Forums > General Industry > Who needs some amusement?

Photographer

Bilsen Galleries

CORTLANDT MANOR, New York, US

Been here since 2009 and I've had my share of no responses, wannabes, ozones and even a flake or two but today I fou7nd a new and amusing twist to the Mayhem.

Essentially, how did I offend someone by saying YES?

Short story --  Been talking to a model who is (until today) interested in a project I'm running.  We've been answering each other on time on FB messenger and finally got to a date.  Today she asked if she had to be in any particular state of undress.  I said NO up to her.  Then she said there were things she has always wanted to try and I said fine, totally up to her within the concept.  We set a date.

She needs to take the train to me and I said "I'll split the fare and feed you if you want" (It's a TF shoot and we both knew it going in).  She says she doesn't have the money to pay for transport to a TF shoot.  I respond, that that's reasonable, I'll reimburse her in full and does she want the date we agreed upon,  and then..........wait for it..........

She says no, that's OK. Thanks anyway.

I wrote back that I won't argue and wished her all the best and that deal is done.

Anyway, I'm not upset but I am bemused and not a little curious about how I offended her by saying I'd pay her fare and food in full.    AHHHHH life in the Mayhem.  LOLOL

Jun 02 15 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

Walnut Creek, California, US

Welcome to the mayhem!

smile

Jun 02 15 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

Bilsen Galleries

LOLOL ohh I've been here a while.

That's why I can laugh instead of rant.

Jun 02 15 03:11 pm Link

Model

Layla_B

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

She probably wanted to back out nicely.
I don't think you offended her in any way from what you've written as far as I can tell.

Jun 02 15 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Bilsen Galleries

Layla_B wrote:
I don't think you offended her in any way from what you've written as far as I can tell.

Can't argue but this all happened within 3 minutes.

Have to wonder what changed her mind from asking me if we could do a wet T-shirt look to cancelling out.

HMMMMM.  LOLOL

Jun 02 15 03:32 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

I'd have to see a transcript of the conversation. If you are talking wet t-shirts and the like you probably DID say something wrong. It doesn't matter who brought it up either.

Jun 02 15 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Bilsen Galleries

Actually no you don't need a transcript.   You have an accurate account. 

I'm neither outing nor ranting.  I am pretty much laughing and thought others could use  the giggle.

Jun 02 15 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

Yup... TFs are strange like that sometimes. I look at it as no skin off my nose. I did alot of tfs when i first joined mm.

I didn't take TFs too serious. If they want to shoot, and we've made arrangements, no call the night before is a cancelation. That just means i get to sleep later n have a freeday to play with other things that normally keep me busy. The joy of retirement!... Im just having fun to stay active in something i love doing... Photography.

Im also only shooting one lady because of the pita involved with the hastle of finding n actually shooting those beauty queens n divas.  My model, Angie Angelina, never flakes, we get along great n enjoy sharing n experimenting ideas, outfits and locations.

Jun 02 15 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

KeithD3

Saint Joseph, Missouri, US

Got to admit that is a new one!  lol.  Maybe she didn't even have the money to get there and then be reimbursed.  But I'm just grabbing for straws here.  You never know what is in the mind of others.

Jun 02 15 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

My guess? She doesn't feel like traveling and used the money as an excuse, not thinking that you would offer to pay.

Jun 02 15 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Seiran

Topeka, Kansas, US

Very entertaining read.

Jun 02 15 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

Feverstockphoto

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

Bilsen Galleries wrote:
She says she doesn't have the money to pay for transport to a TF shoot.  I respond, that that's reasonable, I'll reimburse her in full and does she want the date we agreed upon,  and then..........wait for it..........

If she says she doesn't have the money to pay for transport, then i'm guessing maybe she was hoping for the money upfront. Reimbursing would presumably be after travelling, which if you don't have the money to travel in the first place would be useless.

Just a guess smile.

Jun 02 15 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Bilsen Galleries

Feverstockphoto wrote:

If she says she doesn't have the money to pay for transport, then i'm guessing maybe she was hoping for the money upfront. Reimbursing would presumably be after travelling, which if you don't have the money to travel in the first place would be useless.

Just a guess smile.

That's a possibility but on a 1st shoot I will reimburse, not front the money.

I was born at night, but not LAST night.  LOLOL

Jun 02 15 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

Bilsen Galleries

KeithD3 wrote:
Got to admit that is a new one!  lol.  Maybe she didn't even have the money to get there and then be reimbursed.  But I'm just grabbing for straws here.  You never know what is in the mind of others.

Agreed we never know. 

Honestly, I have 15 others (regulars and 1st timers) looking to shoot so I am not at all butt hurt.  Just found it curious that I called her bluff with no idea I was doing so.

Jun 02 15 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Vallejo, California, US

Actually, it is not a new one.

It is the old "bait and switch"

A number of models use it here

They respond to a TF or TFP shoot .... showing interest and keeping the subject going until the last minute so to speak

Then just as you are at the point of too late to get another model they  say "but I don't have the money to get to you" something like that. Then waiting for you to (Mr. Gullible) offer $$$. They got you. That is what they were wanting all along, money.

Been there. And I just move on.  NEXT!!

smile

Jun 02 15 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

Layla_B wrote:

+1

A woman's right to change her mind.  Happens all the time.  Well, not every time, but fairly often. 

Stay cool.  Nice response.

Jun 02 15 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

altSWANK

Maplewood, New Jersey, US

OP, you've got about five minutes before the trolls show up to dissect every word you've written and the white knights appear to tell you that YOU must have done something wrong.  lol    Get ready for it. 

My guess is that she really liked the idea of shooting with you, the concept, etc. but when she realized it would actually take some work on her part (as in traveling), she backed out. 

Please be sure to share the name of this "time waster"...uh, I mean, NY model with your local photographers.   smile

Jun 03 15 07:37 am Link

Model

Shei P

Brooklyn, New York, US

Just a typical last minute flake and she found something better to do. I see this happen all the time.

Or maybe bait & switch. Just get used to it.

Jun 03 15 08:10 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

I don't see this as any big deal.  She declined the shoot.  Oh well.   If she'd no showed or something like that.  In this case, she changed her mind and politely declined.   As I said, no big deal!

Jun 03 15 08:28 am Link

Photographer

DeanLautermilch

Sebring, Florida, US

I have a number of TFs hold out for car or bus fare for a shoot. Some have done it at the last minute. I stick to the offer I make and that does not include any money changing hands.

Jun 03 15 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Bilsen Galleries wrote:
Can't argue but this all happened within 3 minutes

A 3 minute messaging session on FB? That is lightening speed negotiation right there!  You can't message each other that fast on MM!  That was odd, but it might have been a test?  She wasn't serious?  A wide range of reasons, but you only spend 3 minutes chatting, so no loss, and a bit of amusement gained.  wink

Jun 03 15 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

altSWANK wrote:
OP, you've got about five minutes before the trolls show up to dissect every word you've written and the white knights appear to tell you that YOU must have done something wrong.  lol    Get ready for it.

Actually they are busy trashing Caitlyn Jenner on another thread.  tongue

Jun 03 15 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

Bilsen Galleries

Patrick Walberg wrote:

A 3 minute messaging session on FB? That is lightening speed negotiation right there!  You can't message each other that fast on MM!  That was odd, but it might have been a test?  She wasn't serious?  A wide range of reasons, but you only spend 3 minutes chatting, so no loss, and a bit of amusement gained.  wink

Actually I'm surprised I haven't been cut up more yet.  LOLOL

Pat, that 3 min message exchange was after several exchanges about the shoot.  I agree no big deal but this was the final set up contact, not the initial discussion.

Jun 03 15 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

Bilsen Galleries

GPS Studio Services wrote:
I don't see this as any big deal.  She declined the shoot.  Oh well.   If she'd no showed or something like that.  In this case, she changed her mind and politely declined.   As I said, no big deal!

I thought I made No Big Deal clear in the OP.  We agree in any event.

Jun 03 15 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

I have an 85 message string sitting in my mailbox.
First cancellation was 15 hours before the shoot.
Alleged food poisoning. Fine..  It's happend to me, guts violently turning inside out 20 minutes after eating fast food fried chicken from a place with a state in it's name.

Alternate time/date scheduled for a couple of weeks later. 
Time/place confirmed the evening before.
Had the gear packed in the car ready to go.
The second cancellation was 15 minutes before I was set to leave.  "I feel sick, don't come" was the message..

I will point out that the initial contact was from the model.

Jun 04 15 04:37 am Link

Photographer

OpenMind Photography

Madison, Alabama, US

TouchofEleganceStudios wrote:
Actually, it is not a new one.

It is the old "bait and switch"

A number of models use it here

They respond to a TF or TFP shoot .... showing interest and keeping the subject going until the last minute so to speak

Then just as you are at the point of too late to get another model they  say "but I don't have the money to get to you" something like that. Then waiting for you to (Mr. Gullible) offer $$$. They got you. That is what they were wanting all along, money.

Been there. And I just move on.  NEXT!!

smile

+1

Jun 04 15 04:51 am Link

Photographer

Bilsen Galleries

Michael Bots wrote:
I have an 85 message string sitting in my mailbox.
First cancellation was 15 hours before the shoot.
Alleged food poisoning. Fine..  It's happend to me, guts violently turning inside out 20 minutes after eating fast food fried chicken from a place with a state in it's name.

Alternate time/date scheduled for a couple of weeks later. 
Time/place confirmed the evening before.
Had the gear packed in the car ready to go.
The second cancellation was 15 minutes before I was set to leave.  "I feel sick, don't come" was the message..

I will point out that the initial contact was from the model.

LOL have had a few of those too.

I just think this one was something new.  Maybe not based on other thoughts here.  I guess bait & switch is possible but if so she needs to practice.  The shoot was 10 days away and I have 3 others who asked for that date so switching models was easy.

Jun 04 15 01:12 pm Link