Forums > General Industry > No Tattoo Facebook Page

Photographer

John McInnes

Rockingham, Western Australia, Australia

Would anyone be interested in featuring in our facebook page dedicated to those with no tattoos, you're getting quite rare these days. It's a supply your own photo affair, so join us and celebrate a skin that is ink free.
Send your photo to www.facebook.com/cleanskinsOz
Cheers smile

Apr 16 15 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Really???   roll

Just checked it... apparently, you like the women's skin really clean/white, devoid of all color, so to speak!

Apr 16 15 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

Nico Simon Princely

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Unfortunately it is quite rare. I'm really over the excessive ink on women these days personally (especially when it's crappy work) and mostly the potential copyright issues. I still shoot models with tats every so often and small ones that I can remove are not a big deal... But yes I find clean skin on a woman a super turn on these days both personally and as a photographer. In-spite of my current Avatar...lol There are many factors I choose models for, but for some shoots I just can use a model with tats.

Once in awhile I will see some tats I actually like or feel enhances a model/person but it's rare for me. It all depends on the person and the tattoos and even the meaning behind them. I have shot a couple of models that actually liked their tattoos and thought it added to the images.

Ironically I have met a tattoo artist that doesn't like tats on women and he was covered in them...lol

Apr 16 15 05:12 pm Link

Body Painter

Airballin

Oakland, California, US

Love the idea! Nothing beats a nice blank canvas!!

Apr 16 15 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Airballin wrote:
Love the idea! Nothing beats a nice blank canvas!!

If you are talking about a blank canvas... you do know that the most vivid colors come when you have an underpainting with a different color, right?!?!?   evilgrin

Apr 16 15 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

Geni Photo

Phoenix, Arizona, US

My biggest beef with the models with tattoos is that when I do a search for a model with No tats, 50% of the models that come up, either LIED when they filled out their profile, or never changed the profile when they got their tats.  Very time consuming to bring up the profile of models that claim no tats and then have to search every image in their portfolio, only to discover they DO have tats!  I really feel that this is something that MM Admin should address in some way.

May 08 15 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

I'll admit I have mixed feelings about models with much art on their skin - primarily because it has a way of conflicting with wardrobe - like they come with clothing (and its patterns) that can't be removed.

But having said that - I find something oddly disturbingly and distasteful about your facebook page.

May 09 15 12:29 am Link

Photographer

barepixels

San Diego, California, US

some tats are wonderful.  truly a piece of art.  but that is rare on models  for me anyway

sadly i have been running into models who hates their tats.  most said they got it when they were young and being stupid.

May 09 15 07:36 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It's great that the artists who pay me to pose for them and draw/paint me give zero fucks about my tattoos and have never complained about them. They just keep rehiring me.

May 09 15 07:48 am Link

Model

Twila Jean

Davis, California, US

P I X I E wrote:
It's great that the artists who pay me to pose for them and draw/paint me give zero fucks about my tattoos and have never complained about them. They just keep rehiring me.

+1

May 09 15 11:31 am Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I have a similar project called Untouched Skin on Tumblr, but it's a little bit deeper than just no tattoos. It's meant to celebrate women who keep their skin unmodified (which also means no augmentation, scarification, or piercings aside from standard earrings which many children get before they have a choice). I also mainly focus on artistic and glamour nudes and lingerie (not fashion or clothing, etc), so mine is a bit different from yours which looks like more swimwear with some lingerie. I also do try to make it clear that my project is just like the many sites/pages/etc that celebrate "inked" or "modified" women, it's not meant to be against anyone. I also do my best to make sure I feature a variety of body types and skin colors. Unfortunately it can be more difficult to find models who aren't relatively slim and Caucasian, but I've found a few blogs I follow that do share those photos and eventually I'd like to be completely reblogging photos from blogs run by the models and photographers themselves (versus collections and finds from "fans").

http://untouchedskinblog.tumblr.com (NSFW)
(And yes, submissions are welcome, I only reblog and post submissions, I don't upload anything myself)

I think it's lovely to celebrate different types of beauty, but I do think it's important to be mindful of how it's presented. As a model who has chosen not to get tattoos, it's nice to be celebrated and featured too. I know that probably sounds like crazy talk to some, but in the sorts of modeling I do "alt" models are a huge deal so it's a bit hard to compete when you're a bit more "plain." Anyway, how have you found is the best way to encourage submissions to the page? Have you thought about trying a Tumblr which would have less restrictions than Facebook? It might be worth a thought ^_^ I'd love to know how you handle those who see your page as "anti-tattoo" as well. That's something I've had to navigate a couple times and if you've got any tips that would be great!

May 10 15 04:02 pm Link

Model

Mr. Tengu

New York, New York, US

John McInnes wrote:
Would anyone be interested in featuring in our facebook page dedicated to those with no tattoos, you're getting quite rare these days. It's a supply your own photo affair, so join us and celebrate a skin that is ink free.
Cheers smile

I am interested!

May 10 15 04:28 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:
I'll admit I have mixed feelings about models with much art on their skin - primarily because it has a way of conflicting with wardrobe - like they come with clothing (and its patterns) that can't be removed.

But having said that - I find something oddly disturbingly and distasteful about your facebook page.

I like your post.
Jen
P.s. and of course I like Udor: Mr. Tengu too!

May 10 15 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

DwLPhoto

Palo Alto, California, US

udor wrote:
If you are talking about a blank canvas... you do know that the most vivid colors come when you have an underpainting with a different color, right?!?!?   evilgrin

Assuming you're serious, tattoos are under the "canvas."  Most people don't paint on the back of the canvas

May 10 15 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

udor wrote:

DwLPhoto wrote:
Assuming you're serious, tattoos are under the "canvas."  Most people don't paint on the back of the canvas

Yeppers!

My point, humorously uttered above, is about the statement that the anti-tattoo crowd always makes "I like my canvas blank"...

As a painter, I was pointing out that the artists who are using canvases, usually don't use a simple white or blank "canvas", but first applying a darker underpainting and hence... not using a blank canvas at all, so that the colors later on are more vivid.

Below is an example of a work in progress that shows the white canvas, then the underpainting (burned umber) and then the actual painting being applied on top.... so, yeah, I am serious about that!  smile

https://scontent-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10996347_449600011873784_8520112225452334472_n.jpg?oh=f3b1cb5864f7a905c55eaca5c603511e&oe=55D027AA

May 11 15 12:26 am Link

Artist/Painter

JJMiller

Buffalo, New York, US

The color of the initial canvas surface depends highly on the medium/technique. Transparent mediums benefit greatly from a white background. If one is doing watercolor, airbrush, even oils in a very layered glazed method having the white preserved is important. Me, I'm a pretty heavy handed painter, I've painted over old paintings and painted on pristine white, it doesn't matter- it all gets covered up. In Udor's example above it looks like the underpainting will all be buried beneath opaque color.

There are instances where underpainting color can enhance the top colors, for example some landscape painters paint red under the green of foliage and that makes it pop quite nicely.

May 11 15 07:09 am Link

Model

Julia Steel

Sylvania, Ohio, US

Hurray! My kind is finally being accepted!

May 11 15 11:55 am Link

Photographer

DeanLautermilch

Sebring, Florida, US

Living in south Florida it is common to see ink smears on people. The sun, time, and ink injecting at the wrong skin level creates a mess.

I only do 'natural' woman. No ink, implants, or piercings besides ear ear rings.

May 11 15 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

udor wrote:

udor wrote:

Yeppers!

My point, humorously uttered above, is about the statement that the anti-tattoo crowd always makes "I like my canvas blank"...

As a painter, I was pointing out that the artists who are using canvases, usually don't use a simple white or blank "canvas", but first applying a darker underpainting and hence... not using a blank canvas at all, so that the colors later on are more vivid.

Below is an example of a work in progress that shows the white canvas, then the underpainting (burned umber) and then the actual painting being applied on top.... so, yeah, I am serious about that!  smile

https://scontent-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10996347_449600011873784_8520112225452334472_n.jpg?oh=f3b1cb5864f7a905c55eaca5c603511e&oe=55D027AA

Ah, but you're talking about texturing to establish an interesting base to support (not conflict with) the final work, not painting over a completed canvas (for example, inserting a bosomy blond into "Starry Night).  In that instance, the artist is indeed starting with a blank canvas, then adding a texture that will ultimately support (we hope) the final work, much as a MUA does, before the costumer adds further detail, and the photographer finishes with lighting the scene and the subject to record the assembled picture.

The problem with tattoos, whether inspired artwork in themselves or the crudest "gangsta" inking, is that under the best of circumstances they require either hiding or incorporating into the final picture, thus to a greater or lesser degree changing the final picture, and under the worst of circumstances, when they can be neither hidden nor incorporated, completely eliminate any chance of getting a decent picture using the artist/photographer's vision.  To be fair though, I have seen pictures where the only thing making the picture interesting was the tattoo, so I can't say that they are always a bad thing.
sad

All IMHO as always, of course.

May 11 15 01:14 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

JeffPetersonPhotography wrote:
My biggest beef with the models with tattoos is that when I do a search for a model with No tats, 50% of the models that come up, either LIED when they filled out their profile, or never changed the profile when they got their tats.  Very time consuming to bring up the profile of models that claim no tats and then have to search every image in their portfolio, only to discover they DO have tats!  I really feel that this is something that MM Admin should address in some way.

That is a VERY new profile feature. I think it was only added last year - it was probably six months before I even realized I was a new feature that needed to be updated.

Some people are probably not aware it has been added.

The default seeing on it is "no," so you have to go in and manually change it - pretty hard to do when you never realized it was there.

May 11 15 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Why is a group for ink-free models considered distasteful?

May 11 15 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

May 11 15 01:42 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Alannah The Stylist

Los Angeles, California, US

udor wrote:
Really???   roll

Just checked it... apparently, you like the women's skin really clean/white, devoid of all color, so to speak!

haha.

May 11 15 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Personality Imaging

Hoover, Alabama, US

Nice idea!  I  prefer it too.  I  shoot very little these days because of this problem.   Just a personal preference a I shoot what I like.

May 11 15 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Joel Sax

TRABUCO CANYON, California, US

John McInnes wrote:
Cheers smile

I don't much care for tattoos either.  It is becoming its own genre.

I wonder how long it will take for the fad to pass?

May 12 15 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Joel Sax wrote:

I don't much care for tattoos either.  It is becoming its own genre.

I wonder how long it will take for the fad to pass?

If history is an indication of the future... considering that tattoos are tens of thousands of years old..., you could expect this fad might be starting to fade away the earliest in the year 12,015 C.E. around May...

Although... anthropologists predict that tattoos will outlast prejudice against tattoos...    evilgrin

May 12 15 09:33 pm Link

Body Painter

Airballin

Oakland, California, US

udor wrote:

I can't speak for you. But I make my living as a full time painter. It's all I do, it's all I've ever done.  And as an artist, I don't want any canvas with existing art on it.  When I go to the art store, I buy blank white canvases. If I need an under painting, I'm going to apply my own, not work over another artist work.  If I'm painting on skin, I don't want another artist artwork in my artwork/photo competing for or distracting from the art that I am trying to do and present, and it's less work for me if I don't have to try to cover or hide some models tattoo.  And I think pretty much any other artist would agree with the fact that "nothing beats a blank canvas".  When I create art,  I'm showcasing my work, not another artist work. That's why "nothing beats a blank canvas" in my reality.

Not tattoo bashing, just sayin!!

May 12 15 09:52 pm Link