Forums > Photography Talk > Another Canon Lens question..

Photographer

John Rollins

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I was fortunate to get a 5D MK3 with the EF 24-105 L

I also have the EF 17-40 L and EF 50 2.8

Best next Lens.??  with F2.8

I shoot portrait/fashion, landscape.  (no weddings!!)

Looking at a zoom perhaps? EF 70-200 ?  EF100-400?  EF 70-300? 

thanks for your time

May 02 15 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Sandy Ramirez

Brooklyn, New York, US

135/2 L

May 02 15 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

Kendra Paige

Wellington, Florida, US

My 70-200 2.8L II is my favorite lens by far, it's incredibly versatile and has made it so my primes (100mm 2.8L, 85mm 1.2L, and 50m 1.2L) don't get nearly as much playtime as they used to. It's particularly great for headshots / portraiture. That's just my two cents!

May 02 15 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Schneider M42 mount 135 and 50, with adapters to Canon. The image quality is on par with Zeiss or anything but the most expensive Leicas of that time, and the cyan cast on the lens will balance out the red cast on the camera and give you a really nice, neutral image that you can manipulate however you like.

May 02 15 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

MikeW

Cape Canaveral, Florida, US

Kendra Paige wrote:
My 70-200 2.8L II is my favorite lens by far, it's incredibly versatile and has made it so my primes (100mm 2.8L, 85mm 1.2L, and 50m 1.2L) don't get nearly as much playtime as they used to. It's particularly great for headshots / portraiture. That's just my two cents!

Given your specifications, I totally agree with Kendra.

May 02 15 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

70-200/2.8, you can't really go wrong.

May 02 15 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Stewart 247 Foto

Houston, Texas, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
Schneider M42 mount 135 and 50, with adapters to Canon. The image quality is on par with Zeiss or anything but the most expensive Leicas of that time, and the cyan cast on the lens will balance out the red cast on the camera and give you a really nice, neutral image that you can manipulate however you like.

Zack, can you please provide a link to some examples of what you are talking about? The specific lenses and the adapter(s) necessary for Canon 5D Mk3? I wasn't aware of this Schneider lens option until you mentioned it, and my subsequent search on ebay led to more confusion than anything else. TIA

May 03 15 01:41 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Alison

Aberystwyth, Wales, United Kingdom

Sandy Ramirez wrote:
135/2 L

Agree.

May 03 15 05:30 am Link

Photographer

Maxximages

Los Angeles, California, US

Get a 70-200 L 2.8 or 4.0

May 03 15 06:09 am Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Quark Photography  wrote:

thanks for your time

First, do you need (not want) a new lens? In other words, what do your current lenses not do that you need them to do? If you can identify the hole in your lineup, you'll have a better idea (and perhaps get more focused recommendations) of what you need and why.

Second, coupled with the above, what's your priority? The things that you mention are not likely to both be ideally covered by the same new lens, so which is the more pressing need? Are you not happy with the wide end performance of your L lenses for landscape? Does the long end of your 24-105L not give you the framing you desire for portraits?

Third, a suggestion: rent (or borrow) for a weekend before you buy. People often reply in these threads with gear that fits their needs, not yours. If you rent a lens or two from one of several houses that specialize in such things, you'll be able to shoot your subjects with your lighting style at focal lengths that you like on your body. I can't imagine anyone's raving about an EF X-Ymm f/Z lens giving you more accurate data for your needs than that.

May 03 15 07:32 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

70 - 200 f2.8 would be the way to go

May 03 15 08:02 am Link

Photographer

ADVANCED RENDITI0NS

Athens, Georgia, US

Get a big white lens so you look cool.

May 03 15 08:15 am Link

Photographer

John Rollins

Nashville, Tennessee, US

AgX wrote:
First, do you need (not want) a new lens? In other words, what do your current lenses not do that you need them to do? If you can identify the hole in your lineup, you'll have a better idea (and perhaps get more focused recommendations) of what you need and why.

Second, coupled with the above, what's your priority? The things that you mention are not likely to both be ideally covered by the same new lens, so which is the more pressing need? Are you not happy with the wide end performance of your L lenses for landscape? Does the long end of your 24-105L not give you the framing you desire for portraits?

Third, a suggestion: rent (or borrow) for a weekend before you buy. People often reply in these threads with gear that fits their needs, not yours. If you rent a lens or two from one of several houses that specialize in such things, you'll be able to shoot your subjects with your lighting style at focal lengths that you like on your body. I can't imagine anyone's raving about an EF X-Ymm f/Z lens giving you more accurate data for your needs than that.

Thanks very helpful.  I want a lens to round out my 5D experience.  I am retired and will be traveling and want something different for portrait and travel use.  I don't expect to capture birds.  I want to shoot people, crowds and music venues.  The reality is I can buy another lens at this time and expect not to purchase another one in a while.

May 03 15 08:53 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

24-105 mm is my favorite lens.

EF 70-200 f/2.8 is constant aperture.

EF 100-400 and EF 70-300 are not constant aperture and are generally too long for studio portraits.

Edited to add correction.

May 03 15 09:17 am Link

Photographer

waynes world pics

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Thanks very helpful.  I want a lens to round out my 5D experience.  I am retired and will be traveling and want something different for portrait and travel use.  I don't expect to capture birds.  I want to shoot people, crowds and music venues.  The reality is I can buy another lens at this time and expect not to purchase another one in a while.

as other's have mentioned...the 70-200 mm would be a great addition to your gear.I don't go anywhere without it!

May 03 15 09:21 am Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

... want something different for portrait and travel use.

Again, why? What is the "different" that you want or need that you don't already own?

I want to shoot people, crowds and music venues.

The lenses you already have will shoot people, crowds, and music concerts. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just trying to help you hone in on what you need that is different from what you own, and why your current equipment doesn't serve your needs.

For example, you mention traveling. If you rarely use focal lengths above 100mm or so, or if your music venues are typically brightly lit afternoon affairs, do you need a 70-200L f/2.8 IS II? That's a lot of expensive relatively heavy glass to be traveling with if you don't need or use its capabilities often. Maybe for you, the weight savings of the f/4 might suit your traveling better. Maybe you don't need a longer telephoto zoom at all.

My suggestion is that if you can't specify what you're missing to round out your 5D experience, you have a want, not a need, and it's much harder for people here to make suggestions on what you want. Only you know the answer to that.

There's nothing inherently wrong with GAS (gear acquisition syndrome), but your OP asks for recommendations on the "best" next lens, and best is almost always relative to need and function served.

May 03 15 09:25 am Link

Photographer

John Fisher

Miami Beach, Florida, US

https://www.johnfisher.com/images/1alexa1435fs.jpg
Alexa, taken with the EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II mounted on the EOS 5D II

I also would vote for the EF 70-200mm  f2.8L IS II, This is a wonderful portrait lens, and when shooting outside with your EOS 5D Mark III (full frame camera) this lens will blur backgrounds beautifully. It give you reach you currently don't have, and it's faster than your current zooms.

All that said, it is not light, and if your primary need is for a carry around lens when you travel, maybe the EF 70-200 f4L might be a lens you want to consider as it is much lighter, and although only(?) f4 it is still one of the sharpest lenses Canon makes.

When I'm shooting with the 5D series, you will almost always see my EF 70-200L f2.8 IS II on the camera. It really is one of the special lenses produced by any manufacturer.

John
--
John Fisher
900 West Avenue, Suite 633
Miami Beach, Florida 330139
(305) 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com

May 03 15 10:03 am Link

Photographer

Ashley Grig Photography

Glendale, California, US

thanks for your time

May 03 15 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Ashley Grig Photography

Glendale, California, US

Ashley Grig Photography wrote:

thanks for your time

EF 70-200 is great but not practical for size, 85mm is another option if the size is an issue

May 03 15 10:17 am Link

Photographer

John Rollins

Nashville, Tennessee, US

AgX wrote:
My suggestion is that if you can't specify what you're missing to round out your 5D experience, you have a want, not a need, and it's much harder for people here to make suggestions on what you want. Only you know the answer to that.

There's nothing inherently wrong with GAS (gear acquisition syndrome), but your OP asks for recommendations on the "best" next lens, and best is almost always relative to need and function served.

Thank you AgX for helping me focus on the process to see what my needs vs wants are.
I also appreciate the other suggestions and the recommendations to the 70-200 and the idea of a using a F4. 

The forum as been a tremendous help.
I am now better prepared to decide my next best lens

Thanks All
John Rollins
Nashville TN

May 03 15 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Michael Fryd

Miami Beach, Florida, US

70-200 f/2.8 is my favorite full frame portrait lens.

When I shoot wildlife, I prefer the reach of the 100-400.

For shooting crowds I think the 24-105 already has you covered.

If I could only have three lenses, they would be the 16-35 f/2.8 L II,  the 24-70 f/2.8 L II, and the 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II.

I am least sure about the 16-35.   I might prefer the 11-24 f/4 L.   The 11-24 goes wider, but is much heavier, and only f/4.

Once you have the 70-200 f/2.8, you can pair it with a 2X tele-extender, instead of buying a 100-400.

May 03 15 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Given that you shoot portrait, I think the 70-200 is  the no-brainer purchase.
Although I shoot Nikon, I have the 70-200 2.8 VRII (which also is a bit heavy) and it is an absolutely great lens. As the other major player in the market, I have to assume Canon's 70-200 2.8 lens would be similar.

May 03 15 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Mike Stewart 247 Foto wrote:

Zack, can you please provide a link to some examples of what you are talking about? The specific lenses and the adapter(s) necessary for Canon 5D Mk3? I wasn't aware of this Schneider lens option until you mentioned it, and my subsequent search on ebay led to more confusion than anything else. TIA

No links, but I can explain!

The M42 mount was a universal mount that never really took off. The Pentax Spotmatics used it, as did Yachica, Mamiya, and a bunch of other "what the hell, let's try 35mm SLR" companies. There are a lot of lenses in that mount, and the adapter is basically just a ring with the Canon bayonet lug on the outside, and the screw threads on the inside.

The best lenses are the ones with the zebra stripe focus rings. There is a narrow stripe, and a wide. They're basically the same, but I got the wide stripe ones. A 35 2.8, 50 1.9, and 135 3.5.  My 135 had wide stripes, and since I'm incredibly picky about colour and consistency, I bought the 50 and the 35 from the same series.

Schneiders are known for being blue, but it's not quite correct. What they call 'Schneider blue' is actually a little bit of blue, and a lot of cyan. Since Canons are notorious for being red(especially the 5D series, though the mkiii is better than the mkii), putting some cyan in front of the sensor will balance that out, and give a more neutral image.

The lenses have fewer aperture blades than most modern lenses, but they're very well designed and built. This means out of focus highlights won't be round, but your bokeh will be very smooth - just not the highlights. They're a lot like old Hassy or Rollei lenses that way.

May 03 15 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

KBStudio

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

Sandy Ramirez wrote:
135/2 L

How is it? Wasn't sure if I should get one since I already have a Canon 70-200mm f/ 2.8.

May 03 15 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

KBStudio

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

thanks for your time

My Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 MK I is sharp and has low chromatic. You should definitely get the MK II if your wallet allows for it. As for landscape I'm just getting into it and was looking at the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. Not sure if you shoot similar to me when it comes to landscape photos but I'm rarely more than 100 yards from my[ subject matter in some cases. The EF 100-400mm should be great for structures though.

May 03 15 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

mophotoart

Wichita, Kansas, US

if your budget allows, the 70/200 Is ll is one of the best, big, white, but it is a super lens...and a work horse...why people are envious of it....a cheap 28/135 is a great lens, always use it...just has lens creep..but gets the job done on crop or full frame...get with those in your area that are part of the photography community and get their opinions, real life versus the internet hype is a good idea also...just my take...Mo

May 03 15 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Stewart 247 Foto

Houston, Texas, US

Zack Zoll wrote:

No links, but I can explain!

The M42 mount was a universal mount that never really took off. The Pentax Spotmatics used it, as did Yachica, Mamiya, and a bunch of other "what the hell, let's try 35mm SLR" companies. There are a lot of lenses in that mount, and the adapter is basically just a ring with the Canon bayonet lug on the outside, and the screw threads on the inside.

The best lenses are the ones with the zebra stripe focus rings. There is a narrow stripe, and a wide. They're basically the same, but I got the wide stripe ones. A 35 2.8, 50 1.9, and 135 3.5.  My 135 had wide stripes, and since I'm incredibly picky about colour and consistency, I bought the 50 and the 35 from the same series.

Schneiders are known for being blue, but it's not quite correct. What they call 'Schneider blue' is actually a little bit of blue, and a lot of cyan. Since Canons are notorious for being red(especially the 5D series, though the mkiii is better than the mkii), putting some cyan in front of the sensor will balance that out, and give a more neutral image.

The lenses have fewer aperture blades than most modern lenses, but they're very well designed and built. This means out of focus highlights won't be round, but your bokeh will be very smooth - just not the highlights. They're a lot like old Hassy or Rollei lenses that way.

Thanks Zack, I appreciate it smile

May 03 15 09:53 pm Link