Forums > Newbie Forum > Advice on Recruiting Models

Photographer

Joel Sax

TRABUCO CANYON, California, US

I am new and looking for help arranging my first gig with a model.

Any suggestions for starting out?

Apr 02 15 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Post a casting call here on MM.

Apr 02 15 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Personality Imaging

Hoover, Alabama, US

You might start with a workshop or group shoot.  Might be less stressful and you would meet some models that you could go solo with later.   

If you do start out one on one I would recommend an experienced model. 

Good luck!   Actually taking pictures is always good!

Apr 02 15 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

at first the only models i could get were the travelling kind (look in the travel forum). i had to pay (and give rides in some cases) but they were well worth it (as a bonus they didn't like wearing clothes!)

+1 to the suggestion about meetups, group shoots, etc. i think once a model meets you in person (assuming you bathe) that improves your odds. check meetup.com

beyond that you can use the "castings" section. and/or go beyond mayhem to CL, OMP, etc.

i've also done co-shoots with local photographers. you can meet new models that way and maybe even get a referral on down the road.

if you are in it for more than just the short-term, pay your dues and get out there and get known in the local model shooting community.

Apr 02 15 01:49 pm Link

Model

M I K H A I L

Chicago, Illinois, US

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:

+1. I view casting calls, and I'm sure many others do too.

Apr 02 15 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

Joel Sax

Did that.  Silence.

Apr 02 15 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

Joel Sax

Did that.  Silence.

Apr 02 15 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

- Phil H -

Mildenhall, England, United Kingdom

You will likely find more success with casting calls, if you offer to pay. As a general rule of thumb, many experienced or even semi experienced models will only consider shooting TF with a photographer, if the quality of that photographers work, equals or exceeds the quality of the work already in her portfolio.

Consequently, when they review your portfolio, they will be looking to see examples of the kind of work you've produced, shooting with other models, of which there is currently very little in your port. This is something you will need to address before you're likely to gain any significant response to TF castings.

There are two ways to go about doing this, one would be the route of attending group shoot type events, which will allow you to  shoot several different models over the course of a day or half day. This will allow you then to better define your style, vision and creativity in your portfolio, through the images you've shot at the group event.

The other way, as previously mentioned, would be to hire a model or two to shoot, with the specific intent of adding more model specific content to your port and for the reasons mentioned above.

Both would also have the added advantage of affording the opportunity to gain some references/credits both of which help a lot in finding models willing to work with you in the future.
Hope that helps.

Apr 02 15 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

-fpc-

Boca Raton, Florida, US

PAID casting call

Apr 02 15 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

waynes world pics

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Joel Sax wrote:
I am new and looking for help arranging my first gig with a model.

Any suggestions for starting out?

You might try posting ads on Craigslist.I've had reasonably good success with that.

Apr 02 15 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

erics_Toronto_GTA

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Get a mua model and a model mua, otherwise don't invest on anything.

Apr 02 15 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

Happy Guy Photos

Upland, California, US

Personality Imaging wrote:
You might start with a workshop or group shoot.  Might be less stressful and you would meet some models that you could go solo with later.

+1,000

Excellent suggestion!

You should go to Events forum by scrolling down and clicking Events, or go to meetup.com.

Apr 02 15 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Joel Sax wrote:

Did that.  Silence.

Did you offer pay??
You might also post in critique to help you with what type of images will and will not attract models.

Apr 02 15 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Bella Photoshoot

Laguna Beach, California, US

Personality Imaging wrote:

If you do start out one on one I would recommend an experienced model. 

Good luck!   Actually taking pictures is always good!

All great advice but this would be mine as well.   Good luck and Have Fun! smile

Apr 02 15 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

Nico Simon Princely

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Don't! Models are nothing but trouble... I'm switching to Mannequins as soon as possible!

wink

Apr 02 15 07:49 pm Link

Model

MikkiMarvel

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

- Phil H - wrote:
You will likely find more success with casting calls, if you offer to pay. As a general rule of thumb, many experienced or even semi experienced models will only consider shooting TF with a photographer, if the quality of that photographers work, equals or exceeds the quality of the work already in her portfolio.

Consequently, when they review your portfolio, they will be looking to see examples of the kind of work you've produced, shooting with other models, of which there is currently very little in your port. This is something you will need to address before you're likely to gain any significant response to TF castings.

There are two ways to go about doing this, one would be the route of attending group shoot type events, which will allow you to  shoot several different models over the course of a day or half day. This will allow you then to better define your style, vision and creativity in your portfolio, through the images you've shot at the group event.

The other way, as previously mentioned, would be to hire a model or two to shoot, with the specific intent of adding more model specific content to your port and for the reasons mentioned above.

Both would also have the added advantage of affording the opportunity to gain some references/credits both of which help a lot in finding models willing to work with you in the future.
Hope that helps.

+1000

Apr 02 15 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

Nico Simon Princely

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

But Seriously...

To get models you need to have...

1. A good portfolio showing the kind of work you want them to do. (Kind of a catch 22 when you're first starting out)
2. Money (if you have a great portfolio, you can TF instead of money)
3. They have to feel safe & secure and that you will respect their boundaries.

Offer Snacks, Yogurt and Cookies at the shoot. (Actually this once you have  the models)

I would suggest that you take a workshop or a group shoot first to get some pictures in your port similar to what you want to shoot with the models.

Then do a MM casting. Paid work always gets more applicants.

Apr 02 15 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

While their is nothing wrong with paying a model.   When you are just starting out its often money wasted.   New photographers like the OP are usually trying to work out styles and sometimes technical issues.   OP that's not a dig at your work but more a general comment.   My suggestion is to ask friends.   Have some cards printed and give them out to anyone that has a look you like.   I've met new models on pubic transportation, my old health club as well as the mall.   I met a really pretty girl at a laundromat once.   Sadly this site and Craiglist are very hit or miss.   Most models will want to be paid and even then may not show.   Once you have a few dependable models continue to work with them.   If you are not paying them consider gift cards or perfume or lotions, etc. with any photos you provide.

Personally, I prefer people more focused on being photographed then being paid.

Apr 02 15 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

If you're looking here at MM for models, do a browse search and sort for last login for the models.  Contact those that interest you and be direct to the point of what you are looking to shoot.  Most will ignore you or say no thanks but someone will say yes eventually.  Don't be discouraged.  It's just a numbers game.  The more models you shoot and the better your portfolio becomes the more models will want to shoot with you.

Otherwise you can practice some techniques with friends, family, mannequins if you have access to them.
Good luck.

Apr 02 15 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

Filles de Pin-up

Wichita, Kansas, US

Welcome to the Mayhem hienvy

How to Master Photo Shoots with Models

Head over to the critique forum and ask for feedback.

Apr 02 15 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Joel Sax

Tony Lawrence wrote:
While their is nothing wrong with paying a model.   When you are just starting out its often money wasted.   New photographers like the OP are usually trying to work out styles and sometimes technical issues.   OP that's not a dig at your work but more a general comment.   My suggestion is to ask friends.   Have some cards printed and give them out to anyone that has a look you like.   I've met new models on pubic transportation, my old health club as well as the mall.   I met a really pretty girl at a laundromat once.   Sadly this site and Craiglist are very hit or miss.   Most models will want to be paid and even then may not show.   Once you have a few dependable models continue to work with them.   If you are not paying them consider gift cards or perfume or lotions, etc. with any photos you provide.

That is what I am resorting to doing right now -- using friends.  It's been fun as we have worked on concepts together.  Still haven't had a shoot, but the planning is half the fun -- the other half is the spontaniety of the actual shoot, I hope.

Apr 05 15 08:26 pm Link