Forums > Newbie Forum > Is it safe?

Model

Mo Rose

London, England, United Kingdom

Hi, I'm new to mm so I have a few questions.
I've had a few new photographers reach out to me on my email saying that they seen my mm profile but they don't have an mm account, and because they are just starting they don't have a portfolio or website and they want to do a shoot in their home.
I know I'm not wrong for being suspicious or paranoid but just wondering has anyone else experienced this? and is there anyways you can guarantee your safety if you decide to go for the shoot? or is it just a bad idea to go at all.

May 18 15 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

You should have solid, verifiable, full contact information on anyone you plan to work with. I prefer to shoot here in my home studio and believe me o would not do anything here in my home that would ever be considered illegal or untoward.

May 18 15 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

sweet gamine

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Pass on these "offers" and place a casting call on MM to begin working with the photographers who are members here.
I also recommend removing your email address from your bio as MM discourages it for the very reason of what you are experiencing.

May 18 15 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Martinez Photography

Bloomington, Illinois, US

sweet gamine wrote:
Pass on these "offers" and place a casting call on MM to begin working with the photographers who are members here.
I also recommend removing your email address from your bio as MM discourages it for the very reason of what you are experiencing.

THIS!!!!

May 18 15 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

Michael McGowan

Tucson, Arizona, US

I've had my e-mail address and a web site linked to my profile here since the dawn of time (in MM years). Both provide advantages, but some models don't do it because they have to do more work screening people (or so they say).

Frankly, I do as much screening of the people I "meet" on MM as anywhere else.

If the person trying to work with you doesn't have adequate references/website/samples to make you feel comfortable, just press delete. That goes whether it's on here or on your own.

May 18 15 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Safe or not, why would you want to shoot with someone if you have no idea what their work is like?

Pass and move on, then ask for or check references.  If they are on MM simply msg a few models in their portfolio, if they don't credit any move on.  Who really wants to work with someone who doesn't even credit their team, how much to they value others contribution...

my .02

May 18 15 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

You are new so it's tempting to want to take the first few offers that come along. Without seeing the photographers work or have any ability to vet them at all, you should pass on working with them. There will be many opportunities for you to work with photographers in your area who are not only talented, but also have a good list of models who can vouch for them. Just be patient.

May 18 15 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

First Life Photography

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom

Hi, if they are serious about photography, they can easily join for free! So no reason not to have an account, unless they don't want to be identified. So be suspicious!

I do not have a studio, but can use my home. However, I never meet a model for a first shoot at my home, or her's! In fact, I always arrange to shoot on location, meeting in a public place. This puts her at ease and me also.

However, if you really wanted to arrange the shoots with these guys, I suggest you ask for their Facebook, to see their work and ask if its ok to bring a companion along. I bet you won't even get a reply!

Your wise to be cautious. If something does not feel right, avoid it! If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is, so avoid the scams too!

In any case, good luck to you and enjoy your modelling. smile

May 18 15 11:27 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

You are expressing concern about safety but you seem to be ordering your life with convenience as a priority.  I have a business phone and a cell phone and a home phone.  My client's never get the number of my house phone.  A few long time clients have gotten my cell phone number and damn if they didn't give it out to other people.  By posting your email address on your profile, you are circumventing any security that MM has.  ANYBODY can see your email address and ANYBODY can contact you.  And you are asking us if that is safe?  NO!  It is not safe.   How emphatically must I be so that you understand, it is not safe. The advantage of an MM page is it provides you with methods to screen your contacts.  You can check the status of people with other users.  You can see  who worked with them.  You can contact other users.  You can do due diligence to keep yourself safe.  Again, you have circumvented all that.  Please be smart.  Remove your email address from your profile.  If you are using your real name, in your real town, then don't do that either. 

Old men photographers may think it is fine for them to put their email address and website on their page.  It probably is.  You are not old or a male.  It is different for you.  People would probably need a specific reason to target an old guy.  You are young and female.  That is reason enough.  I wouldn't post my email, my phone number, my name, my town, or anything else and I am an old fat guy.  So, think about it.  I have had a profile here for a few years.  You can read about me.  Do you know anything about me?  Not a bit.  But you can contact the people that I have worked with and find out if I am safe, kind considerate and likely to give you your pics from a TF shoot.

I don't mean to fear monger here.  If you were being contacted through the site and you got weird messages, you could CAM (Contact A Moderator).  You have no back up by providing direct contact.  Remove your email address.  And cancel it. 

And read this: https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/575330
Then read in the general industry section and the model and photographer's section about all the problems people have about making arrangements, getting pics, no shows, getting paid, creepy people and so on, so you can avoid the problems that happen to almost everyone who joins MM.

And just in case I wasn't clear:  Take your email address off your page.

No, you can guarantee your safety but you can reduce the risks.  It is a bad idea "to just not go at all."  You will do very little modeling by not going at all.  Work with reputable people who you can verify.  Tell people where you are going.  Do not make last minute changes.  Do not get into cars with strangers unless you have arranged the transportation in advance.  Do not accept candy from strangers.  Don't set your drink down in a public place.  Don't turn your music up loud.  Don't hang out with people that do drugs.  Don't put personal information on FB.  Don't tell people when you will be out of town.  The world is full of danger.  You know that.  You have already been taught some ways to remain safe.  Except you didn't learn to protect your identity or access to you.

May 19 15 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Michael McGowan wrote:
I've had my e-mail address and a web site linked to my profile here since the dawn of time (in MM years). Both provide advantages, but some models don't do it because they have to do more work screening people (or so they say).

Frankly, I do as much screening of the people I "meet" on MM as anywhere else.

If the person trying to work with you doesn't have adequate references/website/samples to make you feel comfortable, just press delete. That goes whether it's on here or on your own.

This! --- But I'd strongly recommend removing your email address.  If they're too incompetent or too lazy to secure a free MM account, why would you want to take any more time vetting them?  That fact alone should disqualify any photographer.

All IMHO as always, of course.

May 19 15 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

moniquetm wrote:
Hi, I'm new to mm so I have a few questions.
I've had a few new photographers reach out to me on my email saying that they seen my mm profile but they don't have an mm account, and because they are just starting they don't have a portfolio or website and they want to do a shoot in their home.
I know I'm not wrong for being suspicious or paranoid but just wondering has anyone else experienced this? and is there anyways you can guarantee your safety if you decide to go for the shoot? or is it just a bad idea to go at all.

Its sapm. Don't add your e .mail to your MM account.  That is why you are getting info from others that don't have a mm accounts. (Your only 67lb's?) 137 maybe!  smile

May 19 15 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

if they don't even have 4 semi-ok photos to start a mayhem account what are the odds you will get any decent pictures for your efforts?

for my part i started shooting out of the garage but i did have a mayhem account (as did the wife). i attended a free strobist event and that's where i got the 4 photos i needed to join mayhem.

unless the photographer can produce a reference or at least some photos i might pass. they can hire a traveling model for $100/hour to get started.

you could offer to meet the photographer at starbuck's to chat or go visit his home in advance of the shoot (i had one model and her husband swing by to check us out a couple days before the shoot).

regarding safety, i think we all take our chances and there are no guarantees. but for my part i do try to avoid unnecessary risk.

May 19 15 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I'll play devil's advocate here.   How many of us started with just a camera.   No models or even images of friends to post.   You want to shoot models like the OP, you see her email address so you contact her.   A email address isn't a home phone number or address and as for safety.   In a age where people post their  intimate moments and personal info on Facebook...   I would say rather then turn down offers from those who are new or aren't members is to judge each person based on what they are saying.   I'm not saying to not use caution or common sense but goodness if fellow photographers are suggesting that other photographers could be dangerous what does that say about all of us as a group.

OP, there are things you can do to vet people.   Although I would avoid going to someones home.   Ask to meet before a shoot at a coffee place for instance.   Bring a friend if you can.   Explain that because you are being careful that you might require any sessions be done in a public place like a park, etc.   Are they also on Facebook or other social networking sites?
When I joined this site I didn't have much to display.   My point is don't reject people because they aren't on this site or have little to no work.

May 19 15 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
...  Work with reputable people who you can verify.  Tell people where you are going.  Do not make last minute changes.  Do not get into cars with strangers unless you have arranged the transportation in advance...  Don't put personal information on FB... you didn't learn to protect your identity or access to you.

If you must get into a car with a photographer, snap a pic of his auto tag with your cell phone and send it to a friend.

When you arrive on site, it never hurts to call a friend and say traffic was OK/bad/etc but I'm here now.  Let the photographer watch you make the call.  When you leave, call the friend and say that you are leaving and will meet him/her at [location] in xx minutes.

May 19 15 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Strongly advise that you remove your email from your profile! It is visible to every scammer & pervert in the world!
Don't trust random outside emails, and Don't Reply to any you will now be getting! It gets passed to scam lists.
Instead, use MM's private internal messages with members, and be very selective about who you give your email.
As mentioned, MM members have a portfolio you can view, and you can internally check their references/character,
and credentials with those they have already worked with.

Create a new email, strictly for modeling, without your name in it.

May 20 15 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

No, this is the internet - it is NOT safe!

May 20 15 02:28 pm Link