Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > when old geezers do it right

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

do yourself a favor and skip ahead to 49:00 of this video. one of the greatest rock songs i ever saw live, and even as grandpas, they still (as of 2012) still did it well.

and god bless plant (even though i always hated him as a singer) for not allowing this fantastic band to become another eagles, and be in perpetual "greatest hits" touring mode.

always leave them wanting more...always.

no quarter was the greatest live stadium rock tune ever written. and god bless jason bonham, for getting it as close as you can to the spirit of his pops on the drums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHaqS3Ccc78

Apr 19 15 01:12 am Link

Photographer

Al Lock Photography

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

First time I saw Led Zeppelin, it was at the Fillmore East. They were opening for Iron Butterfly. Second time I saw them was in 1977 at the Silverdome on their final American tour.

One of the greatest bands to ever play. Putting one of the truly great guitarists of all time with maybe the best drummer ever and a extraordinarily talented musician who played bass (and everything else) along with an amazingly great front man.

Long Live ZEP!

Apr 19 15 02:10 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Al Lock Photography wrote:
Second time I saw them was in 1977 at the Silverdome on their final American tour.

Wait....I don't remember seeing you there. wink

Apr 19 15 06:31 am Link

Photographer

Al Lock Photography

Cherrystone wrote:

Wait....I don't remember seeing you there. wink

Close to 80,000 people... hell, I'm not sure I saw the band...but I did hear them

Apr 19 15 09:59 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

The fillmore east?? I didn't see you there either!

Apr 20 15 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

Tropic Light

Kailua, Hawaii, US

Five times I saw Led Zep.  Two of them had historic significance.  The riot concert in St. Louis was mine-boggling.  They kept playing well past their appointed time.  Then the house lights came on, and they kept playing.  Each member was doing 20-minute solos.  Then the cops came onstage and ordered them to stop, and they refused.  It was surreal.  Finally, they cut the power to the stage, and then all hell broke loose.  Luckily, me and my crew were in the balcony, and we got to observe the insanity without getting into the fracas. 

I also attended a Day on the Green in Oakland when LZ refused to take the stage until Bill Graham agreed to drop a lawsuit threat.  During intermission, the LZ road crew had gotten into a brutal backstage fight with Graham's people and had done some damage.  They eventually took the stage after us fans had been baking in the sun for three hours.

My most memorable time was that day at Oakland Coliseum when they had the stage above the center field wall.  Me and my crew were on the warning track about 20 feet away as they did an acoustic set sitting on stools at the front of the stage with Jimmy Page on mandolin.  That was their last US concert from the 70's.  They were scheduled to play in LA after that on the tour, but Robert Plant's son died in an accident in England and the last two shows were canceled.  I still have the t-shirt.

Apr 21 15 12:34 am Link

Photographer

Al Lock Photography

The F-Stop wrote:
The fillmore east?? I didn't see you there either!

I was probably the youngest person in the crowd and you were probably too high to remember...

Apr 21 15 01:06 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

Al Lock Photography wrote:

I was probably the youngest person in the crowd and you were probably too high to remember...

Mmmmm you may be right! The youngest there?... Maybe i did see you?  The chick in the tie dye n sandles? Debbie is that you????

Hahaha

Apr 21 15 06:12 am Link

Photographer

Al Lock Photography

The F-Stop wrote:

Mmmmm you may be right! The youngest there?... Maybe i did see you?  The chick in the tie dye n sandles? Debbie is that you????

Hahaha

LOL - I was the kid (and I mean kid - young teen) that was younger than Debbie! Wearing jeans and a bright silk shirt...

Apr 21 15 06:19 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

Ah we were all fkn kidz then. What great shows. The garden had some monster concerts too.

Skinny ass kid in jeans with hair in a pony!

Woodstock!

Apr 21 15 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

These guys are the epitome of Rock.
They're my favorite band ever.
I was too young to have seen them live but vowed to see them when they were to return to the states on a tour.
Unfortunately Bonham died and it ended.
I was not happy at all.
Their music will live forever.

Apr 21 15 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

I must object.

"Old geezer" is redundant.

The F-Stop wrote:
Woodstock!

The 14 million of us who were there.

Apr 22 15 09:35 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

Justin wrote:
I must object.

And only a few actually remember it! Ffffffft hit?

Apr 22 15 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Al Lock Photography

Justin wrote:
I must object.

Not me!!

Only time I ever went to anything in Woodstock was for a Jazz festival in the early 90s... the only person of note there was Carlos Santana (not the band, just Carlos). He played some very cool jazz that was nothing like the music most people know him for.

Apr 23 15 12:35 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

saw 'em in '73, and '75. i was way too young to be taking the train to nyc, but the hell if i was going to not see them. went with some older pals, so all was good. but tooling around midtown manhattan in those days was nothing like it is now. it was the "dark days" for the old town. smile i liked it better then.

and...after viewing the whole show linked, they actually played very well. of course--as is standard in most 'official' lz live releases--they did some cut and paste editing for the final product. but there are plenty of videos shot that night to show that it's pretty close to how it went down.

Apr 23 15 03:39 pm Link