Forums > Photography Talk > To Gel or Not to Gel

Photographer

Masciandaro Photography

Westfield, New Jersey, US

I thought I was being slick when covering an event and set my color temp to tungsten and taped a CTO gel to the strobe.

Unfortunately the room lights were fluorescent and after some scary looking test shots, I ripped the gel off, set my exposure  to 1/200th, f8 and ISO to 400 to kill the ambient and proceeded to blast away. Not subtle but at least the skin tones didn't look alien.

Do any of you filter/gel to balance for fluorescent or just rely on your strobe to overpower?

May 09 15 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Masciandaro Photography wrote:
I thought I was being slick when covering an event and set my color temp to tungsten and taped a CTO gel to the strobe.

Unfortunately the room lights were fluorescent and after some scary looking test shots, I ripped the gel off, set my exposure  to 1/200th, f8 and ISO to 400 to kill the ambient and proceeded to blast away. Not subtle but at least the skin tones didn't look alien.

Do any of you filter/gel to balance for fluorescent or just rely on your strobe to overpower?

For event photos I just set my WB to Auto and adjust in post. It's the easiest way to do it. Trying to shoot an event with ever changing lighting scenarios is a nightmare to do manual WB in so I just avoid doing that all together.

May 09 15 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Voy

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I gel my flash accordingly.  It's very amateurish seeing a subject lit with flash and the ambient light with a different color temperature. What's worse is seeing the flash only and no ambient light. That's like setting your camera to "Auto" or "P" Your client will feel like they were cheated.

May 09 15 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

Voy

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Shot By Adam wrote:

For event photos I just set my WB to Auto and adjust in post. It's the easiest way to do it. Trying to shoot an event with ever changing lighting scenarios is a nightmare to do manual WB in so I just avoid doing that all together.

The problem with your scenario is that the flash will be a different color temperature than the ambient.

May 09 15 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

me voy wrote:

Shot By Adam wrote:
The problem with your scenario is that the flash will be a different color temperature than the ambient.

I don't see it as a problem.  When you're shooting an event, you're sometimes close to subjects, sometimes further away.  A gelled flash may not give you consistent color temperatures depending on how close or far your subject is.  At least that's been my experience.  The stronger the flash, the less the light is affected by the gel.  Or maybe I just use really crappy gels.

So I would go without a gel, background light be damned, and at least my subject is lit properly.

May 09 15 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

David M Russell

New York, New York, US

Shot By Adam wrote:

Pretty sure that if you try this trick with a Nikon Speedlight attached the auto WB will set to strobe, even if it says it's in auto.

In any case, I don't want to shoot any event that's lit with fluorescent light bulbs. Blech!

May 09 15 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

Voy

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:

me voy wrote:

I don't see it as a problem.  When you're shooting an event, you're sometimes close to subjects, sometimes further away.  A gelled flash may not give you consistent color temperatures depending on how close or far your subject is.  At least that's been my experience.  The stronger the flash, the less the light is affected by the gel.  Or maybe I just use really crappy gels.

So I would go without a gel, background light be damned, and at least my subject is lit properly.

The distance of your subject should not be an issue. If your subject is far away and the flash doesn't reach that far then the WB setting in your camera should take care of the color if you set the right WB. For example: if you shoot in a room lit with Tungsten lighting, you set your camera's WB to tungsten and put a CTO filter on the flash. If you are getting other colors from the flash then you have a filter that is bad. If you are getting too bright or too white from the flash then you are probably over exposing the flash. It could be the TTL that is getting fooled by something on the scene.

May 09 15 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

Masciandaro Photography

Westfield, New Jersey, US

me voy wrote:
I gel my flash accordingly.  It's very amateurish seeing a subject lit with flash and the ambient light with a different color temperature. What's worse is seeing the flash only and no ambient light. That's like setting your camera to "Auto" or "P" Your client will feel like they were cheated.

So for the record, what's your starting point for filtration? There's at least a half dozen color temps for fluorescent, I'd assume an FLD filter for the lens, what would you put on your strobe?

May 10 15 08:07 am Link

Photographer

Culturally Destitute

Seattle, Washington, US

me voy wrote:
It's very amateurish.....That's like setting your camera to "Auto" or "P" Your client will feel like they were cheated.

Never had a client dictate what settings I use to get their desired results. I'd probably pass on an assignment like that.

OP, I'd most likley skip the gels in your situation. Gels usually require a more controlled environmemt to get the desired effects.

May 10 15 08:25 am Link

Photographer

Voy

Phoenix, Arizona, US

So for the record, what's your starting point for filtration? There's at least a half dozen color temps for fluorescent, I'd assume an FLD filter for the lens, what would you put on your strobe?

I just reread your original post and for some reason I thought you were talking about speedlites. If you are shooting with strobes the same idea apply. You set your white balance to florescent and put an FLD gel on the strobe. Now you can mix ambient with flash and you should get a similar color.

May 10 15 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

Voy

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Volition Graphics wrote:

Never had a client dictate what settings I use to get their desired results. I'd probably pass on an assignment like that.

That kind of attitude will make you miss on a lot of opportunities. I have been hired by corporate and business magazines and you will be surprised by how knowledgeable photo editors are. Most of the time they will tell you what they want and what they don't want.

May 10 15 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

One way is to match the bulbs by adding green to your strobe, 30cc or 50cc.  Then adding magenta filter of 30cc or 50 cc to balance it out over your lens.  I carry lens filters and then just play around with the pictures until it looks right.  I also carry rosco gels to correct my strobes to  match the ambient light.
check out Bobbi Lane.  She is an Amazing photographer and explains colour correcting much better than me.

When I work on jobs that give me more time I always use my light meter and colour meter as well as I correct out all my colour and match different lights colour temperature.  I was taught this by the Great Bobbi Lane.  Most photographers have no idea how to do this.  I suggest reading a book from her.

May 11 15 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

I do for tungsten all the time. I would for fluorescent if I knew enough in advance to have the right gel. I'd love to for sodium vapor too, but I don't think the camera can WB for that anyway.

May 12 15 06:19 am Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:

me voy wrote:

This is not accurate.

May 12 15 06:20 am Link