Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > If you had to pick, how the world would end

Photographer

- Phil H -

Mildenhall, England, United Kingdom

Evan Hiltunen wrote:
God, having gone absolutely bat poop crazy from being, well, you know, omnipotent and everything, suddenly announces Its presence by screaming, world wide, "You wanted proof! You wanted proof! A big flood wasn't enough?"

Then an 800 pound thumb materializes in thin air, above every man, woman, and child, and squashes them.

Except for Justin Bieber. God thinks the Beebs is hunky dory and lets him live.

There's only one Hunky Dory when it comes to music and Bieber ain't it. tongue

https://a2.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Music/v4/a1/16/d6/a116d6c8-1221-2569-c025-8d1570ae114c/0724352189953_1422x1422_300dpi.600x600-75.jpg

Apr 02 15 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Kincaid Blackwood

Los Angeles, California, US

Sudden influx of Von Neumann probes that have evolved to be hostile, originally (and ironically) sent out by Neanderthals from a nearby star system who left earth tens of thousands of years ago due to a nuclear-holocaust that caused (What they thought was) a zombie outbreak that actually turned out to be early humans.

Apr 02 15 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

I had a scary thought.....what if the earth were to lose its gravitational pull and one day out of the blue,we were outside walking and suddenly we flew up into the sky.....up ...up into the atmosphere. I imagine if seen at night it would look like beautiful fireworks flashing in the sky...millions of little dots shining....which of course would be our bodies burning up when we hit the heat shield.

Apr 02 15 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

HHPhoto wrote:

+1

I was thinking probably the comet... or better yet, a maverick black hole that sucks up the entire solar system, sun and all.  Neat and tidy. 

Or.. maybe just a few drops of strategically placed "red matter" would do the job.  (Is that number 8?)

Doesn't Red matter do black holes? Wasn't that New Star Trek?

Apr 02 15 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Gamma Ray Burst

The Nasa team keeping tabs on intergalactic death rays
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2015033 … th-ray-spy

"If it was just 100 light years away it could blow the atmosphere off,”

"Research published in 2013 suggested that a blast of radiation that hit our planet in the 8th Century may have been the result of a gamma ray burst" (from 12,000 light years)

Apr 02 15 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

DEP E510

Miramar, Florida, US

https://static.veronicamagazine.nl/srv/gallery-1024/www/a-z/m/mr/mr-stay-puft-1-2.jpeg

is this even a question?

Apr 03 15 01:01 am Link

Photographer

John Photography

DEP E510 wrote:
https://static.veronicamagazine.nl/srv/gallery-1024/www/a-z/m/mr/mr-stay-puft-1-2.jpeg

is this even a question?

Easy fix get some fatty food addicts to eat him

Apr 03 15 02:01 am Link

Photographer

Kincaid Blackwood

Los Angeles, California, US

Tony From Syracuse wrote:
I had a scary thought.....what if the earth were to lose its gravitational pull and one day out of the blue,we were outside walking and suddenly we flew up into the sky.....up ...up into the atmosphere. I imagine if seen at night it would look like beautiful fireworks flashing in the sky...millions of little dots shining....which of course would be our bodies burning up when we hit the heat shield.

Someone more versed in the laws of celestial mechanics can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly certain that bodies of a certain mass and makeup exert a gravitational pull. The earth is so large and we're so tiny that it isn't physically possible.

A mad scientist with a reverse gravity Ray, on the other hand, is TOTALLY possible.

Apr 03 15 09:40 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Comet.

Alien invasion sounds most interesting but I don't want to be probed thanks.
lol

https://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140507220808/new-monster/images/d/d6/Funny-lol-star-trek-aliens-wont-talk-us-next-generation-annoyed-picard-humor-joke-meme-photo-pic.jpg

Apr 03 15 09:42 am Link

Photographer

scrymettet

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

Jules NYC wrote:
Comet.

Alien invasion sounds most interesting but I don't want to be probed thanks.
lol

I have a doctor to do that. And I am paying for it

Apr 03 15 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Reflected

New York, New York, US

CNP Photography wrote:
Amazing movie about the end of the world: Melancholia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHMy6abqq04

Probably not a good idea to watch the movie if you are prone to depression, tho.

Joel Sax wrote:
I don't know.  I suffer from depression and I thought the movie was spot on.  Notice how the depressed woman handled the end better than her nondepressed sister.

Bonus points

Apr 03 15 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Reflected

New York, New York, US

https://artandhistoryoffilmspring2014.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/melancholia.gif

Apr 03 15 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Reflected

New York, New York, US

Or just the way it's actually going to happen.

https://cinenthusiast.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/the-tree-of-life1.jpg?w=660

Apr 03 15 10:42 am Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

Santa Barbara, California, US

Triffids!

Apr 03 15 11:24 am Link

Photographer

Jay2G Photography

Highland, Michigan, US

If I have to choose from your list I'd have to go with #1. Just because I think I'd have a good chance of survival. But at the same time I'd prefer to die at the same time as my son. He has type 1 diabetes and most likely would not make it long during a zombie apocalypse. I'd hate to live and watch him die slowly.
    If I can make up my own. I'd like to see god return and express his disappointment with humanity and wipe the earth clean of all man. As long as I'm not going to burn this would be the greatest end to human life on earth. IMO

Apr 03 15 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

What about death via  a neutron star?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=73&v=tlTSXr4PfSg

Apr 03 15 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Kincaid Blackwood wrote:

Someone more versed in the laws of celestial mechanics can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly certain that bodies of a certain mass and makeup exert a gravitational pull. The earth is so large and we're so tiny that it isn't physically possible.

A mad scientist with a reverse gravity Ray, on the other hand, is TOTALLY possible.

Well think about this.

Every year the Moon's orbit is getting wider..... by 3 to 4 cm. Thanks Google.

Eventually it will leave its orbit and then the Earth might topple over onto its side while maintaining its weird orbit of the Sun..

Apr 03 15 09:27 pm Link

Model

orias

Tampa, Florida, US

hmm if picking what could be the world end but we'd like to somehow survive i'd say

alien invasion

(mma rape the shit out of some aliens)

but if were pickin how the world WOULD end.  then i'd sy

comet

i'd like to feel my self get weightless as the atmosphere breached,  feel my face bleach out from the heat of the sun and the ground disintegrate beneath my feet as my lungs ran out and my heart stopped in shock.  That'd be a beautiful experience.

Apr 03 15 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

Reflected wrote:
Or just the way it's actually going to happen.

https://cinenthusiast.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/the-tree-of-life1.jpg?w=660

a still from "the tree of life"? noice. but wan't that the beginning?

Apr 03 15 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

orias wrote:
hmm if picking what could be the world end but we'd like to somehow survive i'd say

alien invasion

(mma rape the shit out of some aliens)

but if were pickin how the world WOULD end.  then i'd sy

comet

i'd like to feel my self get weightless as the atmosphere breached,  feel my face bleach out from the heat of the sun and the ground disintegrate beneath my feet as my lungs ran out and my heart stopped in shock.  That'd be a beautiful experience.

You are unique...... I like

Apr 04 15 01:36 am Link

Photographer

Reflected

New York, New York, US

GK photo wrote:
a still from "the tree of life"? noice. but wan't that the beginning?

Though in some ways visually similar to parts of the Lacrimosa, this is indeed "the end of time."

Apr 04 15 07:25 am Link

Photographer

Aesops Foto Factory

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Schlake wrote:
But while I abstained from picking, I'd secretly hope it was disease cause by a lack of telephone sanitation.

Its been known to happen.

Apr 04 15 02:15 pm Link

Model

Audrey Seybold NYC

New York, New York, US

The last option

I would be the super-villian with the outrageous plan for the end of the world.

:-)

Apr 04 15 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Audrey Seybold wrote:
The last option

I would be the super-villian with the outrageous plan for the end of the world.

:-)

Would you go into an elaborate monologue on how the plan works like a Bond villain?

Apr 05 15 03:41 am Link

Photographer

Allen Carbon

Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

John Photography wrote:

Would you go into an elaborate monologue on how the plan works like a Bond villain?

and if so what is your elaborate plan.

Apr 05 15 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Allen Carbon wrote:
If you had to pick, how the world would end

In fire.

Apr 05 15 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

The Grey Forest

Igoumenítsa, Kentriki Ellada, Greece

eh, well I'm actually in the middle of writing a novel about this exact scenario (sci-fi)
based on real events that will happen on Friday the 13th, April 2029

look up Apophis, asteroid MN4: http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/sc … y_2004mn4/

"It was a giant rock of deep space debris called MN4 the astronomers affectionately named after the Egyptian god of destruction.  Even thought the asteroid Apophis was the talk of the year, it was baffling that no one was ready for the sequence of events that unraveled despite the fact that every government and scientific community on Earth had full knowledge of its trajectory for the past several decades.  Mid April 2029 was supposed to be nothing more than a spectacular celestial event, as the experts who calculated the odds had told us it was a mere milestone that we wouldn't have to worry about for another seven years, if at all.
  Unfortunately, the fly-by failed to go as expected, and the people of Earth had a very, very bad day."

Apr 05 15 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

Warren Leimbach

Tampa, Florida, US

Kincaid Blackwood wrote:
Sudden influx of Von Neumann probes that have evolved to be hostile, originally (and ironically) sent out by Neanderthals from a nearby star system who left earth tens of thousands of years ago due to a nuclear-holocaust that caused (What they thought was) a zombie outbreak that actually turned out to be early humans.

Most Esteemed Sir,

My respect for you has deepened even further than I had imagined possible.

Sincerely yours, etc.

Apr 06 15 02:33 am Link