Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Happy Tax Day, Everybody!

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Today is April 15th, the day that taxes are due (in the USA).  Although extensions are possible, pretty much all of us are done with our responsibilities.

Feel free to tell your (sob?) story here -- it's your last chance to rant about taxes for the year.  After this thread, you are no longer allowed to talk about taxes until next year, so says I (who has not authority to say so).

Apr 15 15 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I mailed the stuff to do four of mine to the accountant a month ago, and asked that the other three (including my personal one) have extensions filed on.

Called him on Monday since I hadn't gotten anything back from him yet... he said they're all too complicated and intertwined so he filed extensions on the whole bunch of them. So, I'll deal with it again in a few weeks I guess.

I'm going to owe a nice chunk, mainly because of a big California refund last year from what they over-withheld the year before that (when you sell a property in CA they withhold as if the entire sale price was gain, which of course it never is)... so it takes a couple years of back and forth to straighten back out again.

UGH.

Apr 15 15 11:41 am Link

Model

JadeDRed

London, England, United Kingdom

I do mine at the beginning of the year.

Apr 15 15 11:56 am Link

Photographer

R80

Marceline, Missouri, US

Got our refund about a month ago.  Still have refund money left.  WHOO Hooo!

Apr 15 15 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I had a little fun.

I've been open that I am a music publisher, and on occasion, I've shared that my sister & I have purchased my father's music catalog (as writer & publisher) in the 90s (after my father was diagnosed with Alzheimers.  One more tidbit of info:  we incorporated in my sister's home state, which was more friendly to our business than my home state at the time.  So for almost 25 years, I've been paying state tax in my sister's home state, and usually, I get a moderate refund from that state.

This year, I get a letter from her home state asking me to prove my identity by sending them a copy of my drivers license and a utility bill with my name/address on it.  I was annoyed -- I had been paying into their tax collection plate for over 2 decades!

So, the fun part?  I called the phone number they provided in the letter & asked them to prove their identity before I mailed them my identity "proof".  That was fun.

(Not germane to the story -- it was less costly for me to pay out-of-state state income tax than to "register" our business in my home state, and the money I "earned" in my sister's state doesn't count towards my home state's income tax).

Apr 15 15 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

Santa Barbara, California, US

Turbo Tax-

E-Filed the Feds a couple of months back.

Refund in about a week and a half.

State, hard copy, off today.

Apr 15 15 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Schlake

Socorro, New Mexico, US

I got my federal refund early the first week of February.  I hadn't bothered to file my state taxes yet by then, but I did them just after and got that refund still in early February.

Apr 15 15 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Since 2010, when the republicans gained control of the appropriate committees in Congress, the federal government has reduced the size of the IRS by some 13,000 employees.  I've also heard that because of this, the number of tax audits has gone 'way down.

That being said, a buddy of mine is being audited for 2012.  She worked in NYC as a photo-tech for some big photography shoots, and based on "advice" she heard from co-workers, she declared that 80% of her apartment was a home office.  Those of us that know, that is a red flag for the IRS.  A home office is the space in your home that is used exclusively for work, so if you put your laptop on your breakfast nook table, you can't declare your breakfast nook as a home office.  And of course, the logistics are terrible for her -- she's spending the year in Nicaragua learning Spanish, and her records are stored in NYC, and her record keeping is a tad less than average. 

She's having a tough time.

Watch this space for a GoFundMe campaign.

Apr 16 15 08:07 am Link

Photographer

Schlake

Socorro, New Mexico, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
That being said, a buddy of mine is being audited for 2012.  She worked in NYC as a photo-tech for some big photography shoots, and based on "advice" she heard from co-workers, she declared that 80% of her apartment was a home office.  Those of us that know, that is a red flag for the IRS.

I stick to the 1040EZ, or if I absolutely have to, the 1040.  I've never taken anything except the standard deduction.  I'm 44 years old, and I've been audited FOUR TIMES.

Of the four times, three of the checks the IRS cut me for overpayment were so small I never bothered to cash them.  The other one was about $400 or so, and I cashed it.

Apr 16 15 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

That being said, a buddy of mine is being audited for 2012.  She worked in NYC as a photo-tech for some big photography shoots, and based on "advice" she heard from co-workers, she declared that 80% of her apartment was a home office.  Those of us that know, that is a red flag for the IRS.

Schlake wrote:
I stick to the 1040EZ, or if I absolutely have to, the 1040.  I've never taken anything except the standard deduction.  I'm 44 years old, and I've been audited FOUR TIMES.

I've oversimplified my buddy's problems with the IRS -- she had very bad advice from colleagues, including deducting way too much for transportation, entertainment, meals, etc.  Worse, she had her tax returns professionally done, and her accountant didn't catch these obvious issues.  She's screwed.

My tax returns were & are very complicated.  At one point, I was living & working in one state, had rental properties here in this state, and the music business in a third state -- I was filing tax returns in three states.  Nowadays, I am self-employed (and the government doesn't like self-employed people, it seems).  I've got a graduate computer science degree and am fairly intelligent, but I admit that I don't fully understand my returns (but close enough).  But my returns create a stack that is over an inch tall, comprising hundreds of pages.

Sorry, but I've never been audited. 

Why were you audited?  What set the IRS off?

Apr 16 15 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I got another buddy is plays keyboard in a "middle-tier" band that does a lot of touring.  He has to file a state tax return in every state he performs in.  What a hassle!  Things get even more complicated when he tours out of the country.

Apr 16 15 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Schlake

Socorro, New Mexico, US

Sorry, but I've never been audited. 

Why were you audited?  What set the IRS off?

I have no idea.  I'd think a 1040/1040EZ with the standard deduction would be the least suspicious tax submission in existance!  The fact that every time they found out I've overpayed should have discouraged them too.  The $400 overpayment was the first one, from 1988.  After that it was just a couple of bucks each time, but they printed checks for me!

Apr 16 15 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Be careful what you say in here, the IRS may target you.

Apr 16 15 10:30 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Schlake wrote:

Of the four times, three of the checks the IRS cut me for overpayment were so small I never bothered to cash them.  The other one was about $400 or so, and I cashed it.

Chuckles. You are either not being truthful, or there is an ongoing issue you are not telling us about.

Apr 16 15 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Chuckarelei wrote:
Be careful what you say in here, the IRS may target you.

Ummmmm, sir, could you speak a little louder please (our lowest-bid hidden microphones don't work all that great).

Apr 16 15 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

I've got a graduate computer science degree and am fairly intelligent, but I admit that I don't fully understand my returns

As you well know, I love to take a good-natured (at least that has always been my intent) pot-shot at you once in a while. Time to switch gears to keep you off-balance.

You get a freebie.

I worked at IRS for 25 years and don't understand my (simple) returns **at all** so you're doing better than I. tongue

Apr 16 15 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Schlake

Socorro, New Mexico, US

Lohkee wrote:

Chuckles. You are either not being truthful, or there is an ongoing issue you are not telling us about.

No, I'm being serious.  I've had a couple of times that I had to file a 1040 instead of an EZ, but in general I have nothing special to declare on anything.  My standard deduction is far beyond any real deductions I've ever had.  I have no idea why they picked on me.

Apr 16 15 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Schlake wrote:
No, I'm being serious.  I've had a couple of times that I had to file a 1040 instead of an EZ, but in general I have nothing special to declare on anything.  My standard deduction is far beyond any real deductions I've ever had.  I have no idea why they picked on me.

O.K. I'm bored. I'll play for a little while before my nap time. What CP notices did you get?

Apr 16 15 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Schlake

Socorro, New Mexico, US

Lohkee wrote:

O.K. I'm bored. I'll play for a little while. What CP notices did you get?

I have no idea what a CP notice is, but what I'd get would be a giant envelope from the IRS stuffed with papers.  Inside it would tell me that I had been audited and give the results (lots of pages).  If I agreed with the results, I should sign it and mail it back.  After I did, they would mail me a check, since they always said I had overpaid.

Apr 16 15 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Schlake wrote:
I have no idea what a CP notice is, but what I'd get would be a giant envelope from the IRS stuffed with papers.  Inside it would tell me that I had been audited and give the results (lots of pages).  If I agreed with the results, I should sign it and mail it back.  After I did, they would mail me a check, since they always said I had overpaid.

ROTFLMFFAO. So, what you want us to believe is that that you have been audited four times because you PAID MORE TAXES than you actually owed?

Oh yeah, and that is not the way audits are conducted. I tried to give you a clue (CP notices). I don't believe a word of what you say.

Please, do yourself a huge favor and stop while you are (way) behind.

Apr 16 15 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Lohkee wrote:
I worked at IRS for 25 years and don't understand my (simple) returns **at all** so you're doing better than I. tongue

I read/heard somewhere (I think it was John Oliver & "Last Week Tonight") that the tax code gets maybe 500+ changes in a year, and that the code now encompasses something like 65,000 pages.

That's part of what makes a Flat Tax or a Federal sales tax appealing to me.

Apr 16 15 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Tax Day in not a happy day for most people!

Apr 16 15 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

All paid n spent.

Apr 16 15 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

The Grey Forest

Igoumenítsa, Kentriki Ellada, Greece

7 years ago I walked into my U.S. local state IRS office, it was a bland grey, dimly lit office empty of any color with a subtle staff and their joyless faces. It was the middle of the afternoon and I took a number and was oddly left waiting for over 1/2 hour even though there was no-one else waiting and my ticket read "01" ~ finally, a boxed cubicle door opened across the waiting area where I was sitting, peculiarly designed like a cardboard prison cell in a vain effort to give the illusion of privacy.

I presented the agent with my valid Passport, State ID, permanent mailing address, phone number, DOB & SS number and parents full names, and sat patiently until he finished reviewing and entering the information into his database, being far too obvious that he was trying to angle the screen away from my prying eyes as I had purposely chosen to sit in a position that would help give me a privy view.

He asked dryly, "what can I help you with?" after sliding my ID and documents back to me.
I responded by making sure "You have all my information on file on your screen, right ?" wanting to make double sure there was no confusion or mistake on my data or if he had any unsolved questions to ask me.  The IRS agent nodded in response, stating bluntly "Yes."

I told him, "As of this date I no longer volunteer to pay any Federal Income Taxes." and I slowly sat back, looking him in the eyes and awaited his response.

He just gave me a long glassy stare that began to tickle the fine edge of awkward silence; and said "Okay," then reluctantly turned back to his screen and hit a few buttons.  I got up, walked out the door and have neither been requested; issued notice, nor had to pay FIT or ever heard from the US-IRS since.

True story

Apr 16 15 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

Schlake

Socorro, New Mexico, US

Lohkee wrote:

ROTFLMFFAO. So, what you want us to believe is that that you have been audited four times because you PAID MORE TAXES than you actually owed?

Oh yeah, and that is not the way audits are conducted. I tried to give you a clue (CP notices). I don't believe a word of what you say.

Please, do yourself a huge favor and stop while you are (way) behind.

Oh, yea, thanks.  It's good to know I'm a piece of human shit just because I got a scary overstuffed letter in the mail from the IRS and you're such an amazing expert at knowing my life that you know better than me what happened.  It's probably because I'm stupid right?  I'm so stupid I probably can't tie my fucking shoes in the morning without help from someone smart like you.  That's why I don't have any friends, and why everyone hates me.  It's why it's your so much more awesome than me and I need to just go die in a fucking fire so I stop wasting your precious air.

Apr 16 15 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

The Grey Forest wrote:
True story

Ummmm yeah. And I am so handsome (and hung  like a horse)  that all women on MM and elsewhere want to bed me (oh how I wish). Well, I suppose our fantasies are real for us in our dreams. Carry on (dreaming). Cute story, but clearly a lie as anyone with even minimal google powers can attest.

Apr 16 15 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Schlake wrote:
Oh, yea, thanks.  It's good to know I'm a piece of human shit just because I got a scary overstuffed letter in the mail from the IRS and you're such an amazing expert at knowing my life that you know better than me what happened.  It's probably because I'm stupid right?  I'm so stupid I probably can't tie my fucking shoes in the morning without help from someone smart like you.  That's why I don't have any friends, and why everyone hates me.  It's why it's your so much more awesome than me and I need to just go die in a fucking fire so I stop wasting your precious air.

Sigh. After 25 years of working for IRS, I think (perhaps delusionaly so) that what you describe is not the way we do business or ever have. You are not telling the truth. Period!

As for your last comment. we are in complete agreement. tongue

Apr 16 15 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

Santa Barbara, California, US

Relax, Lohkee-

The Mayhem Off-Topic Forum isn't the office?

Do you really want to put down an obese guy whose avatar is a T shirt and a g string made of leaves?

Do you think you're going to make him look bad?

Do you think you're going to make yourself look better than he?

Oh well.

Apr 16 15 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

The Grey Forest

http://ivn.us/2013/07/15/more-than-one- … ted-for-2/

Yes, true story, before I left the IRS office I requested a print-out of all my income tax paid to date on file taken from my wages.  The above link is one of the reasons I made that decision, and wished I had done so when I was 16 and gotten my first job.  Without slanting onto the political 'soapbox' here, all I can say in response is that I'm a firm believer of "No Taxation without Representation"

NB: the FSRS (Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act from 2006) was updated/amended several times, and finally we have the Digital Accountability and Transparency act of 2014 which is an glaring failure:
(ie: all smoke & mirrors)

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/2015/03/1 … nse-Budget

so when you say " Happy Tax Day ! Everybody = it most certainly is for me, after I chose not to be a part of the problem.  Jan of every year I write a 1 sentence letter to the IRS to let them know I'm still alive, where I'm at; and ask if they think I owe them anything ? = never a response.

Apr 16 15 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

Tax-day. Schmax-day. My wife bought me a new car on the 15th...

Apr 16 15 06:29 pm Link

Body Painter

Monad Studios

Santa Rosa, California, US

I owed $3 to the IRS, and I'm due a very small refund from the state.  My withholdings are fine-tuned.

Apr 16 15 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Monad Studios wrote:
I owed $3 to the IRS, and I'm due a very small refund from the state.  My withholdings are fine-tuned.

You won taxes.  Well done.

I was burning through my H&R Tax software on the 14th and got all finished and had 9 things that had to be fixed before it would let me file.  All 9 were about form 1095-A.  1095-A is the Obamacare form.  The form mailed to me, and the one you can download from Healthcare.gov was exactly the same, and those numbers I moved over to the Tax Filing software, but alas, still no good.

H&R has a handy chat tool where you can speak to a person who is supposed to know what they're doing.  On the 14th, it was ONLY a 55 minute wait to CHAT with someone.  I was on their phone line also in a race against time!

As it turns out, you have to find out (for yourself) how much the 2nd least expensive premium would be for you and put those values in your return.  Those numbers aren't on the forms they send you.  Really stupid, and something I discovered on my own while finally chatting with someone from H&R who didn't know how to fix my problem.  I find it odd that no one else had that problem since there was nothing to indicate where you were supposed to find those numbers that aren't on the paperwork the government sends you.

But, I suppose if it were efficient, it wouldn't be government.

Ron Swanson in 2016!!

Apr 16 15 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

R Bruce Duncan wrote:
Relax, Lohkee-

The Mayhem Off-Topic Forum isn't the office?

Do you really want to put down an obese guy whose avatar is a T shirt and a g string made of leaves?

Do you think you're going to make him look bad?

Do you think you're going to make yourself look better than he?

Oh well.

Chuckles. I am relaxed. I retired about 3 years ago. Oh yeah, relaxed I am.

I wasn't trying to put anyone down. He wears green leafy things. I actually think that's kind of cool. Dude has more balls than I do.  I respect him.

So, to the issue at hand . . . .

I am **not** an apologist for the IRS. Far from it. I don't like them.

but

I am an honest man (I'm really sorry about this).

Does the IRS fuck up? Yeppers. All the time.

But hey, don't believe me. Just go to TIGTA's website and read the audits for yourself.

That said, the blade cuts both ways.

I might not like my former employer; I might be completely thrilled to be now gone; but when I hear absolute BS, yeah, Ima gonna say it's BS.

It's just the way I roll.

Apr 16 15 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

The Grey Forest wrote:
7 years ago I walked into my U.S. local state IRS office, it was a bland grey, dimly lit office empty of any color with a subtle staff and their joyless faces. It was the middle of the afternoon and I took a number and was oddly left waiting for over 1/2 hour even though there was no-one else waiting and my ticket read "01" ~ finally, a boxed cubicle door opened across the waiting area where I was sitting, peculiarly designed like a cardboard prison cell in a vain effort to give the illusion of privacy.

I presented the agent with my valid Passport, State ID, permanent mailing address, phone number, DOB & SS number and parents full names, and sat patiently until he finished reviewing and entering the information into his database, being far too obvious that he was trying to angle the screen away from my prying eyes as I had purposely chosen to sit in a position that would help give me a privy view.

He asked dryly, "what can I help you with?" after sliding my ID and documents back to me.
I responded by making sure "You have all my information on file on your screen, right ?" wanting to make double sure there was no confusion or mistake on my data or if he had any unsolved questions to ask me.  The IRS agent nodded in response, stating bluntly "Yes."

I told him, "As of this date I no longer volunteer to pay any Federal Income Taxes." and I slowly sat back, looking him in the eyes and awaited his response.

He just gave me a long glassy stare that began to tickle the fine edge of awkward silence; and said "Okay," then reluctantly turned back to his screen and hit a few buttons.  I got up, walked out the door and have neither been requested; issued notice, nor had to pay FIT or ever heard from the US-IRS since.

True story

Only in your imagination.

Apr 16 15 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

The Grey Forest

... That being said:  as a former IRS agent/government employee = retired or otherwise, you must abide by a strict Confidentiality Agreement related to your former post, no ?

And as such, you can't be truly forthright or offer a level of Transparency that would be of honest value - calling BS or not per se.

Even if a given citizen forced a freedom of information act request through the courts, there is a huge list of Exemptions and Exclusions and secret Identifier codes that the IRS HQ in DC would keep hidden from a US tax paying civilian. (despite a court order) Thus, input from someone's whose hands are actually tied and muzzled from providing a greater range of exposure and insightful intellect to the IRS and its inner workings, (as in a former Agent or Staff) would in fact be of limited equity to us mere commoners.  Because, without illegally flouting that Confidentiality status ; you cannot be fully candid yourself. 

My educated guess is that you, yourself are aware of a great, great deal of "BS" within the IRS system that you are unable to speak of here.  Calling a spade to spade.

Apr 16 15 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

The Grey Forest wrote:
... That being said:  as a former IRS agent/government employee = retired or otherwise, you must abide by a strict Confidentiality Agreement related to your former post, no ?

Nope. Will I talk about IRS IT security? I could legally, but will not. Sorry.

The Grey Forest wrote:
And as such, you can't be truly forthright or offer a level of Transparency that would be of honest value - calling BS or not per se.

Chuckles. I have been forthright. I know this makes you (and people with an agenda) unhappy. I'm sorry.

The Grey Forest wrote:
Even if a given citizen forced a freedom of information act request through the courts, there is a huge list of Exemptions and Exclusions and secret Identifier codes that the IRS HQ in DC would keep hidden from a US tax paying civilians. (despite a court order) Thus, input from someone's whose hands are actually tied and muzzled from providing a greater range of exposure and insightful intellect to the IRS and its inner workings, would in fact be of limited equity to us mere commoners.

What would you like to know? Oh wait, you really don't want to know anything at all. You just want to tell a story and have people swallow it - hook - line- and sinker.

I'll be the first in line to admit that the IRS has fucked up (more than once). I'll be the last in line to buy your story. It's BS, pure and simple.

You don't even have to be an IRS employee to know this.

Google is your friend.

Apr 16 15 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

what kind of twisted mind says "happy tax day!" sheesh, if nothing else, commemorate the day with the whole jackie robinson thing.

gawd!

Apr 16 15 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

The Grey Forest

Q: In your opinion, with Obamacare inclusions; is the current Federal tax code a holy mess ?

Apr 16 15 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

The Grey Forest wrote:
Q: In your opinion, with Obamacare inclusions; is the current Federal tax code a holy mess ?

It was a mess before, and it's a mess now.

Around 10-ish years ago, when the IRS did a massive re-do to simplify things, a friend of mine who was an IRS agent (auditor) at the time commented that all the staff was calling it the Tax Preparer Full Employment Act.  The "simplification" moved some furniture around, covered old loopholes with material pulled from the new ones, etc. More complex than when they started.

And so it goes.

Apr 16 15 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Kevin Connery wrote:
It was a mess before, and it's a mess now.

Around 10-ish years ago, when the IRS did a massive re-do to simplify things, a friend of mine who was an IRS agent (auditor) at the time commented that all the staff was calling it the Tax Preparer Full Employment Act.  The "simplification" moved some furniture around, covered old loopholes with material pulled from the new ones, etc. More complex than when they started.

And so it goes.

Can you please post a link to this imaginary act? Please? Not to worry, I won't be holding my breath.

Apr 16 15 10:07 pm Link