Forums > Model Colloquy > Modeling in Tokyo

Model

s-Gravenhage, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Hi!

I recently got the offer to model in Tokyo with a good agency for 2 months. Now I know this is a once in a lifetime opportunity, but I'm just scared as sh*t about it, having never been away from home longer than 2 weeks and now going to the other side of the world and having to miss my boyfriend for 2 months. I guess I'm not a very adventurous person! Does any one have any experience modeling in Tokyo? I need to make my decision quick but I feel torn between going and not going...

May 10 15 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

hbutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

MonkeyL wrote:
Hi!

I recently got the offer to model in Tokyo with a good agency for 2 months. Now I know this is a once in a lifetime opportunity, but I'm just scared as sh*t about it, having never been away from home longer than 2 weeks and now going to the other side of the world and having to miss my boyfriend for 2 months. I guess I'm not a very adventurous person! Does any one have any experience modeling in Tokyo? I need to make my decision quick but I feel torn between going and not going...

I've spent a lot of time in the Tokyo area.  Figuring out the transportation is the roughest part.  Although some of the signs are in English, few speak or understand it.  It would be a challenge to spend 2 months there but there is much to learn there.

May 11 15 07:18 am Link

Model

Torttunaattori

Helsinki, Uusimaa, Finland

Are you on Tumblr? themodelburnbook is by Cailin Hill, who's based in Tokyo and has some really cool stories (and pictures) to share.

Good luck! <3

May 11 15 11:11 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I've never been to Japan but I encourage you to go.   I'm not a model of course but you don't want to look back later in life and have regrets.    Maybe once you arrive and are there your guy can join you later.   I'm sure you'll make friends and have a wonderful time.   Don't let this opportunity get away.   Put your fears aside and go.

May 11 15 11:17 am Link

Photographer

East West

Los Angeles, California, US

When opportunity knocks, go for it. 2 months will fly by.

I've been to Japan several times as a photographer and loved every experience. The key is NOT to live a life of apartment, go-sees and shoots. Get out, make friends, experience the culture, people, food, nightlife....study the language and history. Don't make it all about modeling.

May 17 15 11:17 am Link

Model

Hillaire

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

If you trust the opportunity go with it!. I have no stories or experiences but merely giving the courage for you to take the opportunity.

May 17 15 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

- Phil H -

Mildenhall, England, United Kingdom

Are they offering you a work permit or asking you to head out there with just your passport, as a temporary visitor? If it's the latter, there's every likelihood you will be working illegally and they probably know that.

If you travel with the intention of doing paid modeling, without a work visa you are risking deportation getting barred from re-entering the country for several years or even jail. Additionally, if there working illegally, your rights and access to help, should something go wrong, would also be severely limited.

It's also worth noting that if deported from a country for working illegally, it can potentially make it MUCH harder to travel to other countries on a tourist visa (for example to the US).

From http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2221.html
"Foreigners, who wish to work in Japan, need to get a work visa from a Japanese embassy or consulate outside of Japan in order to enter the country on a status of residence permitting work." This definitely also applies to models.

If the agency tells you you don't need a work visa to work in Japan as a model, you can easily verify by contacting the Japanese Embassy.  You can find their contact info here - http://www.nl.emb-japan.go.jp/e/about/index.html

May 18 15 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

If they are offering visa and contract it must be solid.
Most agencies here are not willing to sort out a visa for models and if you want to sign up with an agency you usually have to be resident here.

I wouldn't advise to touch government agencies with a mile long barge pole. A friend of mine was rejected working visa here shortly before he visited as a tourist when he was detained in the airport and nearly got his rear end probed in process.

You seem to have looks for Japanese market, so go for it. Nothing to lose.

Ed: Since this is more of the issue if you want to come here or not, no advice or comment will replace own personal experience so the ball remains in your court.

May 19 15 09:14 am Link