That is one time where there is value in checking references, you can ask other models and inquire how long it took with them.  It won't give you a guarantee but it may help... although, just because a photographer gets photos too one model in a week is no guarantee they will get them to all models in a week, nor even a month.

In the end, from what I've seen on this site a month is not unusual (even if someone promises a week or two), and images that may be submitted for publication could take significantly longer as most places do not want images out in public before they are published, so you may need to wait until after publication.   Hopefully you'd be aware of this in advance of your shoot, but in reality many people are not great at communication.

Apr 03 15 09:28 am Link

Photographer

Cap Hayes

This is the key.  But, the reverse is also true - the models should be telling the photographers if they have a certain time frame in mind.  I think if you look over TF threads here, you will see many photographers take 2-4 weeks.  If there was no set delivery time agreed upon, I don't think anyone can be too upset about not having photos on week 3. 

Since we don't know what was agreed upon prior to the shoot, I don't think it's fair to say the photographer did anything wrong except perhaps misjudging by a week, thus far.

Apr 03 15 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

This.

Apr 03 15 08:03 pm Link

Model

Jonathan Redd

Cap Hayes wrote:

This is the key.  But, the reverse is also true - the models should be telling the photographers if they have a certain time frame in mind.  I think if you look over TF threads here, you will see many photographers take 2-4 weeks.  If there was no set delivery time agreed upon, I don't think anyone can be too upset about not having photos on week 3. 

Since we don't know what was agreed upon prior to the shoot, I don't think it's fair to say the photographer did anything wrong except perhaps misjudging by a week, thus far.

We did. He told me later this week. That was last week and this week is about over too. I called he ignored it and never returned it.

Apr 04 15 05:35 am Link

Model

Jonathan Redd

Good Egg Productions wrote:

Simply put, when I'm being paid to do something, I am far more motivated to get the work done than when I am not being paid to do so.

If someone I did a trade shoot with gets upset because they don't get their pictures back in 2 weeks, the worst is they won't ask me to do another trade shoot.
If I'm not satisfying a paying client, they can either withhold final payment or never hire me again for more paid work.

Also he said it was free and gave me some run around about a phone bill he needed help with so I also gave him money too for that so that counts in my eyes as paying. I just feel he tricked me. I got great shots tho they just need editing.

So that's why.

Apr 04 15 05:38 am Link

Photographer

Cap Hayes

We did. He told me later this week. That was last week and this week is about over too. I called he ignored it and never returned it.

If he told you "later this week" last week and you shot 3 weeks ago then you did not agree to a time frame before or during the shoot, which is what I suggested and was talking about.  You don't setup a shoot, complete a shoot and then tell people about your deadlines.  You do that ahead of the shoot so that they can make an intelligent decision and you can get your pictures on time.

I think no one here is getting the full picture of what was agreed upon -before- the shoot or what was or wasn't said in the conservations before, during and after the shoot.

Apr 04 15 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Also he said it was free and gave me some run around about a phone bill he needed help with so I also gave him money...

You are a good man!

Apr 04 15 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Peter House

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Honestly, I am slow to edit. I think 3 weeks is still reasonable. I try to turn around most shots within a month. I'm very meticulous with my edits and I like to go over them several times, and I cant do it all in one go. I edit, leave it for a few days, come back to it, etc. So it takes a while to get through the shots.

I would be patient. After a month start to question. After 2 start to REALLY question.

Apr 04 15 10:34 am Link

Model

Jonathan Redd

Cap Hayes wrote:

If he told you "later this week" last week and you shot 3 weeks ago then you did not agree to a time frame before or during the shoot, which is what I suggested and was talking about.  You don't setup a shoot, complete a shoot and then tell people about your deadlines.  You do that ahead of the shoot so that they can make an intelligent decision and you can get your pictures on time.

I think no one here is getting the full picture of what was agreed upon -before- the shoot or what was or wasn't said in the conservations before, during and after the shoot.

Put yourself in a model shoes. A photographer tells you I will have your pics edited later this week and it's the next week and still no pics or texting saying I got backed up .. How you feel??

Apr 04 15 10:58 am Link

Photographer

Stephanie Gustafson

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, US

Maybe shoot an email or something. That seems like a long time and that person should've finished in the time they told you or should've just given you a heads up of what was going on.

Apr 04 15 01:59 pm Link

Model

Jonathan Redd

StefaniG wrote:
Maybe shoot an email or something. That seems like a long time and that person should've finished in the time they told you or should've just given you a heads up of what was going on.

Called today no answer .  Guess I'm not getting the pictures edited

Apr 04 15 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

Cap Hayes

Put yourself in a model shoes. A photographer tells you I will have your pics edited later this week and it's the next week and still no pics or texting saying I got backed up .. How you feel??

I'm not saying that you have no right to be displeased.  If you look back, I have even said that the photographer is guilty of being late.  1 week and counting.  Have you never had anything run 1 week late in your life?  Have you considered that calling and emailing him repeatedly may be contributing to his lack of motivation to get back to you?

Putting myself in your shoes - Yes, I'm annoyed.  No, I don't want to hear that I also made mistakes.

Now, since I've done that, try putting yourself in his shoes.  Emails and phone calls start coming in at the end of week 2 and there was not an agreed upon time frame before that.  How you feel??

Apr 04 15 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

From what I've heard from models, one of the toughest lessons to learn is to not hound photographers to get photos back.

I don't care what it is in life, but when someone bugs you trying to get you to hurry up to do something, a HUGE percentage of the time the person's response will be to do the exact OPPOSITE.

Put yourself in anyone's shoes, annoying a person trying to get what you want rarely works.

As others in this thread have shown, it is hard to see things from others perspectives, even photographers understanding other photographers, let alone photographers stopping to think about a model's situation.

Now, one thing I've frequently heard is that if a model really needs portfolio quality images within a specific time frame, they should consider actually hiring a photographer, because then if there is a breach of contract you have some actual legal recourse, and lets be honest, paying clients do get priority.

Did not notice above, did you check this photographer's references by talking to any other models the photographer worked with, and ask what their experiences were with regards to turn around?

Something else worth considering...  perhaps something went wrong with the shoot... maybe the photographer isn't happy with the photos, or maybe something happened during the shoot that has resulted in the photographer feeling uncooperative?

It does make sense to think of things from the other person's perspective (exactly as you indicated above), but I'm curious of you've thought of this from the photographer's perspective to see if there might be something you could have done differently or better such that you would not be at this point?

Remember, we only know one side of the story, and there are three sides to every story.

Apr 04 15 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

DAVISICON

San Antonio, Texas, US

move on and try and find a more honest photographer?, Check in with the old one, occasionally they are busy like has already been said or he "sent out" for retouching, or unfortunately many times, the photographer does not like the photographs and doesn't want to give them..............W

Apr 04 15 09:38 pm Link

Model

Jonathan Redd

Cap Hayes wrote:

I'm not saying that you have no right to be displeased.  If you look back, I have even said that the photographer is guilty of being late.  1 week and counting.  Have you never had anything run 1 week late in your life?  Have you considered that calling and emailing him repeatedly may be contributing to his lack of motivation to get back to you?

Putting myself in your shoes - Yes, I'm annoyed.  No, I don't want to hear that I also made mistakes.

Now, since I've done that, try putting yourself in his shoes.  Emails and phone calls start coming in at the end of week 2 and there was not an agreed upon time frame before that.  How you feel??

I didn't harass him to be honest. In facts I texted 2x. And called him once. Within 2weeks if that's harassing then maybe I got it all wrong

Apr 05 15 01:37 pm Link

Model

Jonathan Redd

And I'm very thankful for everyone's help and opinion.

Apr 05 15 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

maybe you'll get the photos some day. or maybe you won't. just how it goes. i'd say keep moving forward in life. looking back with frustration will only distract from the present and future. find some other (more reliable) photographers to work with and make some great pictures so you won't even miss the ones you didn't get. use the frustration as fuel, as motivation.

and, you are not alone. this is a very popular topic. sometimes i think the photographer just completely screwed up the shoot but doesn't want to say that and is hoping the model will just move on already.

Apr 07 15 11:51 am Link

Model

Jonathan Redd

ontherocks wrote:
maybe you'll get the photos some day. or maybe you won't. just how it goes. i'd say keep moving forward in life. looking back with frustration will only distract from the present and future. find some other (more reliable) photographers to work with and make some great pictures so you won't even miss the ones you didn't get. use the frustration as fuel, as motivation.

and, you are not alone. this is a very popular topic. sometimes i think the photographer just completely screwed up the shoot but doesn't want to say that and is hoping the model will just move on already.

Tbh the shots are actually good. I wish I could show you them just need good editing. But you are right

Apr 07 15 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Cap Hayes

So you have the shots and you're waiting for retouching from the photographer?  If that's the case, why not see if he will agree to let you use a different retoucher and just make sure he can see the work ahead of time.

Apr 07 15 12:26 pm Link