Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > What's for dinner?

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

The past couple of days, I was on my own for dinner.  Tomorrow is my grocery shopping day, so I wanted to use up food in the fridge before it turns into a science project.  And cooking for one can be tough.

On Day 1, I made a stuffed potato -- baked a large potato, scooped out the meat, sauteed it up with mushrooms, a small shallot, broccoli, and green onion.  Then I stuff that mix back into the potato skins, topped with low fat cheese, and broiled to melt the cheese.  Vegetarian, but not vegan.  Yummy.

On Day 2, I thought fritatta, but when I made it in the past, my smallest fry pan still made a fritatta that was too large, and you really can't save leftover fritatta, can you?  But this time, I heard the idea of using a muffin tin -- sauteed an andouille sausage, shallot, green pepper, and mushroom, dumped it into couple of greased muffin tins, added a different kind of cheese, and filled the cups with egg (actually, egg substitute).  I baked it at 350 degrees.  It took longer than expected to cook, but it was tasty, too.  (If anything, it's flavors were a bit too close to the stuffed potato).

So, do you have any suggestions for quick, healthy dinners-for-one?

Apr 02 15 11:34 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Dinner for one is not difficult. I still don't understand why people think it is. You can either make 2-3 portions for leftovers or just make one serving. I actually find making meals for 2-3 to be far more difficult than 1-2.

Here's three sites I highly recommend for inspiration:

www.foodandwine.com
www.epicurious.com
www.boneapetit.com

Apr 04 15 07:15 am Link

Photographer

scrymettet

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

rice tuna casserole , add diced vegetables for colour and vitamin (sweet pepper, onions etc)
Mashes potatoes wit salmon casserole , add grated cheese for extra creamy
fresh salmon in micro wave, saran wrap over the dish , sprinkle with maple syrup
grilled cheese

Apr 04 15 07:53 am Link