Forums > Critique > new avatar :)

Photographer

juliarabkin

Rochester, New York, US

From my latest work with Elite Model Management in Toronto, Canada!

xox
J

May 28 15 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

My compliments Julia

Enchanting elegance... superb rendering of a chic talent... iconic porcelain skin... masterful illumination and lens work... beautiful pastel wash effect totally takes this vision of Lenna over the top... wonderful synergy with Lenna and Kris... 

btw, by retaining Lenna's skin texture you have created an image to be cherished by your makeup artist Kris...
This is a hallmark of those with tenure shooting agency talent... you are indeed a master of your craft...

Kudos to the entire team here...

May 28 15 10:04 am Link

Photographer

juliarabkin

Rochester, New York, US

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:
My compliments Julia

Enchanting elegance... superb rendering of a chic talent... iconic porcelain skin... masterful illumination and lens work... beautiful pastel wash effect totally takes this vision of Lenna over the top... wonderful synergy with Lenna and Kris... 

btw, by retaining Lenna's skin texture you have created an image to be cherished by your makeup artist Kris...
This is a hallmark of those with tenure shooting agency talent... you are indeed a master of your craft...

Kudos to the entire team here...

Thank you!

May 28 15 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150528/09/55674823d0118_m.jpg
Composition, I would like to see you fill the bottom of the frame more. Simply move models left arm out to side a bit and shift camera to photo left a tad. The reason, if you leave a gap between photo border and model you give the viewer’s eyes a place to wander off the page.
Cheek makeup seems a bit distracting, small wisp of hair above models left eye you could Photoshop out
[What length lens did you use 35MM camera equivalent? There almost seems to be a bit of perspective distortion while looking at her nose, longer lens would help tame that]
However this is a very compelling image, great background blur, eyes in sharp focus
I wish you well

May 29 15 04:21 am Link

Photographer

juliarabkin

Rochester, New York, US

Lee_Photography wrote:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150528/09/55674823d0118_m.jpg
Composition, I would like to see you fill the bottom of the frame more. Simply move models left arm out to side a bit and shift camera to photo left a tad. The reason, if you leave a gap between photo border and model you give the viewer’s eyes a place to wander off the page.
Cheek makeup seems a bit distracting, small wisp of hair above models left eye you could Photoshop out
[What length lens did you use 35MM camera equivalent? There almost seems to be a bit of perspective distortion while looking at her nose, longer lens would help tame that]
However this is a very compelling image, great background blur, eyes in sharp focus
I wish you well

There shouldn't be an distortion as it was shot with a 70mm and I like the make up I feel like it adds to the shot.

May 29 15 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

juliarabkin wrote:
There shouldn't be an distortion as it was shot with a 70mm and I like the make up I feel like it adds to the shot.

A good portrait lens starts at around 85 mm full frame up to 200 mm, some photographers even like longer, so at 70mm you are on the shorter end.
If you have never tried it, get a model and shoot at the various lens lengths, shoot at 50mm, 70mm 85mm, 100mm 200mm, then compare the printed photos after the shoot. Make sure the length of the head is the same in all prints. I actually tried 16mm to 500mm it was eye opening, my preference for a portrait like you photographed is to use 100mm.  If you try the experiment you may change the way you shoot today
As far as the makeup, I think the thing that most jumps out at me is what looks like a diagonal line from the inside corner of models right eye to the color area on cheek.
Hey, just like coffee shops everybody has their own idea on a great cup of coffee, does make life more interesting.

May 29 15 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

I like the image as is.
Moving the camera to the left would push the model's face into the right hand border.  Not a good idea.
Same thing with her arm and body.

May 29 15 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

Penumbra Photography

Sacramento, California, US

I like the composition, I wouldn't move her. I really like the soft elegant colors as well. Great capture OP.

May 29 15 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

juliarabkin

Rochester, New York, US

A 50 is a standard portrait lens. 85 is better but 70 is more than adequate for portraiture. 70 and 85 are fairly close, 85 is just a better lens.
Actually I just looked at the metadata and I shot my entire project at 85 so I really don't know what distortion you speak of. That's just the way her nose is... and I don't think it is at all bulbous or protruding.
The make up is called contouring and its something people either like or don't, but it's definitely on trend.
And the composition I feel is fine she takes up most of the frame without cutting her head off.

May 30 15 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Howard Tarragon

New York, New York, US

Julia, I have no problem with the model's face except for the irises of her eyes (in the large version).  It looks like they're all reflector, with little color. Other than that, beautiful shot.

By the way, are you using a full-frame camera or crop sensor? An 85 prime or zoom? What aperture?

Keep sending us pics!

May 30 15 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

juliarabkin

Rochester, New York, US

Howard Tarragon wrote:
Julia, I have no problem with the model's face except for the irises of her eyes (in the large version).  It looks like they're all reflector, with little color. Other than that, beautiful shot.

By the way, are you using a full-frame camera or crop sensor? An 85 prime or zoom? What aperture?

Keep sending us pics!

No reflector was used. Mark III with 8.5 1.2 mm

May 30 15 02:25 pm Link