Forums > General Industry > Outdoor Model Shoots what's allowed in Toronto?

Photographer

WAM Photography

Milton, Ontario, Canada

Hello guys,

I have been pulling my hair trying to figure this out. Are we not allowed to shoot around GTA in Public parks without permit?

If i take my model with me and a light stand and camera. Would I be stopped?

Apr 17 15 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

Virtual Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Apr 17 15 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Virtual Studio wrote:
http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/conte … d60f89RCRD

3 second google cure for baldness

Do you really think the OP's planning a commercial shooting with just one speedlight & model?

Apr 17 15 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

Virtual Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Images by MR wrote:

Do you really think the OP's planning a commercial shooting with just one speedlight & model?

Then the power of "looking at the menu on the left of the page" will give him an exhaustive list of things he needs a permit for.

But why not??? - I've seen plenty of people making money doing commercial shoots for less. $150 a set for 4 headshots to go on Ashley Madison or Plenty of Fish or Tinder or similar. Allen Gardens is a favourite (and very good) location for this.

Apr 17 15 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

WAM Photography

Milton, Ontario, Canada

I did a shoot in Marie curtis park in Etobicoke, in the woods. No one came to me but I guess i got lucky that day.
Any suggestion of same kind of spots around?

Apr 17 15 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Toronto Parks Photography Policy
http://npac.ca/forums/index.php?topic=4760.0          (read this)

§608-47. Filming and videotaping.
"While in a park, no person shall take or permit to be taken for remuneration any film, photograph, videotape or television broadcast unless permitted under the City’s film by-law and authorized by permit from the Toronto Film and Television Office."

Highlites ----
"I've always found it much easier to work on private property"
"I was once harassed by bylaw officer for not having a photo permit when I was simply taking a shortcut through a park to get to my car and my cameras were dangling from my shoulders."
"I think the public needs to know they can't even photograph their own children at *any* parks and rec. facility (presumably this includes all outdoor parks?) without prior permission. Even then they must make sure no one else is in the photo. And, the city must record their name"
"Just to make it fun, the Toronto Film+TV Office won't deal with still photographers unless it's a really big commercial project. So where do you get a (non-wedding) photo permit? Ha!"

Your Rights as a Photographer in Toronto
http://www.blogto.com/city/2007/07/your … n_toronto/    (see comments)

neighboring jurisdiction --
CITY OF VAUGHAN Photography Permits By-Law
https://www.vaughan.ca/cityhall/by_laws … 7-2006.pdf

Apr 17 15 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

Erlinda

London, England, United Kingdom

I'm from Toronto and never had an issue when I shot in parks/beaches. If someone does stop you they will ask if it's commercial/paid work and you can just say no I'm a hobbyist or it's for your portfolio. That usually works from what friends have shared with me.

Best of luck on your shoot and have fun! smile

Apr 17 15 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Virtual Studio wrote:

Then the power of "looking at the menu on the left of the page" will give him an exhaustive list of things he needs a permit for.

But why not??? - I've seen plenty of people making money doing commercial shoots for less. $150 a set for 4 headshots to go on Ashley Madison or Plenty of Fish or Tinder or similar. Allen Gardens is a favourite (and very good) location for this.

The same rules apply in Vancouver when shooting commercial projects, but when doing something like the OP described you don't need any permit.    I've shot here in Stanley park before without any permit or problems... even had a park ranger help with my lighting once.

Apr 17 15 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

WAM Photography

Milton, Ontario, Canada

Thanks everyone. You have all been such a great help.

Apr 18 15 11:34 am Link