Forums > Critique > Brand New Website Look - Feedback Wanted

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Hi everyone,
I just spent all night re-working my website.  The old look was very gray and dark and I just got sick of looking at it.  Anyway, if you have the time please look it over and let me know what you think.  Just keep in mind that the Services section still needs work/more thought and that I still need to add a few more pictures to the Portfolio section.  Thanks in advance!

http://www.yajhil.com

Apr 09 15 02:51 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I like the home page, features your work big and in front however the portfolio section doesn't; just a standard fair light box zoom.  Also its not responsive and that isn't good in this day and age.

Its not up to the standard of your work - granted I think you work is above average so the bar is higher.

Apr 09 15 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

I like the homepage with the large display of the image.
Not so crazy about the grid display for your portfolio - there's a reason why the scroll-strip display has become essentially standard for fashion portfolios, as you can display portrait and landscape images side by side without one being auto-sized downward.

Apr 09 15 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Thanks everyone for the nice words!

I went ahead and changed the gallery style for the Portfolio section.  Let me know if that works better.  Thanks!

Apr 09 15 08:47 pm Link

Model

Layla_B

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

Haven't seen your first version, but this scrollbar in the portfoliosection works fine. It's easy having all the thumbs underneath for quick scrolling.
I'm viewing your site on a tablet and it looks fine. A bit slow, but it works (maybe it's the connection, I'll look again tomorrow on my desktop).
On the about-page; I am not really a fan of talking in the third person-stories. I'd rather read a personal ('I am/did/etc') message.
Your photo is okay, but you had another portret of yourself in your port for a short time a little while ago if I'm correct? I really liked that one, just a little more space around the head if I remember correctly..
Just my thoughts ofcourse, what you do with it is up to you smile
(And it reminds me that I also have to get working on my new website, I've reached my image-limit on the one I have now...)

Apr 10 15 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Layla_B wrote:
Haven't seen your first version, but this scrollbar in the portfoliosection works fine. It's easy having all the thumbs underneath for quick scrolling.
I'm viewing your site on a tablet and it looks fine. A bit slow, but it works (maybe it's the connection, I'll look again tomorrow on my desktop).
On the about-page; I am not really a fan of talking in the third person-stories. I'd rather read a personal ('I am/did/etc') message.
Your photo is okay, but you had another portret of yourself in your port for a short time a little while ago if I'm correct? I really liked that one, just a little more space around the head if I remember correctly..
Just my thoughts ofcourse, what you do with it is up to you smile
(And it reminds me that I also have to get working on my new website, I've reached my image-limit on the one I have now...)

Thanks!  Yeah on phones the look of the website changes, not so sure if that happens on tablets too.  I like the desktop look so much better.  I wish it would stay like that but wix is wix!

The portrait thing, I believe the other one I posted had me in a hat and smiling.  I actually put that one up first because I don't look so stuffy but then I realized that because it has a white background it blended in too much.  What I should try to do is frame that picture with a faint, small, black frame around it and see if that looks better.  I will try that now and see if it works. 

By the way, my website before looked like this:
https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YajhilAlvarez/250458_1519560258311062_9057121646638826888_n_zpsbbkokxwo.jpg

It was too dark and spooky so it didn't really represent me or my work.  I somehow didn't notice that till a few nights ago though.  That's when  went crazy and stayed up till 5am to change it :-)

Thanks for the feedback!  And yeah if you think you site needs an update do it.  It's a new year, woooooo lol.

Apr 10 15 03:30 pm Link