Forums > Photography Talk > Fine Art Portrait, Food and Product Photography

Photographer

Renaissance Fringe Arts

Vero Beach, Florida, US

I'm planning to get the Canon 5Dsr camera to take fine art portrait, food and product photo. Will this be a better choice over a medium format camera.

Apr 11 15 08:15 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

I am not sure how all of things are connected. 'Fine art' food photography doesn't sell plates.

Are you sure you don't just want to take really nice food and product shots?

Apr 11 15 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Edwin Z

Radom, Mazowieckie, Poland

If I have enough money to chose between Canon 50mpx and Digital MF AND enough money to buy equally best lenses AND lighting equipment that fits MF I definetly chose Digital Medium Format.
I work on some Phase One and Leaf systems and I Love it.

My suggestion is - borow or rent Hasselblad H4d for few hours and make few shots.
If that ait blow you away You can consider full frame sensor (which i doubt)

Apr 11 15 11:08 am Link

Photographer

Gary Livingston

Los Angeles, California, US

All of these sound like gigs you should be paid well to do the shoot. Well, minus the fine art portraiture...that's money on the backend from prints.

Why not just rent the camera/lens as necessary for the job and bill the client (with markup) the rental fees? 

There is no need to purchase a camera system unless you intend to be using it for your personal work constantly and renting would be less cost effective.

Apr 11 15 11:39 am Link

Photographer

Renaissance Fringe Arts

Vero Beach, Florida, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
I am not sure how all of things are connected. 'Fine art' food photography doesn't sell plates.

Are you sure you don't just want to take really nice food and product shots?

I shoot at least 1 fine picture every 8 months. I do fine art for print. I shoot food and product every week. I just want the camera for the high resolution.

Apr 12 15 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

Renaissance Fringe Arts

Vero Beach, Florida, US

Edwin Z wrote:
If I have enough money to chose between Canon 50mpx and Digital MF AND enough money to buy equally best lenses AND lighting equipment that fits MF I definetly chose Digital Medium Format.
I work on some Phase One and Leaf systems and I Love it.

My suggestion is - borow or rent Hasselblad H4d for few hours and make few shots.
If that ait blow you away You can consider full frame sensor (which i doubt)

I use phase one capture for fine art, food and product photography. I'm planning to rent both the canon 5dsr and Phase One 645D to see if they stand up. I have a project that want to get start...

Apr 12 15 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

Renaissance Fringe Arts

Vero Beach, Florida, US

Gary Livingston wrote:
All of these sound like gigs you should be paid well to do the shoot. Well, minus the fine art portraiture...that's money on the backend from prints.

Why not just rent the camera/lens as necessary for the job and bill the client (with markup) the rental fees? 

There is no need to purchase a camera system unless you intend to be using it for your personal work constantly and renting would be less cost effective.

Planning to use for paid jobs. I was planning to bill the cost of a new body with paid jobs. So, over time it will pay for itself.

Apr 12 15 07:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Fine Beauty Studio wrote:
...I shoot food and product every week..

Richard I assist some of the top commercial Food Photographers in my market...  Without exception they all rely on tilt/shift optics...  their camera is but a minor concern in their image equation...

I just want the camera for the high resolution.

Why?  Do you have a client who has not found your current product acceptable owning to resolution?  None of my clients ever have mentioned the aforementioned, in fact I assist a highly successful commercial shooter who works with a 12.5 Megapixel capture device... And he has more work than he can handle alone...

Best advice?  Since you are attending the Art Institute of Pittsburgh-Online Division it might be more appropriate and germane to broach your query to those instructors...  Mayhem is primarily the domain of hobbyist who more oft than not are rather naive on the realities of the commercial side of the equation...

btw,  Canon's TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Tilt-Shift Lens is superb.... no compelling reason to go into medium format to work in the commercial food arena at this juncture...  As for resolution, believe Nikon still owns that aspect with their D800/810 series and Nikon's glass is legendary in the Tilt-Shift Len market... Believe your instructors will affirm that for commercial food the lion's share of your start-up cost with be in Tilt-Shift optics... and a full frame DSLR is more than adequate...

Hope this helps...
All the best on your journey...

Apr 13 15 06:56 am Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

I would wait until you see a clear resolution comparison side by side between a MF camera system and the 5Dsr with the lenses and ISOs common for your work. Anything else is pure speculation and a complete waste of time. As a pro food and commercial photographer, I can tell you that none of my clients need ultra high resolution photos.   Only my architectural clients need anything ultra high res.

Apr 13 15 08:33 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I think for me the biggest need for a MF on product photography was tilt shift lens, but cannon solved that years ago.  The second question is dynamic range, MF is still better for shooting tone on tone - if you shoot it often it may well be worth price (Pentax 645 is not too expensive).

Apr 14 15 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

Nakrani Studios

Apex, North Carolina, US

I can take award winning food and fine art photo's with an Iphone if:

1. I know how to use the camera in the Iphone
2. I have the correct lighting
3. I know how to compose the photo
4. (The food is fresh and not old or stale)

As far as the differences between the the DSLR or the Medium Format camera, the optics are different, People in the business will be able to tell what you shot the photo with. Medium format has a certain look to it that the Canon won't get you.

Apr 14 15 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

The way I see it is if a decent or even a top notch DSLR isn't enough for my talents, and, if a medium format will give me that extra image (print) real-estate i REALLY NEED, then go for the MF.

People tend to waist good money on upgraded equipment that will give them the same results if they still shoot the same as they did with their DSLR. DSLR sensors are more than adequate for a majority of your photography needs.

Cameras are tools, expensive tools at that... will a new MF system justify your "needs" or your "wants"?
Will it give you the larger prints you "need" or are you going to post online?
Things to think about.

I personally ditched my Nikon DSLRs and went the opposite route with Mirrorless (Fujifilm X).
The only MF I still use however is my two classic Hasselblad 503cx 6x6 120 film format, nothing can touch that look those cameras give me and that included the digital versions, which is why I still hang on to them.

Apr 14 15 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

still-photography

Bothell, Washington, US

I'm planning to get the Canon 5Dsr camera to take fine art portrait, food and product photo. Will this be a better choice over a medium format camera.

I read your profile.  Hopefully you have met manny light-minded people here!

There is no way to answer your question without seeing your food and product portfolio.  Without knowing your level of skill, recommending a camera system is just guess work.  If I had to make a guess, I'd say whatever camera you are presently using is adequate.

Apr 16 15 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

It won't.

Apr 16 15 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

JGC Photography

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Rent a medium format to see what you are getting in to.
Image quality of of course better than an SLR, but the big difference is the look.
The look is definitely the most understated upside of medium format.

Mamiya, Schneider, Hartblei make T/S lenses or you can go with a view camera conversion like a Rollei Exact....None inexpensive.

You still want a DSLR camera to work along side a medium format.
I assume you will be shooting other things than food since you are talking medium format...paying the system off with food...will taken 150,000 years. smile

Apr 18 15 03:45 pm Link