Forums > General Industry > Got critters?

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

I have come across this a few times now and feel compelled to say something:

photographers, please, for the love of all that's good and fluffy, SAY SOMETING if you work out of your home and you have pets.

I have stepped into the umpteenth photographer's den now, to work out of their kitchen/garage/living room/bedroom/whereverthefucktheyshootat, only to be greeted by someone knee-high and beady eyed.

Now I love all mother Nature's creatures, but some of the gals you may want to point your fancy apparatus at may be sniveling messes if you wait to ask them if they are allergic to your dog until they meet face-to-face. (That's how one particular group shoot ended in a shit-show: model allergic and has to go home, ratio already super tight... Good times. )

"Oh I hope you don't mind, I have a [insert your critter here]",  is super cute, and thankfully I am not afflicted, but 'minding' and being blindingly allergic are two different things. 

I know a bunch of youse who've shot themselves in the foot by hiring a gal only to have to send her home after 5 minutes of hanging out with Cujo or Mr. Mittens.

May 26 15 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

Maxximages

Los Angeles, California, US

Yep i mention my 2 puppies in all my first messages. Not only for allergy sake but some people may just have an aversion to dogs or whatever your pet maybe.

May 26 15 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

I know businesses that have pets in the office or shop too.

May 26 15 01:41 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

KungPaoChic wrote:
I know businesses that have pets in the office or shop too.

And that's their business.
With people who walk into that business with the option to leave immediately if they find it to their dislike, since they are the ones who shop, not the ones who are bringing the business.

A model walking into a job not knowing there is/ are [again, insert critter] , is different than your insurance guy taking his terrier to the office which I can choose to leave.

If  I show up and get blinded immediately, because they forgot to mention you have pets, I will still want to get paid, shoot or no shoot. I did my part by letting them know I do not shoot outdoors in certain States because the bugs will send me to the ER, for example.

I think it's just as much the photographer's responsibility to advise about pets as they would advise about rusty nails in abandoned structures, poison Ivy in the shooting area outdoors, and other crap that would sincerely diminish a  model's ability to work (which is supposedly why one gets hired. To work, not to hang out with your pets).

And every time I read any of your posts, all I do is get the munchies!!! GAR!!! lol

May 26 15 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Anything against pet rocks with googly eyes?

May 26 15 02:59 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

My ex-husband was one of those highly allergic types. He couldn't be in my house for 10 minutes and was an absolute mess and wheezing. My half-sister was bitten by a dog when she was little and she is still traumatized from it. I imagine shooting with a dog loose would be a no go with her as well.

May 26 15 04:34 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

If I have photographers shooting in my apartment, I always mention that I have 3 cats early on.

May 26 15 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

P I X I E wrote:
If I have photographers shooting in my apartment, I always mention that I have 3 cats early on.

And you could not pay me to shoot you in your house. So I get it.

And it matters not what the critter.

I have had a model state that she would not step into a house with snakes, even if they were under lock and key (figuratively) in another room.

And another model only allowed me the privilege of shooting her, because it was going to include one of the snakes.

And the model is due the minimum agreed amount, if she has to leave due to allergies.

May 27 15 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

we have cats and always mention that upfront.

May 30 15 07:36 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I have these Critters.

https://www.chud.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/critters20.png

May 30 15 07:41 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Herman Surkis wrote:

And you could not pay me to shoot you in your house. So I get it.

And it matters not what the critter.

I have had a model state that she would not step into a house with snakes, even if they were under lock and key (figuratively) in another room.

And another model only allowed me the privilege of shooting her, because it was going to include one of the snakes.

And the model is due the minimum agreed amount, if she has to leave due to allergies.

I completely understand. I would hate to make anyone uncomfortable.

May 30 15 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

P I X I E wrote:

I completely understand. I would hate to make anyone uncomfortable.

Unless you had medivac, in which case...

May 30 15 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Yes, it should be mentioned up front and in advance, period.

Of course, many people don't think of others, and many can be so used to their pets that it genuinely does not cross their mind.

Personally, if you ever come here, I will try to see if the sloth can be gone.

May 30 15 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

Emanelle Photography

Le Roy, New York, US

Up to fairly recently we had 4 rabbits, 2 cats and a bird, I would have felt obligated to mention that little fact.

May 31 15 07:51 am Link

Photographer

JDF Photography

Marengo, Ohio, US

The issue of allergies, especially to cats (we have two) is brought up right from the beginning. If the model is allergic we shoot elsewhere. jmho

May 31 15 10:26 am Link

Photographer

TheNormGallerys

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Reasons to NOT BOOK with TheNormGallerys!
Your reasons "allergies to felines"
#1, I have three rescued kittens / cats living in this studio / condo with me!
My reasons "not that bright, low I.Q., drug use, abuse"
#2, Smokers, due to body-odor, and breath that would stop a turd in mid-drop!

May 31 15 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Sungoddess Studios

Keyport, New Jersey, US

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7728/17703574384_6c25484d1f_z.jpg_MG_7786 by Philip  Levy, on Flickr

In his 10 year lifespan he didnot miss one photoshoot or 1 photo-op

May 31 15 05:53 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

DougBPhoto wrote:
Yes, it should be mentioned up front and in advance, period.

Of course, many people don't think of others, and many can be so used to their pets that it genuinely does not cross their mind.

Personally, if you ever come here, I will try to see if the sloth can be gone.

I was rather hoping to hang out with the sloth.
I slothe well. smile

May 31 15 06:46 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Sungoddess Studios wrote:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7728/17703574384_6c25484d1f_z.jpg_MG_7786 by Philip  Levy, on Flickr

In his 10 year lifespan he didnot miss one photoshoot or 1 photo-op

Precious!!!!!!

May 31 15 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Amadea T wrote:
I was rather hoping to hang out with the sloth.
I slothe well. smile

It would probably be the highlight of his lifetime, especially if you can talk golf, LOL

May need to find a new pet, the cat is becoming long in the tooth.

I wish someone would breed smaller sized german shepherds!!

May 31 15 09:17 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

DougBPhoto wrote:

It would probably be the highlight of his lifetime, especially if you can talk golf, LOL

May need to find a new pet, the cat is becoming long in the tooth.

I wish someone would breed smaller sized german shepherds!!

They do.

My aunt used to have one. Nando. Not a working dog like the standard size ones but cute as a button.

Jun 01 15 05:53 am Link

Photographer

East West

When I scout locations, I will take note if the location has pets. I will make this known to crew and models.

Jun 01 15 08:17 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

I choose not to have any animals for partly that reason.  And partly because I'm totally lazy but weird about smells.  I've been in few homes where I am surprised if I see a cat.  I can often tell immediately after entering the house that telltale ammonia smell.

Dogs are different.  They usually don't smell until they get up on you.  Unless the homeowner is a total slob.  But I can't have a dog either.  6am wakeups to go out doesn't fit my lifestyle.

As a result, no person has ever come into my house and had an allergic reaction.

Jun 01 15 08:30 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

MDWM wrote:
When I scout locations, I will take note if the location has pets. I will make this known to crew and models.

Your half- arsed attempt at sarcasm aside for a second,

I always appreciate being told whether there are fucking snakes in the outdoors I'm to be nekki in. There were more than a few occasions where I walked with a stick to stir up the old rattlers in CA...

Jun 01 15 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Amadea T wrote:

I always appreciate being told whether there are fucking snakes in the outdoors I'm to be nekki in. There were more than a few occasions where I walked with a stick to stir up the old rattlers in CA...

I have had rattlesnakes and scorpions at shoot locations.

Jun 01 15 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Amadea T wrote:

at mine.... Vipers and Cobras, oh my !!!

Jun 02 15 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

NYC fine art nudes

New York, New York, US

If I were a model and highly allergic to "critters", I'd simply ask during the back and forth of messages: "hey, would you happen to have any animals ? ...I'm really allergic to _____ ".
I wouldn't make the assumption that all photographers are going to be mindful of that and mention it from the onset.

Jun 03 15 03:24 am Link

Photographer

East West

Amadea T wrote:

I don't see how you see sarcasm in my comment...  I'm agreeing with you.

I'm mindful of people who have allergic reactions to animals.  When I scout a location, I want to know if there are any pets/animals to be concerned with. If someone in my crew or models have a problem with animals they can decide to work or not. 

I'm speaking from the commercial level of shooting where there's lots of money on the line and canceling a shoot because of someone's allergic reaction is not an option.

Jun 03 15 07:32 am Link

Photographer

Evenfall Photography

Menifee, California, US

Don't go near the door at the end of the hall!

https://wegeekgirls.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/hey-you-guys.png?w=640

Jun 08 15 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

And don't forget to mention if you have an attack cat (or whatever):

https://hollywoodwebs.com/AttackCat.jpg

Jun 08 15 09:35 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

NYC fine art nudes wrote:
If I were a model and highly allergic to "critters", I'd simply ask during the back and forth of messages: "hey, would you happen to have any animals ? ...I'm really allergic to _____ ".
I wouldn't make the assumption that all photographers are going to be mindful of that and mention it from the onset.

When shooting at your own house I would very much make the  assumption that you'll kindly let me know about the potential perils of your household. Just as much as you would let me know that you have a creepy neighbor and we can't use your back yard to shoot or where to park my vehicle, I would assume you'll advise of Cujo/Mr. Mittens/Ringtailed Lemurs.

Just like I would assume that people coming to my house to shoot would be interested to know that I have pet rats and a bunch of other fluff.
Some are afraid of dogs.
Some just don't like any animals.

Jun 10 15 04:50 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Dea and the Beast wrote:

When shooting at your own house I would very much make the  assumption that you'll kindly let me know about the potential perils of your household. Just as much as you would let me know that you have a creepy neighbor and we can't use your back yard to shoot or where to park my vehicle, I would assume you'll advise of Cujo/Mr. Mittens/Ringtailed Lemurs.

Just like I would assume that people coming to my house to shoot would be interested to know that I have pet rats and a bunch of other fluff.
Some are afraid of dogs.
Some just don't like any animals.

Pet rats!!!
So if I catch the next plane...?

Jun 10 15 05:57 pm Link