Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > professional level photos

Model

Vi Synster

Jesup, Georgia, US

I also do makeup (as well as model) and i'm wondering how "starters" to the professional world get high quality photos, showing off their cosmetic skills? I have the skills, I just haven't been able to get my work in a professional type setting. I'm also not "certified" (my state requires certification only if you plan to work for professional companies)

Mar 31 15 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Vi Synster wrote:
I also do makeup (as well as model) and i'm wondering how "starters" to the professional world get high quality photos, showing off their cosmetic skills? I have the skills, I just haven't been able to get my work in a professional type setting. I'm also not "certified" (my state requires certification only if you plan to work for professional companies)

Hire professional photographers.

Mar 31 15 08:31 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Alannah The Stylist

Los Angeles, California, US

Images by MR wrote:

This.

Or post a casting call to see if anyone would be willing to do a trade shoot. Another good way to get more experience and photos would be to assist professional make up artist in your area.

Mar 31 15 10:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

SinCityFaces

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Focus on your lighting!

A lot of MUA on IG are also Youtube gurus who have mastered the art of "lighting".

As you can tell by their eyes, most of them typically have a ring light! Try to capture your images in great lighting until you are able to do some TFP work!

& definitely would suggest doing some TFP work if you are just starting out.

I hope this helped! (:

Apr 01 15 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Vi Synster wrote:

How does one go about getting a professional finish on any work they require ...hmmm, that's a toughie!

Apr 01 15 05:17 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

Hire talented professional photographers and models.

Apr 01 15 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

Images by MR wrote:

Have the photographer take some before and after images.

Apr 01 15 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Vi Synster wrote:
I also do makeup (as well as model) and i'm wondering how "starters" to the professional world get high quality photos showing off their cosmetic skills?

Vi Synster,  I'm a commercial photographer who specializes in Beauty Genre thus decided a decade ago to train and license as a makeup artist...  This was a huge investment in time/equity...  however has decidedly paid back royally in as my commercial makeup assignments oft exceed recompense from photography especially during bridal season... I do however collaborate as a makeup artist with published photographers for creative testing... Becoming a preferred team member is a very good thing...

Vi Synster wrote:
I have the skills, I just haven't been able to get my work in a professional type setting

Possibly one of the greatest misconception in our industry is that "skill set" is paramount.  A significant amount of my formal training dealt appropriately with the business aspects of our industry and how to parley one's expertise into obtaining paid assignments or more preferably a full time position since the later has health care benefits including maternity leave, paid vacation,  and most importantly career path...  All my instructors had at one point in their long tenure done time as a brand rep in high end department stores where retail skills trump makeup expertise... This remains the path of choice by many...

As to your query?  First and foremost you have to consider who your target audience is...  That metric and that metric alone will drive the image equation.  All to often emerging makeup artist have delusions of grandeur that they will obviously become represented by a noteworthy agency... Time for a wake-up call...  At your age I was certain I was going to be a rock star... lol   get over this, you have to pay your dues on the way up... While being signed by Jed Root is a noble goal, do any of you think you're ready to compete with the likes of Laura Mercier (yes she is signed by Jed Root).  In my market T.H.E. Artist's Agency reps makeup artist... here is their application... btw, they prefer hiring licensed Estheticians. 

If you aspire to become represented then you would be strongly advised to FIRST only work with agency models... there are compelling reasons far too numerous to go into... Atlanta would be your closest option here...  start contacting the model agencies there to let them know you are available for creative testing... 

Hiring a "professional" photographer is NOT likely a wise choice... Most commercial photographers are clueless as to what constitutes an image which would find favor by those in an agency that might sign you... You simply have to work with photographers who are on each agencies "preferred list"  Trust me there are serious reasons why legitimate agencies have a preferred photographer lists... Do Not confuse this with the hacks who work the portfolio mills... but that is another story all together...

You've received some misguided info in this thread... typical of Mayhem hobbyist... NEVER do before/after images, this screams non-professional a.k.a. amateur...  this modality is only used for retail clientele such as bridal... No agency booker is going to allow their models to sign a release for this type of scenario...  And you must work only with agency models for your book... anyone claiming otherwise is naive at best... 

What I find interesting is that there are agency represented artist on this forum and they remain silent... Sorry but competition is fierce and is getting even more so....  in fact the roar of this silence is deafening... enough said...

All the best on your journey...

Apr 02 15 07:41 am Link

Model

Vi Synster

Jesup, Georgia, US

Yeah, I honestly knew "hire a professional photographer" but given my location, not easy (about 2.5 hours southeast of Atlanta, GA, there's simply not a lot of professional photographers around my area, most are students since I go to a liberal arts college during the school year).

I love doing horror/blood/gore related spfx art, but I'm also willing to do all other kinds of makeup designs. Aging is difficult x_x lol, as for training, I took a stage cosmetic class through my school's theater department, I also apprenticed under my old modeling instructor (who was also a makeup artist) for about a year.

Apr 06 15 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

rich cirminello

Dallas, Texas, US

Vi Synster wrote:
Yeah, I honestly knew "hire a professional photographer" but given my location, not easy (about 2.5 hours southeast of Atlanta, GA, there's simply not a lot of professional photographers around my area, most are students since I go to a liberal arts college during the school year).

I love doing horror/blood/gore related spfx art, but I'm also willing to do all other kinds of makeup designs. Aging is difficult x_x lol, as for training, I took a stage cosmetic class through my school's theater department, I also apprenticed under my old modeling instructor (who was also a makeup artist) for about a year.

That's a great excuse for maintaining that 'amateur' look while claiming you have the skills of a pro.

If you "honestly knew hire a professional photographer," and that's not a good enough response, then what type of answer are you looking for?

You're either going to need to find a professional level photographer or become one yourself.

If you're considering the latter option here's what you need:
+ to acquire a 'professional level' camera
+ to acquire a 'professional level' lens
+ to acquire 'professional level' lighting equipment
+ to develop 'professional level' skills at taking 'professional level' photos with all the 'professional level' gear
+ to develop 'professional level' retouching skills using a 'professional level' computer and 'professional level' software

If all goes well, after investing several thou$and in ca$h and a few years practicing and working for free/cheap you'll be ready to hire a 'professional level' model and do your 'professional level' shoot.

OR

You could focus on being a good makeup artist and hire a professional photographer for a few hundred dollar$ – preferably one who has all the equipment and skills needed for the job.

Vi Synster wrote:
...given my location ... = (about 2.5 hours southeast of Atlanta, GA, there's simply not a lot of professional photographers around my area, ...

If there are no photographers near you, you can either:
1: pay one to come all the way to wherever the hell you are and do the shoot at your location
or
2: bring yourself and your kit (and wallet) to the photographer – schedule a shoot with a photographer at their studio, even if 2.5 hours away by car and do the shoot there.

Apr 07 15 01:45 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Alannah The Stylist

Vi Synster wrote:

2.5 hours isn't that far! That's about the amount of travel time I have to get to work and most of the shoots I style.I'm on the train/bus too!

Even if you don't want to travel that far than, why don't you reach out to the student photographers at your college to start your portfolio? It's a good start.

Apr 09 15 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

I would look further into the student idea.  I would make a casting for a photographer who has a shared interest in what you want to do.  Beauty shots are pretty common for students to work on.  Most students have a 50mm lens that can give great sharp pictures.  The barrier isn't a money or distance issue for you.  I think you need to put the time in to post ads for the type of photographer you need.   

Good luck,

Apr 10 15 12:14 am Link