Forums > Model Colloquy > How do I have casting availability during the day?

Model

Tyra G

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Hello MM community.

I recently relocated to the Los Angeles market. I have a day job that pays well, but now I don't have open availability to attend castings and work with my Agency! Jobs like waitressing isn't paying enough for night shifts. Any one have referrals for night shifts or suggestions?? Any models who can suggest anything that they know about? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Tyra

May 10 15 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

Mark C Smith

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Almost every model or actor I know has worked catering at some point as their side gig. The pay is good, you mostly work evenings and nights and since it's a common occupation for the auditioning types you'll usually find the owners/operators are forgiving if you aren't available at certain times as they simply expect it.

May 11 15 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Moody

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Many, many years ago when I was attending film school in New York City, everybody juggled their audition needs by working as temps.  That way you could earn a living but not be overly obligated to a particular employer.  As a temp, taking time off to audition was relatively easy.  Not sure how things are today.

May 13 15 12:45 am Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

Cocktail waitress? Lots of jobs have third shift available but many won't be suitable for you. I've worked 3rd shift in a hospital and at Walmart.

May 13 15 11:50 am Link

Model

Tyra G

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Mark C Smith wrote:
Almost every model or actor I know has worked catering at some point as their side gig. The pay is good, you mostly work evenings and nights and since it's a common occupation for the auditioning types you'll usually find the owners/operators are forgiving if you aren't available at certain times as they simply expect it.

Thanks for your input. I know that its worth sacrificing for. I will start looking into a few places.

May 13 15 06:22 pm Link

Model

Tyra G

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Isis22 wrote:
Cocktail waitress? Lots of jobs have third shift available but many won't be suitable for you. I've worked 3rd shift in a hospital and at Walmart.

Hi,

Thank you for the advice! I have Retail experience, so Walmart/Target would be options.

May 13 15 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

If you have a day job that pays well, keep it and work around it. A good paying job with benefits is GOLD!!

May 13 15 06:38 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Tyra G wrote:
Hi,

Thank you for the advice! I have Retail experience, so Walmart/Target would be options.

Retailers like Walmart and Target are corporate owned and operated. Everything is broken down into a system. If you call in more than a few times every year, they'll fire your ass. They'll find some lame reason to do it, just because. If you start working there and three months in, call out a shift, you'll be on the shit-list in no time. Next time you have some kind of random screw-up at work after that (and everyone screws up sometimes), you'll be the first one to go.

Cocktail waitressing is your best bet out of all these suggestions, but you still need to commit six months to not having any call-outs and kissing ass hardcore, so you get on the manager's/owner's good side, before you start being like, "Hey, I need Tuesday day shift off."

That being said, during the years modeling made up the largest portion of my income, when I was not traveling for shoots, I stripped. I know there is an ingrained cultural hatred towards strippers, but you're in charge of your own schedule and no one fucks with you. It's most excellent for models tying up loose ends during slow seasons, or just in terms of being in control of how you work, and when. No other job (not even cocktail waitressing, because I did too) will provide that flexibility.

May 13 15 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Koryn wrote:

Retailers like Walmart and Target are corporate owned and operated. Everything is broken down into a system. If you call in more than a few times every year, they'll fire your ass. They'll find some lame reason to do it, just because. If you start working there and three months in, call out a shift, you'll be on the shit-list in no time. Next time you have some kind of random screw-up at work after that (and everyone screws up sometimes), you'll be the first one to go.

Cocktail waitressing is your best bet out of all these suggestions, but you still need to commit six months to not having any call-outs and kissing ass hardcore, so you get on the manager's/owner's good side, before you start being like, "Hey, I need Tuesday day shift off."

That being said, during the years modeling made up the largest portion of my income, when I was not traveling for shoots, I stripped. I know there is an ingrained cultural hatred towards strippers, but you're in charge of your own schedule and no one fucks with you. It's most excellent for models tying up loose ends during slow seasons, or just in terms of being in control of how you work, and when. No other job (not even cocktail waitressing, because I did too) will provide that flexibility.

True!

May 13 15 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I dont know about all this

where I live a waitress in a good restaurant can make $75 to $100 plus in tips plus our minimum wage of $10 per hour - for an evening shift ( leaving her days open for castings or modelling gigs )

Maybe things are different down there

May 13 15 11:59 pm Link

Model

Tyra G

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Koryn wrote:

Sounds like it will be Cocktail Waitress jobs!

Thanks for your advice.

May 22 15 07:41 pm Link

Model

Tyra G

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Garry k wrote:
I dont know about all this

where I live a waitress in a good restaurant can make $75 to $100 plus in tips plus our minimum wage of $10 per hour - for an evening shift ( leaving her days open for castings or modelling gigs )

Maybe things are different down there

Thanks for your advice. Cocktail Waitress jobs here I come! Lol

May 22 15 07:46 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Try promo modeling. The shifts pop up and you go to the ones you're available for.
I know ladies who make $20/hr and up.

May 24 15 09:52 am Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

GER Photography wrote:
If you have a day job that pays well, keep it and work around it. A good paying job with benefits is GOLD!!

+1

May 24 15 11:11 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

GER Photography wrote:

Very true. Especially the part about benefits. Even if the job pays slightly less, having social benefits like dental/vision/health insurance is really useful. While my current dayjob doesn't pay like crazy, it's still pretty decent, but having benefits really takes the care. I got hurt late last year and needed physio, something I cannot afford without any coverage. I was glad to have it.

May 24 15 12:51 pm Link