Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Facebook being idiotic

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Amherst, Massachusetts, US

Is it just me today? I just went to sign in (it logged me out), and to log back in, I have to confirm my facebook ID (it's my real name with the words-photography on the end of it because I already took my other full name), they're asking for a bank statement, credit card, check, drivers license, etc from me. I need to take a photo of it and upload it to them to look at

I like keeping in touch with my friends on FB, and my family, but there's no way in HELL i'm giving them any ID information in anyway.

Anyone else get that today? I am completely PO'd. Thank heavens I don't get business through my FB -- and I hope they get their heads out of their asses!

Apr 22 15 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

The Grey Forest

Igoumenítsa, Kentriki Ellada, Greece

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1032121/pg1

maybe that link might answer your question:

please be advised that FACEBOOK directly data mines your person information for the FBI / CIA & NSA
(its the digital KGB for the United States for surveillance)  ie: its a Government controlled website

before you choose to continue to use Facebook you should seriously review the following links and keep in mind that you cannot EVER truly close or delete your Facebook account and your data will always remain on file.

http://www.cnet.com/news/facebook-ceo-m … about-nsa/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqc2gOGY7hM

Facebook needs access to: ~ your entire life so we may spy on your every move...
https://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/qk54138acc.png

Apr 22 15 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I got the same thing just now.
Can't log in until I upload some ID.
I use Blue MoonPics for facebook since I only use it to connect with models and others in the photography business.
Everybody in this business knows me by this name.

I don't think I want to give them my real name.
Don't know but I might never use facebook again unless this changes.

Edit:  I might not mind giving them my real name as long as it's not public and that I can keep my photography name up so people can find and remember me.  Models seem to remember me by my BlueMoon name and not by my real name.

Apr 22 15 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

they made me change my name once by locking me out.

Apr 22 15 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Maxximages

Los Angeles, California, US

Are you sure it is facebook?  I just tried mine and no problem. Once in a while I get spam claiming to be Facebook, have never opened it to find out what it is for.

Apr 22 15 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

Facebook's policy on using real names is well documented in the TOS and enforced.  Its up to you to decide if you want to agree or not.  You can provide some of your ID info with critical numbers blacked out and see if they will accept.

Apr 22 15 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Maxximages wrote:
Are you sure it is facebook?  I just tried mine and no problem. Once in a while I get spam claiming to be Facebook, have never opened it to find out what it is for.

It's likely Facebook.  They're well known for being unfriendly to people using anything other than their real names on their profiles.  It poses real problems for many people, especially models who use pseudonyms for privacy reasons.

Apr 22 15 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Stephoto Photography wrote:
Is it just me today? I just went to sign in (it logged me out), and to log back in, I have to confirm my facebook ID (it's my real name with the words-photography on the end of it because I already took my other full name), they're asking for a bank statement, credit card, check, drivers license, etc from me. I need to take a photo of it and upload it to them to look at

I like keeping in touch with my friends on FB, and my family, but there's no way in HELL i'm giving them any ID information in anyway.

Anyone else get that today? I am completely PO'd. Thank heavens I don't get business through my FB -- and I hope they get their heads out of their asses!

Happened to me last year in July... I used "Udor Fotography" since I started to use FB..., because "udor' is my artist name and I don't use a last name in combination... so... Udor Fotography it was... and then I got locked out, just like you did and was forced to convert to a page. They didn't give me any chance to object or to explain... as a result... I now have a page Udor Photography and a FB name "Udor Rothenko", which is not my legal name... but... comes close enough... and I use "Udor Fotography" as my "nick name", so I still can be found when people searching for my old profile, as it is on my business card.

They will let you download all your information, contacts, images and posts, instructions will be provided... However, not one single person explained how to retrieve and incorporate the info into any new profile... not even how to access it... people think that this must be some FB bullshit strategy to appease the person whose data is being killed off.

Btw., as a result of the conversion, I have lost over 2,200 industry contacts, every single post, like or comment I have ever made, all gone!

They suck, and I wish you all the best and good luck!

Hope it works out for you better than it did for me.

Apr 22 15 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

udor wrote:

Happened to me last year in July... I used "Udor Fotography" since I started to use FB..., because "udor' is my artist name and I don't use a last name in combination... so... Udor Fotography it was... and then I got locked out, just like you did and was forced to convert to a page. They didn't give me any chance to object or to explain... as a result... I now have a page Udor Photography and a FB name "Udor Rothenko", which is not my legal name... but... comes close enough... and I use "Udor Fotography" as my "nick name", so I still can be found when people searching for my old profile, as it is on my business card.

They will let you download all your information, contacts, images and posts, instructions will be provided... However, not one single person explained how to retrieve and incorporate the info into any new profile... not even how to access it... people think that this must be some FB bullshit strategy to appease the person whose data is being killed off.

Btw., as a result of the conversion, I have lost over 2,200 industry contacts, every single post, like or comment I have ever made, all gone!

Beware of the cloud.

Apr 22 15 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

Beware of the cloud.

???

Not sure what you mean, Jerry. I am not using the cloud, AFAIK...

Apr 22 15 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

I'm sure as hell not giving them any information- over my dead body- and thank god none of my bookings ever come through facebook, BUT I just lost my way of keeping up with my family and their happenings!

Sadly, I am 100% sure that it's just facebook.

Even worse, I AM using my real name. It's Stephanie Pierce I just put a "-photography" at the end of it.

Thankfully I have an older account I can switch back to... but AUGH!

Apr 22 15 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

It's their sandbox and they can make their own rules.
I can choose not to play in there.

Apr 22 15 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

udor wrote:

Loki Studio wrote:
Facebook's policy on using real names is well documented in the TOS and enforced.  Its up to you to decide if you want to agree or not.  You can provide some of your ID info with critical numbers blacked out and see if they will accept.

The problem is, though, that I was using my real name ! There was no Alias to be had. I'm not even going to deal with it or try to get the old account back. So.... yeah.

if anyone wants to hang on FB still, here's my old account that i'm apparently going back to using...
https://www.facebook.com/StephanieAnnPierce

Apr 22 15 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

udor wrote:

???

Beware.  It might rain and damage your camera.

Apr 22 15 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

OMG you people.

Abovettopsecret and infowars are troll bait.

Does anyone actually believe half the shit on those sites?

Apr 22 15 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

The Grey Forest

http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/39847/cloud

The word "cloud" often refers to the Internet, and more precisely to some data center full of servers that is connected to the Internet

...where personal information of and about you will be stored foreverandeverandeverandeverandeverrrrrr....

Apr 22 15 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

udor wrote:
???

What I mean is you putting your industry contacts on Facebook and losing them.

Apr 22 15 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Tonasket, Washington, US

John Photography wrote:
Does anyone actually believe half the shit on those sites?

Just the stuff FB admits to you would think would scare most people away smile

Apr 22 15 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Joel Sax

TRABUCO CANYON, California, US

Hasn't happened to me, yet, but I am shivering at the thought.

Apr 22 15 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Actually looked around to see if there was a way to call or contact facebook about it, but NOPE! Funny that they left my business page ( that I never use because it's useless) alone

Apr 23 15 04:37 am Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

udor wrote:

People seem to be not understanding the basics of Facebook.

You have your PERSONAL page, which is supposed to be under your real name. The personal page is for you personally (not your business). You can lock that down pretty tight so people can't see stuff about you... just your family/friends who you want to see it.

Then, you can have your business page(s) which are about your business(es). That can be any name (your business name) and you can make that visible to all if you wish. That's where you should be doing all your business related promoting, collecting of contacts, and so on.

Apr 23 15 09:51 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Lightcraft Studio wrote:
People seem to be not understanding the basics of Facebook.

You have your PERSONAL page, which is supposed to be under your real name. The personal page is for you personally (not your business). You can lock that down pretty tight so people can't see stuff about you... just your family/friends who you want to see it.

Then, you can have your business page(s) which are about your business(es). That can be any name (your business name) and you can make that visible to all if you wish. That's where you should be doing all your business related promoting, collecting of contacts, and so on.

Don't worry... I am quite aware about the functions of Facebook, since I am on there since they opened up to all colleges... so, pretty much from the beginning...

Now... I don't use my full legal name, because I adopted "udor" as my artist name more than ten years ago (I registered udor photography in 2003, IIRC) and ever since, I am using this name and I also sign my paintings as "udor", my fashion website is udorphotography, my art website is "surrealities of udor" (surrealities.net) my tumbler is "surrealities of udor" as well, as is a FB group of the same name. I have given interviews as udor (e.g. on the American Fashion Podcast, or an interview by AdoramaPro), my photocredits in publications are either "udor" or "udor photography".

Being an artist and photographer is not a "job" or just a business... it is me, living it full time, you can not separate me from the artist named "udor" and the private person as well.

My former and new FB profile, was/is used that way for personal and professional use (... just like Millions of other people do as well)... , while I maintain a "Fan" Page after the forced conversion. A Fan page is extremely limiting and, in my view... extremely pretentious, because I don't have "fans" I am not a celebrity...

Google+ used to have a "real name" policy, which they realized is b.s. and put it away... one or two years ago, it's about time that FB follows suit.

Btw., try to join any professional group on FB, with your business page... can't do it! You can't contact people, only pages with your page either... it is limiting, for me... it is useless!

Apr 23 15 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

udor wrote:
Don't worry... I am quite aware about the functions of Facebook, since I am on there since they opened up to all colleges... so, pretty much from the beginning...

Now... I don't use my full legal name, because I adopted "udor" as my artist name more than ten years ago (I registered udor photography in 2003, IIRC) and ever since, I am using this name and I also sign my paintings as "udor", my fashion website is udorphotography, my art website is "surrealities of udor" (surrealities.net) my tumbler is "surrealities of udor" as well, as is a FB group of the same name. I have given interviews as udor (e.g. on the American Fashion Podcast, or an interview by AdoramaPro), my photocredits in publications are either "udor" or "udor photography".

Being an artist and photographer is not a "job" or just a business... it is me, living it full time, you can not separate me from the artist named "udor" and the private person as well.

My former and new FB profile, was/is used that way for personal and professional use (... just like Millions of other people do as well)... , while I maintain a "Fan" Page after the forced conversion. A Fan page is extremely limiting and, in my view... extremely pretentious, because I don't have "fans" I am not a celebrity...

Google+ used to have a "real name" policy, which they realized is b.s. and put it away... one or two years ago, it's about time that FB follows suit.

Btw., try to join any professional group on FB, with your business page... can't do it! You can't contact people, only pages with your page either... it is limiting, for me... it is useless!

I'm not trying to defend FB, and I agree that the so-called professional/fan pages are indeed limiting.

Just saying that it will avoid some frustration if people understand the difference between a personal page and a professional/fan page.

You can indeed promote the professional page through FB, but of course it will cost money.... FB is a business.... so they understandably are geared toward making money.

Apr 23 15 10:48 am Link

Photographer

Anthony Chase

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

While it may be their sandbox, they are slowly losing a lot of sand. And revenue.

Apr 23 15 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Anthony Chase wrote:
While it may be their sandbox, they are slowly losing a lot of sand. And revenue.

They announced their latest results yesterday, and they beat (slightly) the estimates on earnings. Their net income was up 28% over the prior year.

I have no idea if they can sustain that growth, but so far they're on the right track.

Apr 23 15 11:25 am Link

Photographer

DEP E510

Miramar, Florida, US

The Grey Forest wrote:
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1032121/pg1

maybe that link might answer your question:

please be advised that FACEBOOK directly data mines your person information for the FBI / CIA & NSA
(its the digital KGB for the United States for surveillance)  ie: its a Government controlled website

before you choose to continue to use Facebook you should seriously review the following links and keep in mind that you cannot EVER truly close or delete your Facebook account and your data will always remain on file.

http://www.cnet.com/news/facebook-ceo-m … about-nsa/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqc2gOGY7hM

Facebook needs access to: ~ your entire life so we may spy on your every move...
https://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/qk54138acc.png

https://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Gary-Coleman-Confused-Gif-On-Diffrent-Strokes.gif

and people STILL  join that BULLSHIT site...

Apr 23 15 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I have a minimal FB presence, and FB is constantly asking me questions like where I went to college and whatnot.  I just ignore these requests.

>>>>>  Tangent Alert  >>>>>
Because one of my businesses is registered out-of-state, I've been paying non-resident state income tax for over 20 years there.  This year, I get a letter from that state requesting that I send them a copy of my drivers license and a utility bill addressed to my home state.  They wanted me to prove that I am who I say I am.

The letter provided a phone number for me to call if I had any questions.  So, I called it and asked them to prove that they were who they said they were first.  They were kinda shocked.  They said, well, you called the state department of revenue, and I said, no, I called the number you claimed was the phone number to the state department of revenue.

It felt good stringing them along for a while.
>>>>>  End Tangent  >>>>>

Regarding FB:  Screw them!  They are just trying extract money from you (or from advertisers who will extract money from you in turn).

Apr 23 15 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Regarding FB:  Screw them!  They are just trying extract money from you (or from advertisers who will extract money from you in turn).

Well yea, they're a business... not a charity!

Apr 23 15 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:

Lightcraft Studio wrote:
Well yea, they're a business... not a charity!

Yeah, and your eyeballs & your wallet are their assets.  Your value proposition:  they are holding your friends & family hostage (unless you are willing to send e-mail, write letters, make a phone call, etc.).

Apr 23 15 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

Deep Visions

Oceanside, California, US

People have put far too much emphasis & reliability on fartbook to keep in touch with friends & family, fb knows this & keeps changing their TOS to extract whatever info they want from individuals to keep their profiles active. Although I've always used my real name on there, I could care less if fartbook locked my account

Apr 23 15 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

the biggest problem I had with facebook...possibly everyone else are pro's and didnt have many problems....but for me, I found the controls and menu's extremely awkward and obtuse. like you had to search for what you wanted to do or the terminology was vague...and sometimes lead to easily accidentally sending things to people you didnt want to see.

Apr 23 15 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

The Grey Forest

Tony From Syracuse wrote:
the biggest problem I had with facebook...possibly everyone else are pro's and didnt have many problems....but for me, I found the controls and menu's extremely awkward and obtuse. like you had to search for what you wanted to do or the terminology was vague...and sometimes lead to easily accidentally sending things to people you didnt want to see.

True, that was the first thing that struck me about Facebook was how horribly ill designed and "unfriendly" to use, couldn't figure out what did what almost like it was made intentionally confusing; however, having Employers, Government & Law Enforcement to snoop on and infringe on employees/citizens personal privacy by exploiting that site I find extremely offensive and against the American core values.

Several models place links to Facebook and request to have them contacted there instead of Model Mayhem (um why? just send a reply here - derp*) ~ but can't since Facebook demands that you "log in" just to view their page because they have ironically set to "PRIVATE" and I guess they believe 'everyone' of course has a facebook account! ~ or can't tell what you're looking at or trying to find because the layout of that site is a horrid sloppy mess.

Note: (Anywhere online on a website page that has a Facebook link or LIKE button, Facebook script records the IP address of everyone viewing that given page - even if you've never had an account with them or are signed in ~  scary ?)  oh, I see there is a Facebook link at the bottom of this very page ~ derp*

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/30/us/nsa-social-networks/
do you personally know everyone on your Facebook friends list ? 
You could end up being linked to someone under scrutiny through merely by association there... neat'o

Then of course, there are the 'Twitter' addicts ~ who shout to the world what their doing every hour of the day ~ (you probably know one yourself...)

Apr 24 15 09:02 am Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

The Grey Forest wrote:

True, that was the first thing that struck me about Facebook was how horribly ill designed and "unfriendly" to use, couldn't figure out what did what almost like it was made intentionally confusing; however, having Employers, Government & Law Enforcement to snoop on and infringe on employees/citizens personal privacy by exploiting that site I find extremely offensive and against the American core values.

Several models place links to Facebook and request to have them contacted there instead of Model Mayhem (um why? just send a reply here - derp*) ~ but can't since Facebook demands that you "log in" just to view their page because they have ironically set to "PRIVATE" and I guess they believe 'everyone' of course has a facebook account! ~ or can't tell what you're looking at or trying to find or supposed to be looking for because the layout of that site is a horrid sloppy mess.

Note: (Anywhere online on a website page that has a Facebook link or LIKE button, Facebook script records the IP address of everyone viewing that given page - even if you've never had an account with them or are signed in ~  scary ?)  oh, I see there is a Facebook link at the bottom of this very page ~ derp*

Then of course, there are the 'Twitter' addicts ~ who shout to the world what their doing every hour of the day ~ (you probably know one yourself...)

I thought I was the only one that thought it's a sloppy mess.  Trying to set up things is really convoluted and once you do set things up, your settings can change without notice.  It's not very reliable.  For instance I liked seeing the latest posts but once in a while it would revert back to "top stories".  I wonder what other settings get "lost"?

Apr 24 15 09:12 am Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

I am slowly remembering contacts from my original I can refriend request, though its weird to see all my original posts gone. Another friend had it happen to her too, and a TON of people are confused. I am going to write FB a nasty letter and upload it in place of the IDs they're asking for, I think, then will have to let it go after that. Still stupid, especially when it was a personal account with my name in it.

They also seem to have changed things around to where posts, through either a business page or a personal page don't reach anyone. What a mess.

Apr 24 15 10:25 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Here is a post that was made to Stephanie's thread on FB about an article which addresses the current situation. The author's situation with his name matches mine as well:

Facebook's real name policy is still a huge problem
By Lux Alptraum on February 19, 2015 02:21 pm
"One core issue comes from the fact that Facebook does not require all of its users to submit legal proof of their names. As with many of its systems, its real name enforcement seems to rely on a combination of automation and human monitoring. Under this system, names that sound "fake," or involve dictionary words, are more likely to be flagged.

"Plagued by accusations that it’s racist, transphobic, and insensitive to the privacy concerns of vulnerable populations"

Chances are good that you can use Facebook as John Smith even if your government name is something else entirely, but sign up with a non-European name (like Kurdistan or Kenyatta Cheese) or a name that doesn’t appear to align with your gender, and you may find yourself on the wrong side of the policy. In recent weeks, a number of Native American users have found that Facebook does not consider their names to be "real" enough, sometimes even after these users have submitted identification — an ironic disenfranchisement that has not gone unnoticed.

Facebook’s real name policy is also inconsistently enforced, further complicating this issue, in addition to unfairly targeting more vulnerable populations. In the first week of February, radio host and blogger Jay Smooth found himself locked out of his Facebook account despite the fact that "Jay Smooth [is] the only name [he’s] used publicly for 20+ years." He was quickly reinstated, with Facebook production engineer Jeff Ferland tweeting an apology less than a day after Smooth’s tweeted complaint. Those who are well connected, or have the press on their side, find they don’t have to play by the same rules as others. (Indeed, when I discovered my account had been disabled, one of my first moves was to text a friend who works at Facebook, who assured me my account would be reinstated.)"

Apr 26 15 06:59 am Link