Forums > Model Colloquy > How do you keep your skin clear?

Model

Jennifer DeWitt-Stewart

Austin, Texas, US

I am a few months shy of 24 and I still get blemishes. I stopped drinking milk entirely and I don't eat cheese or dairy very often either. But I still get acne a little bit. I have to put a lot of makeup on to cover it up.

I do not party or eat junk food. Maybe once a month I'll indulge in a candy bar. I got laser hair removal on my face and that made me break out also. I use topical medication on it and it doesn't seem to do much at all.

I just moved to Denver and I want to get down to business but I'm tired of always having to cover it up. I have fairly oily skin and I switched to a non-oily moisturizer. I'm doing everything I can but it won't go away.

Anyway, my question here is to ask how you models combat blemishes and how successful you've been. If so, please share you secrets. Thanks

May 07 15 09:16 pm Link

Retoucher

fleetofangels

Saint Catharines-Niagara, Ontario, Canada

I had acne until I started using birth control (cyestra35). Not sure how it helps but think it has to do with hormones. Now I just use pro active cleanser and have had no acne since. smile

May 08 15 03:09 am Link

Model

ChitownKaya

Chicago, Illinois, US

Water. Drink LOTS of water everydY.

May 08 15 08:55 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Water.
Eating clean ( lay off processed foods and artificially enhanced stuff. Eat your dann greens).
Exercise.
Tea tree oil.

Eta: I get breakouts after a shoot with lots of make up.
Try going without (or just a loose powder even if it's difficult for a few days) much make up and let your skin breathe. It'll help as well. As should the climate in Denver. Enjoy the pine air!!

May 08 15 01:32 pm Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I've never had really bad acne, but for a while I did regularly have a blemish or two all the time. Birth control didn't do anything in that regard for me, but I know it does help many women if their acne is hormonal. What has helped me is a consistent skincare routine and a two step cleansing routine any time I wear makeup.

A two step cleansing routine generally means using an oil cleanser first to loosen makeup. I've used rice bran oil for months, but I've used other oils like grapeseed oil, avocado oil, and olive oil as well. Lately I've been using a cleansing oil from a company called Chikyu Skincare that includes meadowfoam oil, camellia oil, grapeseed oil, and castor oil. Regardless of what I use, the oil works so much better than any makeup remover or cleanser I've ever tried. I don't have to scrub at my lashes (even with waterproof mascara) and so I'm not irritating my skin with that. After I work the oil into my skin I wipe it off with a hot cloth, then I use a cleanser. Again, I prefer all natural cleansers now, but the main point is the two step process because it seems to remove all the makeup much better. And removing all traces of makeup is really, really helpful for your skin.

I also try to let my skin breathe and I don't wear heavy makeup outside of shoots.

Over the past couple years I've been paying more attention to the ingredients in my makeup. Some things in makeup and skin care can make people break out or cause allergic reactions. For example, I'm allergic to chemical sunscreens and a lot of makeup with SPF in it has them.

I do think that drinking adequate water and a decent diet helps as well.

When I do have a blemish, I try very hard to leave it alone. I keep concealer on hand for shoots and do frequent touch ups if needed, but I also make sure I get all the makeup off ASAP especially when I do have blemishes.

Some people do seem to have better luck with more natural and indie makeup, and if you're interested there is a great subreddit on it with people who are usually great about answering questions. http://www.reddit.com/r/Indiemakeupandmore/

May 08 15 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

Carl Herbert

Bellevue, Washington, US

How much animal fat do you eat? How much water do you drink? And how often do you wash your skin? Washing too frequently can exacerbate the problem rather than fix it. If your skin is oily it may be due to a combination of drinking insufficient water and eating too much of the wrong kinds of fats. If you can replace some or all of the low-quality fats you eat -- i.e., animal fats, seed oils, etc. -- and replace them with higher quality fats like coconut oil, olive oil, etc., then your skin will benefit from it. You can put coconut oil directly on your skin to help too, but I think it works great just to use it for cooking and eat it.

May 09 15 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Everyone is different.   

Proactive reportedly works well for about half the people who try it.
Benzoyl Peroxide works for some.
Salysilic acid solutions work for others.
I have seen reports that repopulating the normal skin bacteria with a different strain works wonders. Healthy volunteer freind or relative with clear skin and some damp cotton balls to transfer.
Hormones (birth control pills) work for many.

http://www.sephora.com/acne-solutions-c … el-P385432
https://www.mariobadescu.com/Benzoyl-Pe … cylic-Acid

May 10 15 01:22 am Link

Photographer

ValHig

London, England, United Kingdom

If you suffer from acne, I urge you to go to your doctor rather than buying products or going on weird diets that do nothing at all. I used to buy creams, get microdermabrasion, and basically sink a hell of a lot of money into a good skin when it turns out that acne is hormonal/genetic... and no amount of beauty treatments will actually help. On long-term antibiotics now and haven't had a spot in about a year.

So yeah, lots of water, good diet, taking off your make up are all good if you have decent skin in the first place. If you have a hormonal issue (and especially if your parents suffered acne) go to your doctor. Even if they just tell you to use a cream, at least you know you're not paying hundreds each year and just making it worse!

May 10 15 04:28 am Link

Model

Rachel Elise

In my opinion, the best advice is to drink tons of water. Don't just do it a day or two before a big shoot--make it a regular habit TODAY. Whenever I discipline myself to stick to it, I always see noticeable improvement in the way my skin looks. Not only will it help clear away some (or even ALL) of your acne, it will also make your skin look more radiant in general.

Also, avoid wearing make-up for a few days if you feel like you're starting to break out. I think the knee-jerk reaction is to want to cover up with even more make-up, but that usually makes the problem worse. Use a gentle moisturizer if you feel like you can't go completely natural, but definitely steer clear of dense foundations or concealers.

Some other small things can also make a big difference: avoid touching your face throughout the day, wash your pillowcase regularly, and use an antibacterial bar of soap when you wash your face. I used to have SEVERE acne (some scars still remain  on certain areas of my body), but I am frequently complimented on the clarity of my skin these days.

Sometimes it seems like it will never go away, but don't lose hope! Best of luck to you.

May 10 15 08:06 am Link

Model

sasweets

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I don't wear makeup except mascara and lip gloss. Saved my skin. Plus I only use water mostly on my face sometimes non-scented soap. Anything scented; soap, body wash, etc creates acne once in a while on my face so I just go for non-scented and ingredients I can read and know what they are.

*Clinique is the only makeup I noticed that doesn't break out my skin and lets it breathe.

May 10 15 08:17 am Link

Photographer

Alan Mross

Middleton, Wisconsin, US

Try not eating any wheat.

May 11 15 03:48 pm Link

Model

JadeDRed

Hormonal birth control, specifically dianette which is prescribed for that reason.

Skincare lotions and potions make it worse, all seem to leave more gunk than they take away. Some actually cause me to have breakouts.

I don't eat dairy or wheat and that has had zero effect on my skin. Diet seems to be irrelevant in general.

May 11 15 04:52 pm Link

Model

Lorayne York

Topeka, Kansas, US

Jennifer DeWitt-Stewart wrote:
I am a few months shy of 24 and I still get blemishes. I stopped drinking milk entirely and I don't eat cheese or dairy very often either. But I still get acne a little bit. I have to put a lot of makeup on to cover it up.

I do not party or eat junk food. Maybe once a month I'll indulge in a candy bar. I got laser hair removal on my face and that made me break out also. I use topical medication on it and it doesn't seem to do much at all.

I just moved to Denver and I want to get down to business but I'm tired of always having to cover it up. I have fairly oily skin and I switched to a non-oily moisturizer. I'm doing everything I can but it won't go away.

Anyway, my question here is to ask how you models combat blemishes and how successful you've been. If so, please share you secrets. Thanks

I'm in Colorado too! For me I tried proactive, anything you can buy at Walmart, and some prescription stuff that's gel from my doctor.  But it didn't work. Until I started using products from lush. I use their ocean salt scrub and the dark angel clay face cleanser. Then I use their enzymion face lotion which absorbs all my oil without drying me out. The downside to it, it's expensive stuff but works great.

May 11 15 11:24 pm Link

Model

s-Gravenhage, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Don't put on loads of make-up! It irritates blemishes so they'll just stay there. Clean the tools you use and clean your skin very well before you go the sleep. Shouldn't be anything on there but a nice calming night cream. I personally don't clean my skin again in the morning, because it irritates my skin, so maybe it's something for you to try as well smile

May 13 15 12:18 pm Link

Model

Victoria Elle

New York, New York, US

The only thing that has ever worked for me is this:
http://www.janmarini.com/skin-care-prod … e-cleanser
Without it, I get huge cystic acne.  Proactive, oil cleansing, apple cider vinegar, and $2,000 worth of dermatologist visits and prescriptions did nothing.  I also have to stay away from a couple of make-up brands liquid foundations, or I'll break out (MAC, MUFE, Clinique).  I can use NARS every day without a problem.  I still get a zit now and then, usually when I'm about to get my period, but they're not the deep cystic ones.

May 13 15 03:03 pm Link

Model

LauraLuna

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

I've had bad acne from my teens until my mid twenties. I tried every natural remedy on Earth and some medication too, but my face looked like a Spanish paella. Finally, I went to a dermatologist who have me some aggressive, but effective medication called Isbiden or so. It has a lot of side effects and requires medical control and monthly blood analysis. And you know what? I did not suffer a single side effect and my face is soft as snow now.

Also, once a week I do what I call the Fruit Day. For breakfast, some coffee, toasts with marmalade and orange juice. For lunch, I just eat fruit: some pineapple, strawberries, a banana and a kiwi. For supper, an omelette, salad and yoghurt. As a snack, tea with soy milk or a cereal bar. It helps me to cleanse the skin and the organism and keep rebel blemishes at bay.

May 13 15 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

Try researching daily skin care routines on youtube.  I have a personal routine but it is a little complicated.  I think a little research on some products may help.

May 13 15 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Try Aveeno Oatmeal Bar Soap

May 13 15 06:16 pm Link