Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > 'Facebook Thugging' is a misdemeanor

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

So, this one woman apparently engaged in a flame war with another/others on FB and at one point posted a selfie in which she's brandishing a gun. The pic and her posts were forwarded to local cops who issued a warrant for her arrest. She ended up in jail charged with a Class 1 misdemeanor ($2500 fine/year in jail).

video segment on CNN

The lesson in her own words: "Be careful what you put on the internet, because you can go to jail for it... Facebook thugging is a crime!" yikes

Apr 04 15 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

Apr 04 15 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Apr 04 15 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

kickfight wrote:
So, this one woman apparently engaged in a flame war with another/others on FB and at one point posted a selfie in which she's brandishing a gun. The pic and her posts were forwarded to local cops who issued a warrant for her arrest. She ended up in jail charged with a Class 1 misdemeanor ($2500 fine/year in jail).

video segment on CNN

The lesson in her own words: "Be careful what you put on the internet, because you can go to jail for it... Facebook thugging is a crime!" yikes

I dunno. I hope she contacts the ACLU. I can't see the charges standing. Oh, and BTW, your avatar is really quite threatening. Just sayin'  tongue

Apr 04 15 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

Joel Sax

TRABUCO CANYON, California, US

Lohkee wrote:
I dunno. I hope she contacts the ACLU. I can't see the charges standing. Oh, and BTW, your avatar is really quite threatening. Just sayin'  tongue

She should ask the NRA -- they have more money.

Apr 04 15 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Lohkee wrote:
I dunno. I hope she contacts the ACLU. I can't see the charges standing.

You should totally advise her on that... via Facebook big_smile

Lohkee wrote:
Oh, and BTW, your avatar is really quite threatening. Just sayin'  tongue

lol There, there... it's all going to be OK. lol

Apr 04 15 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

kickfight wrote:
lol There, there... it's all going to be OK. lol

Was that a threat?!? It sure sounded like one! tongue

Apr 04 15 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Lohkee wrote:
Was that a threat?!? It sure sounded like one! tongue

call the poliiiiice... lol

Apr 04 15 03:44 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN4PSu8qzNc

So I guess I'm not missing any Jerry Springer drama:)

https://www.damnwtflol.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/welcome-to-facebook.jpg

Apr 04 15 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Jules NYC wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN4PSu8qzNc

So I guess I'm not missing any Jerry Springer drama:)

https://www.damnwtflol.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/welcome-to-facebook.jpg

hahah Jules..........

I wish I could friend you on my facebook haha.

Apr 05 15 03:39 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Oh the humanity....

Those damn internet bullies....  mean mean mean....

Society of candy asses is evolving right in front of our eyes.

Apr 05 15 05:21 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Lohkee wrote:

There is also MM Thugging.

big_smile

Apr 05 15 06:01 am Link

Photographer

MN Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Is this much different from saying something like "You know, I have a gun" on a voice mail when you are having an argument with someone?  I think that can get you picked up too.

Apr 05 15 06:51 am Link

Photographer

ValHig

London, England, United Kingdom

MN Photography wrote:
Is this much different from saying something like "You know, I have a gun" on a voice mail when you are having an argument with someone?  I think that can get you picked up too.

Exactly. Threatening someone over Facebook is really no different to threatening them elsewhere or on another medium. The woman implied she was going to shoot someone after already harassing them - of course she should be arrested.

Apr 05 15 07:54 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

John Photography wrote:
I wish I could friend you on my facebook haha.

I'd accept if I was on there.
tongue

Apr 05 15 08:21 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

MN Photography wrote:

Ever said, "I'm going to kill you" in jest, in a pure joking manner?  I do it all the time.
It's all about context.

I know someone that had the outs with his girlfriend (ex by that point?) at the time.
A string of text messages went back and forth and he said, "I wish you were dead" or something to that nature. Knowing the full story I could completely see why he said that in anger but that string of texts was used against him and he was thrown in jail for it.

I'm sure the same goes for voicemails, emails, letters, etc.

Watch what you say, post, even here.

I highly doubt an employer would take the time to research every single post one has ever written but for shits and giggles, even if they did, I wouldn't cringe.  I most likely wouldn't work for an employer that would do that, but know nothing can incriminate me.

Apr 05 15 08:27 am Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Jules NYC wrote:
Watch what you say, post, even here.

I highly doubt an employer would take the time to research every single post one has ever written but for shits and giggles, even if they did, I wouldn't cringe.  I most likely wouldn't work for an employer that would do that, but know nothing can incriminate me.

A worthwhile employer might in fact hire you based on your posts, because they indicate a strength of character and honesty that is often lacking on MM and in the world in general. You tell it like it is. Straightforward direct honesty appears to be just as threatening as a gun to some. smile

Apr 05 15 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

kickfight wrote:
A worthwhile employer might in fact hire you based on your posts, because they indicate a strength of character and honesty that is often lacking on MM and in the world in general. You tell it like it is.  smile

+1 and

@Jules - we have gone to the ropes in the past and I would still hire you in a heartbeat. An employee who has the balls to tell you what you **NEED** to hear, as opposed to what you **WANT** to hear, is, IMHO priceless. I would rather have 1 employee that told me I was full of shit (and why) than 10 who feed my ego in hopes of a raise. Honestly, the one PITA employee would very likely be the one I promoted.

Apr 05 15 11:49 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

kickfight wrote:

A worthwhile employer might in fact hire you based on your posts, because they indicate a strength of character and honesty that is often lacking on MM and in the world in general. You tell it like it is. Straightforward direct honesty appears to be just as threatening as a gun to some. smile

I truly appreciate what you said here, thank you!
I enjoy reading your truth as well:)

Apr 05 15 04:05 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Lohkee wrote:
+1 and

@Jules - we have gone to the ropes in the past and I would still hire you in a heartbeat. An employee who has the balls to tell you what you **NEED** to hear, as opposed to what you **WANT** to hear, is, IMHO priceless. I would rather have 1 employee that told me I was full of shit (and why) than 10 who feed my ego in hopes of a raise. Honestly, the one PITA employee would very likely be the one I promoted.

Lohkee,

I would gladly be your employee if you were hiring hee hee:)  I love reading your posts. Thank you:)
Hope this honesty is a good thing because I had two interviews with ESPN already and was asked some pretty tough questions that were purely based on "What do you think?"

I think I have a really good shot at the job - the competition is insane.
*Crosses fingers for next round interviews

As for your post, I always keep this running through my head, just a more subtle delivery.
lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWCGs27_xPI
On that note, ha ha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LCggmsCXk4

/threadjack:P

Apr 05 15 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Jules NYC wrote:
I think I have a really good shot at the job - the competition is insane.
*Crosses fingers for next round interviews

As for your post, I always keep this running through my head, just a more subtle delivery.

Chuckles. Probably a very **good** idea (to be more subtle). While I did retire at a high grade as a management official, there is no doubt that I could have gone a lot further had I just, well, kept my big fucking mouth shut. I guess my parents forgot to pass on that gene. Sigh.

Anyway, I'm sure you know that I'm not a religious person, but I will be sending good thoughts your way and hoping for the best. YOU GO GIRL!

Apr 05 15 06:23 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Lohkee wrote:

Chuckles. Probably a very **good** idea (to be more subtle). While I did retire at a high grade as a management official, there is no doubt that I could have gone a lot further had I just, well, kept my big fucking mouth shut. I guess my parents forgot to pass on that gene. Sigh.

Anyway, I'm sure you know that I'm not a religious person, but I will be sending good thoughts your way and hoping for the best. YOU GO GIRL!

Thank you!!!!

There is quite the political dance within the workplace - what you really want to say and knowing when you can't say it. What's cool about this opportunity, they are encouraging me to reveal how I'd do things.  I love that!

I'm not a religious person either yet good thoughts are very much welcomed & very much appreciated!
Yay!
smile

Apr 05 15 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

I hope it sticks and she can't afford the fine s has to sit in jail and think about how stupid she is. Maybe some other idiots on the net will think erode acting stupid on the net. ( I know!! Wong happen, but we can hope! )

Apr 05 15 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Jules NYC wrote:
Thank you!!!!

There is quite the political dance within the workplace - what you really want to say and knowing when you can't say it. What's cool about this opportunity, they are encouraging me to reveal how I'd do things.  I love that!

I'm not a religious person either yet good thoughts are very much welcomed & very much appreciated!
Yay!
smile

I hope you win. I really do. Understand, however, that win or loose, we'll still still duke it out on MM! Why? 'cause that's what we do! tongue  Good luck! May the sun shine on your face and the wind be at your back (I think that what sailors say)!

Apr 05 15 07:15 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Lohkee wrote:

I hope you win. I really do. Understand, however, that win or loose, we'll still still duke it out on MM! Why? 'cause that's what we do! tongue  Good luck! May the sun shine on your face and the wind be at your back!

lol
Love it

Apr 05 15 07:16 pm Link