Forums > Photography Talk > Easton Town Center, Columbus Ohio - NOT OK W/PHOTO

Photographer

wskel

Columbus, Ohio, US

I'm putting this here because I don't know where else to put it and it appears everyone else is putting locations in title...

I tried to schedule a day-long model shoot with them. I also discussed another shoot that would be another day for an hour or two. About 6 minutes after the call she called back and said she could not approve me.

She refused to go any further except to say timing. I asked what about the other shoot I didn't know the date for and she said no to that too.

I do know the one date I requested off the top of my head was already filled at the exact location I wanted.

It's safe to say this facility is NOT model photography friendly. Media friendly I'm sure but I don't get any vibes they're OK with models.

I discussed that the models would be wearing upscale attire like what is available at Easton.

So maybe it was a misunderstanding since the phone signal was poor, but given the fact I was denied 6 minutes after requesting approval I would say it's a safe bet this facility isn't model photography friendly.

Be alert - you have to call an outside PR firm to even get permission and Easton is very secure and not afraid to post that you will be arrested for violating their rules. All of Columbus, Ohio seems pretty fascist about anything (whereas Orlando, Fl not so much unless it's at Disney, whole other story there).

Jun 23 15 11:38 am Link

Photographer

Keith Allen Phillips

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

Did they request to see your portfolio, website, etc.?
If so, it wouldn't take very long to make a decision one way or another based on what they thought of your work.
That would seem like the most obvious problem to me IF this is a place that even allows shoots on a regular basis. Or maybe they never allow shoots and the person you made the request to initially didn't know that and found out once she got off the phone with you.

Jun 23 15 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

apply for your permit in person.

Jun 23 15 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

One says apply in person, I say forgot about it and move on.  I've seen everything from "no photography, no how, now way" to a very upscale restaurant saying only if it's in an upscale magazine they approve of, to "only if you were Ansel Adams or Annie Leibovitz"  ( don't know how's they're on the same level). 

There are a million reasons, most won't make sense so why dwell on it... just move on.  The biggest thing you have to figure out is what do they get out of it ?  Why would they do it ?   Some unknown photographer running around getting in paying customer's way may not be beneficial to them.

Jun 23 15 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Vector One Photography wrote:
One says apply in person, I say forgot about it and move on.  I've seen everything from "no photography, no how, now way" to a very upscale restaurant saying only if it's in an upscale magazine they approve of, to "only if you were Ansel Adams or Annie Leibovitz"  ( don't know how's they're on the same level). 

There are a million reasons, most won't make sense so why dwell on it... just move on.  The biggest thing you have to figure out is what do they get out of it ?  Why would they do it ?   Some unknown photographer running around getting in paying customer's way may not be beneficial to them.

Good observations.

It takes 3 components to make a shoot, listed in order of motivation: Photographer, model, and location.

Since locations are the least willing, those that are least likely to "object" should be considered first.

Jun 23 15 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Joshua Morrison

Columbus, Ohio, US

With so many brands and corporations at Easton, it's not surprising they said no. There are probably contract provisions between the mall and the stores that photography, commercial or not, would be prohibited.

Jun 24 15 06:25 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Most of the mall operation would not allow you to shoot there.  If you must shoot there, shoot with the guerrilla style.  That what I would do.  If this is for a commercial production, then find another place.

Jun 24 15 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Optical Prime

Arlington, Virginia, US

I would generally meet face to face for these kinds of things if someone hasn't already arranged it for you. If this is a personal project you just have to put that extra energy into it, in general it sucks. Being that I shoot in DC most, I make the client call, not because I'm lazy but they need to hear it from the location people to really take it in. It's their money and I don't make it a habit to be the go between. Granted this is typically dealing with engagements and them not just understanding the ownership, permits, and security concerns that vary place to place. Union Station, not going to happen without a ridiculous permit, Reagan National, good to go within reason.  A lot of outsiders don't get how difficult it is to get permission these days.

Anyway, others said meet face to face and to move on. If you really want to shoot there, I suggest going over their head. Call the corporate headquarters that owns the mall, get a hold of their PR people and talk it out with them.

Another thing, which often helps sweeten the deal is offering them something, whether you shoot an interior or exterior of something on site they don't have recent images of but only offer to shoot something you can do the same day. Don't get conned into shooting an event for free, I've kne
w someone who did that. Made zero sense to me. Another thing to offer is that you will be putting pro grade pictures on social media and you can tag or use whatever hashtags that gain them visibility, within reason.

At the end of the day, you are taking better pictures than every person zipping around shooting selfies and other smart phones shots. They probably rarely if ever hire anyone to shoot their facility. Better images floating around will help them. You just need to make them see that. But also be flexible of what they might not want advertised.

I would also try to get access before the mall opens for the public. Be the smallest burden or inconvenience you possibly could be for their customers.

Just some thoughts, good luck.

Jun 24 15 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

chiamac

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

They must have felt that your idea had no benifit to them. Not a big deal, wouldn't have expected them to say yes to some random request, and life goes on. Maybe work with one of the shops next time?

Of the times I've shot in the moa here and other malls it was at the invatition of the store or event. They took care of the paperwork and I just showed up.

Jun 25 15 07:39 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Malls are private property. Its there call. Since you applied and were turned down I would not suggest guerrilla shooting there.

Jun 25 15 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

Color of Boom

Panamá, Panamá, Panama

Well, honestly it may have to do with however you come across. What exactly did you communicate to them as to your intent and purpose?

First of all, face-to-face beats the phone every single time.

As a mall manager, the first thing I would have done was check your website/portfolio.  Honestly, had your wskel.com photos been the first I saw, I'm not sure I would have approved you either. The home page is full of scantily clad women, which is what I would have assumed you were going to do.  And then, if I clicked on Portfolio, you have to admit the first photos that show up aren't really of the highest caliber.  As mall management, you have your image to protect after all.

Then, I read your modelmayhem profile and think "wow, this guy comes off as a bit of a dick".  I can't remember anyone so full of himself and dropping (or attempting to) so many names/brands that they've not actually worked with/for.  Had I seen your profile, I'd certainly not ever allowed you near my mall. Do you think a mid-to-upscale seemingly family-oriented mall wants what you seem to photograph prancing around their mall?

Not trying to be combative, but trying to give an objective outside opinion as to what could have been factors involved in their decision to not allow you to shoot on their location.

Maybe they're just photographer unfriendly, but maybe it could have everything to do with how you communicate to them, and by communicate I mean over the phone, through your websites, and with your concepts.   

Also, look up the word fascist before throwing it about the way you do.  Just because their standards/taste/rules don't fit your needs doesn't make them "fascist"... really.

Jun 29 15 01:11 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Al Borrelli Photography wrote:
Well, honestly it may have to do with however you come across. What exactly did you communicate to them as to your intent and purpose?

First of all, face-to-face beats the phone every single time.

As a mall manager, the first thing I would have done was check your website/portfolio.  Honestly, had your wskel.com photos been the first I saw, I'm not sure I would have approved you either. The home page is full of scantily clad women, which is what I would have assumed you were going to do.  And then, if I clicked on Portfolio, you have to admit the first photos that show up aren't really of the highest caliber.  As mall management, you have your image to protect after all.

Then, I read your modelmayhem profile and think "wow, this guy comes off as a bit of a dick".  I can't remember anyone so full of himself and dropping (or attempting to) so many names/brands that they've not actually worked with/for.  Had I seen your profile, I'd certainly not ever allowed you near my mall. Do you think a mid-to-upscale seemingly family-oriented mall wants what you seem to photograph prancing around their mall?

Not trying to be combative, but trying to give an objective outside opinion as to what could have been factors involved in their decision to not allow you to shoot on their location.

Maybe they're just photographer unfriendly, but maybe it could have everything to do with how you communicate to them, and by communicate I mean over the phone, through your websites, and with your concepts.   

Also, look up the word fascist before throwing it about the way you do.  Just because their standards/taste/rules don't fit your needs doesn't make them "fascist"... really.

You've just won the award for the most well stated forum post this year!

https://drinagh.com/assets/images/photos/award.jpeg

Jun 29 15 08:42 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Wild Side wrote:
... but given the fact I was denied 6 minutes after requesting approval I would say it's a safe bet this facility isn't model photography friendly.

At least they're fast and efficient!
(quite frankly, not only would I take that as a "No", I'd take it as a "HELL NO!" which may or may not be the same amount of time they'd take to give a more qualified photographer an answer)

Jun 29 15 08:42 am Link