Forums > General Industry > Ever go on Craigslist and see..

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Ever go on Craigslist and see someone selling all their gear and think to yourself... well there's another person who's dreams all went up in smoke..

May 19 15 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Marriage does that to a guy.

May 19 15 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Or it's all stolen gear.

May 19 15 03:57 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

My husband is a filmmaker... He still has all his gear, and is nowhere near thinking of selling it.

May 19 15 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

some would argue it's better to try and fail than to not try at all. but some would argue the best thing is to have a sugar mommy/daddy or trust fund.

what i enjoy are the fire sales from a bitter spouse/girlfriend.

May 19 15 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Images by MR wrote:
Or it's all stolen gear.

Yes!

May 19 15 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Moody

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Reality is a bitch sometimes.

May 19 15 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

John Jebbia wrote:
Ever go on Craigslist and see someone selling all their gear and think to yourself... well there's another person who's dreams all went up in smoke..

it's all stolen and they will meet you in a parking lot. With a gun to take your money!

May 19 15 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

DwLPhoto

Palo Alto, California, US

Or maybe they upgraded.  There's a store in Palo Alto that has  used top end gear all the time because people upgraded.  And mid grade gear as well.  With all the country clubs around here with a $100,000+ buy in, a few thousand isn't all that much to some people

May 19 15 10:25 pm Link

Photographer

Joshua Morrison

Columbus, Ohio, US

Nothing wrong with asking why someone is wanting to sell a lot of gear.

I know a guy that was giving away over $1400 just in lenses for $450, and I shot him an email asking why, he said it was junk taking space in his closet.

May 20 15 06:24 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Times change and so do dreams.   I hard a hard time giving my old film SLR gear away.   Ironically, I gave it away because my photography dreams were awakened, inspiring me to update my gear.

May 20 15 07:12 am Link

Photographer

Barry Kidd Photography

Red Lion, Pennsylvania, US

I have bought glass off of crags list but only old glass. 

Once I got a second hand copy of a Nikkor 105 mm micro that was manufactured in 1984.  Now I have two of those, one I bought myself in 1985 and it's my favorite micro lens by far.  It far and away out strips anything made today for sharpness.

I also got my hands on a 28 mm f/3.5 (ai converted) that was manufactured in 1960 for only 35 bucks. That one is now my best go-too lens for many field jobs where there is a chance of damage to newer glass.  Things like structure fires, vehicle accidents in the rain or other bad weather etc.  As my camera has been hit with high pressure fire streams more than once these things come in handy.

In cases like this people aren't getting rid of their dreams.  These are people getting rid fantastic gear that they see as "old and out dated" but I still see many miles and many years of use left on it.

May 20 15 08:27 am Link

Artist/Painter

MainePaintah

Saco, Maine, US

John Jebbia wrote:

How do you that their dreams were not met, and now they are going on to bigger dreams?

May 20 15 08:34 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

A few months ago I bumped into a guy who was a guest at an event I was shooting. He introduced himself as a professional photographer, and said if I ever needed a second shooter to give him a call. I put his number in my phone and googled it when I got home...he had no website but tons of ads for really cheap photography work on craigslist. $400 weddings, $75 headshot packages, that sort of thing. I never called him and never got around to removing him from my phone.

Last week I saw an ad pop up on CL from someone who was closing their "studio" and had to sell off all their gear. It was one body, lots of lenses, a tripod, light stands, etc. I needed a few extra light stands so I figured I'd give this person a call and low and behold, the number was already programmed into my phone.

I bought the light stands from him real cheap and he had already sold most of his other stuff at super cheap prices just to get some cash. I guess nobody ever told him he can't earn a living buying all that gear and charging bargain basement prices thinking business would get better if he did.

May 21 15 02:05 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

John Jebbia wrote:

John, yes I've bought and sold on Craigslist... it is a marketplace that is widely embraced and oft utilized...

As for inferences on dreams?  conjecture, speculation, and assumption are not on my radar... That said, in our current society it is common knowledge that we are simply consumers, the product of lifestyle obsession...  many purchase high end photographic equipment as a fashion statement which is merely a vehicle of persona...

Stolen?  might follow the lead of one of the top dealers in "previously owned" photographic equipment... KEH
To sell to KEH they request the camera and/or lens serial numbers before they will provide a quote... For the naive, there are several large databases of stolen items... professional thieves realize this thus primarily amateurs rip off photo-gear since it is a major challenge to "fence"

btw, I assist many top commercial shooters in my market and the lion's share buy refurbished high end equipment directly from the manufacture... I paid half price for my refurbished high end bodies... and they have worked flawlessly...  Again one of the countless benefits from assisting... if you do you have aspersions to shoot commercially I can't not recommend a better way into the industry.

Interesting aside... One of the most gifted colleagues I gained while at a university who has become successful beyond expectations when I queried him recently about his path to success... he said simply...

Never be in a hurry to either buy or sell but rather deal with those who are...     

Final thoughts?
Take care less... The things you own end up owning you...

Hope this helps...
All the best on your journey...

May 21 15 08:36 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Images by MR wrote:
Or it's all stolen gear.

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
Yes!

dang, i must've bought tons of stolen equipment then.

May 21 15 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Speaking so, just sold my Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 EX thru craigslist.

smile

May 21 15 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

Eric_Takes_Pictures

San Diego, California, US

Not just photography gear.
I've been a musician my whole life and buying used gear is essential to stretch the dollar and get the best possible.
I've lost count of how many times I scored some incredible gear from someone who had no intention of replacing/upgrading the gear they were selling. Just throwing in the towel.
The most common reason seems to be marriage, and spouse felt the "hobby" was childish.

I've always found this incredibly sad. Instead of encouraging one to never give up and push for greatness, one has to decide between a spouse or a dream.

Or, maybe, it was never really a passion. I'd never consider selling my photography gear or music gear because a spouse didn't see the point and(or) felt it was a waste.

I have bought and sold gear on Craigslist. Why not? If I'm not using a lens, let someone else save some cash and I can use the money for something else. Starbucks is the default meet up place, well lit, and plenty of people, and they are everywhere so there is always one close by.

May 21 15 11:12 pm Link